Jimquisition: Photorealistic Sociopathy

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Well, now we know how Jim sounds while having sex. God help us all...

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Super-realistic graphics tend to convey the complete opposite to an emotional connection from me. Heavy Rain was as uncanny valley as you can get, and L.A. Noire reached a whole nother level where everyone looked like real people wearing rubber man suits and hats.

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
Thank God for Jim. Now if only some developer would actually listen.

Gameplay will trump graphics all day long.

andersgeek

Jul 6, 2010
I wouldn't say BioShock Infinite goes for a cartoony art style or something -- it's certainly not as (photo-)realistic as some of the Call of Honourfields but it goes for as realistic as its fantasy setting allows -- but this is an episode were I could've shouted "Amen!" every five seconds nonetheless. Good job!

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Honestly, on the subject of going off topic, I was kind of hoping for a crack at the EA v. Zynga debacle...

Mistilteinn

Jul 14, 2012
If someone wants to see realistic graphics, there are these things called "outside" and "life". One is a massive world map to explore, and the other is probably the longest running MMORPG in history. Maybe if certain developers tried them out outside of their jobs, they'd realize that not everything needs to look 'real' to convey emotion or keep the player invested in the world. Video games are a form of escapism, and real life is, well, real life. Let's try keep them separate, eh?

TheScottishFella

The Know-it all Detective
Nov 9, 2009
Damn. Jim is looking sexy. Jonathan Holmes is a lucky man :p

OT: Also, completely agree, though I do feel you may on touched on this topic before, just can't remember the episode name :p

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
As soon as I read the title I knew how you were going to talk about this. Well done!

If you can't get even a little emotionally connected to any character in a game simply because they don't look completely like a real life person, you may be a sociopath. Also like others have said, the "real" looking games not only tend to have not so great characters, but also can really put you at the bottom of the uncanny valley.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
I'm sorry, the camera insisted on lingering, so I didn't realize I was supposed to connect with Elizabeth emotionally, and not stare at her plunging neckline.

solvemedia caption: lunch time

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
I regularly have this debate with so called 'hardcore' gamers.

"Urgh... you're not hardcore, you're playing that stupid ball rolley sticky thing game, that's for kids."
"Says the man who shelled out £50 for a 6 hour wank fantasy because he's too scared to join the real army..."

irmasterlol

Apr 11, 2012
I feel like a lot of people mistake wanting good graphics and wanting photo-realistic graphics. I want good graphics. I think most of us do, because gaming is primarily a visual medium. Good and even great graphics are more influenced by art direction and design than having the shiniest new Crytek engine and so many pixels we have to start inventing new numbers. Journey, for example, might not have been as emotional as it was if it wasn't so damn pretty.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
Not a lot to say that wasn't already said. Hell, I was even planning to cite books, a medium where skilled hands will use the lack of visual representation as an advantage. No, photo-realism, and the argument that we need it, is just going to make video games worse, and continue it down the path of ruining the potential video games have: to show us worlds that aren't possible, aren't realistic, but make us give a shit anyway, while making us a part of them.

No, that's not the most easily profitable way. No, that won't get all the instant gratification money prolific developers crave like their next drug fix. But the drive for the lowest common denominator does nothing for the industry as a whole, and for the people who stick around more than fifteen seconds in it, and no amount of bullshitting from the developers shooting for it can hide that that's all they're doing; they care nothing about improving video games. They're just after what they see as easy cash.

On a barely related note, Bioshock Infinite could use a lot less fucking cleavage, especially when your perspective is constantly looking downward at the character. Kind of funny how we're using it as an argument against cheap, shallow immersion when such an obvious hook as "LOOK, SHE HAS TITS. THINK YOU'LL STICK AROUND IF YOU GET TO STARE AT THEM THE WHOLE GAME?" is employed.

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
This whole idea of "needing" photorealism is just stupid. These game companies really are clueless.
2D sprites are just as capable of producing an emotional reaction as any modern title. They just don't want to admit that they're not very good at creating good stories and likable characters.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
irmasterlol said:
I feel like a lot of people mistake wanting good graphics and wanting photo-realistic graphics. I want good graphics. I think most of us do, because gaming is primarily a visual medium.
I disagree; I think gaming is primarily an interactive medium, and the interaction can make up for flaws absolutely anywhere else, especially on the visual end. Good graphics are probably second-to-last on my list of priorities in a video game.

There's no excuse not to have good art direction and aesthetics regardless of the quality of your graphics, though, and I think that's much more important as a result; low quality graphics can still be very pleasant to look at as long as they're presented well.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Anyone that says you need photorealistic graphics for empotional investment, I have two words for you:

Aerith Gainsbourough

Final Fantasy VII was a game that drove a lot of emotion despite a graphics level making characters look like Lego a lot of the time. Hell, FFVI got me in a few places with fucking pixels. Just admit you'd rather be making movies and move on.

I've been saying this for a while, but on a different tangent: graphics take up a lot of data and system resources. It's something I've been on about since 3D: yes, it's nice to see the back wall, but if there's nothing there it's wasted programming. MGS4 has a lot of quality graphics, but less gameplay than all but the NES instalments. Looks aren't everything, and I'd rather have a few extra dungeons, characters, or mini games than a trip through uncanny valley.