Jimquisition: Fight in the Name of Childishness

Frankfurter4444

Aug 11, 2009
There is a strange logic behind acting like children to disprove the people who accuse video gamers of acting like children. Then again, it's hard to argue with results.

I personally agree with the part where he says I shouldn't care what other people think of gamers. So long as games I like keep getting made, Jack Thompson can call for a boycott of them all he wants, so long as I still get to buy and play it.

penguindude42

Nov 14, 2010
Simeon Ivanov said:
Games have gotten too serious nowadays ...(Ironically, Serious Sam is really funny and immature) What ever happen to the silliness in games? Why does everything need to be dark and gritty and mature ...
A-bucking-men to that, brother/sister.

{EXTRA TEXT TO AVOID MOD WRATH}

~Tom<3

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
<quote=Thomas Jefferson>Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them.I love this quote. Its so applicable in so many ways ^_^

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Would it be so hard to be the adult, but demand that the children shut up and listen to you?

Seives-Sliver

Jun 25, 2008
I believe we should be mature in the public eye, but the moment someone bashes us, we need to do all in our power to make sure they regret it. Perfect combo! Everyone loves us, and people will be scared of saying something completely false, untrue, and stupid

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Dok Zombie said:
The exact same thing happened on Alan Titchmarsh's daytime chat show. The game's industry bod (who's name I forget) was essentially shouted down and booed by an audience and panel of "experts" who had already made up their mind before the debate started. The guy remained calm and reserved throughout the whole thing, but failed to get his point across even remotely.

But then again, who give's two fuck's what what a TV gardener thinks about Grand Theft Warfare: Modern Killzone 3 anyway?
I'd have loved for him to have pointed out the 18 certificate on the 'aimed at kids' videogame at the very least.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
good points and i enjoyed this episode actually.
how many times i had to stand for my self as a gamer, that the rest is wrong who think bad about them, like these so called experts. my mother believed every shit she heard on TV about games (not fox. we dont live the USA) until i proofed her wrong by showing her the games she heard about on TV and that i dint turn out to be like them as the these idiots experts claim.
in germany, they always say that violent games make children take a gun and shoot other people. living in switzerland at that time, many people still believed it but switzerland as such doesnt have this silly policy as germany, that violent games should be banned or not be allowed to be sold.

i still remember that one expert in a talk show on german TV, talked about battlefield how bad this game is for the community. and guess what, he showed scenes from "world of warcraft". genius. i was laughing all way through because he was just talking one crap after another.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Hahahha... hell yahh some of us know you are right dude.

Thing is, whenever I discuss video games with those who don't partake, hardly any of them believe the hype from fox news or wherever. It's just gotten silly.

Entertainment is what people want from their news shows, not relevant factual information. Pop-psychologist screaming about misinterpreted research is entertainment. So is Amazon-bombing. Rock on.

I still think you should green-screen it and stand if front of the stills as you rant.

Ryu890

May 28, 2011
Father Time said:
Ryu890 said:
Hmm...if we need our own Jack Thompson.....
We do not need our own Jack Thompson.

Jack Thompson self destructed in a big spectacle and the Florida Legal System basically called him a no good liar when they stripped him of his law license.

He is now utterly irrelevant.
Yeah, you got a point. Good riddance to him.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
Top Hat said:
A very interesting & valid point, but it saddens me to think that immaturity is the only way to get results.
Not the only way and I don't think Jim is trying to push that. More that the school-yard soapbox is a means to balance the childishness of those who wage a culture war on a purely ideological foundation.

Maturity has its time and place, and so does immaturity. Let's face it, a lot of the big media outlets are nothing more than infotainment; one must adjust discourse accordingly in order to maximize impact.

Insightful point as always, Jim. *Farts* :)

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
Wait, hasn't science already proven that watching fox news makes you stupid [http://www.businessinsider.com/extended-exposure-to-fox-news-may-be-detrimental-to-your-intelligence-2010-12]? How is that relevant information nowadays?

Oh wait, because people still watch it.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
In every revolution, you need the thinkers to remind you what you're fighting for and the shitkickers to actually carry on the fight. In the war of cultural opinion, the shitkickers are the childish prats Jim advocates. Charles Darwin had the facts of evolution on his side, but was a non-confrontational type. It was Huxley who took Darwin's facts and rammed them down everyone's throats, loudly and obnoxiously.

So yeah, send out the barbarian hordes to hammer home the idiocy of FOX News, the sanctimonious moralists and the deluded watchdogs, but have the learned sages ready to back them up with facts and reasoned arguments.

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
That bit about "games being accepted as an art form" I found particularly comforting.

I hate that whole games as art debate. "Who gives a fuck" is the only point of view that really encompasses my feelings because at the end of the day I'll play whatever games I feel like regardless of whatever the popular opinion is.

I can with no reservation declare that Dino D-Day is no work of art, but regardless it is several hundred times more entertaining to me than The Great Gatsby or any other classic literature you can name.

It's the exact view that makes me turn away from Extra Credits and embrace The Jimquisition. One side thinks games are a creative artistic medium for the expression of ideas and the other thinks games are fun things that people play.

So... my point is, I suppose, that games aren't necessarily art (and who really gives a shit) and combining dinousaurs and nazis is a sure fire way to make money off people who in some way bear the memories of a 6 year old boy.

CBanana

Aug 10, 2010
I know of at least one victory that acting mature got gamers:

Supreme Court sees video games as art
http://articles.cnn.com/2011-06-27/tech/supreme.court.video.game.art_1_sale-of-violent-video-video-games-hansel-and-gretel?_s=PM:TECH

It's something that will of course have far more impact than any stupid Fox News debate.

Kenji_03

May 12, 2007
That was the most amusing counter-intuitive point I think I've ever heard. "Sinking to their level will convince others, being "mature" will make you look like an ineffectual prick".

Thank "God" for Jim XD

Zetsubou^-^

Mar 1, 2011
idk. immaturity gets results, but there's gotta be a way to stay on the same level as the opposition and win. in all honesty i think debate on this topic is stupid from the start. every form of media "CAN" and has inspired violence, but that doesn't mean it does to any significant degree, and restricting it will never stop it. the type of people that actually do cause violence after seeing/playing violent things will find the next thing to replace it. there is no censorship that will stop these people, because they are so easy to influence and often search it out/are drawn to it.

I'm not sure why the need to bash fox came up though. its a channel that bills itself as conservative, so of course its gonna have a majority of its speakers on the violence=violence side. its not like liberal stations are any better with other topics. i don't agree with either side on everything, but having everyone shout their own side while putting down the other is not constructive, and a waste of my time. yes each could stand to have a more even sided debate, but both of them are more concerned with their core audience. find the channel that doesn't make your ears bleed and watch it people.

Spyre2000

Apr 18, 2009
Let's see Mature Debate vs Childish Antics....

How about I'm to busy to give a damn what some up tight jerk offs think about gaming, that's time I could be spent gaming. I'll sit up and take notice when something major happens. Like that Supreme Court case Video Games won making them an art form.

As for EA not going after Fox... Did you see how they marketed Dead Space 2!?! Or several of their other previous titles? They seem to be of the mind set that scandalous is good for business.

Now if you'll excuse me I've got some video games to play.