Jimquisition: Monetizing Whales For The Retention Of Virality

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Monetizing Whales For The Retention Of Virality

AKA how to sound like a complete and total dickhead.

Watch Video

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Ho boy, I sure felt the emotion in that.
And oh boy was it good, it even made me feel a bit guilty and I fucking agreed with everything you said.

When you spoke about the titles, oh man it just made me cringe.
People really do this?
Damn it, I can see why hope is running low in this industry.
I only hope that people won't do this crap stuff and not go to that "How to Avoid Backlash" seminar, because just as you said ... don't fucking do it in the first place.

Right and simple there Jim.
Now only if more developers listened to you, but they probably won't unless your whale call is the sound of money.

Still, a damn good video, it is something that was burned to my mind. (And I watched the Polaris podcast too)

NOW, now ... let me just read your Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends review when it comes out to calm down. XD

bladeofdarkness

Aug 6, 2009
if you're going to do something that causes backlash - don't fucking do it.

truer words can't ever be said.

Clowndoe

Aug 6, 2012
Golden fucking ending. I normally don't have time to watch the Co-optional, but I made time for you.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
That was GLORIOUS.
I'd really like a list of people who gave those whale panels so I can never give them a penny ever again.

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
Ha Great episode.

And here I was under the impression that GDC was -indeed- more about the passionate developers talking about their craft, rather than corporate suits talking about how to get away with screwing over their own customers.

The great film maker Terrence Malick said it best: "Always respect your audience." If you do not at least do that, then you are part of the problem.

xEightBitPlayerx

Jun 26, 2011
Anything free to play I don't even bother with anymore. It just freaks me out that this micro transaction garbage has made its way into the paid market.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
The co-optional podcast last week was great! So much fun has come out of it :D
It's a shame you and TB didn't let Jesse talk that much though lol.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
I think this was the most disgusting topic in the whole calendar: "Kids & Mobile: Monetizing in a Freemium World". Seriousl going in to the level of disgusting and ethically grey.

Many countries have laws about protecting children from advertising and pressuring for money. - and for a reason.

This is just the kind of behavior that is currently driving EU trade commission to consider adding guidelines on what is F2P and what is not. We shouldn't need these kinds of directives/laws!

The industry is fully aware that they are killing themselves with behavior like this. And what they do?
Instead of sustainable innovation they try to rush in and make as much money they can and then merge in to a bigger company only be dissolved later.

Disgusting.

verylost

Jul 30, 2010
While I agree with most of this video here's a question about the backlash issue: What if it is backlash due to a controversial issue from critics outside the gaming market (for example violence in video games) which have been known to be an issue to cause game developers to shut down projects?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Wow, I don't see you get that pissed off very often. Don't blame you though. If they need a panel on how to reduce backlash then there's something wrong there.

lukesparow

Jan 20, 2014
xEightBitPlayerx said:
Anything free to play I don't even bother with anymore. It just freaks me out that this micro transaction garbage has made its way into the paid market.
I agree. This development is one of the most scary evolutions within the gaming industry right now.
I could've never imagined micro-transactions having a presense in the paid market. The worst part of it is that people are actively defending it.

Makes you wonder (more like actively fear) what'll be next right?

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
verylost said:
While I agree with most of this video here's a question about the backlash issue: What if it is backlash due to a controversial issue from critics outside the gaming market (for example violence in video games) which have been known to be an issue to cause game developers to shut down projects?
Said on Facebook:

My "panel" was not for creative people who take creative risks. They wouldn't try to "reduce backlash" anyway because they should believe in what they're doing, and know it's for the best. If you care about "reducing backlash," clearly you're doing something you know ain't right. Therefore, my "panel" only applies to a certain type of developer. A shit one.

eagle270878

Mar 4, 2008
I knew this Jimquisition was going to be this - thanks to the co-optional podcast and Jim's twitter feed - and I'd just like to say Thank God for you. The level of anger and disgust you convey for these abhorrent 'cunts' was needed.

Bravo.

CorvusFerreum

Jun 13, 2011
You could really feel Jim's rightful wrath in this one.

But yeah, people refering to their costumers as "whales" are the same kind of cynical arseholes who refer to their staff as "human capital" and who see and care about nothing else but productivity and win margins. They exist everywhere, not just in the gaming industry, and I have nothing but scorn left for these creatures.

Thank you Jim for this episode.

Tastum

Jun 1, 2011
I mostly agree, but panels on ways to monetize your game are in theory not a bad idea. There's still a lot of learning game developers need to do to strike a balance between their profits, their customers' well-being, and making sure the game itself remains fun at any level of investment.

However, the topics Jim listed highlight exactly the kind of conversation we shouldn't be having - how best to milk the few paying customers dry before they shove off to your next Skinner box.

BlueJoneleth

Feb 8, 2011
BigTuk said:
To be fair Jim.. backlash can come from actually trying to improve a game. Like say rebalancing your heroes in a MOBA.. dear god. So it is possible to create backlash in your work to improve your own product.
Well even pro players say Lee Sin is the most balanced champion in LOL and what Riot is doing with him is stupid. :p

Regarding the video it is kind of sad we're coming to this. Luckily a lot of people in the industry still genuinely love video games and make games out of pleasure. But there is so much stuff coming out today that you really need to inform yourself a lot about what's good and what's not. I mean, most people on this site probably are, but where do parents who know nothing about games and have to pick something for their kids even begin?