Jimquisition: Lugoscababib Discobiscuits

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Lugoscababib Discobiscuits

This week, Jim loads his gun and shoots holes in the argument that certain games suffer from ludonarrative dissonance, just because they're violent.

Watch Video

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Jimothy Sterling said:

This week, Jim loads his gun and shoots holes in the argument that certain games suffer from ludonarrative dissonance, just because they're violent.

Watch Video
Oh man, speaking of people automatically dismissing violence, have you read greg tito's GTA V review? Oh yeah, how dare a GTA game be violent.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
While i cant speak about Last Of Us (i havnt played it) the issue i see brought up when refering to bioshock infinite is not that its violent but that when Elisabeth sees you murder she freaks out at you (very understandable) but less than 5 minutes later shes throwing ammo at you and such and enabling you to kill, thats where the issue comes in.

Ruzinus

May 20, 2010
Jim, as far as I'm concerned, you are the gaming intelligentsia.

You and that Kieron Gillen fellow, anyway. Who, coinciwobbily, said much the same thing about Infinite.

Edit: Found the quote: "The problems are not necessarily problems. It?s possible that some of the problems are merely the form."

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/06/about-a-girl-assorted-thoughts-on-bioshock-infinite/
Link, because it's relevant.

http://effingarcade.tumblr.com/tagged/Bioshock-Infinite
Another link that is relevant. Talking about "gaming cringe" and people dismissing Infinite because of its violence.

Spoiler warnings to both.

drizztmainsword

Apr 15, 2009
spartandude said:
While i cant speak about Last Of Us (i havnt played it) the issue i see brought up when refering to bioshock infinite is not that its violent but that when Elisabeth sees you murder she freaks out at you (very understandable) but less than 5 minutes later shes throwing ammo at you and such and enabling you to kill, thats where the issue comes in.
While I agree that her transition seemed quick, the essential point is that she realized that in order to achieve her goals, she would have to engage in violence.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Very much agreed. And very good point about Bioshock Infinite. To me it was very evident that Booker is in fact a violent man and sadistic to boot. He doesn't like it, but when pressed against the wall his brutal, sadistic nature comes clean.

Anyhow, the best ways to impress a human being is to show sex, violence or food. Such is the bestial nature of mankind.

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
I remember Moviebob did an episode on Livogargum Dibdoduckette
Link ( http://www.screwattack.com/shows/partners/game-overthinker/game-overthinker-episode-86-stop-talking-me-about-ludonarrative-diss )

He covered it very differently so it's worth a look.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
spartandude said:
That happens once she realizes that it's kill or be killed. A lot of people can ignore their usual moral code when it comes to survival.
And she really don't want to go back to that tower.

Steve2911

May 3, 2010
Best episode in ages. Several good points very well made sir!

And anything that says anything positive about The Last of Us (at all) is A-Ok in my books.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
So you mention the bird eating naked people, but you don't mention the man over to the left with a rather large flute or other primitive woodwind instrument embedded in his rectum?

I see your priorities have changed, Jim.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Couldn't agree more when it comes to Lubomoravcik Dildoseance. It's very rarely used correctly by anyone in the gaming community, reviewers or consumers. And those that can't use it correctly should stop, or learn when to use it.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Racecarlock said:
Jimothy Sterling said:

Watch Video
Oh man, speaking of people automatically dismissing violence, have you read greg tito's GTA V review? Oh yeah, how dare a GTA game be violent.
To be fair, he doesn't seem to be accusing it of lulunermenerh dithonanthy, rather he's making the statement that the protagonists are markedly less sympathetic than in the past instalments.

Bryan Hinson

Mar 18, 2013
Welcome back, I like the change of pace. I can't agree more, i hate intellectual idiots who try to sound like they know it all but miss the point completely. You can't even have a conversation with them because they (most of the time) become so defensive that the conversation turns into an argument. An argument where both sides loose because everyone participating is too busy believing that they are right and that everyone else is wrong. Hopefully some of those people will see this video and pull their nose out of the clouds. And maybe, just maybe, we can have more enjoyable conversations about the games we love, and fewer shouting matches.

Once again, i can't wait till next week. Thank God for you.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Tomb Raider starts off beautifully, and I was prepared to defend it to the death. But it wasn't far in that Lara goes from hiding and sometimes killing to mowing down waves of dudes. I lost it during the explosives duel because it was so damn stupid.

I think this speaks to another problem in gaming, that if we don't have violence gamers quickly tune out. However, that's another argument, so for now, I'll just agree. And also that it's stupid to talk about dissonance just because a game's violent.

Racecarlock said:
Oh man, it's VIOLENT? I'm canceling my pre-order.

drizztmainsword said:
While I agree that her transition seemed quick, the essential point is that she realized that in order to achieve her goals, she would have to engage in violence.
So, from the sound of it, it's not so much ludo-narrative dissonance as it is simply a storytelling contrivance?

DVS BSTrD said:
Lugoscababib-Discobiscuits
if twerking can get into the dictionary, we can get this in.
Only if we can get Miley Cyrus to do it.

MaxwellMouse

Jun 7, 2010
I don't think Bioshock infinite is a good game. That is not because of the violence but the lack in quality with said violence.