Jimquisition: New Generation, Old Bullsh*t

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
New Generation, Old Bullsh*t

The PlayStation 4 was announced last week, but Sterling wasn't quite feeling the buzz.

Watch Video

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
gotta love those internet tough guys...

Hopefully things turn out well for the new console generation.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Don't worry Jim, I wont hate on you. I sat and watched the whole conference and felt pretty "meh" about it.

Invadergray

Oct 17, 2011
A great man once said "A new platform is only as good as its launch lineup" and the PS4 is certainly sounding like reheated leftovers at this point.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Most of what you said is precisely why I don't care about the next gen and why I probably wont even bother with it. My PC is still good without an upgrade for several years. So fuck em.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Thanks for that recap. I mean, it hits most of the griping points I have.

But at the same time, can we as gamers ***** about the lack of new "IP" (one of the most misused words this generation) when we reward this line of thinking by investing nothing into such new concepts and designs and instead buying the latest sequels sight unseen?

TheLastFeeder

Oct 29, 2012
Get me a version of Greenlight for the PS4 and I just might get one, It's the stagnation of AAA games that is mostly turning me off the gen consoles.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I agree and this is why I have all but decided to switch PC for all my gaming. And when that guy said that he would fuck you up, are you sure he was making a threat? Maybe he was just overcome with passion.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Yeah that pretty much sums it up.
Also right with you on David Cage - the man is full of shit no two ways about it, the fact that anyone holds him up as some kind of great storytelling innovator in the industry is ridiculous. Heavy Rain had some of the worst writing pretending that it was good writing I've ever seen in a game.

1nfinite_Cros5

Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, I can get the fact that the PS4 isn't backwards compatible with physical media of the past generations. It's really tricky to emulate a previous console because you have to cram the hardware of the last few consoles along with the new hardware.

But not tying the PSN accounts from the last two generations and not being able to carry over said account info with all the previously bought games and save data is just flat out WRONG. I hope to Jim that Sony fixes this issue before they release the PS4.

Snatcher

Oct 28, 2012
I'm not really looking forward to the next generation either. I think it's because I don't want to abandon my ps3 just yet.
Maybe I buy a ps4 when the slim version comes out.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
:/ Eh. You pretty much retold what happened at the announcement(and the David Cage thing to). I feel about the same.
Hell, I have a friend who is a WAY bigger fan of Square Enix than I am, and even he said they fudged up their bit.

As for and David Cage, and Warren Spector talks. I think MovieBob did a good job with his overbites episode on them.
They are bring up the right topics that the games industry should be talking about, in the most pretentious ways, and for really bad reasons.

Thank God for you Jim.
:D Hope the next Aliens game is good!

TyrunnAlberyn

Apr 1, 2010
A few generations back we had a game character in a rather good (if due to publisher involvement unfinished) game saying: "Apathy is Death". Apparantly, the game industry doesn't pay attention to the things their colleagues produce. And sadly, it seems not to Jim either ;).

Aug 31, 2012
Was...was that Jonathan Holmes? Everything else in this video is now meaningless, his glory (hole) wipes away any feelings of disappointment I might have felt for the PS4.

TheLastFeeder

Oct 29, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
DVS BSTrD said:
This ain't a new generation, justa facelift.
Not even a particularly good facelift.

Yay. Social media in my games. If I wanted that, I'd play Farmville.
Shuhei Yoshida said:
You can play offline, but you may want to keep it connected. The system has the low-power mode - I don't know the official term - that the main system is shut down but the subsystem is awake. Downloading or updating or you can wake it up using either the tablet, smartphone or PS Vita. You can go offline totally. Social is big for us, but we understand there are some people who are anti-social! So if you don't want to connect to anyone else, you can do that.
So yeah...

According to Sony use it or be Anti-social.

The Deadpool

Dec 28, 2007
Invadergray said:
A great man once said "A new platform is only as good as its launch lineup" and the PS4 is certainly sounding like reheated leftovers at this point.
Worse than that... Nothing looks like it COULDN'T have just been done in the PS3!

The PS4 looks a bit superfluous to me at this point... Even if Infamous looks like fun.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
It's looking more and more like I'll just be sticking to my PC this gen in all honesty. If a lot of games come out on consoles that I really want I may buy into one of them, but it'll probably be which ever console is trying to fuck me less rather than which is "better".