Jimquisition: Resident Evil 6 Is the Epitome of Survival Horror

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
MonkeyPunch said:
Very good episode. The beginning part where Jim lists all the things that 'have to go in to the game' is pretty funny and sad at the same time because it really does seem like the devs must have been on that vibe.

What I find strange are the people who dislike RE6 for not being survival horror anymore but were totally OK with games like Syndicate turning in to an FPS...
There's a difference between the spirit of a game series, and the presentation of their controls. Look at Fallout 2, then look at Fallout 3. The series went from isometric to FPS, but the spirit of the post apocalyptic survivalist was still there. RE6 lost the survival aspect, meaning that is a valid reason to slam it.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Jim went a little Charlie Brooker 2/5 of the way through.

If Resident Evil 6 was that desperate, they'd have RPG (elves and magic) and Open World thrown in too.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Laurents van Cauwenberghe said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Have to agree with Jim here. The game is a massive clusterfuck, like someone ate a five course meal and puked it all back up in a festering messy sludge.

It's so muddled, broken, confused and just bad that it's actually quite compelling - me and a buddy were almost in tears laughing at how terrible and broken some sections were (usually involving QTEs and/or the spastic camera) and kept playing for hours, just to see how hilariously shitty the next section could possibly be.

And then it sold 4.5 million copies in the first week. Yep.
it's like the movies, they have always sucked but they still keep selling. i think there is a crowd for it but i'm not sure what to call it
Maybe some people are actually scared by this stuff?

I mean, after playing Dead Space im not quite as horrified by eldritch piles of flesh, bone and claws staggering about in a way that vaugely suggests human, but my sister isnt quite as distuned as i am to it.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
PunkRex said:
MiracleOfSound said:
Have to agree with Jim here. The game is a massive clusterfuck, like someone ate a five course meal and puked it all back up in a festering messy sludge.

It tries to do so many different things that it ends up not doing any of them well.

It's so muddled, broken, confused and just bad that it's actually quite compelling - me and a buddy were almost in tears laughing at how terrible and broken some sections were (usually involving QTEs and/or the spastic camera) and kept playing for hours, just to see how hilariously shitty the next section could possibly be.

So are we to assume your song on the topic will be a Skar-rock-dub step mix with lyrics heavily influenced by Gangster rap sung in an operatic style?
His song will have to be like this: http://www.wired.com/listening_post/2008/04/a-scientific-at/

There's no other way. So bad that it's hilarious... Isn't that kind of what RE6 is? I haven't played it but that seems to be what I'm hearing.

ConanThe3rd

Jul 3, 2012
Quite right, nothing but scorn for capcom. May their lack of bringing EX TROOPERS out over here be their own personal hell.

CyanideMaximus

Jun 25, 2012
MonkeyPunch said:
What I find strange are the people who dislike RE6 for not being survival horror anymore but were totally OK with games like Syndicate turning in to an FPS...
There was someone that was okay with Syndicate being an FPS?

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
MonkeyPunch said:
Very good episode. The beginning part where Jim lists all the things that 'have to go in to the game' is pretty funny and sad at the same time because it really does seem like the devs must have been on that vibe.

Well, the Syndicate remake, while not a very good game in my opinion, was at least consistent, both in gameplay and tone. There's nothing inherently wrong with franchises jumping genres, so long as they don't try to be EVERY genre at once.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Yay! More of Jim with his pants down!

Anyways, I'd imagine most people with a rational mind knew that RE6 was gonna suck the minute they announced that RE6 was going to exist. Still, this video is an interesting look into the developer's mindset to explain why it was doomed to sucking from the start.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
nikki191 said:
Wolle said:
Oh my God, he's drinking the vice president!
im sure thats not the first time that has been said in the white house
You win for that statement right there. Maybe YOU should be Jim's running mate!

In regards to the video, I have to admit it does seem like Capcom is afraid. Maybe if they didn't do the dumbass thing of KILLING OFF THEIR FANBASE BY NOT RELEASING CERTAIN GAMES they wouldn't have this problem now.

Yes Capcom I said it. Megaman Legends 3? Release it. NOW!!!

Theopenmindedgamer

Jun 18, 2012
Love it when japanese game companies assume that their games won't sell if they don't "westernize" them. It's such a silly way of thinking. Look at games like Okami, God hand, bayonetta, Yakuza, even Metal gear solid. Would any of these games be better if they would have been "westernize"? Of course not. For me, japanese devs always at a knack at coming up with batshit crazy awesome ideas and concepts. I mean ,look at the upcoming Metal gear rising and Soul sacrifice! Only japanese devs could come up with crazy stuff like that. It's what they do best! So my dear japanese devs, stick to what you do best. Please... i don't won't to see more games like R6 and Ninja gaiden 3...

aaron552

Jun 11, 2008
GAunderrated said:
Capcom thinks that the only people that play their games are dudebros and people who play fighters.
The obvious response from Capcom is that those are the only people who consistently buy their games.

Not saying they're right, but that's basically been their argument before.

aaron552

Jun 11, 2008
gigastar said:
Maybe some people are actually scared by this stuff?

I mean, after playing Dead Space im not quite as horrified by eldritch piles of flesh, bone and claws staggering about in a way that vaugely suggests human, but my sister isnt quite as distuned as i am to it.
Humans have a natural fear of the unknown and are fantastic at adapting. The best horror games capitalize on this (eg. Amnesia), the worse ones just try to repeatedly surprise (but surprise/shock is not scary) you or show you horrific imagery that you become desensitized to over time.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
That's a slippery slope Jim...you just know there will be another Republican candidate on the ballet who will try their best to out-God you. Also Mitt's magical underwear acts as a sort of +5 bonus in the God department (at least in his brain it does).

I haven't grabbed Resi 6 nor do I plan to until it's nice and cheap. I still haven't played the fourth yet honestly. The third was my favorite...Thank Jim for Jim.

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
It did? Then no criticism can reach the ears of Capcom execs now, not over the sound of all that money being made.

Rest in peace, Resi. Thanks for the good times.