Jimquisition: Reasons To Pass On Season Passes

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Certainly learned my lesson after getting the Borderlands 2 Season Pass.

I loved the game itself and don't regret buying it, but then 4 pieces of DLC on top of that is too much for me.

Season pass = Waste of money in 95% of cases.

proghead

Apr 17, 2010
So basically, it's like Kickstarter. Crank out some cash and hope it won't turn into shit. Amirite?

Arppis

May 28, 2011
I think I saw this "season pass" thing in Gears of War 3 first.

I thought it was pretty stupid from right off the start. But hey, if someone wants to spend their money for unknown, go ahead.

ddrkreature

Jun 24, 2013
I only really take part in DLC if I REALLY like the game. I ONLY take part in season passes when I know the content in them is actually worth something. So that about equates to one season pass I've gotten pre DLC release and that was for Borderlands 2 but I knew what was in it because I actually took time to do research. I'm actually pretty surprised the Battlefield and CoD Season Passes weren't brought up (premium is a season pass too). Seriously, $50 for maps is ridiculous. I know it takes time to make, but it fits in with the "paying nearly $100 for a game without all the content in it" argument.

I'm just waiting for that fateful day when developers and publishers make a season pass for a game and don't release all the dlc for it before "dropping support because 3 million copies sold wasn't good enough"

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
Oh Jim, the stuff that gets recorded at the end of each session is just as good as the damn message, but you really had me laughing this last time. Perfect microphone timing.

I agree that ordering a season pass before understanding what content you get is pretty much bullshit on the publisher's part. Only season pass I've bought was for ACIII when I understood what each one was and wanted all of them (who knows why). The crap Gearbox has pushed out with BL2 has been really, really poor CS when, as you said correctly, the good stuff is outside of that. I'm also annoyed that Gearbox feels the "need" to charge money for raising the level cap: that's a patch add-on content, damn it!

I don't buy season passes for two reasons: I don't know what I'll get and the amount of money I'll save on a gamble doesn't outweigh the disappointment of actually getting poor DLC. I'm not saying they should go away, as in some cases it may work out well for both consumer and publisher (CoD? Do they have passes?), but every customer should think a little harder about what they'll get out of their money.

But good on Levine for creating DLC after the core game was done, eh? Haven't you brought up that funny aspect of Day 1 DLC for months?

(And thank God for Jim!)

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
One of the things no one brought up, not even in the comments is the problems with with hard drive space. The old x-boxes only have 20 gigs and that's not including all the patches and software updates. I don't even buy DLC because it's too much of a hassle to get my console online and have to worry about what to do with all the data.

This used to be the publishers problem because they had to worry about where to store the data, usually on a disk, cartage, ect. Now it's our problem and we're paying the publishers to unload their problems onto ours.

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Pat Hulse said:
I can't argue that Season Passes are generally-speaking a bad deal and consumers ought to be wary of them, but I don't think that publishers should stop offering them. Pre-selling DLC ensures that the publishers don't get on the developers asses about releasing the DLC sooner since statistically, DLC sells best right after release (source: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/16/eedar-consumers-have-greater-interest-in-dlc-a-month-after-game/ ). This is why on-disc DLC was such a common practice. With Season Passes, the publishers get to maximize DLC sales and the publishers get to take their time and do their DLC right.
You know, it is possible to release a game and not release any DLC. Imagine that, selling the complete game the first time and not having to worry about consumer interest waning in your game a month later - because they were completely satisfied the first time!

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Ruzinus said:
How to Season Pass:

Wait for all the DLC to be out.

Notice that the Season Pass is still sold.

Wait for the Season Pass to get a Steam Sale.

Make purchasing decision.
Pretty much my modus operandi concerning season passes, except I usually buy the game as well.

I tend to view a season pass announcement as a negative when buying a game and makes me hold off until the inevitable Steam sale rather than buy it at full price.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
You'd know what I'd love to see more of instead of season passes?

An "upgrade pack" that combines all the DLC into one plus whatever additional in-game features that come with a Gold, GOTY, Complete Edition, or whatever they call it, instead of just buying each one. GTA IV's EFLC was a great decision, but nobody else caught on.

...However, if they do this, they might as well realize that they need to offer it a rather low price. For people that have waited so long, and possibly paid $40-60 for the game, there's going to be little initiative left to check out those expansions or DLCs.

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
This episode reminded me of car shopping about a month ago, let me explain.

When I purchased the car, the dealership was very big on wanting to sell me the extended warranty for the car. I would have the original warranty but this would give me another 2 years. It was tempting, but in the end I decided not to buy it, why... Because I had no idea what types of repairs that I was going to need to pay for down the road.

Which brings me back to DLC and season passes. Pre-ordering a season pass is just like buying an extended warranty for pretty much anything that could be repaired. You are paying for the repairs / gameplay before you ever know what it is going to be. In the case of the DLC the DLC could be 2 pieces of junk and 1 good DLC, in that case you've most likely paid $20 for 1 decent DLC. If you ended up just buying the 1 good DLC than it would have been more cost effective.

Bottom line is if the company didn't stand to make more money by offering you a "deal" on something, they wouldn't offer it. Sometimes deals are good (got to love Steam sales). As Jim points out, they already have your money, they don't have to deliver on what they sold you, except in name.

Yph

May 22, 2013
I disagree with the part about the Borderlands 2 Season pass. Anyone who was confused about what they were getting didn't pay attention, it specifically said that the season pass include 4 DLC packs. And since they cranked out 3 of the DLC before they released the Psycho, it was obvious the final one would be another level expansion.

Unless you're referring to the "Premiere club" which said you were getting the Mechromancr as a pre-order bonus?

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I'm sorry to be that person but... the correct phrase is champing at the bit, not chomping.

The only season pass I've ever bought is for Bioshock Infinite and that was after I had completed the game anyway. I loved the game so much I knew I was going to buy the DLC afterwards despite reviews. Some games just get me that way.

Most times DLC doesn't interest me anyway unless it's a significant addition to the story.

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
I only ever buy DLC for a game when I've completed it, loved it so much, and wanted more, which is why I bought the extra chapters for Fire Emblem: Awakening. Stuff like bonus weapons, extra EXP don't interest me at all.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I will pre-order a game early at GameStop just for the simple fact that I like having a sort of 'game bank' where I can go in and make small payments here and there on upcoming titles I'm interested in as I get the cash for them. This has helped me out a lot in the long run and I don't mind pre-ordering a game. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with that concept. Pre-ordering DLC though, that's another concept entirely.

Just as Jim said, I'd rather play a game first to find out if it's worth expanding upon. In instances like Bioshock Infinite, there are obviously only going to be two of the three DLCs offered by the season pass that will even be worth. An arena-style shoot-'em-up gallery? No thanks. A story told through two DLCs that changes up the story and setting almost completely? Hell yes. But I could have only bought those two on my own and they're the same goddamn price as the season pass, only I'm out money about 7 months ago and still have nothing to show for it.

Halo 4's season pass frustrated me even more - almost all of the map packs released under the season pass were garbage, and now there's a new DLC that not only adds new maps, but other gameplay features such as new armor and armor powers. Oh, and it's not included in the season pass despite being just as expensive as previous map packs. Yeah, that's bullshit. One of the map packs I never even use because I don't play in games small enough to use them.

I'm pretty much done with any kind of season pass. I can see them being great for the dedicated CoD player that you KNOW is going to get all of the DLC anyway, but it all seems pointless for me. The two games I thought I'd really want to have the pass for ended up disappointing me so greatly that I'll be passing up any future season pass purchases.

Yph said:
I disagree with the part about the Borderlands 2 Season pass. Anyone who was confused about what they were getting didn't pay attention, it specifically said that the season pass include 4 DLC packs. And since they cranked out 3 of the DLC before they released the Psycho, it was obvious the final one would be another level expansion.
Yeah but that's just it, Jim's argument is mostly that you never know what DLC packs you're going to get with those ambiguously labled '4 DLC packs.' I think a lot of us would rather have had an extra character than a level expansion.

Halo 4 - 3 DLC Packs. I had no way of knowing the only good one wouldn't be included in the season pass. It's purposefully left ambiguous so that they don't have to explain themselves to you when they screw you over.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I buy season passes of TV show son iTunes, though I can safely say that video games are a might different, since while there's... usually a good chance that you'll get your entire season's worth of episodes with a TV show, there's no guarantee that video games publishers will follow through on all the DLC they promise in a season pass.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I personally enjoy waiting for a year or so after all DLC is out and then buying it during a sale. If no sale ever shows up or if it isn't worth buying to begin with then I just never see it.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Probably why I've only bought two season passes in recent years. The Borderlands 2 season pass after everything was out so it was more like me grabbing a bulk package and the damn thing was on sale anyway, and Metro Last Light because I trust 4A that much.

caballitomalo

Aug 12, 2009
How can you blame them for trying to charge customers for content that's to even be developed. I would love to that in my line of work, specially if by doing so I'm not even required to give even a time table of when the content to be delivered.

Pay now and get the product when we say so. You don't have to be a master mind to see that load of BS on that model.

But the game industry just seems to be spoiled rotten to the point where they actually make demands on the users (at least that's the impression I get by looking at their business models and listening to guys like Jim).

I tell you this, let go of the hype machine. Don't believe the hype, don't drink the koolaid and never, ever pre-order anything. Heck, I don't even buy games on release day anymore. Fight for your money friends cause the people making this decisions aren't and never will.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I don't preorder games very often, unless I know for sure I'll like it, and there's not an insane amount of VARIETY of preorder bonuses depending on which store you PO from (I'm looking worriedly in your direction Assassin's Creed franchise. III and IV coming with flags, mini-statues, books, and whatnot along WITH bonus missions and weapons?) and I wait until I complete the main game before deciding on what DLC to get. I'm odd that way. So this Season Pass nonsense is just that, and I ain't buying it.