Jimquisition: Jimquisition Awards 2013 - BioShock Infinite

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Infinite certainly earned a place on my top 5 of 2013 list, although it probably would be on the lower end. Fingers crossed that Papers Please wins an award.

*Looks up* seriously? Flame wars? ALREADY!? Come on people!

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Full Metal Bolshevik said:
Thanatos2k said:
Also, I gotta ask to people who liked BI story since I never finished.

Is it that good? How does it compare to 999 ?
999 is better. BI gets a little paradoxical at the end, much more so than 999 - which can actually make sense if you think through the situation and build a set of rules for their "situation." BI never really makes sense. BI also goes for more metaphorical crap than direct event-driven stuff like 999 has.
Really?
Then I really don't feel like finishing BI.

But I really liked 999, so much that I'm afraid Zero Escape won't feel as good.
BI's plot and ending make plenty of sense, you just got to spend more than 2 seconds thinking about it. People who whining about BI's plot not making sense are just so used to playing games with a spoon fed plot that's blatantly obvious that they lack the patience for games with a plot with any depth whatsoever.

109 said:
I seriously hope that anybody calling the gameplay of Bioshock Infinite bad doesn't simultainiously mean to imply that the subpar, loose, clunky gameplay in the original Bioshock or anything in that piece of trash Bioshock 2 is deeper and more fun than Bioshock Infinite. The game easily outclasses every other first-person shooter released in its generation, not just for telling a superior story better than all of its competitors, but even as a game of just running around and shooting, dicking around with vigors and flying around on skylines.

The game is slick, tight, difficult, rewards experimentation and unique playstiles, oh and lest we forget that tears are the best innovation in the genre, hell, in the entire field of action games, since Bulletstorm's energy leash at least! Maybe even the gravity gun!

(Not to mention Bioshock Infinite has Elisabeth, the pinnacle of a companion character (okay, Ellie can count as well) instead of the half-baked, ultimately failed mechanic of the Little Sisters.)

Time to admit it folks: Bioshock Infinite is the best first-person shooter released since Half-Life 2.
Agreed. Whenever I hear people complaining that BI's combat is boring, I always think "compared to what?" Shooters VERY rarely have anywhere near as hectic and varied combat as they do in Bioshock Infinite, and most of those are in the same series. I had quite a bit of fun switching around powers and shooting and so forth to take out enemies in hilarious and often sadistic ways. Sure, it starts to get repetitive after awhile but there's only so many ways to cause death that a game developer can give us.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
109 said:
109 said:
Time to admit it folks: Bioshock Infinite is the best first-person shooter released since Half-Life 2.
'insert laugh harder futurama video'

Want me to make a list of fps with better mechanics than Bioshock Infinite?
You can try, I'm going to love proving you wrong.
Call of Duty 4 and Call of Duty World at War.
Obviously I won't make a full list.

Can you tell me with a straight face that BI had better gameplay than those COD's?
Ehhh, World at War was the only CoD I've ever played and I found the experience sub par from what I want from an FPS. There are several different feels to FPSs I've found exist. My preference is on the floaty, unrealistic side of things like Borderlands 2 or Unreal Tournament. I find games like CoD:WaW to feel very heavy and restricted by comparison.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that gameplay is not really a linear graph from bad to good. For a better comparison, do you think Bioshock Infinite was going for the same gameplay feel as CoD where both tried to do the same thing but one did it better? I have not played Infinite but from the gameplay that I've seen, they do not look like comparable material(granted, I'm basing this on promotional material which is not really reflective of the product. I may very well be wrong in my assumptions).

Grace_Omega

Dec 7, 2013
I think there are legitimate reasons to criticize Infinite's plot (the way the game bends over backward to paint the Vox Populi as just as bad as the Founders for no real reason, for example) but to this day I still don't understand why people had such a problem with the game's violence.

Over-reliance on violence in games in general is to be sure a valid argument to be made, but I don't get why everyone decided that *this* game in particular shouldn't have been as violent or should have had an option to play through without killing anyone, particularly when the previous two games were also stuffed full of gore. It's like a handful of people had this irrational idea that it was going to be some completely different kind of game and then got pissed when they saw the finished product, than a pretty big swathe of the community just ran with that.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
Bioshock infinite is the best shooter of the year in my eyes. You have to figure in playing it at a harder difficulty. Hard and 1999 mode both tested everything you can think of and it makes each little battle a lot more satisfying to survive and move on though. Each battle you take on brings a serious host of options, make Elizabeth bring in a rift, with a certain gun and certain vigor active. Its a lot of fast paced strategy. And I personally like the story just as much from beginning to end. It gave me the drive to go though the entire thing. A lot of good twists, with a very good narrative, I completed it only a few times and I swear I still think I missed stuff.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
I wish I could play this game, but my PC can't run it past min specs and I want to experience this in the best possible way.

Kittyhawk

Aug 2, 2012
Loved it, still do. Great game that sits nicely next to my other great Bioshock games.

The post playing critique of it I feel is just some trying to be abstract and objectionable for the sake of it. Stick to your guns, instead of changing your mind after the fact.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
I don?t think that the (arguably wrong) discobiscuit is a major problem with BS Infinite for most people criticizing the game.
From my PoV the gameplay seems to be what most people later on think as rather mediocre. Especially the lackluster powers which ultimately made you choose two and stick with them most of the game is what stick out the most.
Overall I really enjoyed BS Infinite. That said I too am one of those that think the actual gameplay was rather mediocre.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
Evonisia said:
Vkmies said:
Goliath100 said:
Jimmy, who said that Bioshock has LD? I seen legitimate criticism of the reaction of the NPCs, and that the superpowers make no sense in the world, but the LD thing feels like straw figure.
It was explained that the "blueprints" (or the idea, whatever you wanna call them) for the salts were stolen by Fink and the Lutesces from Rapture through a portal. The same machine that they used to steal Elizabeth. Can't remember if it was explained how Adam can exist there, but I imagine the Lutesces worked out a man-made elixir to replace it that they implemented in the actual salts. What other critisisms have there been about salts? I haven't been following too closely about the argument, and I'd be interested in hearing some more. :)
The fact that the salts don't cause any mental issues which the plasmids did. The plasmids were a major part of BioShock 1's story and yet nobody thought to take the salts from Columbia? Rapture fell 40 years after Infinite, why did nobody think of this? You could have avoided the whole disaster Ryan... oh wait, they (the writers) don't care and gave a very crap explanation.
Well, the way I see it, salts aren't really plasmids. I mean, the idea for salts (and probably the basic chemistry) came for plasmids, but I imagine the Lutesces managed to morph them very much to their liking, since people don't need Adam for it. Not sure if it's explained like that, but I don't mind if it wasn't, personally. I do, however, understand why some might get annoyed that no concrete explanation is provided (if there really was no explanation).

I think the reason why Rapture never stole salts from Columbia is fairly obvious. As you can see from the mockumentary-trailers, the existence of Columbia is largely a mystery to the surface-world. People know a town flew into the skies at one point, but within a generation or two it became sort of a legend after nothing was heard from them in years. Once in awhile they found a skyhook or something that dropped out of the sky, but there was never contact between the surface and Columbia in a way that would let the scientists in Rapture find salts.

Also remember that these are just one timeline. There are timelines where salts were stolen by Rapture, there are timelines for everything. Everything has happened, everything will happen.

There are some problems with the actual town of Columbia like the water pouring down from it (nobody on the surface notices? Do they get all their water from rain? That's a lot of rain.) and if it doesn't move, why nobody flew a plane and found it hovering around the same place it was first seen disappear. If it does move, how do they get their energy? Well, even if they don't move, that city would use so much energy.

But these are all things I am willing to forget and I am happy to use my suspension of disbelief. I just think Salts were fairly well explained if you found the voxophones. And I think the stuff that wasn't explained is easy to just figure out or come up with a little something. I can see why people call that lazy game writing, but I always liked a little mystery in my game world. We don't know how Links ocarina works, but we can speculate that it's made from the stone that appears in Skyward Sword. Even then, we don't know how that stone works. But we don't necessarily have to. I like when a game lets fans speculate a bit, but I understand the disagreeing opinions as well. :D

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I never got an opportunity to play it. I figure I'll pick it up during the upcoming XMas/Winter Steam sale. It's how I bought and played the previous ones.

This game did have a whole lot of press with the back and forth. I don't know if it deserved some of the perfect scores it got, I bought into the 8's and 9's, but not the 10's. I'm sure I'll enjoy it very much.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Bioshock Infinate does have some problems, alot of Columbia seems to operate on Rapture rules despite being a living, breathing city, Booker seems like quite a step away from Comstock (granted the stories focused on Elizabeth so it's understandable) and the fact Songbird was scripted events only seems like a MISSED opportunity.

However, it was full of character and little details which I loved so I couldn't agree more with it being one of the years best.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Ronack said:
Euh ... not exactly.

Elisabeth can open up tears so that Booker can use whatever is on the other side, like ammo caches and the like. However, like that first time with the asian fellar, Elizabeth opens up the portal and tears it open completely so that she and Booker go to the other universe. One where they believe the asian fellar is still alive because he's not sitting in that chair. From the wiki ". Understanding that Elizabeth's powers are not strong enough to allow them reverse passage, they enter a reality where Chen Lin is still alive and married to the sister of Fink's Head of Security, which saved him from the fate he experienced in the other reality. They find this Chen Lin to be disoriented, a side effect of his death in the opposite reality, and decide that retrieving his tools might help."
That's what the wiki says, that doesn't mean that's right. Just because the characters think they "leaped" doesn't mean they did. If there's an explanation that makes the plot work, why wouldn't you choose to go with that explanation? The plot works perfectly if you look at it from the perspective that they weren't "leaping". Even Elizabeth says she's not sure of what she is actually doing a few times during the game.

Ultratwinkie said:
...what? Seriously what?

Console have aim assist. PCs don't.

Killing on console is like killing with an aimbot. Its cheap, and you aren't really playing. Aim assist isn't actual skill.

So yes, you are using an aimbot because that's what aim assist is. Its how you can shoot at long range. Its in every single console game since the 90s.
Not all console shooters have aim-assist. Metal Gear Solid 4 and Metal Gear Online have absolutely no aim-assist and the game required headshots to kill other players (watch videos of matches if you want frame-by-frame, there's no aim-assist and players can kill each across the map with headshots just fine). That's how good aiming with a controller can be. Most shooters' aim-assist on a console aren't like COD where it's an aimbot. MoH Warfighter has subtle aim-assist to help stay on enemies running to your right or left. Ghost Recon Future Soldier has the most subtle aim-assist that does what Warfighter does but about 90% less compared to Warfighter to the point where there's basically no aim-assist. Very few shooters' aim-assist has that "snap" to enemy assist that is basically an aimbot. I don't play online shooters with horrible aim-assist like COD and BF. Lastly, it's the developers fault for implementing aim-assist, console players don't need any aim-assist and it actually messes up my shot more than it helps like with Mass Effect, I wish I could turn that shit off.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Charcharo said:
Then what is the problem of using a M+K? Since your opponents are using it, it would not be easier combat then on a console...

And is not really gonna be a good argument for BI on PC, its a PC game.
I hate using a keyboard, it's made for typing, not gaming. It's digital instead of analog as well. Easier doesn't make it better. For example, Wii Bowling is a better representation of bowling even though you can make bowling in a game easier.