Jimquisition: New Generation, Old Bullsh*t

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
Console gaming is already dead in the water. The WiiU was the last real game console. Everything from here on out is just dedicated PC boxes with off-the-shelf components optimized for gaming and media streaming, with only an OS/apps/games ecosystem to differentiate them.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
cynicalsaint1 said:
Yeah that pretty much sums it up.
Also right with you on David Cage - the man is full of shit no two ways about it, the fact that anyone holds him up as some kind of great storytelling innovator in the industry is ridiculous. Heavy Rain had some of the worst writing pretending that it was good writing I've ever seen in a game.
Did it? I don't know, I couldn't get past the excruciatingly dull part (15 mins in) where you watch your kid do his homework and eat dinner. What an escape.

Yea, it felt like a Nintendo event: here's a bunch of games you'd expect and here's one you might not expect but probably played like a year ago on something else.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
So...much...cynicism.

Can't say I blame anyone, though; I barely got into the last generation of consoles, so it's not too surprising this new one isn't exactly lighting my fire, either. The thing I actually find the most exciting is the imminent rise of mac and linux compatible games, and I don't even use mac or linux.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Ehhh I was interested but was left feeling a bit meh overall. I'm left feeling meh about consoles and even PC gaming at the moment. The AAA industry and the big business just isn't moving forwards and I'm tired of the pre-order culture and lies we get fed. I mostly play my games on handhelds at the moment because some interesting stuff happens there.

I'm likely not gonna bother this gen until I see some diversification, I don't want another generation filled with safe shooters with 5 hours stories (which GameTrailers laughably now considers to be an ample length for a single player story), and overpriced overhyped generic multiplayer, possibly with a gimmick but no creativity. Don't even need to upgrade my shitty PC at this rate because I have no desire to play Crysis, or Battlefield, I'm more interested in the quirky platformers and RPG's.

Edit: I'm not trying to be a cynical little fuck either I'm jsut burnt out on it. I've had enough of the same old stuff, the same old hype, the same old regurgitated rubbish.

New FF squeenix? Gee thanks but how about a new IP? How about something new and crazy? Remember when you made the first Kigndom Hearts and people were like "That'll never work!" and then it was fucking brilliant?

tehwalrus

Sep 3, 2008
Assuming the Xbox 3 announcement event ends up like the PS4 one, I feel like these anti-consumer policies are forcing me onto the PC platform. I don't want a media box, I don't want social integration, I don't want kinect or move or waggle remotes - I want to play games without a hastle, and between the beginning of last generation and now there's been a complete 180 on which platforms make you go through a hassle.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Falseprophet said:
Console gaming is already dead in the water. The WiiU was the last real game console. Everything from here on out is just dedicated PC boxes with off-the-shelf components optimized for gaming and media streaming, with only an OS/apps/games ecosystem to differentiate them.
Still another month till a game I want releases on the Wii U ._. NIntendo needs to pull it's finger out it's arse with that.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I was surprised to hear Jim describe the industry as stagnant. Because I thought I was the only one that actually felt that way. While it's mostly the fault of developers for not doing anything new or taking any risks it's also partly our fault as consumers for being content enough to buy the same thing over and over.

I hope Sony can manage to shake things up a little, they certainly were trying to with the Vita and for all its faults it is a fine piece of hardware. If Sony can manage to get more third party support and get a decent amount of the inevitably excellent Japanese library localized, they may just have the breathing space in the next generation to take risks and to convince others to do the same.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Hey Jim, all humour aside, did the parody of the announcement of the PS4 sum up pretty much all thoughts of the event?

In case you haven't seen it:

Brad Gardner

Jun 5, 2012
Maybe that threat was actually a Closet Case homophobe's version of a propersetion unless he ended it with 'no homo' then it wouldn't be.

I'm sorry I'm trying to be funny I don't know if I'm being homophobic by that statement, and I mean no malace to Jim

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
I knew there was something off about the PS4 presentation but I just couldn't put my finger on it. Thank God for Jim.

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Hmm
I'm a bit on the fence about this one.
To be honest I believe that, more "mature" people like us, who have lived through generations of console systems will never get that same excitement as we got when we looked at our first few systems ( for me, I remember Soulcalibur, and I don't think anything will ever rival how excited I was about the game ), so yeah while I personally didn't feel much excitement about anything in the show, I imagine some over-excited kid who'se first console was a PS3, looking at the Killzone trailer must have just gotten his brain blown... SO I feel that we have to pick what to focus our attention on to find things to get excited about.

It's hard to deny that there is a huge area of the game industry profoundly stuck on a greedy protectionist stagnation. And I fully agree with you about the BULSHIT lack of backwards compatibility (and I genuinely feel that David Cage is actually one of the most damaging personalities to Videogames as a medium today; I have felt more emotion from Journey, silent hill, Shadow of the colossus, old Final fantasies and Portal than any of his games which are horrifyingly advertised as the pinnacle of gaming narrative).

But the thing is that as angry as I am about that area of the industry (as I am about the new Youngster Novelists producing onslaughts of teenage vampire werewolf romance stories, or the sequelicious Blockbuster Hollywood productions that have clearly run out of any sort of shame) I know that there are diamonds shining through, and they are more available to us in part thanks to some of these new technologies.

What I -did- like, was the inclusion of 2 rather indie developers in the show, and the implication that self publishing and independent dev IS viable. Which in turn could allow us, to bring more intimate, more interesting experiences to a rather powerful and promising system. I also found that there was an interesting focus on social aspects, which although don't appeal to me directly, could enable some rather nice opening for unconventional multiplayer options, and that, i'm rather excited for.

Anyway, I do agree, but let's hope for the best and look for it when it comes up..
Thank Dog for you ;)

Ps, You shouldn't really read so much from empty internet "threats", It's just people speaking thoughtlessly, without the restraints. In fact, I know it's not your intention at all, but by mentioning this "attack" you are validating the attention seeking intent of who probably is just an immature troll.

Pps, I found it funny how 2 of the games shown were spewing technology paranoia, and then the console is advertised as a machine that gets to know you and predicts your consumer habits... everything everywhere. Raise it up and feed of it I guess.

Zeles

Oct 3, 2009
Wait wait wait wait wait...

A new Infamous? Really? The second one had such a great conclusion! Unless Cole isn't the protagonist this time, I don't think this is going to work out too well.

Deacon Cole

Jan 10, 2009
Country
USA
You know, the video game console industry has been largely the same old thing but with slightly better graphics since the NES days. Even when full 3d was added, it wasn't enough to really justify a purchase to my mind, so I haven't purchased a console, when it was new and current, since the NES. And even that purchase may have been ill-advised. Even if I allow that the PSOne era marked a significant change in the paradigm, it hasn't evolved significantly since. I failed to see what was so much better about the PS2 over the PS1 and the PS3 over the PS2.

So what's so special about the PS4, then? Prettier graphics, but is that all? Of course not, but most of the other improvements are not as noticeable as the graphics. Stuff like improved processing power and such that could allow for larger games and floopy wooby doo. But does this make for better games?

As the prostitute said to the young sailor, it's not what you've got but how you use it. What in the gameplay of any of these games simply could not have been replicated on the PS3 or the PS2 or even the PS1? Better graphics and computing power does not translate to better games. It seemed with the last generation that we'd hit a wall of diminishing returns where the amount of time needed to render the graphics led to shorter, smaller games that were not especially interesting when held up to older games in the same genre or the even the same series.

"Depth" is a word that gets thrown around without much meaning because it seems like no one understands it, especially those who make the games.

purifico

Oct 29, 2009
WHAT?! Do you truly mean to say that I won't be able to play the PSN games I've already bought on PS4? I can understand it not being able to play physical copies, but digital as well? WHAT THE FUCK, SONY?! Have some fucking respect for you loyal customers, you fucking assholes.

JSW

Oct 7, 2009
I'm just glad that developers will no longer be forced to fit their games into half a gigabyte of RAM. I won't buy any of the new consoles any time soon (I bought my PS2 in 2005 and just got a PS3 during the Black Friday sales last year, and will probably follow a similar pattern with the next generation, if I decide to buy one at all) but since most PC games are also targeted at consoles having more powerful boxes hooked up to people's TVs effects everyone.

Personally, I think that the consoles that are really going to make waves this generation and define the direction of the industry going forward aren't the PS4, the WiiU or the next Xbox, they're the Ouya, the Gamestick and the Steambox. Consoles based on open standards (Android for the Ouya and Gamestick, Linux PCs for the Steambox) that anyone can implement, rather than a bunch of proprietary boxes controlled by their manufacturers. It's becoming increasingly obvious that needing to buy several machines that do exactly the same thing just because a piece of software you want is exclusive to one or the other is a practice that needs to die, and that the benefits gained by console makers being able to sell their hardware at a loss and make up the difference on software just aren't necessary anymore.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
Overall, I agree. I wasn't really impressed by the reveal but you might be jumping the gun a bit there. It's still very early.
Watch Dog for example, while we already knew about it, it's still an interesting game. I think its success will be based on how scripted the game will be. Will we have as much freedom as they promise or will we have to do the missions in a certain way and it just basically plays like Assassins Creed with smart phones.
Also, I don't quite agree on the David Cage part. I don't really get all the hate for that presentation. When I watched it, it didn't seem to me like he said, good graphics is all it takes to show emotions. Just that it helps. Which is true and that's why I don't see why we can't have both. Just because he emphasised the graphics there, doesn't mean that the writing will be lacking. However, I agree that we probably won't see those graphics like that in games, I remain very skeptical.

One thing though, it's not just the devs who are afraid of change. While many gamers say that they want a breath of fresh air, in the end, most usually just end up buying what they know. People always expect a company to continue a franchise.
Old franchises is what Nintendo is known for, everyone always expects them to make a new Mario or Zelda or Pokemon game with only little changes.
The only way Valve could make CS2 would be to make an exact replica of 1.6 because even the smallest change will be disliked(ok, I guess this is an extreme example).
Or look at the fan reaction to the new DMC.
This isn't really a defense for companies, more a critique to gamers. Indie devs are really the only ones who bring new things to the industry and that's because they have to. They can't compete with the big dogs in similar franchises. While indie devs do have some success, with the exception of Minecraft, they generally don't really reach a very big popularity. Sure, there is stuff like Bastion and Limbo but those are just rare cases, compared to how many there are. It's still just a niche.
Anyway, point is, people want to play the same stuff and if you want to make money, you make the same stuff.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Hey Jim, all humour aside, did the parody of the announcement of the PS4 sum up pretty much all thoughts of the event?

In case you haven't seen it:

That was actually pretty damn funny.