Jimquisition: New Generation, Old Bullsh*t

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
FedericoV said:
Crono1973 said:
- I can assure you that most people's PC's won't be able to run games designed for the PS4
Since you are so sure, tell me: what kind of PC won't be able to run a game designed for the PS4/Xbox720?

I've just updated my PC buying a GTX 670, an SSD and some more RAM (for the total of 12 GB). I hope it will be able to handle games designed for the next gen at medium settings.

I own a PS3 and a gaming PC. I think that in the next gen, the Steambox will roll the competition.
Most PC's don't have a GTX 670, 12 GB's of RAM and a quad core. Was the point of this post to brag about YOUR specs?

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
SkarKrow said:
Falseprophet said:
Console gaming is already dead in the water. The WiiU was the last real game console. Everything from here on out is just dedicated PC boxes with off-the-shelf components optimized for gaming and media streaming, with only an OS/apps/games ecosystem to differentiate them.
Still another month till a game I want releases on the Wii U ._. NIntendo needs to pull it's finger out it's arse with that.
I was gonna buy one for Rayman and Bayonetta but now... yeah... still getting it for Pikmin, which by the way Nintendo, when iiiiiiisss?

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
The reason I quit consoles is because of this. This week I had no issues playing Stronghold and the original Deus Ex on my pc. Unlike consoles, my games don't become completely USELESS!

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
PunkRex said:
SkarKrow said:
Falseprophet said:
Console gaming is already dead in the water. The WiiU was the last real game console. Everything from here on out is just dedicated PC boxes with off-the-shelf components optimized for gaming and media streaming, with only an OS/apps/games ecosystem to differentiate them.
Still another month till a game I want releases on the Wii U ._. NIntendo needs to pull it's finger out it's arse with that.
I was gonna buy one for Rayman and Bayonetta but now... yeah... still getting it for Pikmin, which by the way Nintendo, when iiiiiiisss?
Well Bayonetta is coming... sometime... Pikmin is... sometime this year...

See I'd really like to defend the Wii U but I haven't yet bought any new g ames on it. I have Mario Bros U and ZombiU and Tekken Tag 2... That's it, Lego City Undercover looks fun, then there's actually nothing I can think of with a firm date. Hell in Europe Scribblenauts has been indefinately delayed and I kind of wanted that.

Don't get me wrong Mario Bros U is good and ZombiU is decent if it tickles your fancy but the damn thing needs games, new games, exclusive games, and it needs them a month ago. I think I last used mine aweek ago to pick up F-Zero from the eShop and try the Monster Hunter demo (short story: The controls fucking suck).

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
GAunderrated said:
Crono1973 said:
GAunderrated said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
DVS BSTrD said:
This ain't a new generation, justa facelift.
Not even a particularly good facelift.

Yay. Social media in my games. If I wanted that, I'd play Farmville.

Yeah I look at some of the differences in console cycles and realize just how much change there normally is and how this new generation is doing the same old crap.

Look at the SNES era games of cartidges with only 3 save slots most games to the psx/N64 which introduced ram upgrade, rumble pack, external storage called memory cards, games played on discs as well as the cartidges, and cutscenes. The Ps2/xbox era introduced the first multimedia look at playing dvd's as well as games, drastically different graphics, voice over, new and updated controls/input.

Of course we know what the ps3/wii/xbox 360 did different last gen.

However this gen there isn't really anything new. With more games coming to PC minus the few exclusives (most are not system sellers) that Sony and Microsoft have, this next generation I am not even remotely interested in.

The lack of BC is what really did it for me as well. Main reason why I bought one of the early fat Ps3's is because I gave away my psx, broke my ps2 recently at that time, and wanted a system that could play all 3. It was a GREAT investment and I never thought it was a waste. Now that Sony and Microsoft expect me to have 5 console systems in my room is just too much (have all 3 from last gen but at least WiiU is BC).
Your examples of big changes between generations is a little ridiculous.

-512 MB RAM to 8 GB RAM doesn't qualify as a RAM upgrade?
- They can't reinvent rumble and no one wants to go back to proprietary memory cards.
- We still have discs, cards and cutscenes.
- The PS2 didn't introduce multimedia, PS1 had CD playback as did other cd based consoles of the 90's.
- I don't know what you mean by drastically different graphics on the PS2, it's just improved PS1 graphics and the PS3 is just improved PS2 graphics and the PS4 will be improved PS3 graphics.
- Nothing new this gen? How about the touchpad on the PS4 controller? How about the touch screen on the Upad?
- I can assure you that most people's PC's won't be able to run games designed for the PS4.
+ I agree with you about BC.
Well I guess I will answer your post in order since you didn't seem to understand my point (no offense).

- It is a ram upgrade but my mention of the n64 was that it was the FIRST ram upgrade, hence being an innovation. Also RAM doesn't work the same way in consoles as it does in computers so while it is a nice boost, I don't think it will be as great as people touting it will believe.

- I never said they should do either of those. You are just projecting something I never said in an attempt to defend Sony (for whatever reason). I was merely pointing out the leaps and jumps from past console generations to the next and how this one has very little jumps.

- Again read my first point as this is also just another case of missing the point.

- This point I am going to chalk up to agree to disagree because any argument I can think of just comes down to a matter of personal taste.

- Touchpad is nothing new considering touchpad technology with cell phones, Ipads, and handheld gaming devices such as DS and Vita. That is not innovation that is just taking an old idea and finally implimenting them to the consoles. Now if they attempted it back in 2009/2010 it would be a different story.

- You can assure me? That is just a bunch of nonsense there that you think you can speak for every PC gamer out there. Please don't talk nonsense. I can deal with opinions but when you try and speak for everyone as a whole, that's just plain garbage.
1) The N64 memory pack may have been an innovation for consoles but it wasn't a good one. Upgrading RAM is supposed to be outside the scope of consoles, that's the point of standard hardware. You'll notice it hasn't happened since.

2) I am confused, how am I defending Sony when I say no one wants to go back to proprietary memory cards? How am I defending Sony when I say that no one can reinvent rumble? You are full of shit with this point, I didn't defend Sony or any other company. In fact, Sony is still using proprietary memory cards with the Vita.

3) I see, by "nothing new" you meant "nothing that hasn't been seen before". You know what buddy, we don't want more crap thrown at us JUST BECAUSE IT'S NEW. I don't want the touchpad or the touchscreen but this IS the most change the Dual Shock has seen since the analog sticks were added. People screaming about innovation just for the sake of it...irritate me.

4) Learn to read, I said "most", not "every". Now tell me, do you think MOST PC's are high end?

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Zeckt said:
The reason I quit consoles is because of this. This week I had no issues playing Stronghold and the original Deus Ex on my pc. Unlike consoles, my games don't become completely USELESS!
Indeed. If Steam said you couldn't play your digital games on the next version of Windows, very few would be ok with it.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Well of course that, when developers say they are waiting for the "next generation", they just mean they're waiting for prettier graphics and pretty much throw the blame of stagnant titles on the console developers. Really, Ubisoft is the one who's always wanking that dead horse and I'm surprised it still appears in the news. Yves is so full of shit, it's surprising how he hasn't been seen wearing gas masks.

While I agree with you on most aspects, I hardly believe that the failure of the PS4 and Xbox 720 will mean the end of console gaming. In honesty, I do hope they fail, since as long as the money's there, console gaming will awaken from the ashes like the Phoenix, with new console developers, new concepts and fresh games.

It's still a bit too early, though. Until more is revealed and until the Xbox 720 rears it's head, all we can do is speculate.

On a side note, I do hope that the Xbox 720 won't be far superior to the PS4. I'd hate to move to Xbox and pay the online gameplay subscription.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Thank you for mentioning how absurd the PSN thing is. A good addendum to that is the fact that there really is no reason why the PS4 shouldn't be able to play PS2 and PS1 games. Emulation, while buggy with PS2 games, would allow many PS2 games still playable, and many more PS1 games then that. They tout the PS4 as having the simple architecture of a PC? Well, PCs can emulate these consoles just fine. So they don't really have an excuse for lack of backwards compatibility outside of PS3 games. Whats startling isn't the lack of backwards compatibility with PSN, PS1 and PS2 games, but the obvious attitude this implies. You're right, the industry hasn't changed from last gen. They are still just checking arbitrary boxes of what their data says gamers find relevant. This is exactly why the vita turned out the way it did. We (gamers) are now aliens to them. They have no idea what we actually want or need. They can't, they're too detached.

This is some pretty stark contrast to the initial release of the PS1.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
The reverence for David Cage strikes me as coming from people with little imagination and even less understanding of competent - let alone good - writing. I suspect we're stuck with him because the film industry won't have him.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
Cecilthedarkknight_234 said:
purifico said:
WHAT?! Do you truly mean to say that I won't be able to play the PSN games I've already bought on PS4? I can understand it not being able to play physical copies, but digital as well? WHAT THE FUCK, SONY?! Have some fucking respect for you loyal customers, you fucking assholes.
Sony being loyal to it's customers??? Pftt are you kidding me still I'll give this console a chance in a couple of years when the work the problems.

Crono1973 said:
I am curious why people think PSN games should work on the PS4 but not physical games, they both use the cell.
It's not the cell that would be the main problem it's the root key/encryption key that is being completely changed. If i recall there was certain leak a few years back that opened the ps3 up for homebrew/modding and ability to play back-ups. Sony could not change this in the ps3 or psp/vita because it would render all previous software useless much like they are doing with the ps4.
I seem to remember them saying in the conference or in the after-interviews that there are legitimate coding reasons that makes it impossible to just drag and drop PS3 games into the PS4, which couldn't come without building in an emulator (which would increase development costs) or changing the original code structure (which will take time). As far as the information I've seen, unless the game devs made the effort to re-code to the new console, the games formerly on the PSN would be unavailable on the PS4. I don't think it's worth getting upset for until they start selling the same thing we've already purchased. If that game isn't for sale at all through this medium, it's an unfortunate miss for library transfer, but not something that's inherently greedy/short-sighted.

OT: I don't get the hate that comes across for the PS4. While people's concerns or expectations can always be discussed, the pure amount of "WORST EVAR" discussions are shameful to the gaming community and shows exactly why developers do what they do. In Jim's video, he talks about how it's more of the same from the game's industry (pre-hype, announcement announcements, etc.) However, these practices aren't around because company's love spending time/energy/resources to give you vague information.

The fact is that teaser trailers, pre-release hype, and the early dispersal of information are eaten up by the consumer. These marketing tactics are employed across the corporate landscape. Why? The internet. The biggest hurdle businesses face is getting their name out there. How can a consumer shop at your store or pay for your products when they don't know you exist? Even when speaking about a console in a negative light, you serve to spread awareness of the PS4's existence and features. By not revealing details in full, Sony has ensured that the internet machine will be abuzz with discussion on its device. People's overwhelming desire to speculate, quantify, and share their opinions is doing all their marketing for them at very little cost.

This internet machine not only helps to build awareness, but also serves to push product. Generally speaking in regards to how our psyches work, the more people are exposed to something, the more favorably they will perceive it. In psychology, this is known as the mere-exposure effect. This is not without it's potential downfalls for a company, as they do run the risk of over-exposure. But, despite the fact that we're all talking about it, Sony doesn't seem to be PUSHING marketing on me (at least not yet, in comparison to movie companies). I watched the conference because I was interested, not because they took out ad-space prior to my favorite video series to berate me about the PS4.

Also, providing an extremely antagonizing opinion allows an avenue for the people who viewed the product as moderate or favorable to dissent to your opinion. At the end of the day, polarization can be a solid business move. 10 consumers who are completely committed to your brand (fan boys, as the gaming community would call them) are arguably more valuable than 20 people who aren't. Look at Apple. You can't tell me that they don't survive/thrive with their fan-boys. My roommate will literally buy whatever gadget comes out with Apple's logo on it (whether or not he needs it or if there are better devices out there). It's not limited to physical product, either. Fox News is another example. They've polarized their audience against any other sources of information, thus holding a monopoly on a core audience's ad revenue power.

Do you demand that companies start giving you more information that's concrete over what we get now? Stop being that kind of consumer. Stop letting it work for them. Nobody's forcing you to watch the conference. Nobody's forcing you to post the 900th message to the forums on the subject. Most importantly, nobody's forcing you to buy the thing. Why do you hate something that, unless you decide to buy it, has absolutely NO IMPACT on your life? When you do these things as a consumer, you only serve to feed the beast.

/micdrop

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Honestly most excited about The Witness and what this means for Sony. It means they're attempting to bring indies and interesting games (a la Journey and The Unfinished Swan) into their system- basically being the ARtisan system this gen.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
jmarquiso said:
Honestly most excited about The Witness and what this means for Sony. It means they're attempting to bring indies and interesting games (a la Journey and The Unfinished Swan) into their system- basically being the ARtisan system this gen.
Sounds boring. Art games generally suck.

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
Watch out, Jim. Now that guy is reeeeeally gonna fuck your shit up.

OT: Man I hope the industry can get it together in the coming years. Although, sadly, I'm afraid things will continue right along as per usual regardless of whether it does or not. Mmh, that was pretty pessimistic; to counter that statement, at least we'll have better looking games... yeah I know.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Thank god for you, Jim! I made a parallel between Sony's 3rd party support reel and Nintendo's Wii U 3rd party support reel and pointed out that I wasn't at all excited elsewhere and was pretty much ignored or called stupid. I'm just happy that somebody else remembered the Wii U having the same thing and then none of the mother fuckers actually backed it up.

Also, yeah, this was the worst possible time for Sony to show off tech demos and concepts. One week after the Aliens Colonial Marines scandal had taught us not to believe anything they show us to be what they say it is, Sony expects us all to believe that everything they showed as a fully interactive thing running on PS4 hardware and not some fake bullshit. And they didn't even have the smarts to edit out Randy Pitchford from their 3rd party support reel, giving me TWO reasons not to take it seriously.

Also yes David Cage talks bullshit. Games have too much gun violence, too many guns in games aahh! This coming from a guy who made a game that has this scene in it:
Don't get me wrong, his talking bullshit isn't going to stop me wanting Beyond Two Souls, but he talks bullshit nonetheless.

One last thing, just going to leave this here:

bringer of illumination said:
Some wanker on the internet writing about how he'll totally shank you and fuck your mother does NOT constitute an actual threat, grow the fuck up.
I remember when I was in middle school and some kid who got bullied saying he was going to kill the bullies didn't constitute an actual threat. Then Columbine happened and suddenly it was an actual threat.

Point is, just because people talk shit on the internet doesn't mean you're safe. One day a crazy mother fucker could come along and actually do it, so yes, it is an actual threat and should be taken as such.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
It seems the same because guess what? We havent fixed the problems of the industry. We keep rewarding these people instead of punishing them. So when they give a lie of horseshit saying they cant continue BCing PS2 on PS3... and people kept buying PS3 units even without originally promised features, and then turn around to use that lie as a means to create a profit market on reselling digital versions Is it the least bit surprising they would manufacture yet another reason why those digital purchases wont continue to work?

We have the industry we deserve because it is the industry we have allowed to exist.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Hey Jim, all humour aside, did the parody of the announcement of the PS4 sum up pretty much all thoughts of the event?

In case you haven't seen it:

Ok that was good!

And I agree pretty much with Jim here, where the hell are the new IPs and new ideas? I don't want another killzone shoot shoot press button to open door explosion fest, give me a open world game where you play as someone that can manipulate two enemy armies to complete your missions for you or something!

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
when the COD franchise stops breaking sales records year after year, I think the games industry can manage a new golden age for gaming.

To have 2007 all over again ^^

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
Threats of physical violence is where a persons ability to be reasonable has flown out the window and from the sounds of it he was not trying to begin with
I'm very disappointed with the ps4 and am really hesitant when thinking about getting one
No backwards compatibility and having to be always online is what is killing it for me

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Of course people are going to get angry when you insult their magic game box, because they put some sort of personal investment mentally. It's the same as the apple users who when taking photos or have art made of them they make the effort to get that stupid apple logo on their laptop shown to make sure that people know he's an apple user and not some PC scrub.

People get emotionally attached to the piles of plastic and soldered metal that puts out graphics for some reason, personally I just get angry when the device stops working and I have to decide on bothering with another.

PS4's showing was unimpressive because like the PS3s showing it can all change instantly and graphics get pulled back looking drastically less impressive (though impressive still). Not a lot seem to remember but the PS3 was supposed to do a lot more visually and in the end it doesn't even display every game in 720p, it has to upscale some games to be that.