Jimquisition: Sony's Begging For Piracy

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
immortalfrieza said:
Azuaron said:
immortalfrieza said:
This is the reason why, in the U.S. at least, monopolies are supposed to be illegal. However, due to copyright and patent law nobody but Sony is able to produce and distribute the PS3, Vita and it's games, which is a monopoly, but I never hear anybody being arrested for it.
That's not what "monopoly" means...
Copied from Dictionary.com

mo·nop·o·ly
   [muh-nop-uh-lee]

noun, plural mo·nop·o·lies.
exclusive control of a commodity or service in a particular market, or a control that makes possible the manipulation of prices. Compare duopoly, oligopoly.

an exclusive privilege to carry on a business, traffic, or service, granted by a government.

the exclusive possession or control of something.

something that is the subject of such control, as a commodity or service.

a company or group that has such control.

Which is what I said, maybe not in those exact words but I did say it. So yes, Sony and similar companies are in fact monopolies because nobody else is allowed to produce and distribute any system or game that they created and still possess the rights and patents to.
That still isn't a monopoly. The very fact that Microsoft and Nintendo exist in tandem with Sony doing the same thing shows that the market isn't a monopoly. Nobody is stopping ma and pop from making their own systems, with their own propriety games to sell on the market.

Simply having force in the industry isn't enough to be considered a monopoly. Sony has no power to tell Nintendo, Ouya, Microsoft, Nvidia, who the fuck ever to stop making consoles/handhelds with exclusive games. Nor do they share such a large share of the market (ala Microsoft in the 1980-90s) that they pretty much do own total control of the market.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Entitled said:
The PS Vita is a market.
No it's not. The PS Vita is a product of the gaming handheld market.

A market it shares with the Nintendo 3DS, Android, and other similar tablet companies.