Jimquisition: New Generation, Old Bullsh*t

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Hey Jim, all humour aside, did the parody of the announcement of the PS4 sum up pretty much all thoughts of the event?

In case you haven't seen it:

I'm crying with laughter.

I was actually quite excited by the announcement, I mean, why the hell are people pissed off?

Sony is trying to sell a product, how dare they?, the fucking nerve.

bimon_1234567

Mar 15, 2012
Oh boy, am I glad to be part of the master race.

But man, that David Cage guy sure knows what's what.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/l531ei
(From the twitter desk of Mr. James Sterling, Esq.)

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Well, not all has to ber thrown out and changed. there is space for new ips as well as old ones. the new oens will come whne its time is here. the most important thing is that the architecture to develop for sony is finally a workable one and as such we will see much more risky games becuase they will need to throw less money to make the same. not to mention not needing to work around horrendeous ram limitations of PS3.

If anything PS4 proves that consoles wont be obsolete yet.

you know those graphics aliens fiaeld to deliver? cause the consoles couldnt run it. now it can, so if they were developing for PS4 instead, they wouldnt have neeeded to lie. so there.

lack of backward compactability is a no brainer. have a shitty structure or no compactability? of course no compactability for sihtty structure based games(not shitty games, just developed for crap hardware).

Digital content i agree with you.

and yep, the gaming community is who allows this to happen. and we will continue to, because the average gamer doesnt care.

The Ubermensch

Mar 6, 2012
I'll fuck you up jim

Sorry, couldn't resist. I would do you though; you can even be top.

I really think it's amazing how far everyone is coming to the same epiphany that I had many years ago but... I mean you're all aware that dirty business etcetera is a problem endemic in current western culture and not just the gaming industry... right?

Let me hunt out my cyber punk copypasta

I can't help but laugh a little bit when I hear people talking about how cyberpunk died in the 90s.

Nearly every large metropolis now has its own second life of location-based game layers; whole buildings are wrapped in screens. There are ads for video games on video billboards, and ads on billboards inside of video games ? sometimes even ads for other video games.Virtual Graffiti is overlaid on the environment by portable computers. Anarchists and revolutionaries organize via encrypted virtual networks, And, really, anyone with the know-how can buy designer drugs or refined plutonium on secret websites using an experimental decentralized online currency.

Teenagers with smart phones wander the streets, wearing on them computers rivalling the most powerful consumer models from a decade ago. These youths wander around, compromising networks discretely from their phones, wreaking havoc and making a killing for themselves scanning other people's RFID Embedded credit cards and dumping the funds through multiple online bank accounts, while corporate executives plan the overthrow of state governments, with fascism creeping into politics and unmanned robots hovering in the skies. The hobos wander the rail tracks with backpacks full of movies and a laptop. New Eyeglasses allow seamless integration of life with the network and cyberspace

Police have come to fear the technology of protestors they suppress. Three letter government agencies plot increasingly intricate ways to monitor the population, from unmanned drones to city-wide CCTV installation to the questionably legal hacking of private CCTV networks and the use of facial recognition databanks to track people everywhere they go in the physical world while projects like Trapwire monitor everything they do online. New Brain-machine interfaces allow sensitive information like bank account and PIN numbers to be extracted form a person's brain involuntarily.

In the midst of the surveillance state, society begins to stagnate and the gap between the economic and political elites and the city-dwelling lower class widens into a gaping chasm. Hackers and whistleblowers risk life and limb to expose the activities of the surveillance state and expose the dangers of the powerful multinational corporations, travelling from hovel to hovel with backpacks full of high tech equipment just one step ahead of the authorities they oppose.

Once straight-edge white-collar tech workers go rogue, moonlighting as vigilantes of the information age, breaking into secure stores of information to free knowledge and give it to the public, facing the kind of persecution and threats which can drive men to choose death over the suffering.

Urban decay sets in over the cities of the west while in the east vast towering metropolises of Neon, LEDs and lasers fill the night sky with an arcade-scheme of lights and flashing images while on a cloudy night over New york city, the light pollution from skyscrapers that make mockery of the tower of Babel turn the sky the color of an old television set tuned to a dead channel.

Cyberpunk didn't die, it became reality. And now we all live in a bizarre warpath between an Orwellian and Huxleian dystopic future society where corporations are willing to kill thousands of brown people to sell YOU some Coca Cola?. That's what a monoculture is. It's everywhere, and it's all the same. And it takes up alien cultures and digests them and shits them out in a homogeneous building-block shape that fits seamlessly into the vast blank wall of the monoculture. This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it any time, by not fucking paying for it. So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger.

As for me, PC master race. Playing crazy japanese VNs

Hearts and kisses Jim.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
Thanks for that recap. I mean, it hits most of the griping points I have.

But at the same time, can we as gamers ***** about the lack of new "IP" (one of the most misused words this generation) when we reward this line of thinking by investing nothing into such new concepts and designs and instead buying the latest sequels sight unseen?
Just to add onto this point, people cry about the lack of new IP's but then go forth and demand backwards compatability.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
With all due respect, and you do have your reasons Jim, but graphics are essential to a new generation, simply because it's evident representation of a console's power, a great PC can run games with great graphics without damaging the entertainment per se, same goes for consoles. But I do agree that the graphics shown were either very much alike what we already have or pretty untrustworthy, I just can't believe that Capcom game is gameplay graphics, it might be NOW, while it's running incomplete, but will it remain the same when the whole game goes for the PS4? I feel strange about it because the very gameplay seemed too much like a video and not really a game.

I'm looking forward to Metal Gear Solid 5 (if that's the name it gets) and Watch Dogs. But I wanna see what MS brings to the table first. Xbox 360 had the original Mass Effect as an exclusive, and Bioshock was exclusive as well for almost an year, I'm not the waiting type, those were the games that earned my MS loyalty in the last gen (later on I bought a PS3 to play the rest of the exclusives), thus, like someone else said, "the line up makes the console".

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
bug_of_war said:
Zachary Amaranth said:

But at the same time, can we as gamers ***** about the lack of new "IP" (one of the most misused words this generation) when we reward this line of thinking by investing nothing into such new concepts and designs and instead buying the latest sequels sight unseen?
Just to add onto this point, people cry about the lack of new IP's but then go forth and demand backwards compatability.
True. Some games I just wish are left the way they are, with remakes from time to time just to keep them looking and playing good. One of those games should be Bioshock, nobody needed Bioshock 2, I enjoyed it, but the first one was simply amazing. But hey, on the other hand, I can't wait for a new saga based on the Mass Effect universe or a new Fallout game.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
bug_of_war said:
Zachary Amaranth said:

Two separate arguments, there, champ. It's like me buying a new house but being told I can't move in any of my old stuff because this one is already furnished.

OT:The thing that tires me out most about this new console unveiling is that no one really seems to be talking about games, anymore. It's all about how powerful the tech is and what we could --conceivably-- do with it, or about the new features that have been built in to connect with social media; all of that should come after we're shown all the great new games we'll be playing, not a couple of tech demos and a predictable parade of four or five of the same old stalking horses.

Someone said earlier in the thread that, as part of the older gamer generation, it's hard to generate the same kind of excitement when you've seen so many new consoles come and go already, and I think there's definitely truth in that, but I think there's also an element of I've seen developers spin this kind of bullshit enough times now to know when I'm being sold a pack of half-truths and promises they'll never, ever come through on.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:

bug_of_war said:
Milanezi said:
True. Some games I just wish are left the way they are, with remakes from time to time just to keep them looking and playing good. One of those games should be Bioshock, nobody needed Bioshock 2, I enjoyed it, but the first one was simply amazing. But hey, on the other hand, I can't wait for a new saga based on the Mass Effect universe or a new Fallout game.
Can't say I speak for Zach, but I can tell you that I am not opposed towards sequels to good games. I am also looking forward to the next installment in the Mass Effect series, but at the same time I feel some games just need to not be made. For example, Assassins Creed: Revelations in my opinion was not needed and actually stagnated the series more than progressed it or made an actual change in the games. This is the type of sequel encouragement that I think should be stopped, the "Oh lets make one a year after the previous game and add in some extras". But yeah, I have no problem with a franchise carrying over to the next console, hell Pokemon does it without much pain so why shouldn't other series do so.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
rob_simple said:
Two separate arguments, there, champ. It's like me buying a new house but being told I can't move in any of my old stuff because this one is already furnished.
I see your point, but I disagree, at least in the sense of non backwards compatability with discs (digital buys from the PSN should carry over immedietly). but they haven't and may take longer to come if at all. We shouldn't be angry at this though, sometimes we gotta move on, and video games aren't as big an investment as a new house and furniture. Looking at the film and music situation, as in the conversion from VHS-DVD-BluRay and Vinyl-Cassette-CD, I'd say that video games are just following the trend of digital art. Sure you can still get most songs and films easier than games, but that is not a bad thing, just look at Nintendo and how people are begining to groan because "Hey guys we've just started development on New NEW Super Mario Land 1 month after NEW Super Mario Land". It's fine to want to play old games, I think everybody should be able to pick up an old classic, and you can mostly still do that by holding onto your old harware. A friend of mine just recently bought himself a PS3 and 20 games for under 400 dollars, some of these games were as old as the console itself, but he still got the games and they worked.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
Milanezi said:
Can't say I speak for Zach, but I can tell you that I am not opposed towards sequels to good games. I am also looking forward to the next installment in the Mass Effect series, but at the same time I feel some games just need to not be made. For example, Assassins Creed: Revelations in my opinion was not needed and actually stagnated the series more than progressed it or made an actual change in the games. This is the type of sequel encouragement that I think should be stopped, the "Oh lets make one a year after the previous game and add in some extras". But yeah, I have no problem with a franchise carrying over to the next console, hell Pokemon does it without much pain so why shouldn't other series do so.[/quote]

I don't like Pokémon, but that's a hell of an example! I would point out in the same category, Gran Theft Auto, we don't get those games EVERY year, but every time they come they BLOW OUR MINDS, we replay them for the sheer fun. that's when it hits me at times "out of my 150+ library of games, less than 20 are really worth it, as in, those are the few ones I really need" Sometimes I look at my games and you know what? If the only games I had (from this gen) were The Witcher, Mass Effect (the trilogy), the first Bioshock, GTA IV, Lost Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid 4, Batman (both Arkham), and maybe, MAYBE InFamous Uncharted, Gears of War and God of War I wouldn't really need any other game. Now you might say "hey, but you said a lot of games", but those games are just a FEW compared to how many are released (AAA) per year, let alone during the whole GENERATION. I'm promising myself, starting right now with what remains of this gen, I'm only buying the stuff that seems immortal to me, from the new IP's to be released, it means, I'm getting Remember Me, from the old IPs, GTA V, MG Rising, Bioshock infinite and... Maybe that's all.

I'm stuck with AC 3 (which I love by the way, though indeed, they should not release another AC like "AC 3 The Mohawk Revelation" or some other bs, just to keep remebring fans every year, their stuff is great, don't spoil by bringing it every damn year, Revelations was great, but I almost abandoned it cause I couldn't get anymore of Ezio), FarCry 3 and DMC (that was a lousy bet) all great games, problem is I didn't hold myself, and bought Max Payne 3, Ninja Gaiden 3, hell i don't even remember the other stuff, it sucks, because I don't even feel like playing all of them, right now, i wanna finish FC 3, AC 3, and the damn Borderlands 2 which is going on a snail's pace. Wasted money and not enough time is what I say to the rest as far as my taste goes... Though I think i DID make a smart move with max payne, I feel I'll love it when i get to it

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
bug_of_war said:
Milanezi said:
Can't say I speak for Zach, but I can tell you that I am not opposed towards sequels to good games. I am also looking forward to the next installment in the Mass Effect series, but at the same time I feel some games just need to not be made. For example, Assassins Creed: Revelations in my opinion was not needed and actually stagnated the series more than progressed it or made an actual change in the games. This is the type of sequel encouragement that I think should be stopped, the "Oh lets make one a year after the previous game and add in some extras". But yeah, I have no problem with a franchise carrying over to the next console, hell Pokemon does it without much pain so why shouldn't other series do so.
I don't like Pokémon, but that's a hell of an example! I would point out in the same category, Gran Theft Auto, we don't get those games EVERY year, but every time they come they BLOW OUR MINDS, we replay them for the sheer fun. that's when it hits me at times "out of my 150+ library of games, less than 20 are really worth it, as in, those are the few ones I really need" Sometimes I look at my games and you know what? If the only games I had (from this gen) were The Witcher, Mass Effect (the trilogy), the first Bioshock, GTA IV, Lost Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid 4, Batman (both Arkham), and maybe, MAYBE InFamous Uncharted, Gears of War and God of War I wouldn't really need any other game. Now you might say "hey, but you said a lot of games", but those games are just a FEW compared to how many are released (AAA) per year, let alone during the whole GENERATION. I'm promising myself, starting right now with what remains of this gen, I'm only buying the stuff that seems immortal to me, from the new IP's to be released, it means, I'm getting Remember Me, from the old IPs, GTA V, MG Rising, Bioshock infinite and... Maybe that's all.

I'm stuck with AC 3 (which I love by the way, though indeed, they should not release another AC like "AC 3 The Mohawk Revelation" or some other bs, just to keep remebring fans every year, their stuff is great, don't spoil by bringing it every damn year, Revelations was great, but I almost abandoned it cause I couldn't get anymore of Ezio), FarCry 3 and DMC (that was a lousy bet) all great games, problem is I didn't hold myself, and bought Max Payne 3, Ninja Gaiden 3, hell i don't even remember the other stuff, it sucks, because I don't even feel like playing all of them, right now, i wanna finish FC 3, AC 3, and the damn Borderlands 2 which is going on a snail's pace. Wasted money and not enough time is what I say to the rest as far as my taste goes... Though I think i DID make a smart move with max payne, I feel I'll love it when i get to it

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
So, I want to read something here really quickly. Bear with me.

There were several reasons for the crash, but the main cause was supersaturation of the market with hundreds of mostly low-quality games which resulted in the loss of consumer confidence. The full effects of the industry crash would not be felt until 1985...

A core cause of the crash was two high-profile titles for the Atari 2600 that were failures. In 1982, Atari attempted to take advantage of the craze following the arcade game Pac-Man by releasing a version for the Atari 2600. However, development was rushed so as to have the game out in time for the 1982 Christmas season. Although the game managed to sell well in terms of absolute numbers, Atari had grossly overestimated the number of sales it would generate. Critics and gamers universally panned the game as being nothing like the lively, colorful original. In the end, Atari only sold a little over half the number of cartridges it produced. Production cost overruns combined with the costs incurred with a big marketing campaign for the game resulted in huge losses for Atari.

Atari also issued its widely advertised E.T. game. Once again, it manufactured millions of units in anticipation of a major hit. Concerned about making the Christmas season, Atari again rushed the game to market quickly, after a mere six weeks of development time. The end result is widely considered to be one of the worst video games ever. To clear their inventory, Atari eventually ended up burying the unsold copies in a landfill in New Mexico. Combined with the high costs for the movie license, E.T. became another financial failure for Atari. Atari was sold two years later as the crash impacted upon the industry.
This was from the Wikipedia entry on the North American Video Game Crash of 1983. You know, the one that made us forget Atari existed.

There were a couple other factors in play, such as console saturation, but an overall decline of quality, diminishing quality of games, and lack of faith in publishers seems to be eerily similar to the state of the industry today.

Jim's not kidding when he says that this very well could be the last generation. I mean, it already happened.

Fortunately, even if PSN and XBL go down, I'm sure that my copy of Fallout 3 on my 360 and the Touhou and Surgeon Simulator 2013 games I have on my computer will still work, so I'm fully prepared to see the servers go down.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
Milanezi said:
I agree, I frequently find myself trading in games at EB every 6 months or so, and I too only really hold onto the games that I feel I can always jump back into whenever I want. Good example of this is the fact that I still own Skate 3, Mirrors Edge, Resident Evil 5, Resident Evil 4, etc etc. I disagree in the idea of not buying a game unless you're going to play it forever though. If I see a game that looks interesting I will generally consider buying it regardless of it's longevity. I really enjoyed Resident Evil 6 believe it or not, and while I am unsure if it will be traded away with games such as Far Cry 3 I don't regret buying any of them.

Milanezi said:
I REALLY liked AC3 as well, but I'm kinda torn in the sense that I don't wanna see Connor become stale like Ezio in AC:R, but I do feel like he could definately pull off one more game. Ubisoft has crushed the idea of a sequel though, they've stated they're moving on so meh. I get what you're saying, you were unable to divide your time between life and game time and that's resulted in you not exactly fully enjoying all the games you've purchased, but my answer to that is to pace yourself. Over christmas I ended up getting somethng like 6 games all at once, two handheld, 4 Xbox, and while it was the holidays it was still quite a fair bit of gaming hours. Instead of diving into all of them at once, I focused entirely on one game at a time. I get that with games like Far Cry 3 and Borderlands 2 there are points in which the game gets stale or repetetive (more so FC3 than B2), but in the end I guess it's just a matter of figuring out how to get through it. I found that if I got bored in FC3 I would just do the main missions as it would get the game over and done with, while with Borderlands I changed from Zer0 to Axton because I found the play style of the character didn't suit how I liked playing. As for Max Payne 3, you will enjoy the hell out of it, started off a little slow for my liking, but boy does that game kickass after the first act.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
It's been the same old tactics and same old games for awhile now, and I think the price of super graphics is to blame. I really haven't wanted any games desperately since... whenever, except classic games.

Mr_Terrific

Oct 29, 2011
Jim and 90% of the bootlickers in this thread need to quit gaming. If you are that unhappy and unimpressed, reroll another hobby or career.

Oh, and if you have to warn people of the so-called legions of Sony fans you're intentionally trying to piss off, you're clearly a troll. The entire video was a plea to get the masses on N4G to show up and drop a comment. Why? This show is running on fumes. It's only good when you're dogging EA or some other company that shat on your pillow.

"I'm not singling out Sony"...haha. *goes back to check for the "I'm tire of this shit" video from the WiiU reveal that doesn't exist* *patiently waits for the "I'm tired of this shit" Jimquisition after the 720 that will probably focus on how tired of Sony's bullshit Jim is.

So Sony's new racing game is PS4's version of a game that is Xbox's version of Gran Turismo?

This whole video is laced with bait...

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I remember my first PS1 and PS2. The graphics were WOW, just seeing the trex/mantaray demos were amazing to me. Battle Arena Toshinden & Destruction Derby were major changes in gaming and graphics. Now i think after the PS3 and 360 - graphics and throwing polygons around the screen no longer impress us. We can tell what is fluff and what is new, and now we just want games that make us wow. New ip. Not just another shiny version of games we have already played. Im sure some people want all that social crap, but you sell a console by games. Except there doesnt seem to be any on the PS4 at the moment. An if there is nothing to wow me then i will just keep playing my 360/ps3 until games are released that i need to play.

Though, im sure they are gonna do big things at E3. Maybe they made a crappy event just so we will have a low expectation of PS4/Sony at the E3? lol.