Jimquisition: Nintendo of America

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
Starik20X6 said:
Now, take that level of annoyance, crank it to 11, and you have Nintendo of Australia.
You are correct, in the gaming world food chain US gamers are generally on the top and generally get the most games and pay the least for them. As a PAL gamer in somewhere around the middle, you poor souls down under have it bad though $120 per game and crazy censorship. I suppose its kind of a good thing for us in the UK considering so many AUZ gamers import UK PAL, which mean higher sales and more games are localised, which in turn is a good thing for AUZ gamers who get to import them. (atleast you dont live the parts of the world like Africa, Russia or China which have been basically abandoned by the gaming industry who cant compete with pirating. Ive read that in China a single console game can cost nearly 1 week or months salary.

Region Locking is bollocks, especially for modern consoles where its nigh on impossible to get around it without hacking.

EchetusXe

Jun 19, 2008
And this week's Jim Sterling word to remember is... 'clit giraffe'.

My favourite is still 'skelingtons' (not skeletons). That has sentimental value because the comments on that video were pure hate and then there was me chuckling at a word pronounced in an unusual way and applauding Jim on another successful episode.

I still think Jim could do with a cameraman though (though I err, never mentioned it before), the solitary stationary camera looks a bit amateurish, especially compared to the enjoyable intro sequence.

I don't live in America and I don't play obscure Japanese games so I can't say I'm too bothered about the whole topic of this episode. Love the passion though (I don't mean that in the 'you are shit but you are trying hard' way).

MordinSolus

Feb 10, 2011
I couldn't have done any better explaining this, but you forget something: Where's my damn Fire Emblem New Mystery of the Emblem!?

-Ulven-

Nov 18, 2009
I like Jimquistion due to the fact that Jim (mostly) know what he is talking about and brings it out with some (subtle?) humour.

Keep on quisitioning Jim.

Leoofmoon

Aug 14, 2008
theres even a youtube video of someone starting a patision of this i dont really know how to do links in forums but i can tel people the video "Sign the petition to localize Xenoblade, The Last Story & Pandora's Tower" look for this and sing up, I first saw them and didnt know they where a wii titile. If this game came to PS3 or xbox id buy it right up but i support world wide releases.

Lets get this out there people

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Zhukov said:
JoshGod said:
Zhukov said:
Advocacy of piracy, albeit under rather specific conditions, from an editor-approved Escapist video.

Huh. I haven't seen that happen before.
They did a similar thing on extra credits, if you can't buy the game then download it, however as i don't own a wii I don't know if its region system locked or like the ps3.
Ah yes, I remember that. Thanks for the reminder.

Still, it's odd to see. Usually the Escapist is utterly opposed to piracy in every form. And probably with good reason.
Jim hates pirates. He even did a Jimquistion making fun of them. So you know he is pissed if he is advocating piracy of these games. For good reason. Atlus,Aksys,NIS, these companies make a living doing what Nintendo says is too costly. They just don't care about us.
The video:
This is Jim saying "Fuck you" to Nintendo.

infernovolver

Jun 11, 2008
:EDIT: double post. Huh. First one I've ever gotten on this forum. No delete post button? Seriously? >.<

infernovolver

Jun 11, 2008
My lord, a Jimquisition that was informative to me on the escapist. Normally the topics Jim covers are ones I already know in and out, but this time not so much. I was completely unaware how horribly backwards Nintendo is operating with localization for numerous titles. I don't even know if you could say it's backwards, more like not operating at all. The point on profits also is funny considering they won't make US releases but we buy the most games. From what I seen on those charts the sales in the US were often more than the sales for Japan and Europe combined. I don't get why not release them. :/

captcha: from rsocabli

ZeroAE

Jun 7, 2010
You know, this could be the perfect moment in which Microsoft or Sony can localize this games to their consoles.
It would make money, bring Wii JRPG fans to the Xbox/PS3, and improve their reputation.

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
First time I've ever agreed with the Jimquisition. It does seem rather odd to stop a large share of your market from acquiring these products, especially since it has been localised everywhere else. But hey, I can't comment, I don't own any Nintendo product.

MrDefo

Jun 7, 2010
Stall said:
I'm sorry, but this is just pathetic. Okay, so you don't agree with a business decision they made. That's fine, but there is no need to be an immature prick about it. I'm sorry that you've just now arrived at the crushing realization that Nintendo isn't in the game to be your BFF, and actually tend to do their own things with the intent of what would be best for the company and shareholders because the entire rasion d'etre of a corporation is to maximize profits for the shareholders: NOT to make you happy and be your BFF. Odds say NDA didn't do this out of spite: they had a legitmate reason for not bring these games over.

Sometimes Jim Sterling can make a good point, but this episode is just beyond pathetic. It's like a little kid getting mad about realizing that gaming companies aren't our friends. Be a god damn realist about this, would you?
Stall, the entire POINT of what he's saying is that it makes sound business for them to release these titles, ESPECIALLY the one that's ALREADY been localized for the English language. I feel like you didn't even watch the video.

PH3NOmenon

Oct 23, 2009
Congrats on picking up speed and finally getting some recognition Jim! You deserve it, you tackled some decent issues and spoke up where needed.

Now that you do have the recognition, it'd be great if you could see your way to, you know, not make every single gamer look like a fucking retard. You could have made this point in an intelligent fashion. There is no need to drag our entire fucking public image through the mud like this.

GrungyMunchy

Nov 21, 2009
the spud said:
Wow. Nintendo can be pricks.

They did the same thing with earthbound and the rest of the Mother series. They won't even release earthbound on the virtual console, due to fairly minor legal reasons. Maybe its time they grow some balls.
Yes, of course publishing a game referencing a shitload of The Beatles' lore brings up "fairly minor" legal issues. You must not have any idea of what it was to publish The Beatles Rock Band with Yoko Ono having to approve every single fucking molecule of the game's content.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Well Jim himself is still an insufferable douche, but he's absolutely right on this one. Absoutely freaking right. In addition to those three games, Nintendo, can you please give us freaking Fatal Frame 4 already? Here in the US the Fatal Frame games are revered as some of the best horror gaming has to offer; what have you got to lose by giving us another one?

My only regret about this video is that Jim did it before Extra Credits. Had they done it, it might actually stand a chance at changing something. In this format though, it'll just make us rightfully angry gamers nod our heads in approval, but if Nintendo sees it, I guarantee you none of them will acknowledge the points made inbetween the intense and profanity-ridden insults.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Jim makes a pretty damn good point. It makes absolutely no sense for Nintendo not to give this a try, even on one of the many, many titles that they could bring over and localize.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
ZeroAE said:
You know, this could be the perfect moment in which Microsoft or Sony can localize this games to their consoles.
It would make money, bring Wii JRPG fans to the Xbox/PS3, and improve their reputation.
That's assuming Nintendo of Japan would allow those companies to port and localize these games for their own consoles... I don't see it happening unless they throw a ton of cash as Nintendo's face.