Jimquisition: Photorealistic Sociopathy

Howling Din

Mar 10, 2011
The most pathetic thing about this issue is that so many people consider the argument relevant.
It's not. Anyone who gives this issue an excessive amount of their time in any way should find something better to do.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
More often than not the unrealistic games evoke more emotions in my emotionless soul than the realistic ones, except perhaps one emotion the rage when screwing up etc in for example BF3... :)

But Bastion, BGE, Limbo, Braid, even freaking Kingdom Hearts were more emotion evoking than Crysis, CoD 99million, BF3... But will they learn no, will they understand no.
Why? They are execs leading a company with money as only driving power they don't care if a game is bad as long as it's selling and will make their upcoming titles also sell....
Whilst the smaller developers (and some unique ones like Valve) do it more (rarely only though) for conveying emotions or make good games or just have fun, money is more of a secondary positive incentive to make something great....

Thats at least how I see it, there's always exceptions to the rules however.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
you're a good guy in a good position. keep bein' awesome and spreadin' the good word, Jim.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
TitanAura said:
I would rather have the freedom to do the same than suppress anyone's right to say otherwise. I believe Chick-fil-A has a right to express such an opinion even if doing so is a very very stupid thing to do indeed.
I don't recall Jim suggesting that Chick-Fil-A (or its representatives) should not have the right to express an opinion.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
*facepalm*

I get the feeling that most next-gen Triple A developers have never played a game like Final Fantasy VI, which doesn't have realistic graphics but is possibly one of the emotional games I've ever played, and one of my all-time favorites.

Seriously, every new year, we get less and less memorable characters coming out for games that we accurately remember even months or years after we've put down the game. I can only think of Reznov of CoD (for his campiness and sheer likable dickishness) and the Geth from Mass Effect as memorable characters that really stand out and you can remember even after you've put down the game from this generation, but way back in the older games, I can think of Crash, Spyro, the entire cast of Final Fantasies VI and VII, and Mario and Luigi's portrayals in the Mario & Luigi GBA series.

Stop allocating money to the graphics department, and start spending more money on your story. I've seen MW3 and Battlefield 3 on my HDTV, and they look gorgeous. Now that I've stopped caring, please give me a story worth a damn.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I chuckled at "Colbert Report".

Anyway, I have to imagine this is the reaction to calling out how David Cage is kind of bad with emotions:
Which, funnily enough, proves the point almost as well as the awkward sex scenes. Unless that cop was supposed to have Tourette's, in which case, I apologize. But I think we all know that he isn't supposed to have that.

Also, great use of "Thank god for me" this week.

Sseth said:
I remember back when the entire escapist thought Jim was too full of himself and everyone wanted the show cancelled when he first started making these videos. Now I rarely see anything but praise for the Jimquisition.

Eat it, disbelievers. I love this show. Great episode.
Damn straight skippy. I liked this show then and I still like it now. Suck it, haters.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
pretty good episode, but I just have to say this just because.

Hatfilms Hatfilms Hatfilms oh my god Hatfilms were in this.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I agree completely. I think aesthetics are way more important than graphical fidelity and have for the longest time. I wish developers would realize this also.

noreshadow

Feb 5, 2009
I cant wait until we achieve photo realism in games, so we can stop trying to achieve photo realism in games.

Maby then the people with the money can stop showing off fancy new rendering engines in scripted events and focus on fun original idea's AND OR story's

(of the opinion a game doesn't need a story, so if your going to include one, it better be good.)

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
Nicolaus99 said:
"I think no religious statement has any place in something that isn?t a church or a religious topic." - Jim Sterling

Golly gee Jim. Maybe you should go and try to do some more of that actual Journalism you were talking about earlier. Do you even know where Dan Cathy made his statement concerning his personal opinion on gay marriage? Of course not. You're too busy stroking your outrage in defense of your liberal opinions. Here, I've done it for you since you were too busy to bother:

http://www.bpnews.net/BPnews.asp?ID=38271

Here, I'll even reference some of your fellow liberals:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/17/dan-cathy-chick-fil-a-president-anti-gay_n_1680984.html

He said it in an interview with "The Baptist Press: News With A Christian Perspective". A relevant place for one to speak his mind on religious opinion? Have some crow to go with that side fat you'll be scooping out and eating. Maybe you can open an episode with you stuffing some Chick Fil A into your maw.
I know I'm gonna regret diving in to this, but the Chick-fil-a thing is not about what someone said, it's about what he does.
Maybe, in general, it isn't right to punish a whole company for what the guy on top thinks, but there's a pretty solid reason why to make an exeption in this case. The dude doesn't just gives money to anti-gay-marrige causes, he has donated to make homosexuality illegal, and to stop the US from condemning the "Kill-the-Gays" from Uganda (I think, not great on geografy).
Think about that, he thinks that we shouldnt say that killing gays is wrong. Buying from Chick-fil-a is giving him money, giving him money is supporting murder, that's the long and the short of it.
I'm a vegetarian, and we don't even have Chick-fil-a's where I'm from, but I feel like going to the US just to not eat there, that's how bad this is.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
wackelpudding said:
I wouldn't say BioShock Infinite goes for a cartoony art style or something -- it's certainly not as (photo-)realistic as some of the Call of Honourfields but it goes for as realistic as its fantasy setting allows -- but this is an episode were I could've shouted "Amen!" every five seconds nonetheless. Good job!
Nah, BioShock Infinite has a conciously cartoony look. Take a look at the main girl, her anatomy isn't proper, just look at her eyes, and it isn't about fantasy, it's because a cartoony faces are easier to relate to, their expressions are more clear. And look at the art for that game in general, it's subtle, I'll give you, but it's colouring and texturing is conciously non-realistic. It fits the setting better, and photorealism would take away from the unique tone of the game

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Redd the Sock said:
Anyone that says you need photorealistic graphics for empotional investment, I have two words for you:

Aerith Gainsbourough

Final Fantasy VII was a game that drove a lot of emotion despite a graphics level making characters look like Lego a lot of the time. Hell, FFVI got me in a few places with fucking pixels. Just admit you'd rather be making movies and move on.
Actually the graphics is what made that game so big it was in the early days of 3D and the first time we saw a non sprite character give emotions. Better graphics can help but should never be the main appeal of a game if it is it's not a game it's a tech demo

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
Anyone who would tell a developer they are full of shit for wanting photo-realistic graphics is somebody that doesn't think games are art.

Samantha Burt

Jan 30, 2012
-|- said:
Anyone who would tell a developer they are full of shit for wanting photo-realistic graphics is somebody that doesn't think games are art.
I'm pretty sure that anyone who thinks photo-realism is a requirement for something to be art has zero grasp on what art is actually.

karamazovnew

Apr 4, 2011
Why is Limbo given as an example with "10%" graphics? Limbo looks great, a testament that visual expression can be achieved with good art direction. But anyway, back to our 3d world.

While playing Skyrim and The Witcher 2, I felt that the better a game looks, the harder it is to make it immersive. Why? Because of the bloody screen. I've spent my early teen life playing flight simulators and not a month goes by without me searching the internet for the latest news in head tracking gear and head mounted displays. The 3d gimmick has never caught on, and even with photorealistic graphics it would still be limiting. What we need to do is go INSIDE the game. Publishers should support the virtual helmet industry, to market cheaper and cheaper versions. Even Borderlands 1 would be THE SHIT if played on such a device. Yes, there are lots of issues regarding control and aiming, but the rewards of cracking that would be amazing. I mean ffs, the mouse is still regarded as the best way to aim a weapon in a game. Surely we can do better. The first wave of helmet games would be simulators, maybe even sparking new interest in a dying genre. But soon after, you'd have exploration games, where the environment would become more and more important.

So, to sum up, photorealism? Neah. Head mounted displays? Now you're talkin...

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
I'm not gonna lie. I sat through the whole episode and now 5 minutes later couldn't say a damn thing about it. Completely forgettable.

That's really not a good thing. I obviously speak for just myself, but where usually I find some humor and memorable points to take from it... This week, I am just struggling to try and figure out what you were trying to say? Console generation isn't over? Graphically pleasing = suck? I don't know...