Jimquisition: New Generation, Old Bullsh*t

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
I don't think Sony is the one to blame for the lack of a fresh approach, as Jim put it. Sony is first and foremost a hardware manufacturer, so naturally you will see an emphasis on hardware in their own event. What did you expect, a launch lineup composed entirely of new IP's? As romantic as that sounds, it's a scenario that probably belongs in a parallel universe.

Don't give up hope. New ideas will come, and new IP's will be developed, as they always have. Their "birth" is just usually a bit... temperamental. It requires a certain amount of faith (or madness if you prefer) on behalf of publishers to greenlight something new and targetted at a "core" demographic, while fully backing it up. It's rare, but it still happens. The most recent example of that would be Dishonored, a game that can surely be considered a niche title, compared to what sells these days, backed up by a shit ton of marketing. They gambled, and from what I know, it paid off. There's more where that came from, as long as we, the consumers, continue to support new games that are actually good.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
Well Jim, if that guy does come 'round to "fuck you up" make sure you lift his drivers license and then you can post up his address. We'll get a small group together, say 100 or so and picket his house for a week.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
It's true. All of it. They shouldn't go into a new generation without something actually new on offer. I just think they felt they needed to do this prior to E3 since MS is planning a big E3 reveal. It was just not a good show. They talked about features that a lot of people don't care about. I'll say this though, the social features are probably not for us. ENB (Epic Name Bro) did a youtube video about the features. As it turns out, social features that show actualy people with actual names is pretty damn new to Japan. It was a cultural taboo for a while. He thinks the social features are aimed towards the Japanese audience, who are behind on social networking, so to speak. Interesting stuff.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Anoni Mus said:
When they inovate and make some good games, they don't sell. Look at Mirror's Edge.
2 million copies isn't "selling"?

If that's the case, maybe the games industry should invest in technology to reduce development costs instead of increasing game appeal.

Madman123456

Feb 11, 2011
Is it just me or do i notice Jim becoming more and more cynical about this Stuff? Its just like his Love for this Medium has been ckoked to death by the cold hands, nay, tentacles of the industry.

He's right of course, the Industry is on its way to a new Crash and i'm at a point where i'd welcome it.

As of now, i can honestly the entire Industry is at fault; Certain Companies pushing me into a direction where i suspect some attempt to wring more money out of me behind every new Idea (and being right most of the time) and then there are the few nice People who honestly want to sell me their work which they did with love for the medium.
To those (both of you!) i say: Leave the Industry, come back later when at least some of those Companies that would twist any new Idea of yours into a new money grabbing scheme have died.
As of now, any love brought into the medium will merely prolong the existence of those who would steal it and twist it.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Little Gray said:
DVS BSTrD said:
This ain't a new generation, justa facelift.
So just like every other generation.
I'd say it's more just like the current generation. I just finished watching the video, and my impression was while the big guys have found a whole lot of new types of bullshit to dump on us, what Jim's saying here is pretty much the exact impression I got going into the PS3/360 generation. Same basic games, better graphics. And this was not the case with previous generation jumps. From 8-bit to 16-bit to CD to DVD, each time a new console came out new types of games and genres came with it (a new controller as well for that matter).

My basic guidelines for to measure a new generation of games on is "could you have made this next gen game for a last gen console with lesser graphics". Because of this I was never impressed with the PS3/360, and it looks like things aren't going to be much better for the PS4/whatever.

One more thing to illustrate this, just look at The Elder Scroll series. Look at the jump we got from Daggerfall to Morrowind. Then look at the complete sidestep from Morrowind to Oblivion. With mods you can now bring the PC version of Morrowind's graphics up to par with Oblivion, and you have something that may as well have been made on the same console.

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
Man Jim is getting cynical lately...seems like a bit of his Aliens angst is seeping through.

Although...despite the fact I dont really care about consoles or this new generation, the introduction of new features into the PS4 like the social aspects do interest me. Seeing those appear will be fun to watch, since if they do become actually popular, they may be included in Steam which I do use.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
I'll just say that, if Sony wanted to sell me on a PS4, they did a very bad job.

Then again, the lack OF a PS4 at a PS4 reveal didn't help matters any.

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
DTWolfwood said:
when the COD franchise stops breaking sales records year after year, I think the games industry can manage a new golden age for gaming.

To have 2007 all over again ^^
Who keeps buying them? I remember the original Modern Warfare being good, a mate of mine was playing it constantly around 2008. However after that, it all got a bit samey. Just what kinds of people do these games cater to and why are there so many of them?

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
With regards to consoles, I've just never cared for:-
a) the initial price - considering what they are and what they can do
b) the very limited amount of games available to each particular platform. Though I understand the motives behind the licensing system form a marketing viewpoint, it still comes across as pretty obnoxious. Case in point, 'Journey'. Having that as a PS3 exclusive when it could have sold better on PC just infuriates.
c) the rigidity and inflexibility of the technology. This ties in with point b), but is expanded when you consider 'backwards compatibility'. Someone earlier brilliantly pointed out the kind of firestorm that would erupt in the PC world were Steam to inflict similar restrictions and limitations. A PC (or laptop) is a PC is a PC. I'm using an HP now, but I used to have an Acer. The only thing that limits you is internal specs.
I understand perfectly well that consoles are designed for games and games alone. Thus, in theory, they will be effective and efficient in a way that PC's can't hope to emulate. Yet, this advantage, time and time again has been thrown away by bad marketing, sloppy design, and just a little too much hubris.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
purifico said:
WHAT?! Do you truly mean to say that I won't be able to play the PSN games I've already bought on PS4? I can understand it not being able to play physical copies, but digital as well? WHAT THE FUCK, SONY?! Have some fucking respect for you loyal customers, you fucking assholes.
Apologies but im going to call this rote bullshit right now.

Lets start with a little lessons in what kinds of processor we've used.
PS1 mbit
PS2 mbit
PS3 POWER
PS4 X86

Now what can you see?

Correct! the PS1 and PS2 use the same processor architecture allowing for backward compatibility. The PS3 (60gb release model) had a PS2 mbit chip installed to allow backward compatibility through hardware emulation and well... look how much that cost.

Next. Do games on disks and downloaded games get programmed differently?
Thought so. They do not. Ergo the PS4 cannot run PS3 games from the PSN without either software or hardware emulation. Software emulation is glitchy at best and im not sure an X86 could even emulate a POWER processor as one is Lttle Endian and one is Big Endian. So the PS4 needs a POWER architecture processor like CELL to be able to run ANYTHING from the PS3.

Well unless they reprogram everything made for the PS3 to be compatible with the new architecture.

I'm flabbergasted by how dumb people can be I really am. For example, Jim why the flying dickbats would you say 'Oh disk backward compatibility I understand but locking people out of downloadable games is wrong' When you obviously lack any basic understanding of computer hardware and programming.

I'l spell it out for you if that'l help.

PEOPLE DON'T PROGRAM DIGITAL DOWNLOADS AND DISK GAMES SEPARATELY THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THE METHOD OF STORAGE!

Ive been a fan of your show through every episode until now but please don't talk about hardware again because it makes me want to cut open my chest and eat my insides with a lump of granite.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
TheLastFeeder said:
Get me a version of Greenlight for the PS4 and I just might get one, It's the stagnation of AAA games that is mostly turning me off the gen consoles.
instead you can play many titles such as "indie retro throwback" or "indie artsy wankfest"

Lex Darko

Aug 13, 2006
I am interested in the PS4 console but I agree with Jim on this one. Everything in the announcement meant to build hype felt shallow, empty, and meaningless. I would've been more impressed if Sony showed the PS4 playing a PS3 game than showing off eye candy that discerning gamers are quickly becoming distrustful of.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
As a note Jim. Attacking people you disagree with as "Mental Subnormals" is a vile and fallacious argument which undermines your entire episode in the eyes of ANYONE with any knowledge of rhetoric, logic and argumentation.

But since as I pointed out above you know nothing about how hardware works and yet still make dumb statements about backward compatibility I think you will probably ignore me and sink further into the mire of dumb bile that Colonial Marines seems to have dragged you into.

Although I agree with you on the subject of David Cage and the guy who threatened you was a dullard and a fool.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
The most shocking part of that whole video? That someone out there isn't aware how full of shit David Cage is, and defended him. Fahrenheit was an alright game, Heavy Rain was overhyped shit, and Beyond: Two Souls looks to be relying heavily on the involvement of Ellen Page. You may not agree with me on these, but one thing remains constant: David Cage is a lying windbag.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Jennacide said:
The most shocking part of that whole video? That someone out there isn't aware how full of shit David Cage is, and defended him. Fahrenheit was an alright game, Heavy Rain was overhyped shit, and Beyond: Two Souls looks to be relying heavily on the involvement of Ellen Page. You may not agree with me on these, but one thing remains constant: David Cage is a lying windbag.
I'm sure the guy genuinely wants to make great narrative games, but wanting it and doing it are unfortunately two very different things. And some game developers, like David Cage, need to stop confusing what's in their head to what's actually on screen.