Jimquisition: Integrity, Journalism, and Free PS4s

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Well, Konami and Microsoft made themselves look a bit stupider. Their loss.

This whole sad thing is just gamer jealousy gone mad.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Ken_J said:
Wait. Blacklisted by Konami? HOW?
There is a Jimquisition episode called Konami. The road to blacklisting begun there.

It ended when I pretended to be the newly crowned head of Konami's PR department for a day. :)

sushkis2

Apr 14, 2011
Am I the only one who thinks that Jim has lost quite a bit of weight since he first started his show?? Keep it up Jim.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I thought that the reviewers at the Sony event had to give their PS4 back afterwards? I don't remember where I heard it but it seemed silly so maybe it was just a bullshit rumour.

And I wouldn't have licked that PS4 Jim, a slave at the Foxconn plant probably wiped their arse on it. Unless you're in to that sort of thing in which case lick away!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Silentpony said:
Look, not mad per se but you do have to see it from the 'average' gamers view. If reviewers/critics get a free game and everyone gives it a 10/10 or some such, the 'average' games DOES smell some shit. Am I saying that critics are like millionaires? No, of course not. But I do think there is a level of quid pro quo to this. I mean did every single critic think GTAV was a 10/10(you being the exception I know), or was that just an implied deal they made? Somehow I feel like the latter is more likely...
You realise, of course, the average 2/10 game also gives out review copies, right? That should kill the implied deal argument dead.

And, I mean, honestly. GTA gets good reviews because it's a well-liked series that's popular with a lot of people. How many people really felt deceived by V's scores? In fact, anyone who offered less than a perfect score got whined about, Greg Tito included.

It's ridiculous to argue that it smells like shit because the standard practice across pretty much all media yields people liking games people like. I mean, what about the free games that get 2/10? Or 5/10? Your argument breaks down because it's not just the good games that people get review copies of. And this is a cross-media phenomenon. I can't believe this even needs to be defended as a practice.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Silentpony said:
I mean, are we seriously going to dozens and dozens of websites to get other peoples opinions on things that are subjective to taste?
While any given form of entertainment does at some point become strictly subjective, there are objective factors as well and that's generally what reviews look at.

In a book, we look at how objectively good or bad the author is when it comes to grammar and things like that. In music, the objectively quality of composition. In film, cinematography and acting. There are reasons why people take classes to learn how to do these things.

While you can certainly like or dislike any game for any reason, there are certain things that really aren't subjective (how well the game runs, for instance).

That's why we have reviewers.

jdarksun

Nov 3, 2003
Falterfire said:
Silentpony said:
I mean, are we seriously going to dozens and dozens of websites to get other peoples opinions on things that are subjective to taste?
As opposed to spending $40-$60 on a title that might be good or might be Ride To Hell: Retribution? Yes.

Their job is to sift through the mountains of games so that people who have other jobs and a limited amount of time/money to enjoy video games can spend as much of that time and money on fun games they enjoy instead of frustrated with games they don't.
This. Honest reviewers who get games well enough ahead of time to provide an accurate assessment of a title provide a valuable service to the gaming community.

So do devs/pubs that are confident enough in their games that they get them out to those publishers.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
sushkis2 said:
Am I the only one who thinks that Jim has lost quite a bit of weight since he first started his show?? Keep it up Jim.
Thank you! I've been taking steps to do so. Watching episodes from months ago is a shocker to me!

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
I too am surprised people needed this to be explained.

Once something becomes a job, it's very difficult to find the fun in it anymore.

I would hate to be a game tester or reviewer. I want to play the games I want to play, my way, when I want. And I certainly wouldn't want to play all those shit games (or good games that just aren't my thing) all the way through constantly, and then have to write about it.

Many "self-employed" people do have to buy their own supplies. Cooks buy their knives, hair stylists buy their tools. These can be written off at tax time. They also get discounts straight from the vendors and other deals their restaurants/salons/what have you have worked out with the suppliers. Or they get given things for free, and are told to recommend the supplying company to their customers by displaying the products everywhere.

I don't think video game reviewers can write off games and consoles (or if they can, it's got to be different), nor can they stroll into GameStop and say "I'm a game reviewer, give me the games and consoles at cost." And game companies risk a lot by giving reviewers stuff for free. Because reviewers are not obligated to say good things about the product. If it's shit, the majority will say it's shit. And not only did the game company lose money giving free product to the reviewer, but the bad review will lose them many more customers. It's sometimes a no-win situation.

Jim's right, it would be insane to expect them to buy their own tools for their job.

And is it wrong to be a straight woman with a crush on Jim? Cause I do. And I don't care.

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Hellfireboy said:
Actually a bit surprised that this even needed an explanations.
My thoughts exactly. Through the whole episode, I was wondering "People aren't aware that's how this works? Wow..."

Honestly, I'd be worried if Sony -Didn't- give tons of journalists PS4s.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Konami blacklisted who for what reason?

Have there been actual cases of game journalists getting bribes?

Pigeon_Grenade

May 29, 2008
Once again Jim Proves he is Intelligent, witty, funny And Occasionally outta his mind

keep being awesome

sushkis2

Apr 14, 2011
Regarding the issue at hand, there aren't that much professions, where the tools of the trade you get for free as a part of job detail are one of the most sought after things on the world by the internet inhabitants and is actually a thing mostly associated with a pastime rather than hard work, like, say a car for a driver or a stock of chemical supplies for a chemist? Sure you can have fun with both of these examples, but I think everybody will agree that nothing would get everybody's on the internet knickers in a twist other than this. Also getting them engraved sounds like overkill.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Excellent video.

Judging from how you review games I think it's hardly possible to cry bribery. Unless they also slipped you a note along with a game to say that their game sucks balls.

Jim, do you feel like you'd review a game even lower if it sucked AND you had to pay for it? Like it's an extra blow because it sucked?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Dragonbums said:
Perhaps the perception of them being gifts has A LOT more to do with the fact that Sony actually went out of their way to EMBLAZON their names on the PS4 in question as opposed to giving them a regular ass system.
Yeah, that's a bit on the show-off side for something that's just supposed to be a "review" unit. I feel it wrongfully celebrates the privileged position that reviewers are in.

But then 5% of those likely broke anyway. :p