Jimquisition: Fish, FEZ, And Supporting Art Over Artists

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Japaneses game sells kinda empirically show that the games are not living up to the glory they once had as the only option.

I liked it when Megaman creator Keiji Inafune basically said Japanese developers stop being so damn xenophobic. He said it more tactfully but the message is the same.

Considering that recent polls show over 80% of japan is opposed to living next door to any foreigner with a large majority of the country also adamantly opposed to any immigration I think it's pretty clear who the real racists are.

JesterRaiin

Apr 14, 2009
Sylveria said:
As long as they're asking us to buy something, they need to be a salesman in public. (...)
Good point... Unless we're dealing with luxury stuff. And i guess we do.
For some, the dickerish attitude is more pro than con. :]

LostintheWick

Sep 29, 2009
Sylveria said:
JesterRaiin said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
whether or not we should support art even if we don't like the artist, and whether someone being an "asshole" ought to factor into the purchase of a product.
We crave for wonderful art, yet we can't stand providers not fitting our description of "correct behavior". Story old as the Mankind itself.
It won't change. It never changes. So does our hypocrisy. Ah well... Que sera, sera.
As long as they're asking us to buy something, they need to be a salesman in public. You can be a smug, egotistical, asshole artist and still make fantastic art that'll be appreciated as art, but once you start asking me to buy it from you, the dynamic changes. Sure, you made a great piece of art, but so have hundreds of other people, why would I buy your art when I can buy art from people who don't go out of their way to be an asshole to me? Sure, what you made could just be that good that its awesomeness completely drowns out the artist's assholery, but in this case? For a fair number of people, it isn't impressive enough to overlook the fact you're supporting a guy who will more than likely start spouting off on twitter about how good his sales are and how awesome he is.
I think it's better for people to just be themselves. If he thinks modern Japanese games are mostly crap, then let him say it. If someone says something, it doesn't change my opinion, mood, or attitude unless I let it. And what he said, although blunt, really isn't such a big deal.

If the guy didn't want an real answer, then why'd he ask? Maybe we should be mad at the guy asking the questions.

Acting like a salesman is like lying. You should be happy that you know what kind of guy he is. You're now an educated consumer.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
The statement that all Japanese games suck sounds like something rooted in frustration rather than racism. After all, I'd be lying if I said I want getting tired out with the endless stream of reboots, re-releases, and ports coming from Nintendo, and Square Enix hasn't exactly been hitting them out of the park lately either. Making obtuse generalizations is bad policy, but I think a can give this guy the benefit of the doubt.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
"All though you are perfectly free to spend your money on what ever the hell you wish....maybe give it to me"

~Jim

Fucking lol

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
Well Michael Jackson was accused of a lot of things and he's still selling records even in death, so the point is, Yeah maybe a game designer has some things to say, yeah maybe they have they're own opinions, but if its completely separate from the art/product/music/game they make then more power to em. I mean for crying out loud, everyones entitled to their own opinion and silly hang-ups. Yes I am aware anyone who is racist/homophobic is a massive cockbag, but if it doesn't come across in their work, nor is a central part of it, why should what they think be a reason to stop you from buying it?

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
illas said:
Fish said that "Japanese Games suck".
He didn't say "Japanese games suck because they're made by the Japanese".

The former is a judgement on the state of a country's games output; the latter is racist, as far as I'm concerned.
This guy is on the ball. Why aren't there more people like him.

Simonoly

Oct 17, 2011
Yay Fez! I loved that game up until the point it crashed and corrupted my save game......twice!

I never knew that repeating the same 6 hours of gameplay constantly was the main challenge of Fez. And there I was thinking it was to do with that darn perspective change! Fool!

Oh god I've forgotten what I was going to say in relation to the video now. Fuck!

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
Pfff...i don`t buy shitty indie games. They all suck. AAA all the way.
... and what about Fez? Is this one of those crap japanese games? It sure looks that way. I hate this sucky wannabe oldschool art. It`s like they combined NES Mario with the oldest 3d effects. Who wants to look at this shit? This would maybe work on a 3DS...and only there.

illas

RAWR!!!
Apr 4, 2010
him over there said:
illas said:
Fish said that "Japanese Games suck".
He didn't say "Japanese games suck because they're made by the Japanese".

The former is a judgement on the state of a country's games output; the latter is racist, as far as I'm concerned.
This guy is on the ball. Why aren't there more people like him.
Consider yourself internet-hugged.

Zukhramm

Jul 9, 2008
Deadagent said:
animehermit said:
RaikuFA said:
In fact, I'm still harrased over what Bioware said whenever I say I like JRPGs I get flak for it and the reason is "Bioware says that they're bad, so you have shitty taste in games."
Bioware never said JPRGs were bad AFAIK, it was the lead writer of SWTOR, who said something along the lines of "You can put a j in front of it all you want, but those games aren't RPGs."
To me this always came across as an argument from ignorance and arrogance, the full quote is:

"Well, before I address the main point I just want to take a slightly more controversial route: You can put a 'J' in front of it, but it's not an RPG. You don't make any choices, you don't create a character, you don't live your character... I don't know what those are - adventure games maybe? But they're not RPG's"

So by going with this definition RPG is a game where you make choices, create a character, and immerse yourself in the world. Now this is a good definition.....for tabletop and pen+paper games. However we are talking video games, and in the video game world that definition is rather cluncky. Basically this means if Heavy Rain had a character creator it would be an RPG. Now does that sound right to you? Well unless you've been gaming only for the past 2 years it shouldn't.

Also the fact that I hear this "WRPGs are real rpgs" crap to this day pisses me off and the fact that it's rooted in this statement makes me almost unable to play Mass Effect, since I keep thinking "Mmm yes, this is what these people call a real rpg, a cover based shooter with perks and dialogue options". And thats probably my opinion about Doung TenNapels games hasn't changed, the homophobia dosen't shine trough (on neverhood anyway) unlike the arrogance and downright pretensiousness on Biowares work.

In short I think Bioware has let the recent fame get into their heads and suddenly they have the right to say what is an RPG and whats isn't.
Well, Bioware has also said that the definition of RPG is "has a good story", so I don't they're very good at definitions at all.

LostintheWick

Sep 29, 2009
OldDirtyCrusty said:
... and what about Fez? Is this one of those crap japanese games? It sure looks that way. I hate this sucky wannabe oldschool art. It`s like they combined NES Mario with the oldest 3d effects. Who wants to look at this shit? This would maybe work on a 3DS...and only there.
Fez was created by one guy. He had one partner who quit and then he got a new guy to help out. And pixel art isn't solely a Japanese thing, although many people associate it with the early days and thus Japan.

Also, the art is awesome. Nothing about it is "wannabe".

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Im actually runung out of companies to buy games from due to the stuff they are doing with their costumers.

Also "maybe give them [money] to me" was just brilliant.

orangecharger

Nov 13, 2009
Love the timing of "one thing we do need to mindful of is that just because one guys on the team is an asspiece" with the clip from Gears of War. Ahhh Cliffy B and his abhorring your H8 out of 10.

Deadagent

Sep 14, 2011
Zukhramm said:
Well, Bioware has also said that the definition of RPG is "has a good story", so I don't they're very good at definitions at all.
Mind linking it? I gotta see that

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Zom-B said:
Therumancer said:
To be honest just about every creator of note has been the same way, it takes strong positions to create things of worth. With western society largely split 50-50 between the left and right wings, it's not surprising that your seeing a lot of creators coming from the right wing camp, even if the left wing generally dominates the media. To an extent what your seeing with Phil Fish is the pendelum starting to swing back the other way, with people who don't entirely follow the left wing ideas of political correctness increasingly speaking their minds despite this.

I'll also say that creators are almost always arseholes. You'll find that a lot of the great writers, painters, and creators throughout history are not only complete dillweeds by today's standards if you read about them, but were also on the fringes of society during their own time. If you judge people by having opinions, even in their work, that you don't agree with, chances are your likely to wind up appreciating very little. What we're seeing here is a matter of the current counter culture (yes, right wing is the new counter culture, due to the left wing having gained media prominance) increasingly speaking out, which is why awareness of this kind of thing and what creators think (which isn't always PC) is making the news.
I don't agree with you and a lot of what you're saying is the old idea of the "tortured genius" or the idea that you have to be crazy or an asshole to be creative.

First of all, for example, Orson Scott Card's Mormon faith and alleged homophobia (I've read about the whole thing and it's hard to say if he's truly homophobic or just unwilling to accept it. Regardless.) have nothing at all to do with Ender's Game, which is a really good book, that is really well written. Simply having strong position on something doesn't equate to creativity.

Second, just because we only hear about the crazies, the assholes, the bigots in creative fields doesn't mean that there aren't many genial, friendly and liberal people plying their craft without offending people or acting insane.

Perhaps you'll disagree, but I imagine that for every "dillweed" creative type you find, I can name one that isn't. All we may find out is that all sorts of people are creative in different ways and it doesn't take mental illness or xenophobic attitudes to be successful in an artistic or creative field.

As for your ida of the pendulum swinging, I agree, somewhat. It does swing, but each swing towards the right, towards bigotry and racism, towards radical conservatives to fundamental religion is lesser than the last one and of shorter duration. I've read some interesting theories that the current antics of the Republican Party in the USA are sort of a last gasp of crazy before their rhetoric is shouted down by a majority of accepting, liberal and reasoned people who are fed up with their ideas.
The point is more about people judging works by the creator and his sentiments, than being part of a counter-culture being a nessecity. We seem to more or less agree, going by your example with Orson Scott Card, his political sentiments, even that might come out in his work, in no way invalidate the work itself, no more than the utter insanity and political radicalism of many great artists did theirs.

As far as the right wing/left wing pendelum, your incorrect for a number of reasons, the most important of which is simply that there is no clear majority on either side. Right now the left wing has gained control of the media which presents that illusion, just as the right wing at one point had it and created the perception that it was totally inassailible.

Despite my generally right wing leanings, I tend to believe that things work best from a poisition of balance. In general society functions most efficiently when the right wing dominants most of mainstream society, and the left wing forms a substantial counter culture to stand it off to some extent. What we've seen recently with the situation being the opposite has been responsible for a lot of the problems we're seeing within society.

In general one of the big problems facing us right now is the classic choice between "what is right, and what is easy". For all the failings of the right wing(and there are many) one of the biggest failures of the left wing is for people to use it's positions of tolerance and interpetations of it's morality as an excuse to not have to do anything. Dealing with a big issue like say kicking illegal immigrants out of the country, forcibly if nessicary, or enforcing a "zero tolerance" policy on the black counter-culture and it's anti-societal position, all invariably lead to Joe Schmoe having to get off his tubby butt and do something, or to be put into a position where he might be affected by the crossfire of dealing with a big issue as the people being targeted object (in large numbers, for it to be a big issue). As a result the left wing position of "let it all go" and ignoring the big issues for them to hopefully sort themselves out is popular. This can also be said for issues of international relations where again, it involves direct action by the US and might lead to things like a draft (which people will always oppose).

Decades ago, the situation was differant with the left wing having to be a lot more active, and work to promote it's opinions and goals. It's sentiments work best in that format, as opposed to someone just being able to sit back and use "tolerance" as an excuse for doing nothing and maintaining a problem. Something that is easy to do when it doesn't directly effect them.

To put it into perspective, if we were to take actions against the black counter culture for reasons like those presented by Bill Cosby and others, and do things like selectively ban rap and hip hop music with anti education/society assimilation messages, force black kids into school, removing their right to drop out, and greatly upping anti-truancy laws and their penelties in various areaa (ie not only patrolling for youth in the inner cities, but also taking stronger actions against parents, including prison time, if their kids don't attend shcool) and similar things, the left wing would generally object, ultimatly because all of the song and dance aside, this involves too much in the way of action that could (and would) blow back in the short term regardless of the long term benefits.

Any big issues is debatable, and the specifics aren't the point, one of the reasons why the country remains so divided is that the left wing is not especially good at actually doing anything, and a lot of it's support today simply comes from people who want what is the path of least resistance. The reason why the country remains so divided with a 7% lead being "huge" and elections increasingly divided on a knifes edge, is because for all of the popularity the left wing has enjoyed, it's support has been eroding as problems remain unresolved. Things like the increasing "black conservative" prescence are based largely on points like the one above about addressing the black counter culture, which includes a lot of media that demonizes becoming educated and fitting in as a normal person, and glorifies either being at the very top or bottom of the societal pyramid exclusively. Hence why you have increasingly used identifiers pointing toward the "black counter culture" where it used to just be "black culture", you have a lot of blacks themselves increasingly want to see most rap and hip hop (or at least the common messages conveyed in that format) banned, at least for a while, to hopefully get the youth back on track since those very messages and people who believe them (in general, not in a literal "I must shoot everyone" sense) has probably been doing more to hold back the merger of Black America into society than all of the pressure by "whitey" that has ever existed.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
LostintheWick said:
OldDirtyCrusty said:
Fez was created by one guy. He had one partner who quit and then he got a new guy to help out. And pixel art isn't solely a Japanese thing, although many people associate it with the early days and thus Japan.

Also, the art is awesome. Nothing about it is "wannabe".
Uhmm, i tried to be funny. Forget about it.

I still don´t like the attitude of this one guy... being a dick doesn`t mean he creates bad games but i prefer a bit of a more proffesional way of handeling the press, customers etc.
It seems when it comes to artist, musicians or game designers acting like an asshole is ok.
I don`t like it at all but i`m a bit torn on this matter as long as the product is fun.
My only console is a ps3 right now so i can`t care less about this guy anyway.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
tautologico said:
"Virtually" indeed, almost none actually. Do you know how many slaves "work" for you? You can estimate this:
http://slaveryfootprint.org/
That was kind of the point. Cool link, though. I may have to pass it around.

lastjustice

Jun 29, 2004
So Fish called Japan on it's crap and he's now a super villain? please the creator of megaman Inafune said the same thing(he's been bashing his country's lack of success for a couple years now.) and he's from the country. He bailed on Capcom as his convictions ran that deep on it. It seems hardly while getting up in arms or not buying a game I'd enjoy if I had a 360 to play it.

I agree with Jim's one major point. There's always going be something you don't like attached to something you do if you look deep enough. Especially the bigger a company gets the more tangled web is going be weaved. Ultimately Im going support products I like and overlook whatever side bar BS that might take place elsewhere. I'm purchasing a product not the people who made it personal views. I'm not going stop living my life because jerks exist. It would take some seriously twisted business practices to give me pause. A few dollars going to someone I might not like as a person happens everyday as long as I continue to spend money.

AlisonPrime

Jun 20, 2008
I want to point out that Japansese companies have been dropping the ball lately on their relations with united states consumers and I can see the reason behind Fish's comment.

Capcom releases remake after remake after remake of the same games, and has buisness practices (my friend used to work for Capcom) that actively says you have to produce a certain number of sequels to a given title and new IPs struggle to get made by that publisher. Megaman Legends 3 was shot down not due to underwhelming fan demand, but the fact that the 3 previous titles didnt have enough sales, and they didnt want to sell a new sequel based on that. Megaman X9 was never created due to the poor sales of X8 which in my opinion was a FANTASTIC title, however the sales of the X collection was very high but they dont want to risk it. Ultimate MVC 3 was the huge blow to the crotch to most gamers but Resident Evil 5 Gold was my punch to the tits. I bought a Playstation Move and I owned Resident Evil 5 Collector's edition as well as all the DLC. I also enjoyed the control of RE 4 on the Wii and thus I was excited when I heard Move was compatible....however only with RE 5 gold. This meant I had to go out and buy another copy of the game to be able to use the controller preference I loved and when I put it in the PS3, i didnt need to install anything, I didnt need to upgrade anything, I didnt even need to convert my old saves...all the game had was a switch saying "Move is ok" which was a 30 dollar piece of shit decision.

Konami is the same. Silent Hill was their best franchise next to Metal Gear Solid and Castlevania and they treat it like crap now. Their PR is shit, hell look at Jim's episode about it. I played the HD collection for the PS3, and as soon as I got platinum trophies in both games...I took it and sold it to gamestop because I never wanted to be tempted to put it back in my PS3. The FPS, the Voices, the control and camera, the entire experience was horrible. Soon as I was done platinum trophy in each game, I popped in my copies on the PS2 in my PS2 and just enjoyed them. The Component cable made them as crisp as the HD collection and they LOOKED BETTER! I genuinely had a better experience on that console than my newer, more High definition one.

From those 2 compaines alone, let alone Nintendo and Sony saying they Support SOPA and PiPA, its no wonder why Fish said what he said. Their companies as well as most of their games, are saying fuck you to america, we dont NEED your buisness you dickholes.