Jimquisition: Fight in the Name of Childishness

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
We can't really sink to the level of demoralizing their forms of entertainment - this is America. All the rednecks would have a fit if you said "The bible condones violence, it leads to blahblahblah".

And, uhh, haven't we already kinda sunk to the immature level?

With all of the hackings, pranks, meme's, etc. It seems like we have a dedicated group of members trolling. The only reason we got a resonse from her is because we took a hit to her wallet, so she caved. Money speaks

Wuvlycuddles

Oct 29, 2009
Ah dude, I agree with Jim.... I feel dirty.

Now if only we can expand this philosophy, anyone else think a childish world war would be hilarious? Just imagine the childish pranks one could pull of with the united states military budget!

MikeZubz

May 19, 2009
Being childish doesn't necessarily mean being stupid. Some of those reviews were kind of clever.

The problem with what Geoff Keighley did was he tried to be articulate on Fox, where you don't have time to be articulate and correct. On Fox you're subject to unfair editing, no time to respond to a point before the next one is thrown at you, and just general herp-derpiness. He should have stuck to short, pithy statements that can't be edited. He shouldn't have asked: "Have you played the game?," and then responded to her answer. He should have just stated: "You haven't played the game, so you don't know what your talking about." Asking gives her a chance to dance around it, or quickly move from it. Places like Fox or talk shows aren't the place to be mature and intelligent, but places like articles and books, where someone has the time to break down arguments without being interrupted by a talking head, are. If we don't have those intelligent arguments available, what do we show to people who do become interested in the rights of videogames but don't necessarily play them?

Calum_M

Nov 20, 2009
Never thought about it that way, but your words do have the slight ring of truth to them.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
I love this guy... and he's right. Americans, no, people in general are stupid and will follow the loudest voice. WE MUST BE LOUDER.

SammiYin

Mar 15, 2010
I agree completely Jim, people take this medium far too seriously for it to be actually taken seriously. It's like someone insulting my action man and I respond by saying "I shall not sink to your level good sir, for you are too stupid to comprehend my arguments"

We need to be more childish, because being a child is fun, and games are meant to be fun. Remember that everyone.

May 17, 2010
Korolev said:
I agree with you. It's a non issuse in western societies. Games are here to stay. Honestly did the Fox case have any real effect on the sales of Mass Effect, as it hardly seems like they were influencing the demographic most likely to buy it.

Honestly I think it was silly to even participate in tehse debate, they are full of sound and fury but they mean nothing, don't affect anything and are utterly redundant.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Let's be honest. If you're the person representing the "other" side on Fox News, you automatically lose. People don't watch Fox News to be informed or to be enlightened. They don't want an honest debate. They just want their own view reinforced [footnote]And to be fair, the same goes for most every other major news network. MSNBC and Bill Maher does it for the liberal view while CNN...well, CNN has had a few people who attempt neutrality, but they haven't lasted long. CNN kind of caters to both sides, oddly enough. Even NPR isn't immune to this.[/footnote]. If you're the "other" side's representative, then you're just the avatar for their ire. You're fodder, and nothing more.

Honest discussions just rarely ever happen on any news network in the US. Ironically, the only place such discussions seem to take place are on parody news shows with guys like John Stewart (not that he's a bastion of truth. But the discussions are more balanced).

Anyway, I think Jim's point is right. There is no platform for reason in the media.

darthotaku

Aug 20, 2010
is it just me or has Jim started making better points? personally I'd love to see him go up against Fox news.

Sehnsucht Engel

Apr 18, 2009
I liked this guy from the beginning, now I look forward to his videos here every week. This was one of my favourites

lovest harding

Dec 6, 2009
I agree with the points to a limit, but if someone isn't that kind of person they shouldn't be expected to look like a child just because it could get more people to listen (or because you THINK it will get people to listen).
The only reason the Fox News people act like that is because they are that stupid and childish.

I won't pretend to be someone I'm not for a bigger audience, but I don't despise anyone who wants to do that kind of thing.
To each his own, as they say.

EDIT: I'm not against someone going on Fox News and trying to look just as stupid but louder, but you have to know where you are and who you're against.
When talking with real people (as in not online or on TV) if you look like a moron trying to shout from the roof tops that games are great and not harmful in some random form of chat speak, you're not going to win anyone over.
In a real debate, you want someone who can actually debate. On Fox News you want someone who can yell louder and still be coherent to droves of Fox News fans and conservative Christians.

Newblisk

Mar 26, 2009
I was with you all up into until you said there's no harm in fighting a childish fight. we don't need to lower our standards just to win a silly argument against a troll station like fox news, who is notorious for giving 100% Bias news for the sake of entertain. the fact is the argument has no merit. "there's sex in a video game" so? there's sex in movies, tv shows,online anything, hell even books and unless their selling it to people under 18 without a parent there's no news.

Honestly i think violence in games is 100% necessary in the world we live in. it acts as a catharsis and keeps otherwise violence people in check because they kill people in a consequence free environment instead of getting screwed in prison. the few that still act out is because they either don't play games, or they were going to do it regardless of games. i think the lives saved from giving people this virtual kill field far out weights that of taking it away.

Nuds1000

Aug 2, 2010
Robert Drapp said:
I have a weird thought: Why don't we let the aloof "Mature" gamers continue to try and educate the masses and in essence direct the army of childish? Aiming them where they are most effective when logic and reason fail. That to me would shatter any arguement from any bible thumping, anti-game idoit. You're video Jim, whether you realize it or not, just demonstrated that it works. Oh, you don't wanna listen to my valid arguements and simply resort to shouting? Fine. My Army of "childish" gamers will sink any product/book/movie/show to such a level that you'll need a new word to decribe how low you've sunk.
Yeah you hit the nail on the head there. I mean as long as the childish attacks are legal (not hacking) then what will they do? We have valid points to make about games but it critics don't listen and engage in a civil debate then sure lets sink their products just like they tried to do. The Sad part about all of this is that Fox news doesn't actually care about what they are slandering they and their experts are just doing it so they can scare people into watching their programming and buy their books. For anyone who hasn't seen it look up Penn & Teller Bullshit: war on video games its really good at explaining at what is going on here is a link:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a6a_1249075899

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Fox News doing an unbiased show? But they seemed so trustworthy! Next you'll tell me video games are fun!

Okay, I'll knock that off, it's universal knowledge that Fox News are a bunch of imbeciles who couldn't run a fair and balanced story if their lives depended on it, much less one that doesn't demonize video games and the much more mature than them six year olds who play them.

Thank god for Jim Sterling.

lovest harding

Dec 6, 2009
Newblisk said:
I was with you all up into until you said there's no harm in fighting a childish fight. we don't need to lower our standards just to win a silly argument against a troll station like fox news, who is notorious for giving 100% Bias news for the sake of entertain. the fact is the argument has no merit. "there's sex in a video game" so? there's sex in movies, tv shows,online anything, hell even books and unless their selling it to people under 18 without a parent there's no news.
Just to mention, unless there's explicit sex, I'm pretty sure children can buy books with sex.
At 12 I read a book about a girl who claimed all manner of sexual abuse from her parents including sexual abuse to an infant. I found that book in my middle school library.

EDIT: I think I may have read your post wrong. xD
Oh well. I'll keep this here. Just know that I recognize that I made an oopsy.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Fight sensationalism with sensationalism? No thanks. The fact of the matter is, it works so slowly, the eventual results never reach the public that the original argument is seen by. We who actually follow the subject may be vindicated... but the masses for whom the subject is just a footnote will have their minds made up by the initial argument. Quick question: did Fox News ever air that author's admission? Did they ever revisit their "se"xbox story? I doubt it.
I say argue with reason... but be more forceful. Don't call a **** a ****, but do call a lie a lie and rudeness rudeness when they happen. Be insulted, be contemptuous, and let it show a little. Increase volume and force... but without anger.

Bugerion

Jan 10, 2011
Revolution the only solution,the old response of an entire nation
revolution the only solution,we have taken all your shit now its time for restetution

I agree Fight fire with fire