Jimquisition: Linearity versus Replayability

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Linearity versus Replayability

Sometimes, Jim wishes he could be you so that he'd also experience the joy of enlightenment each Monday. This week, we look at the mythical struggle between linearity and replayability.

Watch Video

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Agreed 100% with this point. I both tend to enjoy linear games more than non-linear ones, and can replay any game I enjoy (just finished playthrough #13 of Mass Effect. Hell, I've even played Enslaved: Odyssey to the West more than once, and people tore it down for its lack of "replay value"). Any game that is good has infinite replay value for me.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Couldn't agree more.

I'm really sick of the trend of shoehorning multiplayer into every single game that doesn't need it.

DigitalAtlas

Mar 31, 2011
Finally! Tired of having this argument with people. Now I can just send them to this video. That also insults them!

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
All brains are mental, I don't think you had the best choice of words there. But yes all a game needs to be is good, and it can achieve replay value with or without out extras. The Escapist is pretty heavily pro single player so I doubt you'll get many arguments.

Moffman

May 21, 2009
Nice video, your becoming one of my favourite contributors to the Escapist.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I'm still waiting for him to make any points that haven't already been covered better and funnier by ZP and/or EC.

Valate_v1legacy

Sep 16, 2009
I agree! I do miss those fun platformers of yore.

As always, excellent video.

Now time to go play some Super Meat Boy...

the spud

May 2, 2011
To me, the best way to add replay value is to create a world with many optional easter eggs and quests, that way on your second time through you may find something you didn't catch the first time around. It isn't necessary, though.

uberhippy

Apr 28, 2011
Terrific, well done Jim!

Eg: crowning Jem of my childhood, Rachet & Clank, the charming wonder of Insomniac games has been inclining more and more to multiplayer & hub-based cheap thrills instead of the happily explorative, richly comediac, FUN single player joy. (don't get me started on all 4 one)

I miss Rachet and clank :,(

Dr-Sock

Jul 23, 2009
I completely agree with the points made. Although the story was ridiculous ace combat 4 distant thunder was an all time favorite game when I was young and I've replayed it countless times (It did have incentives e.g. more planes).

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Definitely agree. It almost seems that people forgot what "replay" means. Not "play beyond" but "play again".

Oh...and I also have replayed FFIX a few times as well.

the_maestro_sartori

Nov 8, 2009
So true, and wow, I'd not considered the wider aspect such as companies diverting time/money away from the single-player to create / support the multiplayer, and dead space 2 is a damn good example of that.

Tell it, preacher!

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
Sylocat said:
I'm still waiting for him to make any points that haven't already been covered better and funnier by ZP and/or EC.
When was this covered by eitherr of those?

Charmi the ninja

May 28, 2011
I thought we all knew this already. Oh well, I guess there are some people out here that are still this narrow minded.
Btw, did anyone else feel like pulling their eyeballs out when the picture of "Jim Sterling King of gaming" appeared on screen?? :>

Good show - I still don't like yu very much - but good show.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Jim Sterling said:
Linearity versus Replayability

Sometimes, Jim wishes he could be you so that he'd also experience the joy of enlightenment each Monday. This week, we look at the mythical struggle between linearity and replayability.

Watch Video
Would be nice to also present more ways in which developers can assure their games are worth replaying. So far, you've basically just said, "Well, you listen to good songs, read good books, or watch good movies over and over, don't you?" And yeah, people do. And yeah, the fact that these don't change upon multiple experiences is notable.

So, having a great story is one way. Having enjoyable gameplay is another. Super Mario World had levels with multiple finish lines, or those goofy "collect 3 coins" that compel me to play the same level five times--because in my heart, I must have the coins. Both Spiderman 2 (Gamecube) and Just Cause 2 kept me coming back simply for the feel of the travel mechanics. Hulk: Ultimate Destruction let me level cities.

It's not that you didn't make a good point with the episode... it's just it felt like all wind-up, and no punch. Maybe talk about ways in which multiplayer can work against replayability--for instance, because the player can't be assured that the next time through will be dependably fun, if they happen upon jackasses or cheaters in online play. Or about the myriad ways in which developers can properly incentivize replaying the game--some of which were mentioned above.

You raise a good issue. Follow through with that.

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
And now, I can just spam this link on people who actually post, with mind numbing enthusiasm, about how they can't "justify" a game without multiplayer and/or co-op. The PS2 was only a few years ago, guys.

I agree, this has been an awesome episode.