Jimquisition: Solving the Sexism Situation

Brainpalm

Apr 17, 2010
This guy sucks. He fails to express his arguments clearly, repeats himself, jumps around on topics, goes off on tangents, and in general sounds like a dick. Even with the sarcasm, he still just sounds like a bigoted, sexist and ignorant asshole. To me he seems like an entitled, immature ass hat, ranting about complex issues, with a very shortsighted and limited viewpoint and proposing stupid "solutions".
Onyx Oblivion said:
I like Jim, every since I found Dtoid.

He does need to lose those glasses, though.

Still think he should stick to issues like this, though.

That PLAYING IT WRONG one showcased a lot of bullshit in the game reviewing process.
Both of these videos are horrible. The first: he is talking about "12 year olds" wasting others time blah blah, yet playing video games at all is essentially a waste of time. Then he goes off on a random tangent about government's and Iraq, and then I zoned out.

The second: He essentially says you can't watch movies wrong therefore you cant play games wrong. Yet he has another video suggesting games are different from films. Quite a large contradiction... The context of all this does make it somewhat excusable but I'm just pointing it out. He does make some valid points, but in hindsight the video is of a guy ranting, whinging and being a twat because a developer didnt like his review. It's the wrong way to go about such matters.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
dammit Jim since the show pretty much bombed over at DTOID you had to bring it here...Now you're started to act prime chancellor from V for Vendetta and we all know how that turned out. Jim you need to stop going for shock value and go for creating a decent rant that people can think about and relate too. Not some holier then thou uptight bullshit that makes you look even worse.

MiloP

Jan 23, 2009
It's weird how a lot of the criticisms levelled against Jim are a lot of the reasons why everyone finds Yahtzee so funny. Apparently all it takes to be an internet sensation is to throw together a yellow-backgrounded PowerPoint presentation with your rant.

But I do love how everyone is rallying for this video series to be removed from the Escapist. Like it DIRTIES and TAINTS the very website just for being here. If you don't like it, don't watch it, his viewing figures will drop and The Escapist will pull it themselves.

But to be honest, if you don't like Jim but do like Yahtzee, then that's quite a big contradiction.

flakmagnet

Jan 26, 2011
MiloP said:
*snip*

But to be honest, if you don't like Jim but do like Yahtzee, then that's quite a big contradiction.
I like Yahtzee, dislike Jim (so far) but that isn't a contradiction. Yahtzee makes metaphors and similies, has visual humour and makes points (not all of which I agree with) about particular games in his videos. Jim's sense of humour (to my ears) is basically him getting mad and saying "fuck" and "fucking" a lot. No metaphors, no similies, no visual gags.

Yes, both have a crass style, both don't really seem to respect their audience (be this a part opf their character or genuine feeling, I don't care personally) however, for my proverbial money, Jim's subjects are (In my opinion) nothing new and not anything more than I could go to any message board and hear, compared to Yahtzee's game reviews.

Yes, Extra Credits does general gaming topics, but (again, my opinion) they rarely slap you in the face with the obvious, and manage to fit a lot of concepts into a 7-10 min video, whereas Jim lumbers around one concept for 4 mins.

I've watched a couple other of his vids and the two here. Personally, I'm out for now. If I hear the format has changed or improved, I might give it another try, but I'm fine for now. And no, this doesn't mean I'm calling for him to be removed,the site analytics will take care of that if enough people stop watching, otherwise, he'll be popular enough to stay, my opinion holds nothing as to wether he should/shouldn't be on the site.

TL:DR - It IS possible to like Yahtzee and not Jim without contradicting yourself.

Wargamer

Apr 2, 2008
erbkaiser said:
According to Jim, anyone who does not like him is a fucking moron and an elitist ****.

https://twitter.com/#!/JimSterling
Okay, I'm acting on my threat. I'm going to send complaints on this cuntsack as high up as I can get them.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
Jim Sterling's Twitter feed has become incredibly obnoxious since he started doing Jimquisition. It's funny how he lambasts people for being defensive of PSN, but then spends the ENTIRE DAY making defensive tweets about Jimquisition critics, and only re-tweeting defenses from his flock of fanboys/girls.
Seriously Jim, stop being such a fucking baby.

jebara

Nov 19, 2009
Why the hell did I leave that on for 3 minutes?
On second thought why did I play the video in the first place?

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
"Wow, it amazes me that, after two weeks of them hurling abuse at me, some people are now offended because I called them morons. Morons."

Yes Jim, but you're supposed to be a professional. If forum trolls manage to rile you into public displays of faeces-flinging then perhaps being a figure on the internet isn't for you.

Personally I don't care for the content of these shows, both verbally and visually. I can imagine it being fine as an article, but there's nothing happening visually, which is important in a video-series. You can make quips about escapist readers only loving ZP and EC for their colourful backgrounds, but they do provide imagery realted to the voice-over. I did notice you had some paint drawings in this week, but they were very few in number and only one of them managed to even make me smile. Maybe this show just isn't going to be my thing, or maybe I'm an elitist who somehow can't comprehend the subtle points your making here. To me this just sounded like a vaguely absurd solution to a potent social problem. It was...alright I guess, but it wasn't as humorous as a ZP and it wasn't as thought-provoking as EC. I understand you're not trying to be those shows, but when the video is neither humourous, insightful or engaging, that simply means it isn't very good.

Like I say, maybe I'm just too stupid to get what you've been calling a more subtle discussion of these issues, but Jimquisition isn't holding my attention.

Savber

Feb 17, 2011
Jim makes good points.

BUT, he needs to amp the presentation... it's not interesting just watching a well-stocked man with sunglasses drone on with some inter-cutting scenes.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
stoprequesting said:
Jim, if you don't want your videos to be criticized, make better videos.
srsly
I think everyone on here should start bombing his Twitter. He's behaving soooo immaturely. I mean, that's always been part of his persona, but in this case it comes off as "if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen."

You started a new show dude. It didn't go over well. Get over it. Move on. Try to make it better, or quit. Whining about how everyone who doesn't like it isn't "getting it" every single time is absurd.

I would obviously try and make the Twitter-bombs intelligent, and not just "OMG U SUCK." Although, it can be pretty difficult to deliver intelligently-worded criticism on Twitter.

ildrine closure

Groundchuck

Apr 16, 2011
I personally don't have any problem with this new comer to the Escapist, I myself have only recently started a profile and posting to the comments/ forums even though I have watched Zero Punctuation for years. That being said a lot of people are giving him crap for rehashing things that have been gone over and beaten to death in some ways, but honestly EVERYTHING has been went over time and time again, that is just the way it is. This same argument was made over Extra Credits Consoles being the new coin-op episode by all the frantic Movie Bob people who claim all the same points where made by his death of PC gaming video, so wheres all the Extra Credit should be gone talk... Oh that's right they cater to the Games are Art crowd. this to me seems like another angle for a different type of gamer which is fine I'm not a huge fan of it but i hardly think its trash and his way of making his point is a bit of a journey but is that not why we are here for the entertainment? I think what the Escapist has done over the years has been a great service to the industry and because of them picking up Zero Punctuation i have found rare gems like Extra Credit, Movie Bob,LRR,and now the Big Picture although if Movie Bob gets any higher on his soap box he's going to get a nose bleed. I think the track record of the Web Site speaks for itself and if theirs was nothing to what he does and says he would not have got the show so perhaps we should reserve judgement until a wardrobe malfunction or he fights dogs or something.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Im sorry, I gave him a second chance, and Hell, I might give him a 3rd if I get bored next week, but seriously this ep was worse than the first.

Sorry Jimmy.. your wrong. I would rather go with women in full platemail than to misrepresent masculinity as some waifish non threatening emotagonist lady boy (which taking the suggestion he made about deviant art + devil may cry, that is EXACTLY what results got returned) The most screwed up thing about his example is he is assuming those images are made for/by females, which explains why his premise is flawed to begin with.

That was the only concept that really got brought up that hasnt been the video equivilent to pummeling a deceased equine. And its wrong.

Heres my suggestion, in the hopes that you get your act together. Be the guy to say what actually needs to be said to the community, but we obviously dont want to hear. Be the guy to say "RPG fans... just admit it, you enjoy boring and grindy games" or "Madden fans... You have not only hurt sports games, you have hurt gaming as a whole, now stop it before it gets any worse" kind of things, because thats the only niche he is realistically going to be able to fill.

Regurgitating done to death ideas with your own special "flavor" is not going to work.

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
Groundchuck said:
I personally don't have any problem with this new comer to the Escapist, I myself have only recently started a profile and posting to the comments/ forums even though I have watched Zero Punctuation for years. That being said a lot of people are giving him crap for rehashing things that have been gone over and beaten to death in some ways, but honestly EVERYTHING has been went over time and time again, that is just the way it is. This same argument was made over Extra Credits Consoles being the new coin-op episode by all the frantic Movie Bob people who claim all the same points where made by his death of PC gaming video, so wheres all the Extra Credit should be gone talk... Oh that's right they cater to the Games are Art crowd. this to me seems like another angle for a different type of gamer which is fine I'm not a huge fan of it but i hardly think its trash and his way of making his point is a bit of a journey but is that not why we are here for the entertainment? I think what the Escapist has done over the years has been a great service to the industry and because of them picking up Zero Punctuation i have found rare gems like Extra Credit, Movie Bob,LRR,and now the Big Picture although if Movie Bob gets any higher on his soap box he's going to get a nose bleed. I think the track record of the Web Site speaks for itself and if theirs was nothing to what he does and says he would not have got the show so perhaps we should reserve judgement until a wardrobe malfunction or he fights dogs or something.
Because Extra Credits are largely enjoyed but some disagreed with their points made in that episode.

Conversely, very little people find Jim entertaining, endearing, likable, charming, or anything good really.

Xvito

Aug 16, 2008
What the hell? How does this have anything to do with sexism?

This isn't about people being mistreated, discriminated or violated based on their gender; this is about tits and butts in games. People like tits and butts, so they put 'em in games. Nothing sexist about it.

Seriously? How can anyone think this is an important thing to discuss? There is no situation to solve!

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
erbkaiser said:
According to Jim, anyone who does not like him is a fucking moron and an elitist ****.

https://twitter.com/#!/JimSterling
Haha. This is the funniest, and most pathetic, thing I've seen all day.

Yahtzee's responded directly to his critics what, once in 3+ years? (The mailbag episode) Now we've got this guy crying on his Twitter and throwing personal insults at half the forum. He really has to grow a thicker skin and fast.

@ Jim. People aren't hating on you because you're anti-intellectual or whatever your paranoia is claiming. People are hating on you because you're crap at your job.

Seriously, this is the Escapist, aka That Site With Zero Punctuation On It. Any over opinionated sweary loudmouth is going to be directly compared to Yahtzee, and you're not remotely in his league.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
I like how Jim is responding to the "haters" on twitter instead of here. So he can comfortably fling insults at them without them ever hearing it.

The problem I have with these comment boards on this site is that you rarely see the show creators interact with the people that watch. Most of the time it seems like the generally ignore the comments being made (supporting or detracting) and then when they finally do get around to check it out, it has been like this where instead of personally responding to specific complaints made about the show, they go on twitter or some other board and say "if you want to discuss the issues of our video that is on the escapist, you have to come here to do it."

And the fact that Jim rather just call anyone that disagrees with him a moron or a troll just means I won't be watching anymore.