Jimquisition: Solving the Sexism Situation

L-J-F

Jun 22, 2008
1000 points for having a position that isn't bolted down in self-righteous political correctness.

LaughingJester

Nov 8, 2010
Fact is that as men WE ARE MEN. We have evolved enough to put the toilet seat down, chew with our mouths closed and to dress nicely and be well groomed (caveat; most of us).

The fact remains, we (men) really are hardwired chemically to be turned on by what we see (bigger and juicer = better chance our kids have at being well fed and surviving)

As for what is sexy in video games... YOU be the judge...

me personally, dead or alive wasn't something i was interested in. Bloodrayne on the other hand can bite me any day... sexy and kicked ass

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
His points might come across better if his audio equipment/setup/post-processing didn't seem so half assed.

Audio debacle aside, I think accusations of sexism are a little too frequent, now days. We're becoming a society too easily insulted by just about anything.

Zetsubou^-^

Mar 1, 2011
i watched this one first and then the first one. idk if its cuz i've watched yahtzee for so long or what, but the two i've seen didn't bug me.

imo he makes good points. most of the people against him seem to not like looking at him, or the fact that "its been said before". well all of them tend to retread the same topics, and most of them have animation instead of actually appearing in person. personally i don't really mind seeing him rant, and all of them tend to go off to different points of view. maybe i wasn't so fond of the cussing, but i'm not gonna ding him for that.

plus i like the FF IX music playing in the background ^-^

OT: it seems simple, making two versions of armor to make it all fair.as for sexism in games lets all think about it.
before, media was limited to only show what censors allowed. in this age of increasingly liberal expression, games are still in an early stage of poking at the boundary (part of why mature in games usually doesn't equal "mature") this gains the ire of conservatives who don't want any of it, people who claim grievance to profit or troll, and feminists from days of yore who claim a girl in a chainmail bikini is sexist, because men objectify women. i don't claim racism/sexism/etc are unheard of in games, but there are certainly fewer genuine cases than the medium gets grilled over.

his point is to tell everyone to get over it, and hey, we'll even make it fair to help you. men and women objectify each other, so instead of censoring it, he would even it out.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Sorry to toss this in here, if you don't belive what I mean, hes not fit to talk on this subject in the first place if he can't get passed his own sexism, oh, LINK IT.... [insert funny swear word here.]
http://gomakemeasandwich.blogspot.com/2011/02/in-his-words-why-jim-sterling-is-in.html

Now read any of the quotes, but I'm going to say this, and only this you should take away. If were allowing this man to speak for gamers, at gamers or with gamers, then I'd rather be stricken with lightning then have a man who treats women like that. I'm disgusted at this, and in case you want to read some here, I won't post it, because this site is for gamers, by gamers, and should be respected the way this medium should. I think someone who treats women like that shouldn't be allowed to talk about sexism, nay talk about subjects in a manner that would degrade gaming as a medium only for perverts, children and utterly horrible people.
Jim, if your reading, you can go to a pit and stay there away from this community, because I don't want you here, and none of the respected, or the general users want you here at all. Jim, dig that pit pretty large, infact, dig it to the earths core, that way, you'll be nice and cozy, but still away from here.

My only little note here, I'm not going to the escapist on mondays, and I'll be damned if I ever come close to.

jonyboy13

Aug 13, 2010
Even worse than Bob's troll... Pointless, boring, not witty at all and not even close to funny. With Bob's trolls, Lisa's boobs and this The Escapist is going down fast.

DSQ

Jun 30, 2009
I find it funny that people in the comments for this video are achually telling people off for finding this videos entertaining.

I mean who are you to tell me what I do and don't find hilarious? If you don't like the videos fine, Thats your opinion. But what I don't get it that there is the open mocking of those who like jimquistion.

Keep up the good content Jim, I'll be a repeat viewer from now on.

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
Aprilgold said:
Sorry to toss this in here, if you don't belive what I mean, hes not fit to talk on this subject in the first place if he can't get passed his own sexism, oh, LINK IT.... [insert funny swear word here.]
http://gomakemeasandwich.blogspot.com/2011/02/in-his-words-why-jim-sterling-is-in.html

Now read any of the quotes, but I'm going to say this, and only this you should take away. If were allowing this man to speak for gamers, at gamers or with gamers, then I'd rather be stricken with lightning then have a man who treats women like that. I'm disgusted at this, and in case you want to read some here, I won't post it, because this site is for gamers, by gamers, and should be respected the way this medium should. I think someone who treats women like that shouldn't be allowed to talk about sexism, nay talk about subjects in a manner that would degrade gaming as a medium only for perverts, children and utterly horrible people.
Quoting for truth. Again: all I can conclude is that some people think that they're being oppressed and persecuted if they aren't given free rein to be (to say the least) inconsiderate.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
jrplette said:
It looks like the Mary Sue found this story interesting enough to cover:

http://www.themarysue.com/jimquisitions-take-on-sexism-in-games-a-great-big-flat-joke/

Their take seems to echo what I and a lot of others have been saying about this video. Thoughts?
The only real argument I could find in that piece, is that Jim is sidestepping the issue of objectification. Personally I don't think he is, he is just offering the tongue-in-cheek solution of objectifying men to the same degree. I personally see a few layers in that joke, but explaining them would really ruin it.

She seems too scared to even consider Jim's assumption that men are hardwired to look at tits. Too bad, because that could have been an interesting topic to see from another point of view. I agree with Jim on this, we do respond to tits in a very immediate way.

The rest of the article is mostly based on ad hominem attacks, the major one being that he is trolling. "He can't be serious" is probably one of the most basic and useless ad hominem attacks.

Oh and she also seems a bit offended that Jim didn't consider homosexuality. Not sure how to interpret that, she wants women to be objectified more? Or just in a different way?

She seems to expect a rational solution, in that case Jimquisition is probably not what she should be looking for. Jim makes me laugh at others and especially myself, sometimes that does a lot more than theorizing.

Ometochtli

Sep 10, 2008
Jimquisition said:
in many cases i think the issue of sexism is overblown. And it's very easy to get caught up in our inability to differentiate jokes from actual instances of hatred.
I agree.

Arren Kae

Nov 10, 2010
"Disproportionate sexualization of women in games"

gibberish. Humans are sexual.

2:45 where I stopped.

Jim Sterling's schtick is to take something sensationalized and sarcastically sensationalize it further. I used to find his writing funny but the same jokes wear thin and he wrote many articles that were low on content (even ones just saying it was a slow news day). His delivery in person is not as good as his delivery in print.

This's the 1st and last episode of Jimquisition I watched.

lead sharp

Nov 15, 2009
I actual got into this :D Funny and true, the show still needs more polish but he's getting slicker.

i7omahawki

Mar 22, 2010
DSQ said:
I find it funny that people in the comments for this video are achually telling people off for finding this videos entertaining.

I mean who are you to tell me what I do and don't find hilarious? If you don't like the videos fine, Thats your opinion. But what I don't get it that there is the open mocking of those who like jimquistion.

Keep up the good content Jim, I'll be a repeat viewer from now on.
Whether you like it or not is your opinion, which you are obviously entitled to. Anyone telling what to like or not to like is out of line.

However, this website has standards it has set for itself, which are not bound by opinion, they are bound by self-imposed rules. The problem I have with this content is that it flies in the face of those rules. The Escapist are trying to market themselves as a 'gaming as a lifestyle' magazine, while simultaneously hosting videos of an individual who immaturely trolls his audience and makes big discussion points trivial, most of the time ignoring what any opposing side has to say (see his twitter).

I have no problem with people enjoying the content, but I do have a problem with this site hosting it, when it contradicts what they state they believe (and have recently won awards for.) In that spirit, I would prefer it if the Escapist got rid of him, and that you could watch his videos elsewhere. Either that, or for the Escapist to admit that they aren't standing for anything in particular, and just want to whore themselves out for more views. Either one is fine, but currently they are behaving like hypocrites.

CarleneaLandin

Nov 21, 2010
Okay, I got to know: Where does
"WHO WANTS TOAST??!!!"
Come from? lol!

As for the vid: I'm a chick who likes games, and being a female gamer DOES NOT mean I want to see half-naked guys in my games!!! o_O
Keep bring out the naked chicks, and I'll keep buying games! "Tities!!!" XD

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
Spot1990 said:
You'd have to be pretty retarded to think someone is being serious when they say:

"Heteronormative" is one of the most pretentious words I've ever heard. This is obvious proof that Fat Princess is better than Feminism, since someone who claims to be a Feminist once used the word "heteronormative" and now I've decided that all of them use it. Dropping little made-up words to try and sound clever just makes you look like a pretentious dickhead, and it's incredibly prugamatic to commit such indefenderable verbulascur offenseries.
Yup, pretty retarded indeed.
Hate to break it to you...but, minus the part that I struck out, people (perhaps unfortunately, but even so) really have been known to say things like that and mean it.

Also: flinging insults never helps.

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
Spot1990 said:
So basically if you strike out the punchline it can be taken out of context?
So basically, if you call it humor and claim that it was taken out of context, it becomes acceptable. Even if we accept that that comment was all in fun, it's far from an isolated incident.

My retard comment was aimed at the blogger, and I stand by it, not the person who linked it.
Who it was aimed at is irrelevant, as is whether or not you stand by it.

Ishiro32

Mar 28, 2011
Ok... He is terrible, he doesn't fit here and he doesn't contribute anything to this site.

BTW.
His anwser to this problem is like putting stereotypical black guy into a movie just for the sake of it. I could elaborate about this, but francly this topic is so old,i don't want to. And bear in mind that oversexualization is not problem of games. It's a problem of modern culture. Movies, magazines, adds, games etc.