Jimquisition: Resident Evil 6 Is the Epitome of Survival Horror

Abbot of Beregost

Jun 25, 2012
NinjaDeathSlap said:
MonkeyPunch said:
Very good episode. The beginning part where Jim lists all the things that 'have to go in to the game' is pretty funny and sad at the same time because it really does seem like the devs must have been on that vibe.

What I find strange are the people who dislike RE6 for not being survival horror anymore but were totally OK with games like Syndicate turning in to an FPS...
Well, the Syndicate remake, while not a very good game in my opinion, was at least consistent, both in gameplay and tone. There's nothing inherently wrong with franchises jumping genres, so long as they don't try to be EVERY genre at once.
The issue with Syndicate wasn't the fact that it jumped genres, the issue was that it was a mediocre game trying to fill the boots of a much beloved classic. If it had jumped genres WELL, then it would have been successful. However, the lack of content and updates, the mutilated story (Richard Morgan writes better than that...by a long shot. Just go read Market Forces or Black Man) and the general rush to get it out show how desperate the studio was. The lack of content updates suggest this was a throwaway project, not a labor of love.

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
I wish sometimes when we get caught up in how much the mainstream industry sucks for being so blandly mediocrily mainstream, we should remind ourselves that no, these cases don't represent ALL of gaming, or even the game industry.

Yes, the old great studios of 1-2 decades ago, were the trailblazers of what gaming became. And yes, <$100m budgets are an abomination that can't result in anything good, and it looks like any naturally growing studio will end up turning into soulless giants, and entirely ignoring the audience that made them great, then we might as well say that they are dead to us, and just look at all the still promising young ones.

After all, this is also a golden age for small publishers and indie developers, online audiences making small experimental games viable, there is a whole new generation of trailblazers. Why are we, as self-titled gamers, obliged to look at whatever Capcom, EA, Activision, etc, is producing, call it "the games industry", and weep for it, instead of just ignoring it, and looking at OUR GAMES?

Mortamus

The Talking Dead
May 18, 2012
Magog1 said:
Alright thank Jim. you reviewed a specific game. Instead of making far reaching attack on big business in video gaming. I didn't like the last resident evil. I liked the first 3. Call me a dullard. Never played 4, I probably should.

I mean you slipped in a neat little attack at a major company but at least you told us about a video game while doing it. So Re is a cover based shooter now? Okay pass.
He already does video game reviews on Destructoid. In fact, he did the review on this one. It was brutal and unforgiving. Enjoy: www.destructoid.com/review-resident-evil-6-235326.phtml

In other news, this immediately made me think of Capcom's offices being flooded with zombies. So here, enjoy this. Just think of the zombies being the crowd that thinks doing RE6 this way is what the company needed to do, and the survivors being the guys that gave us RE4. Pretty comical.

http://youtu.be/81qIUuExQmQ

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
KiloFox said:
nono Jim... if you run for president you should have a running-mate with the last name Silver

then the bumper stickers could read "Sterling Silver"
I get to be Jim's running-mate? AWESOME! ;P

LostintheWick

Sep 29, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
Just so you know, Jim, if there's ever merch for the show, I would definitely buy a T-shirt, with the "Jim Sterling - Better Than America" picture on it.
As would I. I love that the stars on the flag are more of images of Jim's head. Hilarious! And can we get a complimentary pin that plays that midi? Then we can put it on and play the song in reply to ANY questions regarding the shirt.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Capcom has been in a mad panic for the last 3 years; especially after Inafune left.
They coasted on their franchises for the better part of two decades (for better or worse), and methinks they've realized how irrelevant they're becoming to western markets.

Incidentally, I drank chocolate milk while watching this. Does that make me racist? Did I commit a hate crime?

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I used to criticize RE6 gameplay videos months before it was released on the basis of it trying to appeal to everyone. I knew it would suck because of that. And people called me names. Like moron, imbecile, crazy person, idiot, anti-Capcom whore (?). But I didn't care. Because it was so fuckin' obvious that I will be proven right.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I haven't played ResE6 but occasionally there's a "kitchen sink" type game that's really good;
like San Andreas or its copycat Saints Row 2.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I'm so adding "executive thing-doer" to my resume, now.

Also, T-Rex fight. Really, now? Huh. Did not expect that.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
As I heard someone else say, "Why did they change Resident Evil to chase after the Call of Duty audience? That's like FIFA deciding to stop being a sports game and start having terrorist gun fights. FIFA fans buy FIFA games. It doesn't need to be "more accessible" because it simply is what it is and fans love what it is, without it trying to become a completely different genre."

Resident Evil 6 is pretty much every game, Uncharted, God of War, Gears of War, Call of Duty, Battlefield... everything BUT "Resident Evil".

I'm playing through the Gamecube Remake right now as part of a Halloween marathon, and, holy cow, this series USED to be good and scary, with great atmosphere, strong focus on puzzles, exploration, and resource management, and even the characters displayed genuine emotions of shock, trauma, fear, anxiety, and vulnerability. The game was a slow-burn of exceptional pacing, shocking monsters, creepy journals, dangerous rooms, and high anxiety around each and every finely-rendered corner.

I miss that series so much.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:
Resident Evil 6 Is the Epitome of Survival Horror

Resident Evil 6 is a game about fear; fear of losing its audience, fear of taking risks, and fear of losing out to other games.

Watch Video
This came to mind at the end:

I'm not sure if I was ninja'd.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
blackrave said:
What was that tune in the end?
I know I heard it.
I'm pretty sure, that is from some 8-bit game.

Not quite 8-bit, but originally spawned from an 8-bit game.

OT: That rant about needing to come up with more ideas to appeal to everyone in the middle was hilarious.

I'm just hoping Dishonored gets the widespread commercial success that it (hopefully, judging by the reviews it's gotten so far) deserves and publishers start realizing that if they make new things that are still just as solid as their tried-and-true formulas, people will (hopefully) buy them.

But then I, and presumably Capcom as well, remember how many copies Okami sold, and remember that gamers are just as afraid of "change" as publishers are.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
But will a normal Resident Evil title sell like Call of Duty? No? Well, that's all that matters!

Seriously, loved Jim's manic thought process when imitating the games industry.

Also, glad to see Jim's got a running mate with more personality than either of the guys running in 2012.

Azeal

Sep 19, 2012
Not voting for Jim is voting for a game over. And who doesn't like that theme? I mean, I could listen to that merry tune for days.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Meh, I enjoyed the demo. Still, it'd be nice to see a survival horror game in the vein of the old Resi games nowadays.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Sterling/Milk for presidency eh?

Better choice than the ones we have now in my opinion. :p

But yeah, I never really cared for Resident Evil. So this doesn't affect me at all. All I'm going to do is sit back, grab a bag of popcorn, and watch the chaos this game has caused.

Spaloooooka

Oct 5, 2010
I have a few questions...
1) If zombies can walk and eat, like all animals, why not also wee, poo and have sex like all animals too? Sex is so instinctive brain dead guys get erections.

2) When Jim did a piece on a Fox news article and said we - as a community - should shout, moan and make noise, because that gets results. The ones who are heard.
::: How come he is saying the exact opposite with regards to the tropes vs women thing? We as a community, should not make our voice heard with regards to this. Even if it's the jerks. It's still us.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
As I've said in other posts, the Triple-A game model is not sustainable as the primary gaming business-model. It's far too expensive and carries entirely too much risk to allow creative exploration in game design. The model can not be sustained as a primary business-model on neither the investment side nor the market side; i.e. the games just cost too much (younger gamers who can afford the time-investment requirements of Triple-A games don't have the money to afford them, and the older gamers that have the money to afford Triple-A games don't have the free-time to satisfy the time-effort requirements of Triple-A games). This is not to say that there can be no Triple-A games developed; it is more to say that the Triple-A model cannot be the only model. Triple-A games can only be indulged in on occasion.

n my opinion (and this is just my opinion), game companies need to diversify around a decent portfolio of smaller, more manageable games with only the occasional Triple-A game, rather than putting all eggs in one basket with a single Triple-A franchise that competes with a multitude of other Triple-A franchises. Basically, distribute the investment risk better to create a more sustainable overall business, rather than one that goes through haphazard, capricious feast-famine cycles with all-or-nothing success requirements for each release. In my opinion, that's just something that's going to work for long.

The expense of Triple-A games means that only a few developers and a small number of franchises can exist in the market. There simply does not exist the supply in time, effort, or money to sustain a large multitude of Triple-A games, but I think there is enough to sustain a multitude of smaller games with only the occasional Triple-A game.

Again, this is all just my opinion.