Jimquisition: Monster Boobs And Plastic Children

Thrillho

Oct 13, 2010
I really think that Fleshlight is missing something. Perhaps a photo of Jonathan Holmes glued to it?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
BEWBIES!!!!!!

:p Now that that's out of the way, I understand where Jim is coming from with this, but the "cultural explination" actually does hold some water. On the first page of comments I see someone has already posted the legendary High School of the Dead Bullet Boobie Dance and there-in lies the point. They don't water down their anime which is loaded with gratuitous amounts of...ahem, "Fan Service" when they release said anime for international markets. For crying out loud, Adult Swim used to have a bump featuring a pic of a Japanese subway train going into a tunnel that is being straddled by a giant statue of an anime school girl.

It IS part of their culture. I'm not saying we have to accept or even like that it's part of their culture, but there's a pretty large difference between a country that has oversexualized fantasies about younger girls with disproportionate physiques and a country that mutilates the genitals of females. One is something you can "tolerate" because it's a culture different from your own, the other is something you condemn because they're bringing active physical harm to other human beings.

Look, Dead or Alive is known for one thing: "jiggle physics". Granted, this new interpretation of physics defies the laws of gravity and friction, but just like in anime: it's all "fan service". People don't buy Dead or Alive games because they REALLY love playing paper-rock-scissors and wanted that to be translated into a fighting game. No, they buy it because it's paper-rock-scissors with big honkin' breasts. Don't like it? Well then you likely don't buy or play Dead or Alive games.

Now the Dead or Alive volleyball games, on the other hand, are straight-up masturbation material and anyone claiming to buy those for any reason other than that is a damn dirty liar. :p

Kataskopo

Dec 18, 2009
MatParker116 said:
Those breasts made me feel queasy. Also the sexualisation in HSOTD totally ruins the atmosphere.
I tried to watch Gurren Lagann, but I couldn't get past the first episode. I used to be able to resist fan service and pandering better, but now it feels so freaking stupid.

Some days ago friends of mine were talking about HSOTD saying it was awesome, and it may be, but with that level of fan service I won't be able to watch it.

Shame :(

Blaster395

Dec 13, 2009
ForgottenPr0digy said:
first it was a huge purple dildo bat and then Bad dragon dildos and now we have fleshlights

Is Jim sterling trying to tell us something?? That he masturbates is a fleshlight and uses huge bad dragon dildos??
I wasn't even aware he ever used something from bad dragon as a prop. I thought that site was just an elaborate joke.

Belated

Feb 2, 2011
First minute in, and Jim becomes a hypocrite.
"It's okay to have any fetish you want. Except this harmless one about boob physics, because I think it's weird."
Are you kidding me Jim? And I loved you so much.

Seriously, he's wrong this time. There's nothing wrong with having a fetish for unrealistic boobs. But there is something wrong with promoting hate and intolerance towards people with that fetish. What have we ever done to you?

And no, there's nothing wrong with selling that game internationally either. If you don't like Dead or Alive's breast physics, then guess what? Dead or Alive wasn't designed for you. It was designed for me. Don't impose your morals and your preferences on a demographic that isn't yours. Jim seems to be implying that every game ever made has to be designed to be marketable to everybody, and that's just silly.

So to recap:
-There's nothing wrong with having a fetish, even a fetish for big, unrealistic bouncy breasts. Fetishism is not a choice and being intolerant of a person based on his fetish is as bad as being intolerant of a person based on his sexual orientation. If the fetish isn't hurting anybody, you have no right to promote hate against it.
-There's nothing wrong with selling the game internationally. If you don't like the physics, then the game wasn't made for you. It was made for those of us who do like the physics.

Seriously Jim? Pretending to throw up near the end? Calling the Dead or Alive girls "kids"? For Petesake. You used to be logical. That's just tacky.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
There seems to be a lot of generalization in this thread about Japanese tastes. Let's be careful about what we're critiquing here and the words we use. I'm not seeing any credit given to folks in Japan for being self-aware or having a sense of humor and in my experience folks there were possessed of an abundance of both those virtues.

Not to knock what Jim's saying - he was speaking specifically to Team Ninja and addressing specific things they'd said. Fair enough, thank god for Jim, etc etc.

But FWIW, I always figured the admittedly odd jiggle physics were an attempt by programmers to simulate something real, not unlike the Sims attempt to simulate human behavior. I don't actually think anyone figured they got it 'right' and I've always thought criticisms along the lines of 'have they never seen a real woman' to be needlessly mean-spirited. Programming is tough, and someone here is taking a crack at making a physics engine simulate organic movement.

Climbing out of the uncanny valley is incredibly hard and I'm not sure I can fault folks who, midway through their efforts, start chuckling at how ludicrious what they're doing is and decide to go silly instead of real. I have absolutely no proof that this is what happened, but it jives better with my understanding of how people work than "Oh, those whacky Japanese with their crazy sex fetishes, if only they were enlightened like us."

Burchy22

Oct 1, 2012
I bought DoA5 today and its awesome.
While the jiggle physics are ridiculous, agreed. The sexual stuff seems to have been toned down quite a bit, the new character Mira is fairly covered and doesn't seem that "big", Christie wears a bra rather then a glued on jacket and the casual clothing outfits look like something you'd actually wear.

Really, the pervyness of these games has never really bothered me, its easy to ignore. The only time they have bothered me is when the developers choose it over the story. Like in DoA4 when you complete the game with the main character Kasumi I was expecting some ending video against her clone, but no, we got some retarded mermaid scene that had nothing to do with anything.

This game (and dimensions) seems a lot more story focused so far and I'm enjoying it. If the ending is another God damn mermaid scene though, I'll never defend this title again ~_~

z121231211

Jun 24, 2008
Tenmar said:
I don't even have to listen to your entire episode to realize that Jim is just jumping on the bandwagon where every video game should be based on super realism and if it isn't realistic it shouldn't be made anymore.
No I think he's just jumping on his opinion of "The breast physics are completely unappealing and why the hell would you even want breasts to move like that?"

Maybe you should, like, actually watch the video before you put words in someone else's mouth and attack them like they said that.

EDIT: BTW, I don't understand the whole "Japanese Culture" thing. Taste in breast size seems to be extremely polarized with most of the popular anime coming out today featuring girls with flat chests, and people backlashing because fanartists increase the breast size of their favorite characters.

To say super huge breasts and breast physics are a part of Japanese culture may just be Team Ninja trying to use other's ignorance to defend their actions (at Japan's expense)

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
This is exactly why I can't watch anime newer than say cowboy bebop. You just can't find one made in the last 20 years that doesn't have at least one portion of it sexualizing adolescents. And adolescents is being generous. Most anime has a very strong pedo vibe to it.

A friend of mine wanted to get to me to show me some he liked and I told him I would watch it if it didn't have any panty shots or worse. And he couldn't find any.

The team ninja guy is right that fetishization of breasts on kids is a product of japanese culture and I counter with my opinion that this specific portion of the culture is degenerate and should be minimized instead of celebrated.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
I guess it's just another fetish, like those people who like dolls and such, but a company trying to sell us a fetish as a "cutlure"? Really?
Also, as a fan of TTGL, I have nothing against Gainaxing if it's not overdone, but making it into the focus of entire games is just too much.

btenkink

May 28, 2009
From a horribly shot unscripted dude with a dodgy mic to freakin' Mini Willem Dafoe's head in a fleshlight!

Now THAT's entertainment!

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
People grow up, their hormones die down and then complain about stuff that are blatantly for teenagers. Every generation has teenagers, the industry is not just for your age demographic.

ex275w

Mar 27, 2012
Tenmar said:
ex275w said:
I think you are taking this a little personally.

It's not about the breast size, it's about Team Ninja creating female characters that don't exist in the uncanny valley. The girls could be more appealing if they didn't remind me of cheap Sex Dolls.

It's about Team Ninja blaming everyone else for people not liking the bad parts of their games, instead of them, who created the bad parts themselves.

It's about Team Ninja not being culturally sensitive and trying to compete in the market and them being surprised at other cultures not agreeing with them.

The point of the video is exposing the weak points of Team Ninja and they are welcome to take them and improve their products for a wider audience. In the end, everyone will win.
Let me ask you this question. How is it "bad"? This focus on the negative and thus should be changed logically does not make sense. When you have a product you need to know how to advertise it to the demographic you want because the franchise has existed for so long it's pretty clear cut that they actually like to develop a fighting game that has earned the respect of players to be the way it is.

Also they don't have to be culturally sensitive. If anything the only way we really have learned about other countries culture for better or for worse is when we let the culture be the culture it is. We don't learn everything by basically being cultural imperialists where you demand a company take on the burden of being representative of an entire culture that honestly is so microscopic that it really should be left up to the actual representatives such as religions and the government and the holidays they choose to revere.

Also your last point doesn't make sense. The DOA franchise has always been a successful franchise because they have always improved on the actual core of the game which is the fighting and they have as I stated before have constantly reduced the breast size of all the DOA women from game to game. The real problem here is that people like Jim and the video game version of the religious right feel some moral obligation or authority to demand that games be designed to be super realistic and be respectful to all races, genders religions regardless of the actual wishes of the developers who put their actual financial security on the line to make their product successful.
It's bad because the female characters look unappealing and might be considered by many sexist or immature and people don't want to buy products that they find unappealing, sexist or immature. It's increasing the audience by doing a small action, you don't have to dumb down the game or remove the boobs, just make them charming.

Sure you don't need to be culturally sensitive to release something to international markets but you can't be surprised that if you include a Mexican racist caricature, a lot of Mexicans will be pissed off, sure include it, but be expected to receive criticism. Acting surprised and blaming people for being offended when that happens is just acting like a baby. Even worse, your casual racism or sexism that occurs in your culture isn't the best part of your culture to showcase in your games, especially if it's released everywhere.

Sure then can improve on the franchise's mechanics I'm not debating that. Team Ninja needs to learn criticism and not blame others for their mistakes. Jim is not trying to censor anyone, nor trying to imply every game needs to be Politically Correct or cater to his needs, he is just saying the DOA girls are creepy as shit. Besides why wouldn't you normally be respectful to other cultures, races, sexes, religions, and genders. When you are criticizing something like a religion, you are being respectful, even if you can't believe that.

D-Soul

Sep 5, 2012
teh_Canape said:
MatParker116 said:
teh_Canape said:
DVS BSTrD said:
<youtube=cNtlMjRqfQs>
the location of that "Play" logo is really fucking convenient if you ask me
There is a bathroom scene in that anime that I cannot post because it is softcore hentai.
would be surprised if it WASN'T softcore hentai
and I don't even watch the show XD
I watched it and even though I caught up in the action at that moment looking back at that scene screams WTF and HOW THE F*** IS THAT POSSIBLE especially being able to dodge a .50 cal shot by hopping over it and dodging it by you swaying boobage....I don't what to say anymore about HOTD...

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Belated said:
"It's okay to have any fetish you want. Except this harmless one about boob physics, because I think it's weird."
A) The first part was mostly intended for humor.
B) Even if I'd intended it to be taken at face value, it's not really hypocritical to say that you're for most forms of sexual expression, but find a few unsavory.
C) Seriously, look at those tits. And they're on plastic kids.
D) LOOK AT THEM!

Adahn one

Jul 7, 2010
I remember in the fourth grade, when I and my friend have played DoA demo on PS, we were very confused by jumping breasts. Today it looks already familiar and common, heh

Belated

Feb 2, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:
Belated said:
A) The first part was mostly intended for humor.
B) Even if I'd intended it to be taken at face value, it's not really hypocritical to say that you're for most forms of sexual expression, but find a few unsavory.
C) Seriously, look at those tits. And they're on plastic kids.
D) LOOK AT THEM!
A) Fair enough.
B) Actually in this case, yes it is. It's wrong to rag on people for something they can't help. If it's harming nobody, and it's not a choice, then all you're doing is spreading unwarranted hatred. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.389418-Dead-or-Alive-5-Director-A-Lot-of-Fans-Want-Bigger-Breasts?page=7#15641671]
C) Oh I'm looking at them all right. And don't make me laugh. Those girls aren't kids. You're a kid until you're 13. Then you're a teenager until you're 20. For some reason at some point somebody decided that 18 is the cutoff number for pedophilia. If, God forbid, a 17 or 16 year old girl should blossom early, and you DARE find her attractive, you're somehow a sick person. I don't think I need to explain why this concept is stupid.
D) Still looking. Fetishist pride, baby! We're here, we're weird, get used to it.