Jimquisition: Integrity, Journalism, and Free PS4s

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Integrity, Journalism, and Free PS4s

Days before the PlayStation 4 launched, Sony held a "review event" in New York, in which reviewers got to pick up their "free" consoles. Then they tweeted pictures of themselves with their PS4s. Then the Internet did its thing.

Watch Video

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
So, remind me never to touch anything you own, Jim...
Ever.

Still, good points were raised by you, thank god for you, bla bla, sacrificing orphans in your name etc.

Now to drink the memories away...

Alandoril

Jul 19, 2010
Well if they didn't want it to look like that, then they really shouldn't have their names emblazoned all over them. That does make them look like gifts, not as resources for the companies they work for...

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Now I'm waiting for somebody to make a .gif of Jim licking his PS4.

Yeah it's a bit unfair to show off your PS4 when you need it, it's almost like slapping us in the face saying "Hey, I can do my job now!"

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
"games are expensive; electronics are expensive. If we asked a reviewer to pay for them, we'd essentially be asking them to pay for their jobs. ."

I think it was that line that made me realize how unnecessary video game journalism is. I mean, are we seriously going to dozens and dozens of websites to get other peoples opinions on things that are subjective to taste? Somehow this week's episode felt less like an idealized rant and more like whining on how unfair it would be if journalists were like ordinary people.

Pay for my own games? Are you mad?!

...maybe.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Silentpony said:
"Video games are expensive. Having journalist pay for them would be essentially having them pay for their jobs."

I think it was that line that made me realize how unnecessary video game journalism is. I mean, are we seriously going to dozens and dozens of websites to get other peoples opinions on things that are subjective to taste? Somehow this week's episode felt less like an idealized rant and more like whining on how unfair it would be if journalists were like ordinary people.

...maybe.
Welcome to the Internet? None of it is necessary. However, people are putting their time into creating something that entertains a lot of people. If they're providing something their audience wants, do they really have to be expected to commit financial suicide to do it?

Reviewers *aren't* normal customers. Look, I can buy all my own games, but don't expect me to spend my days copy editing Escapist articles or even producing Jimquisition videos, because I'd be clocking in at a 9 to 5 office somewhere. :)

FightingFurball

Jul 26, 2011
Alandoril said:
Well if they didn't want it to look like that, then they really shouldn't have their names emblazoned all over them. That does make them look like gifts, not as resources for the companies they work for...
They were given out far before the release. It's common to have those things personalized so you can track back from whom it came if it sold or in case of movies etc. ripped from.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Silentpony said:
I mean, are we seriously going to dozens and dozens of websites to get other peoples opinions on things that are subjective to taste?
As opposed to spending $40-$60 on a title that might be good or might be Ride To Hell: Retribution? Yes.

Their job is to sift through the mountains of games so that people who have other jobs and a limited amount of time/money to enjoy video games can spend as much of that time and money on fun games they enjoy instead of frustrated with games they don't.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
While it's disappointing that you had to explain why game journalists don't and cannot pay for the games they review, you have to admit.

Sony was asking for this shitstorm.

Perhaps the perception of them being gifts has A LOT more to do with the fact that Sony actually went out of their way to EMBLAZON their names on the PS4 in question as opposed to giving them a regular ass system.

I mean, they emblazoned the damn things. To the uninformed that REEKS of bribery and gift material, regardless of it being the case.

So while I agree that all three sides are wrong, I think the most wrong would have to fall to Sony first, the reviewers who bragged on Twitter about it second, and the gamers third.

spoonybard.hahs

Apr 24, 2013
Alandoril said:
That was a requirement for picking one up from Sony at their pre-launch event. If they refused, they would have been denied and had to have waited until day one, thus making their jobs of covering the system a tad harder.

Honestly, I have no idea why people are upset at the notion of reviewers getting free systems/games. When did that fact suddenly become a secret? Yes, hate on the douche bags who posted pics all day long, but don't pretend something that's been happening for DECADES (in this and other industries) is suddenly a violation of basic human decency.

Because it's not.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Jimothy Sterling said:
Silentpony said:
"Video games are expensive. Having journalist pay for them would be essentially having them pay for their jobs."

...maybe.
Welcome to the Internet? None of it is necessary. However, people are putting their time into creating something that entertains a lot of people. If they're providing something their audience wants, do they really have to be expected to commit financial suicide to do it?

Reviewers *aren't* normal customers. Look, I can buy all my own games, but don't expect me to spend my days copy editing Escapist articles or even producing Jimquisition videos, because I'd be clocking in at a 9 to 5 office somewhere. :)
Look, not mad per se but you do have to see it from the 'average' gamers view. If reviewers/critics get a free game and everyone gives it a 10/10 or some such, the 'average' games DOES smell some shit. Am I saying that critics are like millionaires? No, of course not. But I do think there is a level of quid pro quo to this. I mean did every single critic think GTAV was a 10/10(you being the exception I know), or was that just an implied deal they made? Somehow I feel like the latter is more likely...

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
Still never going to forgive Jim for posting that video of him playing Deus Ex 5 days before I could...

puff ball

Mar 14, 2011
jim i hate to tell you this but i think you may have voided the warranty of your ps4. also may i ask why you were blacklisted by Konami and what that entails.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I wonder how these people feel about other media. I'm not a full-time reviewer, but I am a published one. I have gotten many a free CD or book for review purposes. This is not considered a bribe in either field, and CDs and books are far less expensive.

Further, my father IS a full-time reviewer. He even gets unsolicited material. Also not considered a bribe. And he's actually gotten stuff with is name on it before. The reason for the PS4s having the reviewer's name engraved on it seemed obvious to me: this would prevent resale of these desirable devices or allow the seller to be identified.

Some music groups have gone so far as to send out review discs glued into portable CD players designed to be returned. Entertainment media does not want the reviewer to keep, or worse, distribute, the media they're reviewing. If Sony can 'damage control' use of such consoles, they will. I bet they'd go further if they could feasibly get away with it.

I almost feel bad for games reviewers if this is to be the standard. Douchey or not, posting pics with review material does not merit a desire by the gaming community for one to have to bring their own media.

Also, Jim, please tell me you're going to action that PS4 you licked for charity or something. >.>

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Silentpony said:
Jimothy Sterling said:
Silentpony said:

...maybe.

Look, not mad per se but you do have to see it from the 'average' gamers view. If reviewers/critics get a free game and everyone gives it a 10/10 or some such, the 'average' games DOES smell some shit. Am I saying that critics are like millionaires? No, of course not. But I do think there is a level of quid pro quo to this. I mean did every single critic think GTAV was a 10/10(you being the exception I know), or was that just an implied deal they made? Somehow I feel like the latter is more likely...
Did you see the PS4 reviews from a lot of outlets that got "free" games? Knack and Killzone both got pretty average scores, which was doubly funny as a lot of gamers predicted they'd both get 10/10s due to all these "gifts."

I do not believe getting a game "free" makes you kinder to a game. If you believe that of me, you are welcome to, though.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
I have said a long time that there is only 3 types of Jimquisition episodes; bad, filler and good once with food allergies. Looks like I got to add "Should be redundant but aren't".