Jimquisition: Sony, Nintendo, EA and SOPA

Jimothy Sterling

New member
Apr 18, 2011
5,976
0
0
Sony, Nintendo, EA and SOPA

The Stop Online Piracy Act may sound innocuous, but it's a nasty little proposition that gives corporations uncontested rights to control what you enjoy on the Internet. Naturally, being a horrible thing, EA can't wait to climb aboard, along with a number of other publishers. The Internet shouldn't be censored by cowardly companies who are afraid of it, and The Jimquisition urges you take note of what these organizations want to do.

Watch Video
 

Sir Shockwave

New member
Jul 4, 2011
470
0
0
Oh Jim, just do what I do for the Blog - use the written and recorded one for next week X3

Quick EDIT - Wow. Seems America's having it bad right now. First there's the Protect IP act, now this...unless the two are one and the same.
 

CustomMagnum

New member
Mar 6, 2009
90
0
0
Sir Shockwave said:
Oh Jim, just do what I do for the Blog - use the written and recorded one for next week X3

Quick EDIT - Wow. Seems America's having it bad right now. First there's the Protect IP act, now this...unless the two are one and the same.
Yeah, don't worry. They're the same bill. So this country's only trying to kill itself once, not twice.
 

Jimothy Sterling

New member
Apr 18, 2011
5,976
0
0
BrotherRool said:
The passion was amazing, I hope it wasn't acted and it's hard to imagine it was
My voice broke like a squeaky little girl in no less than two places.

Not acted at all, otherwise I'd control that shit. :)
 

garjian

New member
Mar 25, 2009
1,013
0
0
How would this effect sites based elsewhere?
...couldnt you just move your business... somehow... if this only effects america?

im not really read up on it... ... ...lets do some research then :/
 

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Moderator
Legacy
Mar 26, 2020
7,132
74
53
Country
🇬🇧
Gender
♂
Gah Jim, you scared me there with the delay in the upload, thank God for you!

On topic, this bill is indeed frightening and I regret the fact that as a British citizen there's little I can do but hope that my American cousins will see sense.
 

Sir Shockwave

New member
Jul 4, 2011
470
0
0
CustomMagnum said:
Yeah, don't worry. They're the same bill. So this country's only trying to kill itself once, not twice.
Ah, I see. Still, I think this bill has a SLIM chance of passing. As Extra Credits put it, there's going to be some REAL Superheavy Lawyers tearing it a new one. Though writing to your Senator will help.

I know I would, if I was American -_-
 

CustomMagnum

New member
Mar 6, 2009
90
0
0
garjian said:
How would this effect sites based elsewhere?

...couldnt you just move your business... somehow... if this only effects america?
Nope. The law also gives those corporations the ability to force an ISP to block sites with infringing content that come from outside the US.
 

jacobythehedgehog

New member
Jun 15, 2011
529
0
0
Jim, you sounded like you were about to cry.... :'(. I for one would hate to see this bill pass. I like talking about gaming, and making gaming videos even more so then I like talking about video games. But this goes with everything. Watching clips of a Family Guy Episode like this listed below


this could be against the law.... ;'( so can this



I mean don't take this away. Ugg. wow this is such a touchy topic.
 

Versuvius

New member
Apr 30, 2008
803
0
0
I'm just wondering. If this passes and everyone who hosts themselves in the US, hop country and host their servers elsewhere, how long it will take the US to flop its dick around and extend its big floppy juridstriction to other countries? And how long it will take them to be told to fuck right off.
 

garjian

New member
Mar 25, 2009
1,013
0
0
CustomMagnum said:
garjian said:
How would this effect sites based elsewhere?

...couldnt you just move your business... somehow... if this only effects america?
Nope. The law also gives those corporations the ability to force an ISP to block sites with infringing content that come from outside the US.
yeah i just read that...
i seems it specifically targets those outside the US...

...still reading...
 

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
979
0
0
Whoa, hold the fuck up. The ESA supports this shit? What the fuck? After our big win earlier this year I thought those guys were the shit. Now it turns out they're just shit! The fuck?!

OT: Preach it brother! Call out those assholes! I'd just assumed all the publishers and industry groups were lining up against this shit, but I guess I was wrong. Fuck those assholes, and fuck this shitty legislation!

Don't know why, but I feel this is appropriate in a completely non ironic way.

 

CustomMagnum

New member
Mar 6, 2009
90
0
0
Sir Shockwave said:
CustomMagnum said:
Yeah, don't worry. They're the same bill. So this country's only trying to kill itself once, not twice.
Ah, I see. Still, I think this bill has a SLIM chance of passing. As Extra Credits put it, there's going to be some REAL Superheavy Lawyers tearing it a new one. Though writing to your Senator will help.

I know I would, if I was American -_-
I already did, but it actually has a scary high chance of passing. Thankfully Obama already said he would veto it if it does pass, but there's nothing to stop them from rewording the bill and trying it again and again until they get something that he thinks wouldn't be too bad.

Or supporters of this might have a chance at actually overturning the veto, if they convince (or bribe) enough senators.

Even if the law gets challenged, it can still do a lot of damage while it is on the books and the courts are going over it, not to mention that the Supreme Court has a heavy corporation bias. They did overturn the limits corporations can donate to political campaigns, after all.
 

Spaceparanoid42

New member
Oct 29, 2010
35
0
0
Great episode, Jim. I think you also should have mentioned the Protect IP act, which from what I can tell seems to be very similar. But Protect IP right now seems to be in even more danger of being passed. If it was, any site that even LINKED to copyrighted material could be shut down or blocked; even if the site is from another country, it could be blocked. If it's passed, say goodbye to facebook, google, youtube, and deviantart, just to name a few. The level of censorship either of these bills would bring is disgusting, and completely against the freedom America is supposed to stand for. The internet is the greatest tool we have ever had in history, by far, for expression of free speech and exchange of ideas, and the entertainment companies want to take that away from us just so that they can make a bit more money from their movies and games. These bills must be stopped.
 

Moffman

New member
May 21, 2009
113
0
0
Thanks for making me aware of that Jim! Had no idea... that sucks arse! May well read up on it sometime.