Jimquisition: Sony, Nintendo, EA and SOPA

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
why on earth are companies like EA, Sony and Nintendo surporting this?

well in the case of EA (in case anyone doesnt know i hate EA atm which is why im targetting them in this post) we all know about the spyware part of Origins, but what some of you dont know is that as soon as you go on to EA's websites they cna veiw you computer's files, and its leagal for them as its in their terms for using the website (which you must go on their website to find).
Now imagine this bill is passed (somehow) assuming you're in america (thankfully im not)and gaming websites are unavaliable, so no reviews. EA could host these reviews on their sites but only host the good ones, they control what is said about their games, to increase sales, and can still make money off selling your personal info to other companies

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
surprisingly, I think I am the first to leave this here.

Seriously. Thank you Jim. Please keep doing this and saying what they do not want to hear.

One question, to those who say "why are you worried,It will never get enforced. Why would you willingly take that chance that it might if you didnt have to?

Ford-Prefect

Jun 26, 2008
Though not American there are things I can do. I will make a concious effort to avoid buying products from companies that supported that bill. I will try to inform friends and family of said companies desires to remove even more rights from law abiding honest consumers. I will actively encourage independents and cooperatively run publishers by purchasing their products.

That's all I can do, it probably drop in the ocean but from small acorns mighty oak grow.

However to do anything you need to make people care and for people to care you need to communicate to them so I applaud Mr Sterling for contributing to raising awareness. Now if only we could get a Face book campaign going, some virals on youtube a few choice tweets you know truly wield the power that these corporations wish to control.

Unfortunately easier said than done, most consumers (myself included) buy the hype, rather put up with then do without and prefer to be ignorant of the facts. The truth that free service are paid for by the personal data, or there high-street clothes manufactured by 3rd world children.

well that's my opinion voiced.

Oh and Jim I have enjoyed all of your videos on the escapist and I thank your gods for Jim Sterling

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
This is an honest question so please don't jump down my neck for being ignorant about the subject, but if this goes through would boycotting help?

If they're going to be dicks, we can be dicks as well.

Ishigami said:
I don't live in the USA so I don't give a fuck.
If it happens in America it WILL effect you. Like it or not, America is the biggest first-world nation on the planet and if they do something then other countries are going to follow their example.

Even if they don't, you're still not going to be able to have anything to do with copyrighted materials because a very large portion of the sites that require various types of media to run (Facebook, Flickr, ThatGuyWithTheGlasses, Machinema, Youtube, RoosterTeeth, Veoh, Newgrounds, DeviantART etc.) are going to vanish off of the web and cost people their jobs which will also have a knock-on effect on the economy, raising taxes and making products in your country all the more expensive.

This will also mess with domain names that share a similar syntax to any blocked website are also going to be shut down which will completely mess with internet security, search engine databases and, to top it off, it won't even put a dent in internet piracy in the slightest, so the act is completely pointless other than to make companies have even more control over your freedoms than they already have.

CaptainOctopus

Oct 5, 2011
Dear Jim.

I thank you for your existence, keep up the good work.

Best regards.
A relatively sane person of the planet earth.

PS. The people at Sony, Nintendo, EA and all the other companies that supports SOPA can go suck a bag of dicks.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
k-ossuburb said:
This is an honest question so please don't jump down my neck for being ignorant about the subject, but if this goes through would boycotting help?

If they're going to be dicks, we can be dicks as well.

Ishigami said:
If it happens in America it WILL effect you. Like it or not, America is the biggest first-world nation on the planet and if they do something then other countries are going to follow their example.
interesting concept here. in europe we have quite a few internet restrictions but these actually tend to take power away from coporations to keep people safe. yet this bill takes power away from people to keep coporations safe (somehow). would be interesting to see if europe follows

De Ronneman

Dec 30, 2009
I have actually done a bit of research into this bill for a Constitutional Law paper. It was about Constitutional supervision by judges, which the Netherlands might implement. I wanted to use it as an example of a law that has a nice idea behind it, but having dangerous consequences. The great idea being IP, but possible results being the ones Jim pointed out: Destructiod, the Escapist or any other gaming website would be screwed.

I didn't use it as an example, because it wasn't as much an example of a law with unforseen consequences, it was a piece of shitty legislation.

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
Yeah, the NC did a good post on this. With links to a site that helps you get in contact with your representatives and senators.

Haccy

Nov 22, 2011
This topic got me finally registered, yay!

I'm from Finland so I can't really contact the people making decisions over there, but what I did do was look up contact forms for Nintendo, Sony and EA (hardest one, I managed to contact them in way of a question about Sims3). These forms were via support pages and I used the appropriate US sites.

I then sent them each a short message stating that because of their actions concerning the SOPA bill I will no longer buy any of their products. I got extra satisfaction from Sony, because I might actually have bought a new Sony TV and a PS3 next year. Not anymore!

Throwing that there in case any other non-americans want to give consumer activism a try :)

exobook

Sep 28, 2011
While I will conside that this law is bad for the internet, I personly suspect that the situation is not a bad as it seems, the vague wording of the law makes it open to legal appeals that would probadly scupper the law entirely or make it useless.

The internet has reached the backlash moment in any medium when critics and detractors attempt to restrict or regulate it (think of the film and comic codes). It was inevitable that the internet would meet attempts at draconian enforcement at some point. This hasn't been the first (though one of the more restrictive) and it certainly won't be the last.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Wow, USA is in trouble. However, correct me if I'm wrong, this bill doesn't sit well with US law at all.
Sure, ban pirate and hacker sites. But first go to court, prove that they ARE actually indeed breaking law of your country and when court decides in your favor - then they will be banned.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
AsurasFinest said:
But its not a panic scenario. This is literally what will happen. There's no fabrication, no lies, nothing
I love how you just completely undercut the guy I replied to and basically half the thread with that.

However, yes it is a panic scenario. No, it is not literally what will happen. I suggest you look up the word "literal." People are using scare tactics to stir up a frenzy.

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
So, say the bill passes and it gets sorted in the States...

Surely everyone just hosts their sites abroad? I would be AMAZED if it passed but even if it did aren't there numerous, simple workarounds? The EU isn't likely to play along, we have some lobbying around here but most countries will wipe their arse with such a bill...

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
That was actually an impressive speech for an (as far as I know) untrained person. Speaking five minutes in a passinate tone without losing your train of thought.

Kudos for that

Sadly I am not an US-Citizen so all I could do to stop that bill would be flicking paper balls across the Atlantic.

MasterOfWorlds

Oct 1, 2010
Jim Sterling said:
Sony, Nintendo, EA and SOPA

The Stop Online Piracy Act may sound innocuous, but it's a nasty little proposition that gives corporations uncontested rights to control what you enjoy on the Internet. Naturally, being a horrible thing, EA can't wait to climb aboard, along with a number of other publishers. The Internet shouldn't be censored by cowardly companies who are afraid of it, and The Jimquisition urges you take note of what these organizations want to do.

Watch Video
Thank you for bringing this to the attention of myself and many of the gaming community. I've posted a message on my website about it as well, and while it's not much, hopefully, we'll be able to do something about this idiocy.

Spaceparanoid42

Oct 29, 2010
Ishigami said:
Do you use Youtube? Facebook? Google? Deviantart? TvTropes? 4chan? Wikipedia? This very site? If the answer to any of those is yes, (and it is in at least one case,) you SHOULD give a fuck, because they are all based in the USA, they all have copyrighted material, and they all will be shut down if this bill passes. Whether you live in the USA or not, this WILL effect you.

Hugga_Bear said:
So, say the bill passes and it gets sorted in the States...

Surely everyone just hosts their sites abroad? I would be AMAZED if it passed but even if it did aren't there numerous, simple workarounds? The EU isn't likely to play along, we have some lobbying around here but most countries will wipe their arse with such a bill...
Moving abroad wouldn't help much if "SOPA" or "Protect IP" is passed in congress. One of the provisions of the bills is that overseas websites can be blocked entirely from the USA if they violate copyright, so they can't reach American audiences one way or the other. I don't think companies like Google could afford to move abroad if they still can't get users in America. It's just too big a percentage of their traffic.

If any of these bullshit corporate copyright laws get passed, It will effect everyone everywhere, and not for the better. Anyone who supports free speech and free information on the web, anyone who doesn't want to see the entire internet censored needs to oppose these bills.

Kingsnake661

Dec 29, 2010
I can't belive the goverment would vote something like this into law during an election year. Esspecially democrats who tend to rely more heavly on the youth vote. This issue seems like it'd turn that vote against them, unless i'm miss reading my current political land scape, which is possible. I don't follow it very closesly.. *shrug*