Jimquisition: Stupid Sexy Bayonetta

Jimothy Sterling

Apr 18, 2011
Stupid Sexy Bayonetta

A discussion on why it's cool to like Bayonetta, and why it's cool not to.

Watch Video

sturryz

Nov 17, 2007
it's nice just to be able and sit down, and just talk about games and not worry about the silly industry for a change. Don't you think so Jim?

VoidOfOne

Aug 14, 2013
Great video, as always, Mr. Sterling! I also agree, that I really enjoy Bayonetta as a character, while acknowledging that not everyone has the same opinion, and their opinions are just as valid as mine. Not everyone has to have the same opinion, and shouldn't feel bad on whether they like Bayonetta or not.

And also, I stop listening to others when they first denounce harassment and death threats, and then throw in a "however." Makes the point void, and reduces the person's credibility.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
50 seconds in and I already feel the need to point of that everyone that uses #gamergate/#stopgamergate has about the same amount of perspective, none whatsoever.

Post watching:
After watching the video I feel the need to point out to Sterling that when you are negatively criticizing one side's problems, but never the other side's, you come off like a supporter of the other side.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Yeah, I loved the original Bayonetta and, judging from the reviews I've read at least, will probably love Bayonetta 2. But that "Operation Bayonetta 2" thing was laughably pathetic.

Can't wait for Friday though! :D

Might tide myself over by picked up Legend Of Korra too. I'm not quite sure what we've done to deserve two Platinum games in one week, but I love it.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
VoidOfOne said:
And also, I stop listening to others when they first denounce harassment and death threats, and then throw in a "however." Makes the point void, and reduces the person's credibility.
It's similar to those who say, "I'm not racist but...". No no, just stop there. It doesn't excuse you from being racist so just stop. I ignore them best I can.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Most definitely agree about not sticking the "however..." on, though I think the cliche is "but...".

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
I don't really see the character as anything other then a fetishistic character... i don't see anything redeemable about her... and of course being on wii u means I don't have to which is nice since I wasn't suckered into buying the dreamcast 2.. i mean.. Wii u and have no plans to.. BUT....if another player want's to enjoy bayonetta, go for it I guess.. if you can find a reason to like the game's character then good, everyone likes different things so I say enjoy.. just keep her away from me.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
All those jackasses participating in "Operation Bayonetta 2" could have taken that chance to let Nintendo know that they want more games like this. That they want Nintendo to go to games that are in a bit of a bad spot and give them the money needed to see the light of day like Bayo 2 or Devil's Third. But no. TEH EBUL SJW HOARDS MUST BE STOPPED! But then again, a lot of these people won't actually get the game because a lot of them were most likely screeching "teh wiiu iz inferior hardware" until this happened.

As for Bayonetta herself, I do think she's a good character with a few problematic things in the presentation. Nothing wrong with admitting something you like could have some less-than-perfect things.

And yes, "I don't condone harassment, however..." is the new "I'm not racist, but..."

Mastemat

Jul 18, 2010
I agree 100%.
I find Bayonetta to be a "strong female character" according to her actions and the plot and the story and all that...
But I find the presentation to be........................... too stripper.

Sort of how I find District 1 in the Hunger Games movies to be extremely homophobic...
Like I realize that rich opulence isn't inherently gay. (gay man anyways)
But the way the movies present rich opulence is.... just to make everyone look like drag queens and act like the stereotypical gay man or "poof".

Which, much like Bayonetta's presentation, has some intrinsic and problematic social ramifications.

Iluvatar21

Apr 22, 2014
15 min late. Are you serious? I've seen this happenning a lot of times before. At least be honest when you post it, because it's not perfectly o'clock.

mada7

May 14, 2009
I very much agree with the idea that if you go with a bonkers enough setup you can get away with anything Bayonetta is obviously very gratuitous in its sexuality but this is game where giant hair monsters beat up "angels" which are actually 50 feet tall dragons with baby faces. To me it's kinda like those 80s and 90s action movies where you accept that Arnold Schwarzenegger can throw a saw blade hard enough to chop off someone's head because earlier you saw him lift up a phone booth with someone in it and flipped a car with he bare hands

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I don't have an opinion on Bayonetta as I haven't played the original & don't intend on buying a Wii U.

tm96

Feb 1, 2014
Jim I must I applaud you not just for the title but for the title.
Mr. Omega said:
All those jackasses participating in "Operation Bayonetta 2" could have taken that chance to let Nintendo know that they want more games like this. That they want Nintendo to go to games that are in a bit of a bad spot and give them the money needed to see the light of day like Bayo 2 or Devil's Third. But no. TEH EBUL SJW HOARDS MUST BE STOPPED! But then again, a lot of these people won't actually get the game because a lot of them were most likely screeching "teh wiiu iz inferior hardware" until this happened.

As for Bayonetta herself, I do think she's a good character with a few problematic things in the presentation. Nothing wrong with admitting something you like could have some less-than-perfect things.

And yes, "I don't condone harassment, however..." is the new "I'm not racist, but..."
This would have happened if people remembered that 7.5 is not that bad a score and the reviewer's opinion could just be ignored, left in the ether and enjoy a quality product. Also yeah Operation Bayonetta. Just why?

Rellik San

Feb 3, 2011
I take exception to the "I denounce death threats and harassment however..." because that however could be: "I'm about to make a brew and a butty so can we discuss this more in 5 minutes." IS an acceptable clause to add... man the number of brews I've been denied because an internet argument has suddenly engaged me and I've gotten involved... and then I get angry because I've not had my cup of tea and I'm upset... we should end this white washing of tea harassment by the coffee drinking beverage-archy with their coffee already brewed in percolators.

#cuppagate.
(Please don't take that seriously, I'm not comparing being denied a delicious hot beverage to justification of harassment in anything more than a satirical sense).

On to the video itself, you raise a good point sir. I do agree, it's perfectly fine to dislike something for any reason (except Pacific Rim, if you don't like that you're a soulless husk of a being), but this also ties into the meta-critic debate and over all, the prevention of aggregate scores in general, something I feel strongly on, a review should stand on the writers merits and tastes and not on a pseudo-rating of "7 out of 10 because of reasons" (substitute reasons with mechanical, design, thematic or artistic opinion).

I guess it's more accurate to say, I don't feel attaching a score to something can accurately represent a nuanced well crafted opinion in favour of/against something, I think it cheapens the authorial intent and adds undue pressure onto the industry, but having never been an industry writer, I'm coming at this from an outsiders perspective, so take my opinion (but not your tea) with a pinch of salt.

But that's a whole other debate and I know you're mostly in favour of scores Jimothy.

Paradox SuXcess said:
It's similar to those who say, "I'm not racist but...". No no, just stop there. It doesn't excuse you from being racist so just stop. I ignore them best I can.
Again I'd add a caveat, "I'm not racist but... how much is this stereo and what's the trade in price on my old one." is a perfectly acceptable statement to make in any society, as demonstrated by wonderful cross dressing heavy metal comedian Andrew O'Niel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrgygfwnCJ0

VoidOfOne

Aug 14, 2013
Iluvatar21 said:
15 min late. Are you serious? I've seen this happening a lot of times before. At least be honest when you post it, because it's not perfectly o'clock.
Interesting, because I got it at 9:00 am on the dot.

Supposed it's to be expected, considering the different regions everyone is in.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Hey, she's a witch, after all. They're all about some lovely sex.

I feel that the root problem is that people have attached far too much of their identity and feeling of self-worth into certain games, or gaming as a whole. I imagine that is why having a problem with a detail in a game can be interpreted as an all-out attack. That isn't exactly helped by the odd tendencies towards binary exclusives. All is well or everything's gone to hell. A game is great or a game is shite. Tens and twos.

Now, since those Leifeldian monsters flashed by, I shall go blind myself.

Coreless

Aug 19, 2011
Love the progressive mentality when it comes to twisting narratives, now you aren't even aloud to speak your mind anymore because now you have to frame any conversation in a way they demand or they won't even listen to you lol. So much for freedom of speech and due process because if they can cut you off before you speak or are even get a chance to defend yourself then they win by default.

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
Never played Bayonetta, PC master race and all that,but I agree that developers should be allowed to create a character like that. Its simple artistic freedom.