Jimquisition: Jimquisition Awards, Part One

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
I can't wait to be unreasonably angry at the games Jim picks/doesn't pick. It's been a fantastic year for games so this will be an enjoyable treat. Nice to feel like someone is taking time to do something special. I'm guessing Lone Survivor too anyway.

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
Dishonored I feel is pretty meh,it's a good game,but it's just so bland in terms of storytelling and atmosphere.
I mean it can't keep it up,it's only dreary on the outside.We don't get enough context on the places we visit,the world lore doesn't hold its own,and you barely care because you never see it having an affect in the actual environment you're in.
It took Yahtzee to tell me why I didn't care about the world or characters,it's because it's so mechanized,you can't relate to anything.Did I care about the people you murder?No.Did I really care about the Loyalists in the first place as a player?No.Did I care about the black death that is plaguing the town?No.Did I care in the political intrigue which you're dragged in?Nope.
The list goes on...Conclusion: Story,context and aesthetics didn't truly engage me as a player,exceptions being Emily,Piero and Sokolov.

The game is quickly forgetful.The counter argument for the last point is that I never really dicked around and did stuff for the hell of it,I might have when I got detected but I don't remember.
It's truly strong in gameplay which is immediately broken by the overpowered,yet mandatory Blink which you get after the first level.I played on the hardest difficulty and breezed through it(admittedly I was save scumming like there's no tomorrow),mainly because I went the solid stealth non-lethal approach,which allowed me to truly explore almost everything in the environment.

After this comes the next aspect in which this game shines brightly: level design,it felt hub-like,just like Deus Ex and Hitman.Here's a level for you to explore and make your own playground.It's a shame that the few games I select to play usually have this kind of levels,so I'm spoiled when it comes to this,but I admit I was satisfied when lurking in the shadows looking for openings around guarded areas,notes,cash,potions and the like.

But overall I enjoy Mark of the Ninja more than this.Call me a stealth fanatic or whatever but that's my personal opinion.Mark of the Ninja has a flat out better story,better atmosphere and much better refined stealth mechanics,not to mention it's 2D which makes it simpler,yet just as challenging.What can I say,I like pure stealth more than stabby,stabby action.

TL;DR Dishonored is good,but not great.Story,context,background seriously underdeveloped.

EDIT: Please don't let this post discourage you buying Dishonored,like I said,I'm a stealth fanatic and only explored one aspect of the game.The developer needs recognition and the game IS good,the options for playing however you feel like are there,you are free to combine abilities and terrain to your will at any given moment of the game.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
Jimothy Sterling said:
gigastar said:
Is there going to be an... "awards" series for games that have turned out to be exceptionally shit?

Or has that been left to Yahtzee?
Every year I do a "Top Ten Shittiest Games" rundown. That's coming next week.

Yes, on Christmas Eve.

Yes, I feel slightly guilty.

Top 10 "I really hope you didn't just buy these as a gift" list.

We encourage all forms of dream crushing here. :D

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Loved the background music, gave the whole thing a slightly goofy feel, but I really should pick up Dishonoured... Maybe when I'm done with XCOM.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Have to say, this is one of the very few reasons why I still come to this site. It makes up for all the other stupid shit that goes on here.

Gecko clown

Mar 28, 2011
I did like Dihonored's gameplay but the shortness, bland story and robotic characters with bad guys that I don't really feel that much for, I couldn't even bring myself to finish it. I got to the bit where your in the Flooded District, got bored, stopped playing and have not picked it up since.

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
Dang, I completely forgot he was doing a week-long award series. Re-hearing this news makes my Monday! Should be interesting to see what he chooses as his GOTY.

(And even though you didn't ask, Jim, I'll thank God for you anyway. You're welcome. I mean thank you.)

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
Jesus, that music at the start was horrible.
like, I had to mute the video till I saw Jim show up.
Usually I don't do post like this bawing about something....but I disliked it a whole bunch and junk >.>

BlueKenja

Jul 4, 2011
BahamutWings said:
Please, does anyone know the music from the opening montage? i really likes it! (also love ID'ing the FF9 in the background every week :D )
Pretty certain the background music was "Rufus' Welcoming Ceremony" from FF7 this time, weirdly not FF9 Oo

Azuaron

Mar 17, 2010
Prediction: tomorrow is The Walking Dead, as Molly tended to wear a mask just like that.

Punch You

Dec 12, 2010
Jimothy Sterling said:
Number of factors. General audience reaction, direct feedback, and what the winners do with their awards (already been told Bethesda is quite pleased with this, so that's a hot start!).

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
T3hSource said:
I agree with this post, to a point at least.

I enjoyed Dishonored a lot and every positive that Jim mentioned is completely true, plus I do believe it deserves its place in these awards.

However I was disappointed by how little of the world we got to see. It seems like there's a whole lot of lore that has been established in order to create the world but we're never allowed more than a cursory glance at it. I felt like a child who was pushed along by a fussy parent every time I stopped and tried to get a closer look.

I wanted to know more about whale oil mostly; how was it first discovered, What's the process of obtaining it, is there any controversy over the act of slaughtering whales for it? It seemed like such a unique and striking element of the game but it was only ever used as a visual aesthetic and nothing more.

Frission

Until I get thrown out.
May 16, 2011
Azuaron said:
Prediction: tomorrow is The Walking Dead, as Molly tended to wear a mask just like that.
Same here. The game deserves it.

Either way it goes, I like the jimqusisition, so this should be entertaining.

purifico

Oct 29, 2009
BlueKenja said:
BahamutWings said:
Please, does anyone know the music from the opening montage? i really likes it! (also love ID'ing the FF9 in the background every week :D )
Pretty certain the background music was "Rufus' Welcoming Ceremony" from FF7 this time, weirdly not FF9 Oo
This is true. However it is also played by the Prima Vista band during one of Active Time Events in the Evil Forest.

I am predicting that Journey, The Walking Dead and XCom will all get an award, not sure about the 5th game. And have no idea which will be the Game of the Year.

EDIT: I was shocked - SHOCKED, i tell ya! - to hear Jim being so nice and non-sarcastic.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
would the shortening of the award name be the Jimmy?

OT:I may have to look into Dishonored a bit more. I'll probably pick it up at some point in the future when Steam has it on special

Jan 27, 2011
Yup. I know what's up tomorrow.

It was a pretty good game. :)

Wish it had one last extra bit at the end, though. The game was the hardest in the middle. Once you cleared the...umm...Well, creepiest place you can imagine, your options got open enough that it became a lot easier.