Jimquisition: In the Hall of the Mountain Dew

Blade_125

Sep 1, 2011
It's rather amusing that I opened a bottle of Mountain Dew before I started watching this.

Mmmm, you can really taste the hedgehog piss.

This type of bull shit is why I avoid a lot of developers now. I won't buy anything by UBI soft, and I am not sure if I will ever buy from EA again. Of course as more and more companies keep this up, it limits where I can go. Guess I'll have to be more adventurous with the indie games.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
I'm eagerly looking forward to the inevitable industry wide crash that happens next gen when budgets are so bloated, development so insanely time consuming and costly and the relentless greed so all encompassing the entire medium collapses on itself. Too many companies and the people running them have grown too arrogant, too money obsessed and they all need a giant reality wakeup boot to the face.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Entitled said:
Snip, although it's a good post.
I actually do play indie titles, and considering what I'm working on as a student, I'm definitely not sticking to the Twilight/Fifty Shades modern standards. I'm quite fond of Uplink, I used to play Minecraft with a few friends in a somewhat regular fashion, and I especially like it when small teams release things that break the mould. You've read my post while assuming I had my blinders on and couldn't see past Triple-A development, but that's not the case.

I'm just disappointed that it's come to this, if I have to try and be clearer. We've reached a point where apart for the rare chart-topping indie title, what you're likely to see on top shelves is the same recycled Triple-A material, year after year after year. I'm disappointed that bravery in designing games or interactive experiences hasn't been embraced in better a fashion than it has. I'm missing the SPIRIT of garage developers, and I'd really like to see someone with a Triple-A's budget manage to produce something that won't feel like it's being castrated by an oblivious focus group or marketing execs desperately trying to keep their company aground by producing me-too material.

I'm well aware that innovation isn't unilaterally dead and gone, I know I can reach out to what's done in small and self-published studios or even in places like Newgrounds and Armor Games. I know I still have those options.

What I've been trying to say is that I'd like the Triple-A devs to actually pay attention to what the indies are pulling off. Look at Portal 2 or Team Fortress 2. What's made them succeed isn't their marketing campaign or the fact that one of them switched to Free-to-Play. Valve titles in general tend to prove that there *is* a place for innovation and smart writing and dialogue in Triple-A development. Not every single product needs to cater to the Would-Be Thug or Dude-Bro crowd, or to sports fans who don't mind getting a slightly shinier roster update every year for a full sixty bucks.

The day the big fish do start to understand that, we won't need tie-in marketing campaigns like these. We won't need egregious sequels designed to keep the money flowing. We won't need things like Mass Effect 4 or Halo 4 or even the shift in focus Dragon Age 2 represented.

But, of course, they won't understand. Hollywood appeals to our base emotions and only considers our brains once the Oscar season rolls in. Then, its best pseudo-intellectual efforts tend to revolve around the same tired old themes and tired old tropes disguised as narrative depth, when it's really just another pandering display of profundity. The mainstream industry follows that exact pattern.

It's that divide that's frustrating me. I'd like a gaming culture when I can enjoy something that has the structural means of a summertime explosion-fest and the narrative and scenario-related capabilities of things like Journey or Passage.

LazyAza said:
I'm eagerly looking forward to the inevitable industry wide crash that happens next gen when budgets are so bloated, development so insanely time consuming and costly and the relentless greed so all encompassing the entire medium collapses on itself. Too many companies and the people running them have grown too arrogant, too money obsessed and they all need a giant reality wakeup boot to the face.
Then, of course, the cycle begins anew. The surviving companies in the midst of the Great 2020 Mass Game Extinction Event climb on top of their predecessors' corpses and establish themselves as the leading force. New consoles are spawned, new games are made, some become successful, money is made...

Fast-forward to 2055 or thereabouts, and we have ourselves a third video game crash. Ad infinitum.

Jobbie

Aug 14, 2010
I say vote with your dollar and support steam. Pick up your favorite titles on PC while paying less and significantly extend the length of your game by user created mods. I picked up 6 games the other day on steam for 15 bucks. You can't beat that.

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
Snack food makes it "hard find Halo credible as a creative endeavor". This made me laugh.

Jobbie said:
I say vote with your dollar and support steam. Pick up your favorite titles on PC while paying less and significantly extend the length of your game by user created mods. I picked up 6 games the other day on steam for 15 bucks. You can't beat that.
Sure you can, just not on consoles.

userwhoquitthesite

Jul 23, 2009
This episode made me happy. It's refreshing to hear someone say something OTHER than bullshit

as for the point about soda

When the lids get low and the yawns do go and signal time to sleep
Just give me a tank of the fine old drink that comes from Tennesee
Bottles big and small, flavors for all, be sure to grab a few
Ain't nothin' sweeter than your own 2 liter of the stuff called mountain dew

Skid-ree Idle-diddle dum skid-ree Idle-diddle dum
Skid-ree Idle-dum diddle dum day

There's a store down the way open all day, twenty-four hours and
for a decent rate, you can buy a crate of the soda in bottles or cans
Now those caffeine pills just give me chills, and that's why I tell you
To stay awake, my thirst i slake with the classic mountain dew

Now gaming men and stoner friends, have given their praises high
That lovely sheen of distinctive green, that's made with Yellow 5
It may rot our teeth to the gums beneath, but between both me and you
it's worth the risk for that sweet and brisk refreshing taste of mountain dew

When the lids get low and the yawns do go and signal time to sleep
Just give me a tank of the fine old drink that comes from Tennesee
Bottles big and small, flavors for all, be sure to grab a few
Ain't nothin' sweeter than your own 2 liter of the stuff called mountain dew

any fans of the dubliners in the thread?

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Quite a few people seemed to miss the point, he wasn't raging at the fact that games use product placement to generate extra cash, I would have to rewatch the video to confirm this but I think he says he is happy with them to do that. What he was raging at was the general idea that a game by itself, with none of the attached nonsense will not make enough money on it's own to justify it's production and maintenance cost. That the attached bullshit we the consumer have to put up with in the form of day one DLC, Online Passes, god awful DRM and wanky product placement is being justified by the developers as a way to generate the cash they require to make the game profitable.

What he was saying is that a triple AAA title by itself sold at whatever price it is sold at should and for the most part probably is more than enough to make enough cash to turn a profit and that all the crap we have to put up with is not to give the developer his much needed daily bread but just to make them a huge Scrooge McDuck style money bin that they can then swim in.

I also agree with his opinion that if the companies came forward and simply said they do this stuff not to make a break even game but because they are out and out greedy bastards, instead of force feeding us all the bullshit excuses to try and justify the DLC, DRM and other nonsense, then I would have a hell of a lot more respect for them.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Maybe if Deadspace 3 is sponsored by Pepsi and Stihl tools they'll only need 3 million sales instead of 5 million to keep the franchise going.

"Quick, pick up that durable Stihl power saw and make short work of the necromorph's forearm!"

stringtheory

Dec 18, 2011
babinro said:
Maybe if Deadspace 3 is sponsored by Pepsi and Stihl tools they'll only need 3 million sales instead of 5 million to keep the franchise going.

"Quick, pick up that durable Stihl power saw and make short work of the necromorph's forearm!"
that's a sponsorship that actually makes sense, what do mountain dew, doritos, and seven eleven have to do with Halo 4 anyway?

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Testify! Oh oh oh testify!

Hell yea, I'm glad someone is making a more visible slam about their greed; complainging that used games hurt them, that online hurts them, that a full priced game without day-one DLC hurts them. Fuck them.

This is why I stopped paying for the original xbox live the moment they started charging for DLC... yea, imagine that, all those xbox games had optional content that was free because you already sunk so much money into the system, game, and service. All without ads as well.

And I've talked to people on these forums who were DEFENDING them, actually saying that used games are bad for publishers. It's crazy how the younger gamers are unknowingly being turned into compliant little corporate drones who happily keep shell out money (or their parents' money) for everything.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
lord.jeff said:
I agree with this episode and love it even though you seem to repeat the same points several times.
It just goes to show that this shit in the industry isn't getting fixed.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Benchmark game of the year? Greg Tito said the same thing about DA2 XD

Also for some reason, I have a sudden urge to go buy Doritos and Mountain Dew.

IIIIVE GONE BLIIIIND!

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Zachary Amaranth said:
Is it wrong that I want to hug Jim after that?

Nobody should have to suffer through Mountain Dew alone!

Their monetary concerns are kinda...Well, crap.
Aw come on! Mountain Dew isn't that bad.

Though, if Jim hates it that much I can't imagine him ever surviving an entire D&D session.

GTwander

Mar 26, 2008
Great fucking episode.
It's like he read my mind, spat out my anger at me, and then convinced me that it was his idea... and I'm all for it. He needs to doppleganger his way into Riccitello's or Kotick's skin and turn those companies into a respectable business. Or perhaps make them cannibalize themselves.

~Also, Mountain Dew is gross, but I will stab the first guy to clown on my Doritos.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Those who have will always want more. A sad truth but there is little we can do unless there is a unprecedented backlash against this kind of thing.

Also I've never had Mountain Dew, I don't even think they sell it in this country. But if it is awful as it looked then the US can keep it