Jimquisition: Fight in the Name of Childishness

KarlMonster

Mar 10, 2009
Father Time said:
Jack Thompson self destructed in a big spectacle and the Florida Legal System basically called him a no good liar when they stripped him of his law license.
Yep. He ignored the deadlines for his own disbarment hearings, if I remember correctly.
Now that's a stupid twat.

As for Jim. I have to disagree again.

All that childishness accomplished here, was a private vendetta against uh... whats-her-name. While she may have made a few statements retracting what she said afterwards, she most certainly did not do so on Fox News. Nor will any amount of vindictive childishness cause Fox News to issue an apology or a retraction for their opinions which were written in stone before airing. Thus your case for childishness is flimsy, and based on the limited results of harassing a single individual. That should not be held up as justifying poor behavior.

Fox News is beyond threatening or reasoning with at any level. During the fracas about getting a Universal Health Care law, they had an on-air interview with this guy who had assaulted a pro-health care protester. Naturally the pro-health care protester was the bad guy. Because after the second unprovoked punch to the face, the assailant's hand came away minus a finger. It had been bitten off. So according to Fox News logic; 2 counts of battery is not nearly as serious as being 'for' universal health care. Can you even arrest someone for biting a finger placed in their mouth?

beniki

May 28, 2009
Nah we need both. A mature spokesman and an infantile and aggressive soapboxer. You know, both a Harvey Dent and a Batman.

Or dare we say... like an Extra Credits and a Zero Punctuation?

Faux Furry

Apr 19, 2011
I almost agreed with your points,Jim,but that vest distracted me. A man of the cloth should always be wearing the proper cloth at the pulpit, therefore this is the highest form of heresy and your arguments are invalid.
Is that childish enough yet?

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
god jim is right!

we may still need the intellectual guy that can make valid points

but we also need the guy that can yell at everyone and call them fucktards for not seeing things his way while making shit up

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
I shall beg to differ with you Mr Stirling. Gamers are slowly becoming accepted because as a community, we have acted maturely (for the most part) over a long time. Most people who don't watch Fox News have noticed this and treat gamers with a little respect. (Much like those wonderful judges at the Supreme Court in the U.S.)

Those who are familiar with Godwin's Law will know that the first person to invoke fascism has normally lost the argument. Acting childish or resorting to shouting works in the same way - whoever does it lost the argument.

The person who truly wins the argument is always the guy who makes the most salient points and keeps his cool.

But why are gamers so interested in winning over Fox News? They're fools. Let's not get bogged down in what the likes of Fox News have to say, they simply aren't worth the hassle - they're trolls. By arguing with them, we feed them.

I say bollocks to Fox and let's get on with something a bit more worthwhile - like playing games. I cannot speak for the entire Escapist community, but I would rather lose a game honestly than win as a cheat. For that is the test of an honourable man.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
hermes200 said:
No, Jim. You are wrong. Your point is stupid and you are stupid for making it.

Mmmhh... I guess acting childish and talking out of my butt does makes me right. Good advice.
Contradiction, hurts me brain! ARGH
If Jim is wrong how can acting childish make you right? If you acting childish makes you right that makes Jim right and wrong at the same time!

Arthur Cammarono

Feb 18, 2010
I've tried to win an argument against an idiot before while still trying to be sensible, it doesn't work. Every time that you bring up a concept that they themselves are too stupid to understand, they simply laugh you off with the thought that you're just making things up.

Jan 27, 2011
I think that the healthy idea is a balance of smart and nasty.

We SHOULD respond to criticisms maturely and intelligently, but if the other side is full of shit and will not listen to reason, we SHOULD retaliate by calling them out on their BS directly. For example, glenn beck should be shouted down and made to look like a fool for what he said about the norway tragedy. And right wing overzealous Christian lobbyists who cry that games were the cause of the shooting should be told in no uncertain terms that the man believed himself to be a crusader protecting "european christendom from the evils of islam" and said as much himself, so THAT'S probably the cause.

And if they turn off our mics while we retaliate verbally, or shout over us and cut us off to stop us from making our points or do other unfair debating tactics, then yeah, sure, I think it's time to show them that they're not the only ones who can be dicks about stuff. At this point, Amazon bomb away, you crazy people.

TLDR version: Start off being mature and intelligent, but if they start slinging mud at you, then it's probably time to return fire.

E.m.S.

Oct 14, 2008
now (again) im kinda happy i live in the eu where reason (even in tv) is held higher than spouting pointless shit a bit louder than your opponent

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Finally, Jim Sterling justifies his existence. This is a point that HASN'T already been made by dozens of wittier and more insightful game commentators than Jim Sterling... and this also happens to be something that I have known and been pointing out for years now.

pyro42

Aug 22, 2009
wow i could not disagree with this video more, look what Jim is suggesting is a short term solution at best, and a complete demonstration of the industry at worst. I am a Christian, and I don't think video games are the devil. but what we are dealing with is an older generation that has not come to terms with the industry. This happened to movies and it will happen to what ever comes next. If we as gamers act in the way that Jim suggests then video games "time of troubles"(if you will excuse a D&D reference) will be even longer, now i respect Jim and i think he has had some good points, but i have to disagree with him on this one. Sorry Jim:-(

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
I stopped watching when one of the Related thingys at the top of the video was Fox News and Sex Box, yeah, no, those don't need to be talked about, since they have already buried themselves.

I just found it weird.

Mid-Boss

Jun 16, 2011
He's right. If we were arguing or trying to get our point across to sane, reasonable, people then... there wouldn't be an argument to begin with. But no, we're fighting against loud, manipulative, ass holes. When quiet logic fights loud stupidity, loud stupidity usually wins.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
I pissed myself laughing this episode.

As for the topic... immature or practical and reasoned - the people that talk smack like FOX about games won't listen and care either way, in my opinion. The points could be communicated in an infantile manner or in mature way. They've got their opinion (usually not based on experience of research) and they'll stick to them regardless of the delivery.