Jimquisition: Jimquisition Awards 2013 - The Stanley Parable

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
What, no Papers, Pl-... oh wait, the Facebook commentators are already angry at this.

I feel the need to check out The Stanley Parable, maybe early next year. But farewell 2013 (at least in Jimquistion form), I can't wait for Sony, Microsoft and EA to speak about anything so we get more crazy shenanigans next year.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Personally I found the game a bit pretentious. It's like a Godard movie, mocking anyone that comes along and tries it out with metaphysical references. A "game" that depends on how much thought you have NOT given to the concept of games to impress you.

Mikeyfell said:
Oh, Stephen Fry does the narration.
No he doesn't. Narration is from one Kevan Brighting.

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
Well, color me wrong about Rayman Legends and 3D World making it in. Still, a lot of good games in 2013. A lot I still have yet to play out of lack of money; I played the original Stanley Parable mod as well as the demo for the full version and they were both great, but I haven't gotten the full version itself yet. BioShock Infinite I've been meaning to get, the Last of Us may have been on the list should I ever get a PS3... the other two I'm not too interested in, I admit.

But yeah, Papers Please was one I was surprised didn't make it. I haven't seen a lot of love for Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, either, which I thought was a stellar game but felt so long ago it was hard to believe it was actually released this year. Plus this recent wave of Wii U games I've been missing out on due to not being able to afford the system.

Really quality year; it's just a lack of funds made have to pass over most of it. Hard times lately.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Playing The Stanley Parable was just pure joy all the way through. Completely well deserved win here.

Go play it now! (Also, play the "demo" first...)

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Nicolaus99 said:
Went in knowing nothing about "The Stanley Parable" and went out the same. Seriously, I just watched a 4:23 video about it and all I can tell you is that it is an FPS mod, part of it takes place in an office setting and it evokes emotions. Truly one of the worst recommendations I have ever seen.

Who, going into this video cold, would come out thinking "That video totally makes me want to play The Stanley Parable based on the given evidence of the game's quality presented here."
The Stanley Parable is not a game you watch other people play. That defeats the ENTIRE PURPOSE of the game.

Seriously. Buy it. Play it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
JoJo said:
Well, you would have if the title didn't give the winner away ;-)
Yeah, that was kind of a dead giveaway it wasn't Ghosts.

I was more "really?" Than "BURN THE LECTURN!"

windlenot

Archeoastronomist
Mar 27, 2011
DataSnake said:
A word of advice, though: play the demo. Even if you buy the full game. I can't say why without spoiling something, but trust me: you'll want to play both.
Should I still pick up the demo if I already played through Stanley Parable to completion?

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Well that was random for a lineup, especially seeing as how I've not played any of them (besides watching a friend play the whole way through TLOU) and haven't really been interested in them as much either.

Here's the funny part where some of the other games I have played this year end up on the worst games list, then it will be a sad day.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
The Stanley Parable?! The one that was Myst, but not as entertaining or intuitive?(Myst being notoriously obtuse) Damn, I must have gotten a bad version on Steam. What I played was like a incomplete demo of a game. Like a Gary's Mod with nothing in it. Or a Minecraft building you can barely interact with.
I should try and find the one Jim is talking about.

But I do agree with a few of the other choices. Mostly just Bioshock, but then again I didn't play the fishing one, so who knows about that...

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
windlenot said:
DataSnake said:
A word of advice, though: play the demo. Even if you buy the full game. I can't say why without spoiling something, but trust me: you'll want to play both.
Should I still pick up the demo if I already played through Stanley Parable to completion?
Yes. And it's free.

step1999

Mar 11, 2010
windlenot said:
DataSnake said:
Yes.

It's a parody of game demos that contains literally nothing from the actual game

Banzaiman

Jun 7, 2013
Looks like this is one of those love it or hate it games that we see pop up every now and then. I'm personally wary about dropping money for a game that gives me nothing but wit, though I'll probably download the demo. Just a question though for those who praise it: is there anything more to it than cleverly subverting expectations of a game? I can read about that in about a dozen different places without paying for it.

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
windlenot said:
DataSnake said:
Yes. That's how I did it, and it was well worth the extra time.

Daniel Lowery

Nov 3, 2010
immortalfrieza said:
Daniel Lowery said:
Well, I was wrong. I thought it was going to be GTA V
Oh, Jim... You didn't just put the Stanley Parable as your game of the year? After it kept you enslaved for hours you decided to praise it? Praise? Jim... Jim, I applaud your efforts I really do, but there's only so much awesome you can do. You were meant to let it go, praise a more popular but mediocre game as like GTA5. If you want to choose a better game you'll have to do better than that. I'm afraid you don't have nearly the power you think you have.
I didn't say that because GTA V is more popular than the Stanley Parable.

May 29, 2011
If you're unsure about playing the stanley parable you should try the demo, it has original content and it captures the feel of the game.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:
?In fairness, The Jimquisition awards are tough to do.?
I think Jim might have a very different definition of "tough" than us mere mortals do.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
LisaB1138 said:
As someone with motion sickness issues from FP games, did you have to include footage that just went in circles really fast?
If that's the case, why would you watch a video series that regularly includes loops of footage from First-Person games? I also must say that it's weird that your symptoms are exclusive to first-person views. How does switching to third-person view make this problem go away?

LisaB1138 said:
Could you address developers' refusal to recognize that there are people who cannot play their games for this reason? With all the discussion of trying to be inclusive for all types of gamers, it's sad that developers don't realize they're making games some gamers cannot play.
I'm sure the developers are aware of this - but why should they care, when people who can't play these games won't buy them? They aren't charities. What about all the people who can't play most games because they are blind? Should games be somehow made accessible to them, even though being able to see things is a fundamental part of gameplay?

What about all the people who can't ride bicycles because of health issues, or lack of hand-eye coordination? Those evil, non-inclusive bicycle manufacturers!

LisaB1138 said:
As motion sickness tends to present and increase with age (it did for me,) it seems shortsighted for developers to exclude those portions of the population who are most probably in a position to have disposable income to buy video games.
I very much doubt that the extra cost associated with accommodating everybody would be recovered by sales to such people. Even more, any such kind of accommodation will likely change the nature of the game, thus resulting in less sales in the majority of the market. Many games are about motion and fast pace - how do you take that out, without essentially gutting the game?

Have you thought about maybe trying another hobby that doesn't involve this kind of motion simulation? It's not like there aren't hundreds of enjoyable and rewarding pastimes out there aside from gaming.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
LisaB1138 said:
As someone with motion sickness issues from FP games, did you have to include footage that just went in circles really fast?

I can't play FP games. I'm *physically unable to* play games with a FP perspective, yet it seems more and more games are being released from this perspective only, games I might otherwise have bought. Could you address developers' refusal to recognize that there are people who cannot play their games for this reason? With all the discussion of trying to be inclusive for all types of gamers, it's sad that developers don't realize they're making games some gamers cannot play.

As motion sickness tends to present and increase with age (it did for me,) it seems shortsighted for developers to exclude those portions of the population who are most probably in a position to have disposable income to buy video games.
Do you know how many games are impossible to play for people who only have one of their hands?

Will you crusade against the callous developers who continue to make games with too many buttons, alienating these people?

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
Weaver said:
I finally played the Stanley Parable and I kind of disliked it to be totally honest.
It's basically a game where you try to find all the different paths in the story. It's practically a VN. What pisses me off more is people pretending it's indescribable. It's not.

You walk through an office, a narrator interacts with you, and you try and find all the interactions. That's all the game is. It has a lot to say about the state of gaming, player agency, the notion of what a "game" is and the like; but the entire game is just traversing a DFA and setting flags. It's a bog standard decision tree with some funny narration, the end. A waste of money.

I dare argue Clannad has more complicated branches in it.
Clannad is a game in which one pushes buttons on a control interface and watches an array of miniscule lights ignite in complex patters that our minds assign some meaning to.

The Stanley Parable is a game in which one pushes buttons on a control interface and watches an array of miniscule lights ignite in complex patters that our minds assign some meaning to.

GTA V is a game in which one pushes buttons on a control interface and watches an array of miniscule lights ignite in complex patters that our minds assign some meaning to.

Peggle is a game in which one pushes buttons on a control interface and watches an array of miniscule lights ignite in complex patters that our minds assign some meaning to.

Persona 4 is a game in which one pushes buttons on a control interface and watches an array of miniscule lights ignite in complex patters that our minds assign some meaning to.

This very forum is a game in which one pushes buttons on a control interface and watches an array of miniscule lights ignite in complex patters that our minds assign some meaning to.

Super Mario Galaxy is a game in which one pushes buttons on a control interface and watches an array of miniscule lights ignite in complex patters that our minds assign some meaning to.

Max Payne is a game in which one pushes buttons on a control interface and watches an array of miniscule lights ignite in complex patters that our minds assign some meaning to.

Journey is a game in which one pushes buttons on a control interface and watches an array of miniscule lights ignite in complex patters that our minds assign some meaning to.

Portal is a game in which one pushes...

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
Mike Richards said:
Weaver said:
I finally played the Stanley Parable and I kind of disliked it to be totally honest.
It's basically a game where you try to find all the different paths in the story. It's practically a VN. What pisses me off more is people pretending it's indescribable. It's not.

You walk through an office, a narrator interacts with you, and you try and find all the interactions. That's all the game is. It has a lot to say about the state of gaming, player agency, the notion of what a "game" is and the like; but the entire game is just traversing a DFA and setting flags. It's a bog standard decision tree with some funny narration, the end. A waste of money.

I dare argue Clannad has more complicated branches in it.
Clannad is a game in which one pushes buttons on a control interface and watches an array of miniscule lights ignite in complex patters that our minds assign some meaning to.

The Stanley Parable is a game in which one pushes buttons on a control interface and watches an array of miniscule lights ignite in complex patters that our minds assign some meaning to.

GTA V is a game in which one pushes buttons on a control interface and watches an array of miniscule lights ignite in complex patters that our minds assign some meaning to.

Peggle is a game in which one pushes buttons on a control interface and watches an array of miniscule lights ignite in complex patters that our minds assign some meaning to.

Persona 4 is a game in which one pushes buttons on a control interface and watches an array of miniscule lights ignite in complex patters that our minds assign some meaning to.

This very forum is a game in which one pushes buttons on a control interface and watches an array of miniscule lights ignite in complex patters that our minds assign some meaning to.

Super Mario Galaxy is a game in which one pushes buttons on a control interface and watches an array of miniscule lights ignite in complex patters that our minds assign some meaning to.

Max Payne is a game in which one pushes buttons on a control interface and watches an array of miniscule lights ignite in complex patters that our minds assign some meaning to.

Journey is a game in which one pushes buttons on a control interface and watches an array of miniscule lights ignite in complex patters that our minds assign some meaning to.

Portal is a game in which one pushes...
I believe you mean "patterns", not "patters".