Jimquisition: In the Hall of the Mountain Dew

Aaron Sylvester

Jul 1, 2012
It seems the more money you make the greater your lust for even more increases and you seem to want to hang onto every dollar ever more, regardless of how many heads you need to cut off in the process and regardless of how much you have to whine about things being 'bad'. Sigh.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Well, at least this was one rant that didn't imply that wanting to make more money was somehow bad.

Eventually people might start to understand that they don't have to buy all the things to enjoy something.

Sergey Sund

May 20, 2012
Been drinking energy drinks of the Monster-brand (Europe, Germany, dunno if you know it).
It has reached comedicaly hilarious marketing scemes, wanting desperately to hog their guarana-infused taurin-coffein-mix especially to gamers.
Beside the normal "Classic", there are "Khaos", "Ripper", and "Assault".
"Assault", for fuck's sake!
THIS ENERGY DRINK: SO HARDCORE - IT WILL ASSAULT YOUR ORGANS!
And when you have enough of those, and you wake up after a binge-gaming night with a massive headache and you have to go to work, you can buy their tea-infused version called
"Rehab".
If you're wondering: Guarana is, aparently, some form of liana out of the South American jungle. Like - what the fuck???
I guess that sums it up pretty good: WTF?
Mountain Dew, Red Bull, Monster - these are energy drinks containing the same taurin/coffein mix as every other energy drink on the market.
There is a new one in my store called "Relentless". Looking forward to their brand diversification :/
It's funny that for one 0,5 litre can of any of the above I get one 1,5 litre bottle of off-brand, cheap "Booster".

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
Scrumpmonkey said:
Really? Really? Three pages in and no one comments on the "In the hall of the Mountain King" reference?

You know that song is public domain right? Jim you could have used it in an epic "Gaming bullshit" montage.
Actually, I was thinking of this one.

I love your titles Jim.

Spearmaster

Mar 10, 2010
Why not just put NASCAR type stickers all over master chief's armor? If your gonna do a shameless cash crab go all the way Microsoft.

Thank you Jim for giving this behavior the maximum shit it deserves. I don't mind them charging for DLC if they created content or even the little extras like avatar gear because I don't have to buy it. Selling out your game launch to corporate sponsors because your AAA franchise cant make money...its insulting. Good thing I had no plans of buying Halo 4

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
With every new bullshit I hear I think more and more that returning to piracy may be a good thing
Few companies to to pirate- Activision, EA and Ubisoft
You know, just to make point that their DRM is useless
Not that I'm interested in their games, God no
(recently I'm stuck with Bethesda, Square Enix and Valve- and I gladly pay for their games)
Last game I was interested in from EA was MassEffect3, from Activision was Battlezone2 and from Ubisoft was Prince of Persia
And I think I will start to ignore these companies from now on

r_phix

Mar 12, 2012
And now I want to try Montain Dew...
I resisted for a long time since I am in New Zealand, but watching your video makes me want to try !!!
You are working for them !!!

Well done Montain Dew marketing team !

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
Gods aloft, man! Just stop buying it. Move on to games that don't pull the BS maneuvers, either that or get out of gaming and find something else to do that is less likely to give you high blood-pressure and hypertension. It's just not worth it.

I, myself, gave up on Triple-A gaming some time ago. Just too much bullshit mixed in with it to be palatable. In fact, I'm finding myself spending ever increasing time board-gaming, pen-and-paper RPGing (in person with real friends), listening to music, watching movies, and reading some new manga and sci-fi/fantasy books. As time progresses, I want to try to get back into drawing and reading back through my old physics books and doing some of the exercises for fun. Yes, video-gaming has become so loaded with bullshit and worthless garbage that it's pushing me back to having a life rather than spend my money and time on video-games. They're just becoming less worth it, and videos like this simply confirm the path going forward; video-games, for me, are simply no longer fun for the cost and level of effort required.

EDIT: added the "for me" in the last statement to emphasize that this is only my opinion and does not reflect the perspective or feelings of others.

maximara

Jul 13, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
If only they advertised Thousand Island, then we could call it crossdressing
And Jim how do you know what hedgehog piss tastes like? -_^
And I thought my joke in World of Warcraft about having a class perfectly suited to dealing with the Sha (the Sha-man class) was bad.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Jim has systematically undone any brand positivity that the Halo 4 Mountain Dew promotions had intended for their drinks. I approve!

I'm not even sure if we have MD in the UK (I've certainly never seen it) so this entire promotional tie has passed completely over my head. Thankfully.

Wesley Brannock

Sep 7, 2010

It's about time someone said this. I like the Halo series but could we please stop acting like it's the best game ever as well as this stupid advertising crap.

ProGrasTiNation

Jul 5, 2009
Aeonknight said:
Was a good episode until he brought piracy into it.

Please don't try to rationalize "eh they make enough money" as a justification for wanting something for nothing. As an arguement, it's just as paper thin and shitty as used toilet paper.

Basic economics principles. Something pirates like to pretend don't exist and will forevermore try to explain/rationalize away. If you're going to ask AAA developers to admit they're greedy, you should ask no less of pirates.
You might hate pirates but the sensible ones like me use it as a means to weed out trash games & give money were its due.
Piracy is a good thing,america wouldn't exist today in its current state without piracy.If the US didn't copy the germans research they wouldn't have had a space program,if they didn't copy...mmm..the list is huge & growing every day.
Piracy only hurts the greedy corporations & governments that think were all on this planet to make them rich while wasting our very short lives buying every piece of crap they can think of to sell to us.
The game industry should be run by gamers for gamers(indie games rock)not money hungry ass clowns that are basicly the same people who have ruined the music & movie industry to the point that they're actually attacking the internet,were the mpaa think they can bring anyone in the world to their court for fines that no person ever could pay.
& i suppose to come back on point for this fine video by jim is to stop listening to these billion dollar companies when they cry losses & open your eyes to the daylight robbery that they indulge in every day!
Your's sincerely A proud pirate/human

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
ProGrasTiNation said:
Aeonknight said:
Was a good episode until he brought piracy into it.

Please don't try to rationalize "eh they make enough money" as a justification for wanting something for nothing. As an arguement, it's just as paper thin and shitty as used toilet paper.

Basic economics principles. Something pirates like to pretend don't exist and will forevermore try to explain/rationalize away. If you're going to ask AAA developers to admit they're greedy, you should ask no less of pirates.
You might hate pirates but the sensible ones like me use it as a means to weed out trash games & give money were its due.
Piracy is a good thing,america wouldn't exist today in its current state without piracy.If the US didn't copy the germans research they wouldn't have had a space program,if they didn't copy...mmm..the list is huge & growing every day.
Piracy only hurts the greedy corporations & governments that think were all on this planet to make them rich while wasting our very short lives buying every piece of crap they can think of to sell to us.
The game industry should be run by gamers for gamers(indie games rock)not money hungry ass clowns that are basicly the same people who have ruined the music & movie industry to the point that they're actually attacking the internet,were the mpaa think they can bring anyone in the world to their court for fines that no person ever could pay.
& i suppose to come back on point for this fine video by jim is to stop listening to these billion dollar companies when they cry losses & open your eyes to the daylight robbery that they indulge in every day!
Your's sincerely A proud pirate/human
A few problems with your arguements.

Stating that the US wouldn't be where it is without copying technological achievements is nowhere near the same thing as an individual obtaining a product that costs money, for free. Not even in the same ball park, I could go on to further say "2 wrongs don't make a right" and all but the point is already made and refuted. Next!

You can hate on them greedy ass clowns all you want. No one said you had to love em. But it's not about like/dislike. It's about putting in what's due, what YOU owe them for enjoying the fruits of their labor. It's a pretty basic concept: they did work, you choose to pay and enjoy or not to pay them for it and go without.

Picture a customer service job. imagine if every time someone decided "meh I want your product for free because ", you took a pay cut as a result.
That's what's happening here. I'm not saying you're putting them on the street, but at the end of the day it's money they earned. If you don't think they deserve it, fine. But then you don't deserve the game.

It's funny you mention indie games, because people pirate those too. Piracy isn't some righteous cause you like to delude yourself into believing. It's greed, the same greed you harp on corporate assclowns about.

Now to add some perspective. Again I'm not so jaded as to think that these corporations are the victims they scream to be. They're doing pretty well, and if piracy was as damaging as they like to act sometimes this industry would've died forever ago. But again, it's not about "meh they can take it". They can, but they shouldn't have to.

I could go on but meh I already know the escapists' stance on piracy, even if mods do try to censor it.

Sincerely, the collateral damage to your little feud with "the man", aka the legit consumer. Human too I guess.