Jimquisition: Dynasty Warriors Is The Citizen Kane Of Gaming

I'mANinja

Aug 4, 2008
The thing that annoys me about DW is the crap load of games they make, with very little changed, it's the problem with games like Madden. I think cutting through throngs of enemies is a blast, and I do like DW games, especially DW: Gundam, but they release to damn many of them. Slow down the release schedule, and think of good features to add, and I will like DW even more.

DuelLadyS

Aug 25, 2010
I used to play the crap out of Dynasty Warriors, back about 3/4. I overdid it back then and haven't picked up anything newer (sort of a 'why bother if they're so similar' additude)- but I gotta admit, this really has me wanting to see how different things are now that we're several versions and a new game system in...

DW can also serve as an educational aid, I discovered... back when I was going through 4, i was babysitting a first grader. He fell in love with the game, got his own copy, and played it like crazy. So one day, I brought my copy of 'Mastering the Art of War', and in-between games I told him, "all these people? They were real. This all happened hundreds of years ago in China, and that guy *points to Zhuge Liang* wrote this book." I spent the next two weeks getting badgered for info on who was who and how they related to each other (he couldn't read well enough yet to make use of the in-game info). The hardest part was trying to explain Lu Bu/Diao Chan/Dong Zhuo without getting into too much... detail.

Yeager942

Oct 31, 2008
I love the Jimquisition. I must admit that I've never tried a Dynasty Warrior's game, but I was aware of its reputation. I think I should pick one up at my local store.

Zibong

Jun 16, 2011
As was said earlier, nice troll title there, Jim. I lol'd before I even clicked the link.

Seriously, though. DW is less Citizen Kane and more Jackie Chan during the 80's and early 90's. Campy as hell, predictable but consistent quality, and aimed toward Asian audiences. It's constantly overlooked by Western audiences, but still maintains a cult-like following in the West regardless.

Mar 28, 2011
I've not played Dynasty Warriors since 5 simply because i never know which one to get because there are so many versions. I do, however, pick up every installment of Dynasty Warriors Gundam that finds it's way to the U.K.

A game that mixes a love of Dynasty Warriors and Gundam? I THINK SO!

Panayjon

Aug 12, 2008
CrawlingPastaHellion said:
CriticKitten said:
Let's agree to disagree. I think the combat in all the DW games I played is pretty clunky. I like my combat to be fluent and "Devil Kings" surely delivers on that front.

Also, "Devil Kings" wasn't a knock-off of DW, but rather of the "Samurai Warriors" franchise (KOEI had nothing to do with it). But that's really beside the point, since you can argue as well that DW was a knock-off of "Streets of Rage", that in itself wouldn't make DW any less of a game. I know I'm going far here, but really, where does one draw a line? Next we'll be accusing HL to be a Doom-clone.

"Devil Kings" is even simpler than that: it drops the half-assed strategy, simplifies leveling by reducing the stats (still comes out better, there are a lot more special moves) and focuses more on the action. Since that's what mattered to Jim, I thought he should give that game a try and anyone that didn't try it should do too.

Yeah, also I couldn't care less if DW is being praised, that's called a "Bandwagon Argument", "Peer Pressure" or "Appeal to Common Practice". A fallacious argument. I.e.: the fact that DW is being praised does not make it better than "Devil Kings" in itself.

I liked what they tried to do with DW, seriously, mixing an action game and a war-game is a splendid idea. I love both genres. Yet DW suffers in execution and according to me a lot more could be done with that particular idea. Maybe I'd change my mind if I'd play the seventh game, but sadly I don't have a PS3 and I'm not planning on getting one any time soon.
I have no idea what you two are talking about but I just happened to go see the last page of the discussion. Both Samurai Warriors AND Dynasty Warriors were published through Koei by a studio called Omega Force. So a knock-off of Samurai Warriors might as well be a knock-off of Dynasty Warriors as both games were made by the same studio (who everyone mistakenly refers to as Koei).

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I'm confused...what actually makes it the Citizen Kane of Gaming?

It was hated when it first came out and is now primarily watched by film students and pretentious snobs who only care about artsy films*?

...I'm not seeing where the simile really comes into play here.

*For what it's worth, I do like Citizen Kane, I'm just not seeing how it relates to Dynasty Warriors.

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
I'm personally not the biggest fan of Dynasty Warriors, but...

THIS. GAME. IS. AWESOME!!!

Hypocrisy? Negligible. The devs and style of the game are the same, but it's set in medieval Europe instead of medieval China, with squad-based ass-kicking and a wonderful variety of enemies. Yes. Please.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Wait. People are agreeing with Jim? Or at least getting the joke? When did that start happening? I though people still disagreed with Jim, here.

Anyway, I haven't played too many Dynasty Warrior games, but I have enjoyed what I have played. I just wish the allies were able to cross the street without requiring you to hold their hands. Often times I found my allies died anytime a semi competent general or commander approached them. So, I would find myself choosing between saving an ally and taking a important point. If I was playing with a friend, this was made easier (we could do both). And that was really my only real complaint. Though, I haven't picked one up in a while. I might have to if they release another good one or an interesting spin off.

Aug 17, 2010
I Liked Dynasty Warriors back when it was actually trying to make people look like the way the actually were, but then I lost interest when the whole series took every single character, took one personality trait, and turned the dial till it broke, then fucked it.

Then added nothing to the gameplay.

King of Wei

Jan 13, 2011
Interesting episode as always.

Dynasty Warriors has been one of my favorite series of games since 4. Though I do prefer the romance of the three kingdom games more for the strategic depth, DW is still damn fun and the music's better.

Kinda amazed though how Koei can but put the same game two or three times a year for a decade and have the concept still be popular. They're sure as hell doing something right.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
This is the only episode of this I watched and liked. I am just going to end with this now. I really liked this episode, and I love Dynasty Warriors, so I may watch some more of his stuff now.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
I don't know jack all about Citizen Kane(I assume it's a genre defining film) so I can't say anything about the comparison Jim makes, but I did play a couple of Dynasty Warriors games and found them to be fun. They aren't deep and they aren't thought provoking but they do provide fun on a very basic level. Definitely a stress reliever.

... I didn't like the GBA one though.