Jimquisition: New Generation, Old Bullsh*t

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Hey Jim, all humour aside, did the parody of the announcement of the PS4 sum up pretty much all thoughts of the event?

In case you haven't seen it:

Ah, nertz...I was about to mention that! Dern ninjas...

Still...what Jim says kind of worries me. Are we perhaps seeing the death of the consoles and possibly the death of the video game market as we know it? I hope not...

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
Zeles said:
Wait wait wait wait wait...

A new Infamous? Really? The second one had such a great conclusion! Unless Cole isn't the protagonist this time, I don't think this is going to work out too well.
The announcement makes it look like there is a new one. My money is far into the future or its an alternative timeline (or the original timeline where things took a lot longer to go to shit.

I'm hoping that there are just setting up IPs that did well for the starting line up and honestly I can't really blame them too much. Yes I want devs to explore as much as possible the new power and punch it to it's limits in new and exciting ways, however not everyone is going to want new IPs off the bat. What are people more liable to look at and buy on launch day? A game they never heard of or a game from a series that they liked in the past and is a safe bet. So I am really hoping that after the first wave of games that devs start pushing and challenging themselves or otherwise we might just have another flat year.

Also its bull that PSN accounts don't care over. Or at least the PSN games. I say that when the PSN games are compatible people with them tied to their accounts should get them for free.

Gothproxy

Mar 20, 2009
I've never fully understood why people threaten others over the internet, especially threatening public figures (such as yourself) who may live nowhere near the douchebag. I can understand (barely) the sense of anonymity that gives some wankers the sense of empowerment to be total dicks with words. But threats of physical violence? Really? Unless you are some guy who's pissed off at me for sleeping with your girlfriend and you happen to live in the same town, threats of harm over the internet are just a waste of bits, if you ask me.

Meh.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
I hear ya Jim, didn't watch the announcement but did read up on it a bit (I was to busy playing Warframe to be bothered :) )

And thus far, this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aqxa4HN8KBE&feature=player_detailpage#t=65s] is the only response I've really got right now

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
This is why the industry is all but dead to me. I just don't care any more. I don't give 2 shits about the next generation of consoles, I really don't. They can all go die in a fire for all I care.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Falseprophet said:
Console gaming is already dead in the water. The WiiU was the last real game console. Everything from here on out is just dedicated PC boxes with off-the-shelf components optimized for gaming and media streaming, with only an OS/apps/games ecosystem to differentiate them.
The hardware components don't make or break a console. What makes a console is standard hardware and OEM certification for all games released on it.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Waaghpowa said:
Most of what you said is precisely why I don't care about the next gen and why I probably wont even bother with it. My PC is still good without an upgrade for several years. So fuck em.
Agreed I don't see myself going out and buying a PS4 or new xbox at any point in the near future. It's hard to get excited about a new console when I remember the console I currently own was only turned on once this month because I remembered I left a dvd in it.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Holy crap, my sarcasm detector nearly exploded towards the end of that video.

As for the PS4, I at this point in time feel no excitement about it at all. I will probably end up buying one but it won't be for a year or two after it is released. That way they've hopefully fixed any bugs it has, stopped it imploding every time the cat looks at it wrong, is a fair bit cheaper and has a load of decent games for it. Until then, I'll stick with the PS3 (unless that dies).

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
I am curious why people think PSN games should work on the PS4 but not physical games, they both use the cell.

Jan 22, 2011
purifico said:
WHAT?! Do you truly mean to say that I won't be able to play the PSN games I've already bought on PS4? I can understand it not being able to play physical copies, but digital as well? WHAT THE FUCK, SONY?! Have some fucking respect for you loyal customers, you fucking assholes.
Sony being loyal to it's customers??? Pftt are you kidding me still I'll give this console a chance in a couple of years when the work the problems.

Crono1973 said:
I am curious why people think PSN games should work on the PS4 but not physical games, they both use the cell.
It's not the cell that would be the main problem it's the root key/encryption key that is being completely changed. If i recall there was certain leak a few years back that opened the ps3 up for homebrew/modding and ability to play back-ups. Sony could not change this in the ps3 or psp/vita because it would render all previous software useless much like they are doing with the ps4.

Reeve

Feb 8, 2013
Soon, Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo will go the way of Sega, Atari and so many more. Meanwhile Apple, Google and Valve are the future of living room gaming. So speaketh Reeve, inspired prophet of the Elder God.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I was rather underwhelmed as well. However, I'll say this. My console of choice for generation 7 was the Xbox 360, because at the time of deciding between it and the PS3 (I'd already brought and been disappointed by the Wii), the 360 was both the cheapest and came with the larger library of more exciting games. Since then, I've been happy with the choice I made. However, whether or not I go back to Sony again for the first time since the PS2 will depend entirely on what Microsoft plans to change about Xbox LIVE for the next generation. If the answer is 'nothing', then I'll welcome Sony back with open arms, because Microsoft are literally out of excuses to charge me money for a service that Playstation and PC gamers get for free. It's not like it bas back at Xbox LIVE's inception where Sony didn't really have an answer to it, so Microsoft could get away with charging for whatever they wanted for their shiny new toy. I will pay for online play or DLC, not for both.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
DVS BSTrD said:
This ain't a new generation, justa facelift.
Not even a particularly good facelift.

Yay. Social media in my games. If I wanted that, I'd play Farmville.

Yeah I look at some of the differences in console cycles and realize just how much change there normally is and how this new generation is doing the same old crap.

Look at the SNES era games of cartidges with only 3 save slots most games to the psx/N64 which introduced ram upgrade, rumble pack, external storage called memory cards, games played on discs as well as the cartidges, and cutscenes. The Ps2/xbox era introduced the first multimedia look at playing dvd's as well as games, drastically different graphics, voice over, new and updated controls/input.

Of course we know what the ps3/wii/xbox 360 did different last gen.

However this gen there isn't really anything new. With more games coming to PC minus the few exclusives (most are not system sellers) that Sony and Microsoft have, this next generation I am not even remotely interested in.

The lack of BC is what really did it for me as well. Main reason why I bought one of the early fat Ps3's is because I gave away my psx, broke my ps2 recently at that time, and wanted a system that could play all 3. It was a GREAT investment and I never thought it was a waste. Now that Sony and Microsoft expect me to have 5 console systems in my room is just too much (have all 3 from last gen but at least WiiU is BC).

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Every time I get a pre-order for Destiny at work, which is surprisingly often, I just have to mentally roll my eyes, because we really do have no information about the game other than a paragraph of buzzwords like "interactive multiplayer" and "engaging environments."

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
It would be so simple to set up PSN's PS3 library for PS4, wouldn't it? If it would be exactly a PS3 with PS Plus and improved Network with that apparent doubling of power, I would buy the PS4 at full price. However, with so few games to be on PS4 next year compared to so many exclusives on PS3 today, I'm just going to get the PS3 this year instead of the PS4 next year.

Hey, it's Sony's loss.

Toilet

Feb 22, 2012
bringer of illumination said:
As much as I don't give a flying fuck about consoles, I too am tired of this fucking industry.

It's grown old, fat and lazy, to the point where I almost wish it would just all collapse in on itself, so we could have a year or three of new people picking up the pieces, a couple of years to rethink how this entire thing works.
All of this, I think it is time to stick to find a new hobby or stick with what we have while the industry stagnates and dies. The jump from each console generation was a pretty large leap in technology, ideas and types of games but this one feels like a step to the side with everyone sticking to what they know.
I think it's to soon for a new console generation, it feels like I got my PS3 only a little while ago and I still have plenty to play and do with it. When rumours of these consoles started popping up a few years ago I didn't feel excitement like when I heard about the PS3 and 360, it was a "Eh, that's nice but I don't care." feeling.

All I know is that I will not being buying any new consoles (except maybe a 3DS, handhelds are probably the future and show particular promise), I will probably build myself a PC and work on my massive backlog while the industry crumbles around us.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
No it's not just you, I was sitting open armed at the new console generation announcements.

...And promptly crossed them after all the 'new' announcements, Welp PC old pal, looks like you're still in business for the interim. Hope you're ready to work, since the price of a new graphics card is all I'll need to see it through this generation I guess.

It's a facelift at best. Nothing innovative about any of this.
Feels like a cash grab, looks like a cash grab, so I'm treating it like a cash grab and supporting the medium I feel is going to give me my bang for buck and not stagnate as long as there's a million trapped bedroom nerds creating fantastic, cheap and even free content for it.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
YES!, thank God for you indeed Jim, this is exactly how I felt about the announcement of the PS4 and exactly how I feel about the Wii U and whatever Microsoft concocts as an excuse for a "new console".

I already gave up a long time ago, I'm sticking to my trusty and good ol' PC, especially living in this country, where console gaming is a luxurity of maddening proportions, I already feel incredibly uncomfortable spending more than $20 for a 10+ hours single player game (even bought Skyrim at a discount).

Also, in this day and age where there are more and more quality F2P games, I hardly justify spending money in a game anymore (except for HIB games, wich are incredibly fun and refreshing).