Jimquisition: In the Hall of the Mountain Dew

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
How pissed would you have been if that Uncharted Subway commercial hadn't been a commercial at all but integrated into the actual game?

Oct 27, 2010
I noticed something was up when I ordered pizza last weekend.... The Mountain Dew Bottle had the Halo4 logo up at the top part of the label. I wouldn't even had noticed it if it weren't for my bf pointing it out. GET OUT OF MY HEAD.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I think while Steam does similar things, it by no means actively screws you over when you pay them, besides the connectivity setup which so far does not feel like torture or costs me extra money to use, or puts ads for things other than the games they are already selling.

I'm not spending extra, and they always have sales, which is great and optional and I am not charged anything for looking or having an account.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
The Crotch said:
Oh I won't deny that it's certainly a double edged sword. While the process gave us MGS, Killer 7 & No More Heroes, Fable (that's...probably in the middle of this discussion), Resident Evil, Zone of the Enders...you get my drift. But the FPS-that-must-not-be-named you mentioned above is enough to counteract all that : )

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
notfarg said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
Good chance that'll get you fired. This isn't about them being unaware. It's about them not caring.
I'm cool with that. Wouldn't want to continue to work at a place that doesn't let it's employees speak towards it's business practices anyway. And it'd be worth it to spread even the tiniest bit of dissent amongst the masses.
Then you'd better just start up your own video game development company, because with that attitude you'll never find a job in the video game industry anywhere, ever. Don't get me wrong, it's a good attitude to have, just not one that any big worthwhile company in the VG industry will put up with.

OT: Some of these ridiculous, greedy, moneygrubbing practices exist in other industries, but only in the video game industry are they so blatant about it. The other industries are usually smart enough not to piss of their customers by flanting the fact that they're screwing them over, but the VG industry practically walks around wearing a giant "F#@K OUR CUSTOMERS" sign all the time.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Somebody needed to say that.

Don't people ever get tired of being tools?

No, I guess not.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
yeah, they always try to find new ways to make money. they know younger players will fall for it and beg their parents to waste their money.
and its pretty obvious why other brands will never support smaller companies. because they dont make that much money as a AAA of course.
"money". thats all they think about. they dont care about the rest.

luckycharms8282

Mar 28, 2009
I completely agree, Jim. I feel like Ive been saying it for years. They are always trying to find more ways to increase that profit margin.

godofslack

May 8, 2011
I for one know that it's sometimes difficult to buy that third golden yacht if you don't include online passes.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
I'm surprised no one's mentioned some of the steps Mountain Dew and Dorritos have taken in their deal with Halo 4. Both companies have reworked their formulas so that when eaten together you lose 4 years (as per Halo 4) off your life expectancy.
This however does not come without its compaints from snack fans. Many are upset that Mountain Dew would abandon its original formula so freely. Its original formula, of course, when consumed not only shorten life expectancy but also added the phone number of the nearest meth dealer to your phone's contact list.

PunkRex said:
I wanna know what game devs are ACTUALLY doing with all this money, anyone know of a show/site that lists expenses, etc? Im generally curious.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
Microsoft is starting to piss me off with their online service! I actually like Xbox Live, but telling me it's a PRIVILEGE to hand my money over to them to play online, rubs me the wrong way!

algalon

Dec 6, 2010
Videogames are like any other business - if the current iteration doesn't make more money than the previous, it's considered a net loss even though profit is still being made. It's a disgusting practice that's killing economies around the world simply due to greed. Gotta do better than last year or the C.E.O. will get angry and start laying people off. So when a game isn't expected to do as well as a previous version, perhaps due to a new development team, external revenue streams are implemented and you get dew in your shooter. At least MS is up front about their bullshit so everyone can get a good whiff, unlike other companies and most politicians.

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
Was a good episode until he brought piracy into it.

Please don't try to rationalize "eh they make enough money" as a justification for wanting something for nothing. As an arguement, it's just as paper thin and shitty as used toilet paper.

Basic economics principles. Something pirates like to pretend don't exist and will forevermore try to explain/rationalize away. If you're going to ask AAA developers to admit they're greedy, you should ask no less of pirates.