Jimquisition: Gamer Guys

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Goliath100 said:
Oh Jim Sterling, fighting and kissing their butt, you do love your straw men. But really Jimmy, your filler is getting dumber and dumber.
How fucking DARE you talk about my filler? That's way too personal for a public forum.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Just clicking on the title, I knew "dis gon be gud."

Unfortunately, I think the people who most need to understand the content of this video won't understand it.

Also, I have no idea what "fusions" are in this context. I feel so ashamed.

TreuloseTomate

Oct 25, 2012
I'm a bit lost here. Are "gamer girls" really such an issue? I've actually never met any of these caricature gamer girlz that some people seem to be complaining about. What year is this?

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
I reckon this is jims wonderful way of responding to some of the comments from the zelda maybe getting her own game finally article on dtoid. Cause according to some sexist idiots apparently if that happens the universe will invert and all that is good in it will cease to be. -__-

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
spplmj said:
Aww man... from the title I thought he was going to talk about the Dudebro gamers that the majority of publishers seem to cater to now.
So did I.

Kind of boring video to be honest, because it is the equivalent of mocking people who comment on youtube videos, 95% of us don't take them seriously in the first place. Plus the whole gender thing was finally starting to die down on here, but then again so have the forums in general, so perhaps a controversial topic was needed to boost it a bit.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Legion said:
spplmj said:
Aww man... from the title I thought he was going to talk about the Dudebro gamers that the majority of publishers seem to cater to now.
So did I.

Kind of boring video to be honest, because it is the equivalent of mocking people who comment on youtube videos, 95% of us don't take them seriously in the first place. Plus the whole gender thing was finally starting to die down on here, but then again so have the forums in general, so perhaps a controversial topic was needed to boost it a bit.
Yeah, well ... your avatar is cool.

Bretrayer

Jul 3, 2008
Dat subtle exposition of about smooth bodies and nipples over Johnathan Holmes playing games ;).

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
I think Jim is just trying to pre-empt anything that might emerge from this years Con season, which isn't really in full swing until SDCC or so I'm told.

This is fairly relevant, if only as reference material.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
TreuloseTomate said:
I'm a bit lost here. Are "gamer girls" really such an issue? I've actually never met any of these caricature gamer girlz that some people seem to be complaining about. What year is this?
Pssst. It's cause they're not real.

OT: Loved it. I've always been confused by the vanity of some people. As if I would have spent all this time and money just to impress someone else.
The thing is, I'd love to have more nerdy friends IRL but I don't ever bring up that I like games because of the freaking nerd-police. In fact I'd love more people to play online with but I don't ever really use my voice or get to know people for the same reason.

EDIT: Seriously this video was too subtle for some people????

Jannes Ehmke

Jun 24, 2012
I agree here, a phrase I hear way too often for saying 'out of all the call of duty games I prefer the first one, the more recent ones seem to have lost the plot of what the game was about' that "Oh you're one of those guys..."

On the other hand I never finished Zelda or Mario, mostly because when I was young we never had a console, I got to play games on my father's work computer after hours, meaning that what most memorably what I got to play was along the lines of Doom and Quake, and later Age of Empires.

So then you get scoffed for being an old gamer who dislikes the way the industry is going, but then get scoffed for not playing the same titles the others did. A few friends are in the same situation, we get flak from all directions and ended up withdrawing from the community as a whole, playing by ourselves or amongst ourselves.

That being said, what is a true gamer, does our dedication to making the best of a situation, finding a way to play games even when we had such restricted access not count. That by the time we could have our own PCs, we spent the majority of our free time in a garage to LAN, sometimes for weeks on end. Does that not warrant the term gamer?

My point here being that if I was to be given Jim's test I'd likely fail, but then it doesn't change the fact that I've been gaming since I could create cognitive thought and have dedicated my life to it.

I realise that it's satire to a degree and that it's disproportional but at the end of the day true feeling lays behind it and in effect is an attitude no different to those you describe so flatteringly.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
If people, corporations, like MSi would stop creating "fake PC techie gamer girl" then maybe the problem would vanish. If you're going to have a guide on how to build a gaming PC done be a Girl in a brae and panties don't have her touch the gold plating on the ram, or touch the leads on the CPU. And for heavens sake you need to be grounded before you take them out of the static bag, and stay grounded while you work. Other than the event with MSi I don't really see fake gamer girls anywhere as a problem or issue.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Jimothy Sterling said:
Legion said:
spplmj said:
So did I.

Yeah, well ... your avatar is cool.
Okay, now you just made me feel bad, and thank you, I like my avatar very much.

I think my problem with the gender debates isn't so much that the points are invalid, it's that it's like dripping blood into the ocean. It just causes a frenzy and makes me want to get the hell out of the water. (I like metaphors)

So please do not take it personally that I didn't like the video, it's just that for me the topic has been discussed so much and so aggressively that it's almost off-putting.

That said, apparently this was in response to something on Destructoid as opposed to a general rant, so perhaps I ought to see the context that caused it.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Dayyyymn... it's all sorts of seven ways of gay up in here at the moment.

Is it a VIP thing? Do I need a ticket?

How much to cuddle with the big man with a red tie?