Jimquisition: New Generation, Old Bullsh*t

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
For once I would like for someone to point out that developers can make games at 1080P@60FPS. They could do that on PS3 and XBOX360. They choose not to. And the reason is that game will look much more impressive with more stuff on screen at lower resolution. It's not that they can't make it, it's that visually it looks better at lower resolution with more effects, more precise rendering etc.

Wolcik

Jul 18, 2009
I joined Twitter and saw the hype for this one, and I have to admit I wanted to see this, and I'm pleased with this video - it's more than whenever PS4 sucks or not.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Eh I understand the backwards compatibilty thing but should we really blame the ps4 for developer's being just plain lazy and afraid to try new things. We can't hold back technology because some don't know how to use it or don't want to make new things on it

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
For some reason I feel like Microsoft are using this announcement of the PS4 to their advantage. They see what Sony did wrong and then will strike back with something that may just blow us away. I don't know how but we have yet to really see.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
In response to the summary of this video: YES!!! A THOUSAND TIMES YES!!!

I swear, between mediocre releases, the homogenization of all gaming genres, unfriendly DLC practices, and the state of games journalism, I am amazed I still game as much as I do.

Then again, as much as I tout being a hardcore gamer, I may be relegated to "casual" status considering time spent playing nowadays. I only play a couple of "high profile hits" a year, and spend the rest of the time with redux/classic gaming.

Still, here's hoping the industry pulls its head out of its butt and actually starts developing with more intelligence.

Cripes, I sound naive, but there hasn't been a deluge of decent RPG's since PS2...

EDIT: new IP's shouldn't have to be blockbusters to turn a profit; it's just that marketing is so bloated, you end up having situations where games "can't fail" if they want to get the green light. EG: Dead Space 3 needing to sell more units than its predecessors combined to "break even." And even if we follow this theory, which I don't ascribe to, aren't the CoD's supposed to support the "Art" games?

Jan 22, 2011
el_kabong said:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 said:
purifico said:
WHAT?! Do you truly mean to say that I won't be able to play the PSN games I've already bought on PS4? I can understand it not being able to play physical copies, but digital as well? WHAT THE FUCK, SONY?! Have some fucking respect for you loyal customers, you fucking assholes.
Sony being loyal to it's customers??? Pftt are you kidding me still I'll give this console a chance in a couple of years when the work the problems.

Crono1973 said:
I am curious why people think PSN games should work on the PS4 but not physical games, they both use the cell.
It's not the cell that would be the main problem it's the root key/encryption key that is being completely changed. If i recall there was certain leak a few years back that opened the ps3 up for homebrew/modding and ability to play back-ups. Sony could not change this in the ps3 or psp/vita because it would render all previous software useless much like they are doing with the ps4.
I seem to remember them saying in the conference or in the after-interviews that there are legitimate coding reasons that makes it impossible to just drag and drop PS3 games into the PS4, which couldn't come without building in an emulator (which would increase development costs) or changing the original code structure (which will take time). As far as the information I've seen, unless the game devs made the effort to re-code to the new console, the games formerly on the PSN would be unavailable on the PS4. I don't think it's worth getting upset for until they start selling the same thing we've already purchased. If that game isn't for sale at all through this medium, it's an unfortunate miss for library transfer, but not something that's inherently greedy/short-sighted.

OT: I don't get the hate that comes across for the PS4. While people's concerns or expectations can always be discussed, the pure amount of "WORST EVAR" discussions are shameful to the gaming community and shows exactly why developers do what they do. In Jim's video, he talks about how it's more of the same from the game's industry (pre-hype, announcement announcements, etc.) However, these practices aren't around because company's love spending time/energy/resources to give you vague information.

The fact is that teaser trailers, pre-release hype, and the early dispersal of information are eaten up by the consumer. These marketing tactics are employed across the corporate landscape. Why? The internet. The biggest hurdle businesses face is getting their name out there. How can a consumer shop at your store or pay for your products when they don't know you exist? Even when speaking about a console in a negative light, you serve to spread awareness of the PS4's existence and features. By not revealing details in full, Sony has ensured that the internet machine will be abuzz with discussion on its device. People's overwhelming desire to speculate, quantify, and share their opinions is doing all their marketing for them at very little cost.

This internet machine not only helps to build awareness, but also serves to push product. Generally speaking in regards to how our psyches work, the more people are exposed to something, the more favorably they will perceive it. In psychology, this is known as the mere-exposure effect. This is not without it's potential downfalls for a company, as they do run the risk of over-exposure. But, despite the fact that we're all talking about it, Sony doesn't seem to be PUSHING marketing on me (at least not yet, in comparison to movie companies). I watched the conference because I was interested, not because they took out ad-space prior to my favorite video series to berate me about the PS4.

Also, providing an extremely antagonizing opinion allows an avenue for the people who viewed the product as moderate or favorable to dissent to your opinion. At the end of the day, polarization can be a solid business move. 10 consumers who are completely committed to your brand (fan boys, as the gaming community would call them) are arguably more valuable than 20 people who aren't. Look at Apple. You can't tell me that they don't survive/thrive with their fan-boys. My roommate will literally buy whatever gadget comes out with Apple's logo on it (whether or not he needs it or if there are better devices out there). It's not limited to physical product, either. Fox News is another example. They've polarized their audience against any other sources of information, thus holding a monopoly on a core audience's ad revenue power.

Do you demand that companies start giving you more information that's concrete over what we get now? Stop being that kind of consumer. Stop letting it work for them. Nobody's forcing you to watch the conference. Nobody's forcing you to post the 900th message to the forums on the subject. Most importantly, nobody's forcing you to buy the thing. Why do you hate something that, unless you decide to buy it, has absolutely NO IMPACT on your life? When you do these things as a consumer, you only serve to feed the beast.

/micdrop
Well that could be the reason as well but I really do think the fully leak of the zero encryption key and root key is one of reasons why Sony is changing their format. I do agree the platform needs easier access to make games for "this is what killed the Saturn outside of japan after all", however you still would think they would invest in some kind of emulator to play older games. Speaking of which whatever happened to the ps2 emulator that Sony patented back in 09 for all ps3 systems?

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/06/29/sony-patents-emotion-engine-emulation-technology-for-cell-processors/

Anoni Mus said:
When they inovate and make some good games, they don't sell. Look at Mirror's Edge.

Though I think you're late, last generation was already stagnating, they had new IP's but not new ideas. Except Portal, Portal rocks.
The gaming industry is becoming like most other media outlets now. They don't want to take to many risk and only pander to the majority that helps make them profit. Why do you think we get so many squeals, spin-off's or reboots instead of new ip's?? It's a huge risk to push a new IP in this day and age when you can guarantee that a final fantasy or call of duty game will sell at least million copies.

carnex

Jan 9, 2008
That emulator is used but it's really buggy. I tried to play some games and some worked, some didn't and some worked with issues. My best bug was teleport in Black . You and enemies would, on some levels, randomly teleport for some 10 meters in random direcion. Makes game so unpredictable :D

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Kumagawa Misogi said:
purifico said:
WHAT?! Do you truly mean to say that I won't be able to play the PSN games I've already bought on PS4? I can understand it not being able to play physical copies, but digital as well? WHAT THE FUCK, SONY?! Have some fucking respect for you loyal customers, you fucking assholes.

The PS3 PSN games are coded to run on PS3 hardware not PS4 so the only way to get PS3 games to run on the PS4 is to port everygame first! there is no other way apart from streaming like how onlive works.
Now, maybe you'd want to do some research first - a software virtualization layer or a compatibility layer is exactly what you're saying is impossible to do. Furthermore, it can't be impossible to begin with, since the PS4 can already stream older titles and if you think they've set up a rows and rows of Playstations to do that, you're mistaken - they must use some sort of virtualization to provide the service. They've got a big beefy machine that runs games as separate instances and sends out the data over the Internet.

Kumagawa Misogi said:
It's the exact same thing Apple did when the mac's went from POWER (Cell is a POWER based CPU) to x86 and they told there customers if they wanted new software they needed a nex $1000+ Mac.
That's Apple being Apple, though. Also, if I recall correctly they already have a virtualization layer built into OS X (maybe newer versions after they've moved on x86) that handles older applications.

l3o2828 said:
Wait, am i reading this wrong or on the video it says GARME JOURNALIZM isnstead of GAME?
It alyas said GARME. Dunno, why, though - I figured it was some reference or joke I wasn't into (maybe something Destructoid related?) but didn't really go out of my way to look into it. If you figure something out or if anybody else has an idea, can you share?

TheSteeleStrap

May 7, 2008
What has to happen to stop the madness? Does the industry have to crash again?

There's a topic I'd like to see addressed: This whole "pre-order this game to get this feature" thing, and then you get it if you buy the game new anyway. Saw this with Rage, Spec Ops, Black Ops 2, Crysis 3...

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Someone actually threatened you over David Cage comments?

Damn I thought even Cage fans realized that he was just full of crazy bullshit, that's why a lot of people like his work even, certainly why I do.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
To be fair I think he meant getting over the uncanny valley I regards to graphics

Grunt_Man11

Mar 15, 2011
Yeah... no. I saw a Sony that was learning from their previous screw ups.

You thought you had something profound to say, but all I heard was a load of pretentious paranoia.
Jim, I am disappointed. Escapist, I am disappointed.

Thank god... for TotalBiscuit.

Someone who is actually level headed, and doesn't take his anger over Aliens: Colonial Marines out on everything else.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
No backwards compatibility with PS3 games? Fuck you, Sony. Why do have to be this way? I guess that's slightly better than them deciding to be pricks and taking it out halfway, which then leads to about ten different models of the same fucking system, confusing customers as to which has the ability to play PS2 games. That's not such a huge deal, I just don't understand WHY the new systems can't play old games.

Also, I'm tired of social media bullshit being forced on me when I'm playing a game. It's bad enough that when I log in to play Metal Gear Rising, I get about seven requests to play Halo; I don't need people asking me to take over their avatar to get them past certain spots or whatever. All of the things you can do are impressive, I just don't care.

In fact, demanding that I play online, always connected all the time, is actually like asking me to be anti-social. I like to play games with my friends in the same room. Not from my house to theirs. I just... I miss the days when you would go out and purchase a new game no one else has, take that game to a friend's house, and then invite more people over so you could all stay up all night having fun.

But Sony doesn't want that anymore, nor for that matter does any other publisher. This industry would rather us all be physically isolated, because how else are they supposed to sell extra copies? Those friends I mentioned should have copies of their own if they want to play it (pre-ordered months/years in advanced, of course), then they need to input an online pass for it to work online, and they better not have traded in games to get it, because fuck you, video games are a luxury and if they're too expensive for you to get without contributing to the used game market, well then you need to just not buy it. You aren't the kind of customer they want.

I'm just so tired of an industry that demands all of those things from it's customers and then still shits on them. I'm even more tired of those very customers (whose ears are getting pissed into without the industry even having the decency to try and convince them that it's raining) defending and supporting what goes on, because fuck you, companies exist to make money.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
Sheo_Dagana said:
No backwards compatibility with PS3 games? Fuck you, Sony. Why do have to be this way? I guess that's slightly better than them deciding to be pricks and taking it out halfway, which then leads to about ten different models of the same fucking system, confusing customers as to which has the ability to play PS2 games. That's not such a huge deal, I just don't understand WHY the new systems can't play old games.
It's because the new PS4 has a different type of CPU than the PS3. That means that coding games is very different so games need to be translated somehow to work.

They have 3 options.

1) Hardware emulation, where they put a PS3 processor in the PS4 which will probably make the PS4 significantly more expensive.

2) Software emulation, where they make an emulator program and then work to make games compatible, which will probably give huge developer costs and result in buggy or no emulation for games that weren't that popular. I'm not even sure the ps4 can do ps3 software emulation at all.

3) no emulation, and save themselves money so they can get a profit on the PS4 sooner.

Sony isn't exactly in the best spot right now financially and the backwards compatibility was a huge reason why early PS3's were so expensive and didn't sell that well (along with using an unconventional processor that no developer wanted to code for). I can see why they'd be more careful with their money.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
I've said this before elsewhere, but I can't jump on the backwards compatibility wagon with everyone else. The problem with trying to make backwards compatibility possible with the PS3 is that the only feasible option would be to include a hardware solution. That did not work well at all with the PS3 launch since it jacked up the cost of the ps3 to well over the budget of most ps2 owners, and it would be the same issue with the ps4. If they tried going the software route, the games would run way too slow to be enjoyable unless it's ps2 or older, in which case just putting PCSX2 on the console would suffice.

As for this episode of the Jimquisition, I think he is pretty spot on with the state of the gaming industry. I looked back at the previous launch titles and the ones coming out with the PS4 are as generic as can be. The console itself is actually a pretty good piece of hardware and I'm glad they are moving away from IBM's cell architecture. That being said, this is largely meaningless to most consumers since the average person is mostly concerned if the console runs and has games worth playing: The point Jim was making in his video.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
tehwalrus said:
Assuming the Xbox 3 announcement event ends up like the PS4 one, I feel like these anti-consumer policies are forcing me onto the PC platform. I don't want a media box, I don't want social integration, I don't want kinect or move or waggle remotes - I want to play games without a hastle, and between the beginning of last generation and now there's been a complete 180 on which platforms make you go through a hassle.
So much this. My Girlfriend will so kill me because we so don't have any space in our one bedroom apartment for a gaming PC.. but like fuck facebook on my console.

Xbox live are really me off with their bullshit and I was seriously thinking to switch over to Sony this generation but now?

I really don't know....

I'm not a Valve junkie but..Steambox?