Jimquisition: Reasons To Pass On Season Passes

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Reasons To Pass On Season Passes

You were promised an episode on season passes, in the wake of Jimquisition complaing about downloadable content. There is a season for all things, and that season has come to pass.

Watch Video

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
This is why I'm glad I didn't buy the Last of Us Season Pass. I did think about it to support the game but after they said what the DLC would be it turned out that I only wanted to buy one DLC item that would be sold as part of the season pass.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I will not pre-order games and I will definitely not pre-order DLC. Season Passes and any Publisher that uses them can go fuck themselves.

ImBigBob

Dec 24, 2008
I almost never buy DLC. I grabbed a couple for Borderlands 1, and that was it. Unless you count Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, which is about the best argument for DLC you could possibly have.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
When Jim Sterling drops a mic you have fucking been told game industry. Damn season passes, make me sick on a mere conceptual level they do.

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
The trust issue is why I like Volition's approach to season passes. Namely, that you can buy the season pass at release and have all the A-grade DLC appear in your game as soon as it comes out (in a weird inversion, the B-grade weapon-and-outfit packs are what you have to buy separately) or you can wait until all the DLC is out and then buy the season pass to get all of it at a discount. Hell, the season pass for Saints Row The Third is still [http://store.steampowered.com/app/901805/] available on Steam, and the last piece of DLC dropped more than a year and a half ago!

Zero Serenity

Nov 21, 2009
What about pre-order bonuses that are DLC? Darksiders II does this and I don't find anything particularly wrong with it.

schwitz

Sep 30, 2012
I don't even pre-order games. Let alone pre-order a pack of DLC that I have no idea when its coming out.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Despite buying two season passes previously (Bishock Infinite and LA Noire), I definitely agree. In the case of Bioshock Infinite, the only reason I decided to get that was simply because I was given 1600 Microsoft Points free from Microsoft after they buggered something up around about that time, and I'd played Bioshock Infinite and loved it. So it cost me nothing. In the case of LA Noire, I bought it months after all the DLC was out and reviewed (most of them reviewed highly, or I wouldn't have bothered with the thing) and was 75% off in a Deal Of The Week sale.

For the most part, however, like I said I would agree. Much better to wait and see whether all the DLC is good. And then maybe, the discounts that the Season Pass provide could be worth it.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
I'm in a sticky situation (as Denner once was according to Blackjack - guess the reference). There are 2 game series that are like holy cows to me - Killzone and Mortal Kombat series. Normally I would never buy a season pass ever, but sorry Killzone gets away with it with me. Because I would buy anything Killzone, as simple as that.
Death to the ISA and all.

Anyway, I'm surprised that Jim haven't mentioned the recent trend of making a piece of DLC 100% exclusive to season pass purchase.
And that is what frustrates me. It's the trend of selling incomplete games. I'm a bit mad when it comes to select few games that I grow to really like. Like, I loved Dragon's Dogma and that made me buy every single piece of DLC. Some are 100% useless trash by the way and basically are donations to Capcom Dragon's Dogma profit pool. Thing is, that a lot of DLC puts me off buying games. I was about to preorder Prototype 2 CE when they announced DLC plans.
I never bought Prototype 2.

hawk533

Dec 17, 2009
Curious what Jim would think if Payday 2 offers a DLC pass when the first piece of DLC finally drops for it. I know he celebrated the ability of that studio to make a profit on "only" 1 million copies sold.

I've already put 100 hours into the game, so if they offer a pass, I think I'll buy it. I don't think the pass is a bad idea if it's not offered until after the game comes out. That way everyone can determine if they want to keep playing or not.

Anthony Wells

May 28, 2011
I gotta say. I agree preordering DLC is a risky business. I'm willing to take the risk when a dev has proved to me they can put out quality content (speaking specifically of gearbox and the borderlands series) but its still a risk, however I don't think season passes are inherently a bad thing, then again I don't think most things are inherently bad, most are just flawed.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
Not sure I can agree with the concept that they a bad thing for everyone. The way most of them are done (I've yet to see different) The season pass is avaslible pretty much forever, the DLC is avalaible seperatly, and later a Game of the year/gold edition appears with everything rolled in.

What this is doing over just seperate DLC is adding consumer choice, which last time I checked was a good fucking thing.

If you don't trust in advance enough then you can by piece by piece, or wait till the value of the seperate bits you might like overtake the cost of them seperately, if it never does then theres a simple solution there.

As long as nothing meanigful is locked perminantly behind a preorder/retailer/season pass bonus there is no problem.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Zero Serenity said:
What about pre-order bonuses that are DLC? Darksiders II does this and I don't find anything particularly wrong with it.
I remember it. I've encountered weird ghostly stuff in DS2 and it frustrated me constantly. When I've learned it was some retailer exclusive preorder bonus.
Not available in my country too.
I was so fucking glad when THQ crashed and burned. I'm a willing supporter of good game, I bought every piece of SR3 DLC before that, but preorder bonuses that are NOT available for purchase at launch? This is where I spit and turn around to go away and never return.

CManator

Nov 8, 2010
I bought season passes for Borderlands 2 and Bioshock infinite, and I regret them both. While they are both good games, neither held my interest long enogh to care about playing the dlc (if and) when it actually came out. I paid for content and i still don't know if it's any good, and probably won't find out for a long time.

No more season passes for me.

Ruzinus

May 20, 2010
How to Season Pass:

Wait for all the DLC to be out.

Notice that the Season Pass is still sold.

Wait for the Season Pass to get a Steam Sale.

Make purchasing decision.