Jimquisition: New Generation, Old Bullsh*t

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
So...basically we're calling out Sony for what Nintendo has done almost every generation? Trotting out extensions of the same series.

Call up Nintendo! Turns out their fans don't actually want a Mario/Zelda/Metroid game. Because it reminds them too much of 1987.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
GAunderrated said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
DVS BSTrD said:
This ain't a new generation, justa facelift.
Not even a particularly good facelift.

Yay. Social media in my games. If I wanted that, I'd play Farmville.

Yeah I look at some of the differences in console cycles and realize just how much change there normally is and how this new generation is doing the same old crap.

Look at the SNES era games of cartidges with only 3 save slots most games to the psx/N64 which introduced ram upgrade, rumble pack, external storage called memory cards, games played on discs as well as the cartidges, and cutscenes. The Ps2/xbox era introduced the first multimedia look at playing dvd's as well as games, drastically different graphics, voice over, new and updated controls/input.

Of course we know what the ps3/wii/xbox 360 did different last gen.

However this gen there isn't really anything new. With more games coming to PC minus the few exclusives (most are not system sellers) that Sony and Microsoft have, this next generation I am not even remotely interested in.

The lack of BC is what really did it for me as well. Main reason why I bought one of the early fat Ps3's is because I gave away my psx, broke my ps2 recently at that time, and wanted a system that could play all 3. It was a GREAT investment and I never thought it was a waste. Now that Sony and Microsoft expect me to have 5 console systems in my room is just too much (have all 3 from last gen but at least WiiU is BC).
Your examples of big changes between generations is a little ridiculous.

-512 MB RAM to 8 GB RAM doesn't qualify as a RAM upgrade?
- They can't reinvent rumble and no one wants to go back to proprietary memory cards.
- We still have discs, cards and cutscenes.
- The PS2 didn't introduce multimedia, PS1 had CD playback as did other cd based consoles of the 90's.
- I don't know what you mean by drastically different graphics on the PS2, it's just improved PS1 graphics and the PS3 is just improved PS2 graphics and the PS4 will be improved PS3 graphics.
- Nothing new this gen? How about the touchpad on the PS4 controller? How about the touch screen on the Upad?
- I can assure you that most people's PC's won't be able to run games designed for the PS4.
+ I agree with you about BC.

CyborgGinger

Apr 1, 2011
Think I'll be giving this next "generation" a miss.

Had a great time with my XBox 360 whilst I had it, but now I've a list of games on my Steam wishlist as long as my arm - most of which are beautiful/clever indie titles for under $25 - and I just think "why bother with a console for the foreseeable future?"

Oct 30, 2010
You know what I never get sick of? People complaining companies they have no vested interest in are too risk adverse.

*barf*

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Surprise???
While I am grateful to console gaming for attraction of new gamers, I hate it with insane rage for what it did to gaming
Maybe if gamers switch to PC for a generation or two it will be a good thing?
And unless MS pulls some insane stunt with new Xbox it seems the only safe space for those who want just play games will be PC
I don't want social crap, I don't want unnecessary 30min updates when I have only hour or to two play, I don't want move-y wavy gimmicks, I don't won't rent my gaming platform. I WANT TO GAME FOR FUCK'S SAKE!!! No more no less.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I'm tired of have to either buy the game I already own, AGAIN, or keep a half dozen consoles hooked up to my tv. Thank goodness for steam.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Hey Jim, all humour aside, did the parody of the announcement of the PS4 sum up pretty much all thoughts of the event?

In case you haven't seen it:

Ha! That's actually MORE honest and straight-talking than the real PS4 presentation. Pre-orders, non-playable demos that don't feature gameplay, trash-talking, no backwards compatability (not even for digital games from PSN?! WTF?!)?
I guess I'll say it: the more things change, the more they stay the same.
Oh wait, there's something new: it won't play used games. So new doesn't always mean good.

And I STILL don't know what it looks like!

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
If only Heavenly Sword actually looked that good in gameplay. I might repurchase the game if a HHD remake was made for PS4 that looked just like that.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Jimothy Sterling said:
New Generation, Old Bullsh*t

The PlayStation 4 was announced last week, but Sterling wasn't quite feeling the buzz.

Watch Video
I will say that I heavily disagree, as a developer myself, on the development aspects.

Developers liking the PS4 hardware to develop for is not for the same reasons as the WiiU, as the WiiU interest was more from a design aspect. The reason why developers are eager for the PS4 is because it uses x86 architecture, which means that targeting development is much easier because they can develop and optimise the same as they do for PC, meaning less time spent porting and they don't need to learn an entirely new style of development in the first place.

The reason PSN games can't run on the PS4 is the same reason why full retail games can't run on the PS4, as they're developed for the Cell. PSN games running on the Vita is because a Vita version has been specifically developed alongside it, as they're also different architectures (the Vita uses an ARM chip as is the norm for mobile devices nowadays), the Vita doesn't simply run the PS3 version as that would be impossible.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
The way I see it, once the "two thumbstick", vibration, and internet connectivity became standard, we hit the wall. Everything else (motion controls, touchscreens, social/streaming, cameras) has been grasping at straws and trying to pile on a solidified and perfected formula. I think we have to start looking at the screens, or rather how we experience the content as opposed to how we interact with it.

The consoles have the un-moving wall that is the HDTV, where the resolution is capped at 1080p. PC already has triple-monitor setups, and I see the real future being the Oculus Rift. If the Steambox/Ouya situation makes the Oculus Rift easy to use, it should be a big deal. What makes it hard is when the hardware in question isn't bundled with the system itself...compare the Wii to the PS Move controllers. I haven't seen a 3D TV in action, but I can't imagine that it does much more than make the old experience cumbersome and headache inducing.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Crono1973 said:
GAunderrated said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
DVS BSTrD said:
This ain't a new generation, justa facelift.
Not even a particularly good facelift.

Yay. Social media in my games. If I wanted that, I'd play Farmville.

Yeah I look at some of the differences in console cycles and realize just how much change there normally is and how this new generation is doing the same old crap.

Look at the SNES era games of cartidges with only 3 save slots most games to the psx/N64 which introduced ram upgrade, rumble pack, external storage called memory cards, games played on discs as well as the cartidges, and cutscenes. The Ps2/xbox era introduced the first multimedia look at playing dvd's as well as games, drastically different graphics, voice over, new and updated controls/input.

Of course we know what the ps3/wii/xbox 360 did different last gen.

However this gen there isn't really anything new. With more games coming to PC minus the few exclusives (most are not system sellers) that Sony and Microsoft have, this next generation I am not even remotely interested in.

The lack of BC is what really did it for me as well. Main reason why I bought one of the early fat Ps3's is because I gave away my psx, broke my ps2 recently at that time, and wanted a system that could play all 3. It was a GREAT investment and I never thought it was a waste. Now that Sony and Microsoft expect me to have 5 console systems in my room is just too much (have all 3 from last gen but at least WiiU is BC).
Your examples of big changes between generations is a little ridiculous.

-512 MB RAM to 8 GB RAM doesn't qualify as a RAM upgrade?
- They can't reinvent rumble and no one wants to go back to proprietary memory cards.
- We still have discs, cards and cutscenes.
- The PS2 didn't introduce multimedia, PS1 had CD playback as did other cd based consoles of the 90's.
- I don't know what you mean by drastically different graphics on the PS2, it's just improved PS1 graphics and the PS3 is just improved PS2 graphics and the PS4 will be improved PS3 graphics.
- Nothing new this gen? How about the touchpad on the PS4 controller? How about the touch screen on the Upad?
- I can assure you that most people's PC's won't be able to run games designed for the PS4.
+ I agree with you about BC.
Well I guess I will answer your post in order since you didn't seem to understand my point (no offense).

- It is a ram upgrade but my mention of the n64 was that it was the FIRST ram upgrade, hence being an innovation. Also RAM doesn't work the same way in consoles as it does in computers so while it is a nice boost, I don't think it will be as great as people touting it will believe.

- I never said they should do either of those. You are just projecting something I never said in an attempt to defend Sony (for whatever reason). I was merely pointing out the leaps and jumps from past console generations to the next and how this one has very little jumps.

- Again read my first point as this is also just another case of missing the point.

- This point I am going to chalk up to agree to disagree because any argument I can think of just comes down to a matter of personal taste.

- Touchpad is nothing new considering touchpad technology with cell phones, Ipads, and handheld gaming devices such as DS and Vita. That is not innovation that is just taking an old idea and finally implimenting them to the consoles. Now if they attempted it back in 2009/2010 it would be a different story.

- You can assure me? That is just a bunch of nonsense there that you think you can speak for every PC gamer out there. Please don't talk nonsense. I can deal with opinions but when you try and speak for everyone as a whole, that's just plain garbage.

l3o2828

Mar 24, 2011
Wait, am i reading this wrong or on the video it says GARME JOURNALIZM isnstead of GAME?

carlh267

Jun 4, 2012
Zeles said:
Wait wait wait wait wait...

A new Infamous? Really? The second one had such a great conclusion! Unless Cole isn't the protagonist this time, I don't think this is going to work out too well.
He isn't, they apparently have a new website up that gives barebones details about the plot. Still doesn't make too much sense given either conclusion of InFamous 2 imo. Hopefully Sucker Punch is able to differentiate it from the previous games.

FedericoV

Apr 17, 2011
Crono1973 said:
- I can assure you that most people's PC's won't be able to run games designed for the PS4
Since you are so sure, tell me: what kind of PC won't be able to run a game designed for the PS4/Xbox720?

I've just updated my PC buying a GTX 670, an SSD and some more RAM (for the total of 12 GB). I hope it will be able to handle games designed for the next gen at medium settings.

I own a PS3 and a gaming PC. I think that in the next gen, the Steambox will roll the competition.

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
Yes, the industry needs to shake up a bit. But not to stop churning out sequels. They should keep coming to generate money for experimental stuff. Yes, there should be more experimental stuff, that I agree but there has to be money to be wasted on such expeditions since most of it will blow over gamers heads. Ps3 had Heavenly sword and Folklore, two great games, Folklore being one of the most beautiful to behold in this whole generation. And they both failed, the second one failed HARD! And I hope to see more till launch. I hold some hope in reserve.

Now you mention problem with Backwards compatibility. I understand your anger, but YOUR anger is pretty much irrelevant. Vast majority does not care about it, but vast majority will care about raised prices. And second, i will never understand how location of games makes a difference. If games does not work it does not WORK. Disc or PSN does not matter! I can?t wrap my head about that. You either can or can?t play it. Where does the location factor in?

About Developer masturbation section. You have to understand that Sony was skewed hundreds of times because it had hardware notoriously difficult to work with. They were saving their heads. Putting out the message that PS3-XBOX360 comparison debacle will not repeat was one of the top 5 priorities of this presentation i would dare to argue.

I took quite a different conclusion from Cage. He said that new generation allows us to stop to exaggerate emotions to convey them. To stop using anime level faces to convey subtle changes in people. And I agree to some extent. I love Tell Tales Walking Dead game, but visual "acting" is exaggerated, to ridiculous amounts in some cases. I'm terrible at reading people but I could read faces in L.A. Noire to the point that the game was boring to me. At least that's what I got from his talk. His DICE talk had much worse connotation.

As for Media Molecule? You are really comparing that to Wii music. Wii music was a game, this is concept. And I'm really split about it. I really love the creativity of it, and I believe in Media Molecule that they can make something fun with it. On the other hand it was shameless plug for failed Move.

As for the rest, Phanta Rei engine is looking really good, even if you can cut it to half for actual gameplay, Square Enix was laughable, Bungie on PS is Bungie on PS and Blizzard Deal started way before Diablo III came out for PC.

All in all, sequels sell. I expect Naughty Dog other team to announce Uncharted 4 for PS4, not some new IP. And I expect that because it will do more for PS4 launch then some new IP. But there will be new IPs. They just will take time. Or Sony didn't want to blow its main load so early which is even more probable.

In the end I'm far more excited about features of console. Social sharing is done great if it's as shown and they mentioned PSN self-publishing. If that possibility does not excite you you are already dead. And I know there is some bit BUT berried in there, along ones for Gaikai Streaming and not blocking Used Games, but pure possibility is great.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Jim, were you actually threatened physically (i.e: confronted in the street), or was it just some guy posting idle threats online?