Jimquisition: Resident Evil 6 Is the Epitome of Survival Horror

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Very good episode. The beginning part where Jim lists all the things that 'have to go in to the game' is pretty funny and sad at the same time because it really does seem like the devs must have been on that vibe.

What I find strange are the people who dislike RE6 for not being survival horror anymore but were totally OK with games like Syndicate turning in to an FPS...

Deathlyphil

Mar 6, 2008
PunkRex said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Have to agree with Jim here. The game is a massive clusterfuck, like someone ate a five course meal and puked it all back up in a festering messy sludge.

It tries to do so many different things that it ends up not doing any of them well.

It's so muddled, broken, confused and just bad that it's actually quite compelling - me and a buddy were almost in tears laughing at how terrible and broken some sections were (usually involving QTEs and/or the spastic camera) and kept playing for hours, just to see how hilariously shitty the next section could possibly be.

And then it sold 4.5 million copies in the first week. Yep.
So are we to assume your song on the topic will be a Skar-rock-dub step mix with lyrics heavily influenced by Gangster rap sung in an operatic style?
Please do this.

1nfinite_Cros5

Mar 31, 2010
The sad bit is, aping every single game out there is exactly what's killing creativity in the industry. Being unable to find an identity for your brand isn't bad per se, but finding what's popular and attempting to draw in other audiences instead of focusing on building your own was always fiendish in my eyes. Re-6 probably wouldn't be so bad had everything it was copying worked well in the game's favor, instead of being completely jarring in gameplay.

On an unrelated note, the name of the fish that festers Jim's nightmares is known as the gonostomatidae, or the bristlemouth, a deep sea fish.

Pretty horrific indeed.

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
I actually disagree. Sure, RE 6 is terrible, no doubt about it, but I do not feel that Capcom is capable of feeling anything, let alone the kind of anxiety that Jim describes. Look at a quite from Mega Man creator Keiji Inafune, as he was leaving the company: "I really don't want to quit now. But, I can't do it anymore. I don't have the willpower. That's why I'm leaving Capcom and recharging..." The man sounds like he is breaking up an abusive relationship.

Rather than painting Capcom as a socially awkward teen, it is more accurate to paint them as an abusive addict, with their long-time friends abandoning them one-by-one.

AJax_21

May 6, 2011
On the bright side, Dishonored and XCOM are coming out this week. Made by people who give a shit.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Gizmo1990 said:
Being English I could be wrong but don't you have to have been born in the US to run for the Presidency?

If so Jim you can always come home to England and run for Prime Minister. You are 1000X better then the arse monkeys we have to choose from right now. I would vote for you based on your love for Final Fantasy IX (the best Final Fantasy and one of the best games in the universe)alone.
I'd vote for Jim to be prime minister. Or for him to replace the royal family :D

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
I knew about this from the MML3 canning and the refusal to localize AAI2.

Capcom thinks that the only people that play their games are dudebros and people who play fighters.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
MiracleOfSound said:
Have to agree with Jim here. The game is a massive clusterfuck, like someone ate a five course meal and puked it all back up in a festering messy sludge.

It tries to do so many different things that it ends up not doing any of them well.

It's so muddled, broken, confused and just bad that it's actually quite compelling - me and a buddy were almost in tears laughing at how terrible and broken some sections were (usually involving QTEs and/or the spastic camera) and kept playing for hours, just to see how hilariously shitty the next section could possibly be.

Just to clarify it shipped 4.5 million copies. Max payne 3 shipped tons of copies but the publisher still complained about how not enough copies were sold because shipping doesn't mean sold.

As for the video this has to be one of my favorite Jimquisition videos. To me the game's industry is starting to become people who won the lottery, making bad decisions left and right to where it is a countdown until this person goes broke again.

Being a hardcore RE fan this and operation racoon city are two RE games I won't touch unless I see it on steam for 5 bucks. Not because they are bad survival horror games but because they are bad games PERIOD. People supported the change to RE4 because it was a great game. If capcom wants to change the formula I have no problem with it, as long as it doesn't turn out to be shit like RE6.

I'm also going to stretch a quote that will probably get me a few comments back but this is how I see the game's industry and I will quote my friend Benjamin Franklin.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
At least we still have games like Lone Survivor, which recapture the feel of classic survival horror games like Silent Hill without adding in explosions, vehicles, and screaming soldiers, because THOSE ADDITIONS RUIN THE IN-GAME HORROR or at best replace it with rage.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Yes. that is a fear I know all too well. However that doesn't mean I don't want to abandon the games industry right now like a rat in a sinking ship.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
I'd vote for Jim regardless, but the Final Fantasy victory theme makes him the only choice. A vote for not-Jim is a vote for joylessness. Anyway, good video as always. My only experience with RE is number 4 (which I love to bits) and I wasn't really planning on picking RE6 up anyway. Still after the reviews I'm sure as hell not going near it. Would be nice if this homogenisation trend would stop. I know it's not happening to everything, hell Dishonored reviews came out just today and that looks fantastic, but with this and Dead Space 3... Maybe it's just survival horror we need to fear losing.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
It almost feels like Jim wanted to do a show on the US Presidential race...
Also, quite scary how he summed up a big element of it.

MrCalypso

Jul 14, 2010
GAunderrated said:
MiracleOfSound said:

Just to clarify it shipped 4.5 million copies. Max payne 3 shipped tons of copies but the publisher still complained about how not enough copies were sold because shipping doesn't mean sold.
This makes me wonder exactly how many copies are going to have to be sold for Capcom to consider RE 6 the "success" they expected all these new changes would bring. I hate to say it but I'm hoping the sales on RE 6 will be low enough to send Capcom and the entire industry a message....

On a side note I love Jim's new addition of the red gloves. Been thinking of picking up a pair myself.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
What was that tune in the end?
I know I heard it.
I'm pretty sure, that is from some 8-bit game.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Just so you know, Jim, if there's ever merch for the show, I would definitely buy a T-shirt, with the "Jim Sterling - Better Than America" picture on it.

And judging by gamer's response to RE6, I'm lucky to have not touched it (besides the awful demo).

Capcom better not ruin Dead Rising with this bullshit!

mdqp

Oct 21, 2011
I have to ask, Jim, you are double christian, but is milk a christian, too? The people needs to know!

With that out of the way, we can talk about the game industry and say... Didn't we know this already? I mean, RE6 is probably the best embodiment of this endeavour, but it's a trend that has been going on for years now.

I mean, look at the Mass Effect series. Without debating the pros and the cons of their decisions, they shifted the focus on the action from the RPG aspects, while the RPG aspects were already pretty weak. It's not a blasphemy, but coming from a company famous for making RPGs, that was an odd move, clearly done to appeal to a broader audience. Everyone here could probably name dozens of such examples (this one simply stayed with me more, because I like RPGs in general, but I am sure there are more glaring ones), and the thing is, so far it has been a successful endeavour, for the most part, so I doubt is going to stop any time soon.