Jimquisition: Sony, Nintendo, EA and SOPA

PottymouthGamer

Aug 9, 2011
Hey guys, does anyone know what WWW stands for at the beginning of most web addresses? I think it stands for WORLD WIDE WEB, and not "property of the american government". How do they have any say in the matter anyway?

theheroofaction

Jan 20, 2011
Wow, it really says something about the world when the first thing I thought after hearing of this is "same crap, different day".

Anyhow, this has been buzzing through the forums for a few days, but it's our first feature on it.

I guess I should thank god for Jim then.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
amaranth_dru said:
I think its more along the lines that Jim is bringing to people's attention the idea that these things are being proposed, not that they have a chance (at the moment) of being passed.
He should try actually doing that, then.

newdarkcloud

Aug 2, 2010
This is when Jimquisition is at its best imo. Drop the smug persona, tell us about a problem, and most importantly why it's a problem. Then, tell us how to help out.

As for the bill, I doubt it will pass. Even if it does, Google, Facebook, and the like will put it down real quick. It's great knowing that "Yes, it's a law. However, it really shouldn't be." is a perfectly valid defense when it's worded better.

DisasterArea42

Aug 29, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
amaranth_dru said:
I think its more along the lines that Jim is bringing to people's attention the idea that these things are being proposed, not that they have a chance (at the moment) of being passed.
He should try actually doing that, then.
Y'know, if it takes some exaggeration to point out the problem, he should go for it. The problem of this act is seriously dangerous for the internet as is. Companies would go crazy blocking sites left and right. Legislation like this shouldn't even be written. There are already copyright laws in place to punish the kind of things this act would be used to go after first. Piracy is a problem, but banning the internet isn't the way to stop it.

Citizen Box

Feb 24, 2011
I don't think most people grasp the gravity of a bill like this being passed in the United States. I have even seen people here on the Escapist saying things along the lines of

"Well I am not in America so it doesn't effect me."

Oh yes it does.

Any site hosted in the United States, including the Escapist, can be shut down by any corporation that feels fit, as long as they can "prove" there is copyright material on the site, this can include images, music, videos, links to aforementioned items, etc.

Any site hosted or not hosted in the United States that has advertisers in the United States will be forced to stop doing business with the website in question, which can and will shut down the site do to lack of funding. See a lot of ADs from Google? Not anymore.

Also, as much as people will hate to admit this, United States has A LOT of power and say in other countries around the world. They have and will tell other countries to pass equally stupid laws in their own countries censoring the internet even more. Don't believe me? See '3 Strike' laws, all "encouraged" by the United States government to prevent online piracy in other countries.

Edit:
You what is the worst part of it? More money gets point into the economy via the internet then the entertainment industry this bill was set out to protect.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
That was really rather eloquent for something that's apparently off the top of your head. Bravo, good sir.

And everyone else needs to listen to Mr Sterling! He speaks the truth.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Therumancer said:
First thing is first.

Jim, I don't know how much your acting for effect but I think you overdid it a bit this time as you seemed a little bit off your rocker and a little incoherant at times.
That's because he wasn't acting.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
Sounds bad, could really screw things up. Some of the best stuff, jokes, material shut down. The Americans can't of course control the whole internet, they have never been able to do it thus far, beyond their jurisdiction; but they certainly can make things terrible for those within the world's greatest country (propaganda lol). So yeah Jim, really can feel your pain and anxiety here.

Redd the stock, cautionary messages from metal gear indeed.

GeneralFungi

Jul 1, 2010
As if companies don't ALREADY have enough power over their games, (A lot more then most other mediums have over their content) now they want to be able to delete things on a whim and mark off anyone involved in reviewing a game to be in the same league as someone who shoplifts their local game store?

This is completely unacceptable.

Even if this was used in a completely controlled and responsible manner, (not likely) I won't believe anyone who tells me that they WON'T abuse this power.

"Oh dear, a bad review. Oh look, gameplay footage! DELETE."

"Ah, a good review. Let's just pretend we never seen these pictures..."

It's nice to see that the people who fought for hundreds of years in a struggle for human rights is having ALL of their work undermined due to a single piece of paper threatening to take a lot of that away. If I lived in America I would SAY NO TO THIS SHIT.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
Fortunately we're not alone in this. Google, Yahoo, and Facebook are all avidly against this bill. Which shouldn't be too big of a surprise since they would all have something to lose. Still, it's nice to know that some of the big corporations are on our side for once.

Halcyone3

Mar 4, 2011
Game companies are not scared, no1 with that kind of money ever is. They are just plain and simple greedy as hell.

Vivace-Vivian

Apr 6, 2010
Making people aware is all well and good but what can we actually do?

Honestly, is there a way we can actually help stop this or will it just be a lot of angry faces in the internet crowd we're making?

Heck knows that probably won't change anything.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Out of curiosity when they say Sony and Nintendo are in on this is it specifically the American counterparts going for it? Like is it Nintendo of America being stupid like usually, or are the actual big wigs in Japan supporting it too?

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
this world is getting crazier by the minute. whats next, downloading games over steam will be a crime too???
are these companies so retarded that they think they lose money that way if youtube etc, shows videos of games? not every one buys magazines to checkout for the latest or upcoming games.
not for long and we will have this kind of crap as east germany over 20 years ago that you cant say anything about the system.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
I'm going to laugh when Obama passes this(or rather, does nothing to stop it since these guys are paying for it) and then cry when the internet dies because there is/was nothing that I could do.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
I'm not really surprised companies are jumping onto this bill, it gives them a lot of control and it's smart for them to support it, granted I don't agree with the bill and hope it doesn't pass but I'm not going to blame a company or person for supporting something that benefits them.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DisasterArea42 said:
Y'know, if it takes some exaggeration to point out the problem, he should go for it. The problem of this act is seriously dangerous for the internet as is. Companies would go crazy blocking sites left and right. Legislation like this shouldn't even be written. There are already copyright laws in place to punish the kind of things this act would be used to go after first. Piracy is a problem, but banning the internet isn't the way to stop it.
But fabricating a panic scenario simply makes him look like he's making shit up and undermines the problem.

Kintobor92

May 2, 2011
Draxyle said:
I really want to hear all the major videogame companies stand up and explain themselves for this insanity of supporting this self destructive bill.

It's absolutely frightening how powerful corporations have become in just the last few years, we don't need to give them any more. It's not even about money anymore, it's all about the control because that's all that's left that they can grasp for. I'm really losing hope in the process of reversing this horrible trend of putting all of the political power in the hands of a select few CEO's. You can't win against people who have near-limitless funds to destroy opposition.

Firefox had a thing on their front page where they'll send a canned email in your name to your representatives to tell them to not let this thing pass. I've already sent it in myself.

That makes me love Firefox SO MUCH. And I was already a fan.