Jimquisition: How Sony Can Make it Up To You

Whoatemysupper

Aug 20, 2010
I really hate the egotism oozing from the video. Could you stop pretending you're the awesomest thing in the world.

OaKleIgHy

Nov 10, 2009
yep , definitely better this time than the 2nd and waaaaay better than the third..might watch the fourth

Tomba and Tomba 2 were awsome

NKnight

Jul 31, 2010
I think this time he pleases people with the subject (he choose to talk about something that everyone agrees with, for once - Yatzees is the only one who can ignore this) and appealing for the classics (like moviebob does). Also he gets down from his throne and lowered his voice tone and rants. But the actual contend is still laking.

Learn from Yatzee - ok
Learn from MovieBob - ok
Learn from ExtraCreditz - IN PROCESS

Firehound

is a trap!
Nov 22, 2010
I think He pulled out of the doomed tailspin of internet ranting. He's still losing altitude. Give him some factual arguments and have him jettison his pompousness. That should stabilize him into being worth watching.

Seriously, better this time.

However, I doubt making new games is going to get people to forget that Sony has effectively put many people in danger of identity theft. THe only real suggestion I saw was 'stop god damn updating everything every five minutes.' I have my doubts on the effectiveness of that strategy as well.

Wargamer

Apr 2, 2008
I've been operating on a three strike policy here, and the third video has managed to swing and miss.

Yes, it is an improvement, but the only an improvement because he isn't acting like a sexist bigot. That still does not change the fact he is a sexist bigot, and one who dresses like a nazi to boot. Hell, he even goes out of his way to insult the Escapist again during his opening sentance.

Why the hell are they promoting this fuckwit? Anyone with a webcam could do what he's doing, and do it better!

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
I also would like to see Tomba! games back. They were fun, and probably would appeal to
both kids and us adults who miss it. Also, I don't know every detail about the technical stuff ( made apparent by the use of the words "technical stuff" ) but if the
updates really did not help protect us but even may have caused this issue, then I can't see why
Sony would keep at it. It just seems like trying to swim up a waterfall.

GGZeta

Mar 11, 2011
Jurnalizm is a good way to describe what Jim does. But, this newest video proves that it is going somewhere. If it comes back for a fourth episode than the Escapist will probably keep it for the long haul so here are my thoughts.

The red background with white chalk font looks good and game clips are a welcome change from the horrible mspaint stuff. Do more of that please, and drop the mspaint garbage altogether.

What I would like to see Jim do is completely capitalize on the image he is desperately trying to portray. That being, that he is some kind of internet celebrity game journalism maverick that talks about the "hard issues" to us in the form of sweary soap box pontificating. But he needs to SELL that image and a pair of sunglasses just doesn't do that.

Class, be classy and make your video crisp and tight. Drop the mspaint, use the videoclips and text cards and tighten up your screenshot edits. By just reading the comments it is obvious that by upping the professionalism on the videos Jim is winning people over. Even if the material is not entirely funny it is now no longer as offensive. (Offensive in an artistic sense not a moral one) This doesn't mean stop swearing as swearing is clearly not something gamers really mind.

"... That bites the shit out of pigs" That's a good line. I'll compare him to what he seems to be trying to be and how it can improve: What makes movie bob lovable is the way he delivers his show, with an unusually honest and sincere way of speaking coupled with an extreme amount of real knowledge regarding the subjects he talks about. His work is interesting, informative and entertaining. And what makes us tolerate Yahtzee is the fact that he is genuinely funny and very talented with his delivery of material and the pacing of his show.

The only reason Jim seems to be succeeding with this new video is because he mentioned some games we liked which helps us relate to him on a more personal level. That's good for shallow praise but he's going to need real substance soon or this going to completely fall flat.

Sentox6

Jun 30, 2008
What I don't get are the "I don't like this series, it needs to be dropped" people. I think Loading Ready Run is about as funny as watching paint dry, and Unskippable might as well be written by Caitlin Upton, but you don't see me calling for them to be axed.

Fragmented_Faith said:
First impressions, gotta love em. I haven't watched the latest one and don't intend to as his first two where sheer bad. Now judging from the first page comments this guy is improving but it'll take several more weeks of constant improvement before I'll consider giving him another chance.
Well thanks for your amazing post, great contribution. You really provided some useful input to the thread. Keep up the good work.

Wargamer

Apr 2, 2008
Sentox6 said:
What I don't get are the "I don't like this series, it needs to be dropped" people. I think Loading Ready Run is about as funny as watching paint dry, and Unskippable might as well be written by Caitlin Upton, but you don't see me calling for them to be axed.
I'll field this point.

The reason for this is quite simple;

1) Loading Ready Run / Unskippable do not behave in a manner that is overtly sexist and derogatory toward women ("solving" the sexism problem). Alternatively, consult his Fat Princess 'review' found elsewhere.
2) Loading Ready Run / Unskippable don't call us elitist cunts behind our backs if we don't like their show.
3) Loading Ready Run / Unskippable have decent production standards.

WarCorrespondent

Sep 27, 2010
Last week I said I wouldn't watch this show because it wasn't tickling my fancy.

But I read the comments for this week's show and heard it was better. So I watched and this week and it was better.

Mainly because now you're moving into new territory. And that's what we want, new stuff. Before it was rants about stuff we've already heard. Now we've got old game nostalgia. I liked the comments on the firmware, but that was probably because I don't have a PS3 and it was news to me. But the nostalgia stuff is something we can all enjoy!

So yeah, keep doing stuff that the other video shows on this site haven't done!

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
I like this guy.

He does a good job of making me want to listen and agree with him.

Joe McGahan

May 9, 2011
2 things

1) I absolutely despise these rants.
2) I have now watched 3 in a row and I'm going to watch more.

Which is the point. As long as people are watching, love it or hate it, he's got a winning formula.

Also this episode was a step up and beyond the first two, if this trend continues... I might start enjoying it.

More self centeredness, more making himself out to be the villain. Brilliant.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
The Rockerfly said:
Azaraxzealot said:
i love how all someone needs to do is name-drop an undersuccessful cult-favorite on this site to become instantly beloved and get away with saying ANYTHING.

watch this:
"GEE WILLIKERS! I sure do love me some of that Psychonauts! It sure was a GREAT game that no one played! Gee wiz that game deserved better!"

(i really do think it was good, but i think it may be just some sort of thing where people only love it because the average Cash-In of Duty nut hasn't heard of it)
Eh it was a good episode anyway and I have never heard another video producer on the escapist mention it. PS1 classics seem to go a miss with a lot of people and to finally have one who even acknowledges the ps1 is a plus for me

Anyway Psychonauts is not that small a game if everyone and their dog says to play it, maybe because it wasn't a financial success. However everyone recommends Psychonauts and I think people over look the ps1 era of games
yes, but i really thought it was a good show beforehand. because someone was just being blunt. and i like it when people are blunt. plus, he's from destructoid, and i love destructoid for their brutally honest reviews.

Corrodian

Feb 22, 2010
This ain't so bad. It is far from the pure brilliance of Extra Credits, Unskippable or Bob's stuff, but enjoyable enough. The attitude is amusing but you are very close to overdoing it.

EchetusXe

Jun 19, 2008
I like the way Jim says 'skelington'.

Anyway, solution 4: cross game fucking chat.

Great videos.

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
chif-ii said:
mikev7.0 said:
chif-ii said:
Epiphany, guys.

Jim is kinda like Steven Colbert. If you don't understand that his douchebag, self-centered behavior is just an act, in the same way that Colbert's all-knowing yet idiotic comedy is just an act, than you're going to get all tight in the underpants about it. If, however, you recognize the act for what it is, than it becomes more enjoyable.

Still, his sense of humor is still a little too...rough for my tastes.
Okay wow. Um, I can't believe you drew that comparision for like a zillion reasons but I'll keep it to one and make it simple okay? Stephen Colbert is not just funny but even in his most aggregious rants he still seems almost annoyingly likeable. I can not believe you compared those two.....seriously.
Oh come on, what's the big difference? It's the same principle - take a character type people can't understand, then exacerbate it and blur the line between the character and the actor, then put him in a situation where the spotlight shines brightest on his faults. Jim's character's main flaws are his pride and his penchant for swearing (thus he has a web show superficially about how he can fix the problems of the gaming world), whilst Colbert is merely ignorant (a quality that his job as a news reporter shows us).

Understand, though, I still don't like the character. I understand how he's setting up his humor, and that knowledge is keeping me from driving to his house and punching him in the face, that's all.
Okay that's a good analogy, but I think the difference is that the audience can not only understand Colbert's character but we see "him" all over the place. He is a send up of all the folks that believe whatever they want to in spite of any facts to the contrary. Maybe Jim just acts so seriously like a jerk that I don't get the joke, either way it's irrelevant, I'm done watching, hopefully the Escapist will start being a little more discriminatory when picking their next show. Could we stop with the whole "accent + expletives + garbage animation = hit" formula though? Please?

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
GGZeta said:
Jurnalizm is a good way to describe what Jim does. But, this newest video proves that it is going somewhere. If it comes back for a fourth episode than the Escapist will probably keep it for the long haul so here are my thoughts.

The red background with white chalk font looks good and game clips are a welcome change from the horrible mspaint stuff. Do more of that please, and drop the mspaint garbage altogether.

What I would like to see Jim do is completely capitalize on the image he is desperately trying to portray. That being, that he is some kind of internet celebrity game journalism maverick that talks about the "hard issues" to us in the form of sweary soap box pontificating. But he needs to SELL that image and a pair of sunglasses just doesn't do that.

Class, be classy and make your video crisp and tight. Drop the mspaint, use the videoclips and text cards and tighten up your screenshot edits. By just reading the comments it is obvious that by upping the professionalism on the videos Jim is winning people over. Even if the material is not entirely funny it is now no longer as offensive. (Offensive in an artistic sense not a moral one) This doesn't mean stop swearing as swearing is clearly not something gamers really mind.

"... That bites the shit out of pigs" That's a good line. I'll compare him to what he seems to be trying to be and how it can improve: What makes movie bob lovable is the way he delivers his show, with an unusually honest and sincere way of speaking coupled with an extreme amount of real knowledge regarding the subjects he talks about. His work is interesting, informative and entertaining. And what makes us tolerate Yahtzee is the fact that he is genuinely funny and very talented with his delivery of material and the pacing of his show.

The only reason Jim seems to be succeeding with this new video is because he mentioned some games we liked which helps us relate to him on a more personal level. That's good for shallow praise but he's going to need real substance soon or this going to completely fall flat.
One of the tenets of journalism is that it is supposed to be unbiased and fact based rather than opinion based. I guess it's true that if you don't know how to spell a word then you probably don't know what it means either....

Calling this journalism is like calling C-SPAN biased.

AyreonMaiden

Sep 24, 2010
Hive Mind said:
You people are giving the sexist sod ANOTHER chance? *sigh*
I couldn't care less about his personal beliefs, just like I couldn't care less about Tiger Woods' adultery or Obama's birth credentials. As far as I know, none of those pointless things ever changed a thing about them.

I am not even close to misogynistic/racist/homophobic or whatever, but he can curb-stomp dogs, be a Grand Dragon of the KKK, and he can beat hookers like it's GTA for all I care. I hate this stupid idea that everyone needs to be a role model for someone. He's not my goddamn wife or someone I even know on any sort of personal level. He's allowed whatever beliefs he wants as long as they don't bleed into his video-game work to the point where it becomes a vehicle for his other non-videogame-related agendas. I don't condone his misogyny (if indeed he truly has it, yes I've read that blogpost about it) but I'll be damned if I'm gonna pretend like I care THAT much about it. I'll stop watching the Jimquisition once it stops being funny to me, and not for any other reason.