Jimquisition: In the Hall of the Mountain Dew

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
JarinArenos said:
I'm still waiting for the kickstarter revolution to really bear fruit. In another year or two, a few of the biggest ones (Wasteland 2, etc) will have borne fruit, and we'll see whether their success/failure will have a major impact on the gaming industry.
The Banner Saga releases this month. A beta version of the game (The Banner Saga Factions) is already out for backers. Then there's FTL and Guns of Icarus. The fruits are already arriving.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
DustyDrB said:
JarinArenos said:
I'm still waiting for the kickstarter revolution to really bear fruit. In another year or two, a few of the biggest ones (Wasteland 2, etc) will have borne fruit, and we'll see whether their success/failure will have a major impact on the gaming industry.
The Banner Saga releases this month. A beta version of the game (The Banner Saga Factions) is already out for backers. Then there's FTL and Guns of Icarus. The fruits are already arriving.
This is true, though I'd argue that those are small and very niche games (I have no interest in either, but that's just genre preference). I'm speaking mostly of the major $1m+ projects that really brought kickstarter all this publicity in the games industry.

ProGrasTiNation

Jul 5, 2009
Aeonknight said:
ProGrasTiNation said:
Aeonknight said:
Was a good episode until he brought piracy into it.

Please don't try to rationalize "eh they make enough money" as a justification for wanting something for nothing. As an arguement, it's just as paper thin and shitty as used toilet paper.

Basic economics principles. Something pirates like to pretend don't exist and will forevermore try to explain/rationalize away. If you're going to ask AAA developers to admit they're greedy, you should ask no less of pirates.
You might hate pirates but the sensible ones like me use it as a means to weed out trash games & give money were its due.
Piracy is a good thing,america wouldn't exist today in its current state without piracy.If the US didn't copy the germans research they wouldn't have had a space program,if they didn't copy...mmm..the list is huge & growing every day.
Piracy only hurts the greedy corporations & governments that think were all on this planet to make them rich while wasting our very short lives buying every piece of crap they can think of to sell to us.
The game industry should be run by gamers for gamers(indie games rock)not money hungry ass clowns that are basicly the same people who have ruined the music & movie industry to the point that they're actually attacking the internet,were the mpaa think they can bring anyone in the world to their court for fines that no person ever could pay.
& i suppose to come back on point for this fine video by jim is to stop listening to these billion dollar companies when they cry losses & open your eyes to the daylight robbery that they indulge in every day!
Your's sincerely A proud pirate/human
A few problems with your arguements.

Stating that the US wouldn't be where it is without copying technological achievements is nowhere near the same thing as an individual obtaining a product that costs money, for free. Not even in the same ball park, I could go on to further say "2 wrongs don't make a right" and all but the point is already made and refuted. Next!

You can hate on them greedy ass clowns all you want. No one said you had to love em. But it's not about like/dislike. It's about putting in what's due, what YOU owe them for enjoying the fruits of their labor. It's a pretty basic concept: they did work, you choose to pay and enjoy or not to pay them for it and go without.

Picture a customer service job. imagine if every time someone decided "meh I want your product for free because ", you took a pay cut as a result.
That's what's happening here. I'm not saying you're putting them on the street, but at the end of the day it's money they earned. If you don't think they deserve it, fine. But then you don't deserve the game.

It's funny you mention indie games, because people pirate those too. Piracy isn't some righteous cause you like to delude yourself into believing. It's greed, the same greed you harp on corporate assclowns about.

Now to add some perspective. Again I'm not so jaded as to think that these corporations are the victims they scream to be. They're doing pretty well, and if piracy was as damaging as they like to act sometimes this industry would've died forever ago. But again, it's not about "meh they can take it". They can, but they shouldn't have to.

I could go on but meh I already know the escapists' stance on piracy, even if mods do try to censor it.

Sincerely, the collateral damage to your little feud with "the man", aka the legit consumer. Human too I guess.
Ill hold strong on my US statement because copying is copying simple as that,& its not the publishers who deserve the $$$$ its the devs which are at the bottom of ladder making very little just like real actors & real musicians(& its not because of piracy).
I don't see piracy as a righteous cause,its a simple statement to the greed that now lives with us in every industry.
Im not on this planet to spend my live throwing money at get rich quick schemes that the corporations that control our $$ entertainment $$ are so very fond of.
And yes indie games get pirated to "duh" but they also get 80%-100% of the money they make because they publish the games themselves which i support as much as i can,also i donate to mod devs so i would say im not greedy,i just make sure my money goes to were it deserves.

You actually think my actions hurt you "the legit customer"?lol
Everyone buying ?50-60/$70-90 games are the ones hurting the legit customer,if you buy overpriced dlc you hurt "the legit customer" & must importantly by supporting theses greedy corporations you hurt the devs they use & abuse to pump out the shit they pump!
In closing as long as there's human on this planet so will piracy & maybe when we finally rid ourselfs of the need for money & greed you'll see the light!

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
ProGrasTiNation said:
Ill hold strong on my US statement because copying is copying simple as that,& its not the publishers who deserve the $$$$ its the devs which are at the bottom of ladder making very little just like real actors & real musicians(& its not because of piracy).
I don't see piracy as a righteous cause,its a simple statement to the greed that now lives with us in every industry.
Im not on this planet to spend my live throwing money at get rich quick schemes that the corporations that control our $$ entertainment $$ are so very fond of.
And yes indie games get pirated to "duh" but they also get 80%-100% of the money they make because they publish the games themselves which i support as much as i can,also i donate to mod devs so i would say im not greedy,i just make sure my money goes to were it deserves.

Everyone buying ?50-60/$70-90 games are the ones hurting the legit customer,if you buy overpriced dlc you hurt "the legit customer" & must importantly by supporting theses greedy corporations you hurt the devs they use & abuse to pump out the shit they pump!
In closing as long as there's human on this planet so will piracy & maybe when we finally rid ourselfs of the need for money & greed you'll see the light!
I actually had a whole other mini-essay typed up and ready for you, calling out a few more flaws in your arguement (and how the "buying games legally hurts myself in the end" doesn't make sense. At all.), but I'd rather let Extra Credits do the talking.

If you'd like to continue beyond this point we may as well take it to messages, already derailed jim's thread enough.

ProGrasTiNation

Jul 5, 2009
Aeonknight said:
ProGrasTiNation said:

I actually had a whole other mini-essay typed up and ready for you, calling out a few more flaws in your arguement (and how the "buying games legally hurts myself in the end" doesn't make sense. At all.), but I'd rather let Extra Credits do the talking.

If you'd like to continue beyond this point we may as well take it to messages, already derailed jim's thread enough.
Why bother writing an essay & then not post?
And i say buying full priced games not paying for them in general,sorry should have made that clearer.
Also i dont think were hijacking a thread,its about corporate greed and the main advocates against piracy are the same companies jims calling out to be manipulative greedy liars.

schwitz

Sep 30, 2012
Easily one of his best videos yet, I agree completely with this advertising crap. When the game industry was first starting, 20 years ago, it was acceptable. Now its just annoying and a blatant rip-off.

nexus

May 30, 2012
Yes.

Buy Halo 4, and get berated by pre-pubescent racists and fiends. When you're not being emasculated, chomp down some genetically modified corn chips laden with monosodium-gluatamate and synthetic food dyes derived from tar sludge. Wash it down with some brominated vegetable oil and diabetes.

The ticket price is $60, and access to your brain cell holocaust will require a subscription fee.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
"I only got clam juice and Mountain Dew."
"Ewwwww! Gimme the clam juice!"
-Homer Simpson

So once again, I agree with Jim.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Milanezi said:
I slept through most of the episode, but I heard something about Mountain Dew... I like Mountain Dew... But sleeping is better.
It about made me fall asleep as well. While I have agreed with Jim on some things, this episode wasn't really good.

It was a bunch of complaining about something that can easily be ignored. If companies want to run such promotional campaigns, let them. People that don't want to take part, don't have to.

Besides, I like Mountain Dew and Doritos and I normally get them promotion or no. So, the Halo 4 promotion was just an added bonus for getting things I normally get. If I didn't like those products, but I still liked Halo 4, I would have ignored the promotion.

Really this episode felt like a filler type, like a "I can't think of what to talk about, so I will talk about this even though it really doesn't effect anything, but I know there are people that eat this kind of stuff up because they think it is a real problem" kind of thing.

Coffeejack

Oct 1, 2012
I saw a video of someone mixing the Halo 4 Doritos with the Halo 4 Mountain Dew. They were sick. I almost followed. That stuff looks rank.