Jimquisition: Sony, Nintendo, EA and SOPA

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
Ukomba said:
Prof. Monkeypox said:
CustomMagnum said:
Sir Shockwave said:
Oh Jim, just do what I do for the Blog - use the written and recorded one for next week X3

Quick EDIT - Wow. Seems America's having it bad right now. First there's the Protect IP act, now this...unless the two are one and the same.
Yeah, don't worry. They're the same bill. So this country's only trying to kill itself once, not twice.
Oh goody. So joining petitions against the PIPA (or whatever it would be) and spreading the word on it was helping- I was worried that I'd have to spread the word all over again.

Not that I'd mind helping out a good cause- though I'd be depressed if there were two of these fucking bills in the works.
They're different bills. Protect IP is Senate Bill S.968, Stop Online Piracy Act is House Resolution H.R.3261.
Ah crap...
To melodramatic bitching, away!

Thanks for correcting me.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Who would have thought America would do something massively stupid and anti-freedom, before David Cameron?!

If it goes through guess were gonna see a 7000% increase in .ca domains.

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
Oh shit. The fighting game community's ability to stream tournaments is in jeopardy once again, I see.

CustomMagnum

Mar 6, 2009
Prof. Monkeypox said:
Ukomba said:
Prof. Monkeypox said:
CustomMagnum said:
Sir Shockwave said:
Oh Jim, just do what I do for the Blog - use the written and recorded one for next week X3

Quick EDIT - Wow. Seems America's having it bad right now. First there's the Protect IP act, now this...unless the two are one and the same.
Yeah, don't worry. They're the same bill. So this country's only trying to kill itself once, not twice.
Oh goody. So joining petitions against the PIPA (or whatever it would be) and spreading the word on it was helping- I was worried that I'd have to spread the word all over again.

Not that I'd mind helping out a good cause- though I'd be depressed if there were two of these fucking bills in the works.
They're different bills. Protect IP is Senate Bill S.968, Stop Online Piracy Act is House Resolution H.R.3261.
Ah crap...
To melodramatic bitching, away!

Thanks for correcting me.
But they do the exact same thing and need to be combined together and voted on by both houses of congress again. So they're basically the same bill.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Sir Shockwave said:

There the same but not the same

(this is probably more then you ever wanted to know about the american government system)
US legalization is funny because our upper house has power instead of just a final check like in outer bicameral systems

Generically what happens for bills both sections of congress introduce basically the same bill if both sides pass it the minor differences are hashed out and its put up for a token vote again before moving on to the executive branch(so this is just the outer half of the Protect IP/COICA bills).

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
This is just the latest name of the same old shit, if my man Ron Wyden (D-OR) pulls through like last time it's not going anywhere.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
I don't understand why the American government would even consider letting this pants-on-head retarded bill pass. At the same time, where is the legislation that protects OUR privacy? Just today I had the Shazam app ask me 5 times back to back for access to my personal information. Pissed me off so much I uninstalled it right there.

Not to mention that the instant a law like this passes every server farm and web based business that could be affected will instantly move offshore to avoid the law and access to foreign websites from within the US will be severely restricted by ISPs fearing lawsuits. America's economy will take a huge hit from this if it passes and it will affect everyone else. I encourage any American citizens on this board to write your congress-person on this issue.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Sites like Youtube have been pulling this shit for years now. My first account got banned because I would post videogame trailers and snippets from shows. I know one guy who posted combo tutorials for a Naruto game that wasn't even out yet in America and his account was banned. It's funny when staff members on this site, which I consider to be a legitimate site for gaming news link videos that end up banned on youtube.

America: You may not get universal healthcare, a stable job, access to higher education, or a fair legal system, but you can be damn sure the rights of big businesses will be upheld, protected, and expanded upon if capable.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Really great episode, not nearly enough people know about this bill and it's so importand getting the word out. Nice job, Jim!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sir Shockwave said:

house and Senate versions of the same deal.

America has it bad for many reasons, but people like Jim are utterly and completely blowing this bill out of proportion. I still oppose it, but I am sick to death of RUN! RUN AWAY! THE SKY IS FALLING!

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Redd the Sock said:
Normally this is where I sarcasticly say to not hold back and tell us what you really think, but on this issue, I don't think we can afford to be polite.

It's nice to know someone else caught MGS2's cautionary tale instead of just bitching about Raiden, and while I felt government coverups were silly, ccorporate coverups would be all too common. Listening to podcasts from people who write for anime magizines, I've heard about how companies will withold images, screenshots, or even review copies in retaliation for bad reviews, and that's more or less how this will all work out: praise everything we do or we'll bring down the heavy hand of misinterputated copyright law down on you. Fair use? What's "fair use"?

I'm against piracy, but copyright law isn't about making sure Yahtxee gives you a nickel for using your boxart in a review.
I actually just recently finished MGS2 (got the HD remake of 2,3, and Peace Walker) and I found it oddly prophetic that the entire overarching story was about the Patriots, based in America, wanting to essentially censor all information released to the world. Considering the game was originally released in 2001, it struck me as -

Ubermetalhed said:
Also this may be proof that Hideo Kojima is a wizard/prophet.
This.

I can't really add anything that hasn't already been said. There are so many ways that this would screw over everybody involved - the customers, the retailers, the developers, and the companies supporting this crap - that I can't understand why anyone would want to pass it (aside from crusty grumpy old people who don't understand modern technology . . . oh wait, that's the entire Senate . . .)

Jan 27, 2011
daxterx2005 said:
So...we're in a recession, unemployment is at an all time high and they think its a good idea to pass a bill that will put MORE people out of jobs?
MURKA WTF?
[excessive sarcasm]
No, you silly person! The big rich companies will provide all the jobs for you! all you need to do is keep giving them all your money and surely they will give you your job! :D And if you don't get one, well, you obviously don't deserve it for being poor in the first place!
[/Excessive sarcasm]

Ok, sillyness aside, I don't get it either. It's stupid. And that's probably why they're doing it.

Large corporations have WAY too much freakin power. And it's like Jim (and many others) have said: if these companies believe in a free, capitalist market, then they need to actually compete with other companies/services. A monopoly IS. NOT. CAPITALIST. It's a dictatorship. It goes against the entire point of a free market.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Terrible news as usual. I have a site where I record and spread videos of myself playing games and posting videos of me doing (trying to at least) cool stuff in games.

Sometimes it's just montages other times it's stuff like frag vids and stunts.

I have dozens of e-mails off people (no idea how frank they are, but never-the-less) who have written in telling me that it was after watching one of my videos that they decided to buy a specific game.

Now I bet I am far from the only one that does this sort of thing and who's had similar reactions.
If a bill like this would be passed, I would argue that some Games companies would loose revenue.

I know I have been on the other side of the fence too. Watched some videos of a game which I thought nothing much of beforehand and then having the video convince me in buying the game.

As far as I can tell this law would allow people in charge to close such sites... and in my view this is a terrible thing.

The thing is - I have no clue what to do about stopping something like this. I don't live in the States for one.
You could argue that even if this law were to be passed only in the States it's effects would actually be felt worldwide because of how many companies (gaming and streaming) are based there, so I am still very worried.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
The problem I see with this is that it is something they're going to make repeated attempts at - which means the nanosecond we stop paying attention - it will pass. So we have to keep hawk-eyed about this issue and make sure we don't relax by thinking "oh it will never pass" - that's what they'd want us to think and then boom, you read about it slipping through.

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
Jeff Loper said:
Lets all sign this!

http://stopcensorship.org/
I was talking about this earlier today with my roommates. I called my senators, they sat around and got high while complaining there was nothing they could do.

Moral of the story, call your senators (if you are in the US). They WANT to represent the majority of their constituents, that way they have a job for another few years.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Sir Shockwave said:

house and Senate versions of the same deal.

America has it bad for many reasons, but people like Jim are utterly and completely blowing this bill out of proportion. I still oppose it, but I am sick to death of RUN! RUN AWAY! THE SKY IS FALLING!
I think its more along the lines that Jim is bringing to people's attention the idea that these things are being proposed, not that they have a chance (at the moment) of being passed.
Radical change does start this way, with major opposition. But awareness of the public is a smart thing and I applaud Jim for bringing it to light, because most people don't know about shit like this. The U.S. Government is convoluted and for a large part such a bureaucratic mess that the average citizen would give up or get overwhelmed if they tried to sift through the amount of legislation being proposed on a monthly basis. Whether or not it passes at the moment doesn't matter, its that there are people in the Government who think this shit is a good idea and it is smart to single those folk out and deny them re-election when the time comes, otherwise there is the possibility of them getting more support later on and perhaps passing the bill or one similar to it in the future.
The biggest reason the U.S. gov't is in a runaway train status (IMO) is that people have been lazy and way too trusting of those they vote for. If anyone lives in this country, it would behoove them not only to vote smart, but after voting keep up with the bastards to make sure they do the job you voted them in for.
I have no doubt it will not pass in current form, but nevertheless I watch out for bills like this so I can keep abreast of the undercurrents in politics. Living near the water has shown me that while the surface may seem stable, the fucking riptide can kill you.

Mar 28, 2011
Systematic Removal of Personal Freedoms!

YAAAAAYYY!

Governments and Corporations all around the world now actively forcing their own moral/economic/selfish worldviews onto You, the innocent consumer/citizen!

I'm reminded of a quote from Better Off Ted (That youtube doesn't have a clip of.)

"The company fears only governments more powerful than itself and, at this point, there's only 3 of them left."

On a personal note; to all the corporations that think this will benefit them in any meaningful way, i have this to say: