Jimquisition: The Beautiful Irony of PC Gaming

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
My PC has been my main focus for gaming in the last couple months.

My last 3 games I bought/played:

Dungeon Keeper 2 (Good memories that still hold up today, nostalgia be damned)
Evil Genius(still on my to play list)
Baldur's Gate II (I'm severely late to this party)

[sub]Also Witcher 1, but that doesn't follow the trend of the other games I listed...[/sub]

Swifty714 said:
Still, console gaming is cheaper. Not trying to undercut PC gaming and its apparent low standards for most popular games. However, even buying a decent rig, can sometimes cost a lot of money for someone who isn't used to shelling out $300+ dollars just so they can run something on mid to low quality. In that case, I rather just stick with the same console for eight years, then pay $120 dollars for the next console that holds my interest, or the next generation has come out.
I don't know... I bought the PS3 when the 80GB version came out and that cost me $699. Not sure what new console your buying that only cost $120 unless your getting it used or through some special retailer online.

Poisoned Al

Feb 16, 2008
While refreshing, I'm amazed that Jim didn't mention "that" pig-ugly success story. Anyway, nicesssssssss video this week.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
One thing that bears mentioning (and that people keep forgetting) is that you don't need a massively overpowered machine to run new games at console-level graphics. People are always whining that PCs that can run the newest games at max settings cost so much more than a console, but that's a retarded argument - of course they do! And the game will look much better. However, if you wanted to run a game at the graphical level of a 360 or a PS3, you don't need to sacrifice your child to the dark gods. My 4 year old PC which was kinda crap when I bought it runs everything that comes out nowdays. It's got a GeForce 9500 and a plain 2.2GHz Dual Core processor and it runs Witcher 2, Crysis 2, Deus Ex:HR, Shogun 2, etc.

Elyxard

Dec 12, 2010
As an avid PC gamer myself, I'm glad to see these points made. Graphical power is one of the least important things about owning a gaming PC.

It's flexibility, availability, and control over games (when developers don't put laughable DRM on them) is what makes the PC great. People wonder if we'll ever see a universal console, but the PC already is one. I have reverse compatibility that goes back to the creation of videogames; that is a big deal. It's a console that greatly helps preserve the history of this medium.

That said, nothing wrong with console gaming. A majority of my purchases are still console based.

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
I love PC gaming because anyone can fucking do it. People who get games consoles almost certainly have computers as well. Why not use the money to buy a slightly better computer? Even that is likely to be unnecessary. My laptop cost about £500 (and it's only that expensive because I felt I needed a 17" screen) 2 years ago and it runs anything I want, though admittedly I never tried to run the Witcher 2 on it. I'm thinking about getting a new one now though I could probably keep going with this one for the next couple of years anyway.

Plus, unlike the 360, I can play Portal or Plants vs Zombies when I'm on a long train journey.

Wanna play L4D2 round at a mates house? I just take my laptop with me. Seriously, laptop gaming is by far the best.

Bluecho

Dec 30, 2010
I've recently come into PC gaming, and I can say for certain that (most) of Jim Sterling's points are spot on. My "gaming rig" is my laptop, and I've been able to play some pretty fun games on it so far, with a miniscule budget of zero no less. And really, the only way this has hindred my experience is that playing TF2 gets incredibly laggy at times.

On a laptop. If anyone out there complains about needing a powerful system to run their games right, just remember that I can play Team Fortress 2 on a laptop and only then does it give me problems. If you have a competant gaming machine that's not a laptop, you can have a fun time on the PC.

Lastly, I for one thank God for Jim Sterling. You wonderful, wonderful man.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Im not going to lie, i thought he was just going to lift everything from the handguard up and reveal a standard size ball point pen on the inside.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
I couldn't disagree more. Sure, quite a few people do PC gaming for graphics. I do it because it is easier/possible to mod your games where as most consoles are difficult/impossible to mod because Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo don't like players doing that at all. I'm not saying all PC games are modded and that instantly makes them better. But I like having that option for custom levels. Custom skins. Custom challenges, and so on. That's also why I like Valve games so much because all the authoring tools are available for free for some rather fun community grade content. Stuff you can't get on any console.

Steam sales (going on Valve again) are also a highlight of PC gaming. No where other than steam would I have been able to get Arkham Asylum or KOTOR for $7.50 or less. (maybe Kotor now, but still).

Then take a look at Nintendo when it comes to Modifying Smash Bros and using the Homebrew Channel. Nintendo dislikes this so much (the latter part anyway), that they will update their Wii Menu just to delete that stuff. I don't appreciate Nintendo telling me what I can and can't do with my console after I paid money for it. It's mine and they can just deal with it.

That's my two cents on the issue. Graphics? Fuck em. I'm all about the mods.

Itsthefuzz

Apr 1, 2010
I've always been a PC gamer, and though I will probably drop 700-800 on a high end computer for Skyrim... I could still keep using this one for a while and still play Skyrim on lower graphics and all the games I love.

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
Swifty714 said:
Still, console gaming is cheaper.
Except no, because you have to actually buy a console. Pretty much everyone already has a computer. Including you I assume, unless you posted from your phone or something.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Jim... I love you.

That was brilliant.

Can't really add more then that.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Wouldn't it have been more appropriate to thank the God-Emperor this time around?

Good episode. I've been recommending services like Steam and GOG for years because of their libraries of older games that you can buy on the cheap, with next to no compatibility issues to boot. I play console games as well, but it can be inconvenient sometimes to drag an older system out of the closet just for nostalgia's sake.

Xardas5

Nov 9, 2009
THANK YOU O LORD JIM, THANK YOU.
Finally someone who understands what makes PC gaming so awesome

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
LostTimeLady said:
Excellent video. Jim's best so far in my opinion. As someone who's most up to date piece of gaming hardware is a 2 year old laptop I often get scared off by the PC gamer graphics wars. But! When actually getting down to it in the end the games I want to play are the games that run just fine on my laptop (even if it means setting minecraft to fast graphics and making the draw distance tiny when the processor starts to chug a bit) and the fact that I was hesetant was silly.

Also, cheers Jim for pointing out that for backwards compatability alone, PC gaming is a no brainer.

*contemplates playing old lucas arts games...*
By "old lucas arts games", KotOR? I've discovered that my year-old, 1.6ghz netbook can run it. HELLS YEAH!!!

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
I like PC gaming for certain types of games, and although graphics wise if you shell out for it you an probably get the best graphics on your pc (in comparison to a console), I love pc gaming for the modding community.

Lykosia_v1legacy

Feb 17, 2010
Well, Jim. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by your video. You have said and wrote so much BS about PC gaming that when I saw the title, I was a little bit afraid. But you actually made some good points this time. Good work.

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
Jim uses a lot of logical fallacies and very deceptive arguing, doesn't he? He's INCREDIBLY fond of straw men. I don't think anyone would say graphics are super important on PC exclusives, many of which he cited to construct his argument, but graphics are most certainly important when comparing the PC and console version of a multiplat. I'd like to see Jim do the same video, but using only multiplats to support his argument. Odds say his little thesis would fall flat on its face.

Graphics are one of the biggest reasons to play a multiplat on PC, which is something he totally and absolutely neglected. He used a straw man in the form of graphically unimpressive PC exclusives, aka where no one cares about graphics. He didn't refute the central point, however. Overall.... a pretty poor episode.

Father Time said:
I think that's the HD release of Serious Sam although I don't know for sure.
No it isn't. That's Serious Sam 3.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Father Time said:
Baneat said:
sir.rutthed said:
Error 200 Stream not found. Please fix.
Works just fine.

A: What's that big sword?
B: What's that game that looked like Serious Sam but had a few weapons I haven't seen?
Serious sam 3

But HD release of Serious sam 1st 2nd is awesome.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Stall said:
Jim uses a lot of logical fallacies and very deceptive arguing, doesn't he? I don't think anyone would say graphics are super important on PC exclusives, many of which he cited to construct his argument, but they are most certainly important when comparing the PC and console version of a multiplat. I'd like to see Jim do the same video, but using only multiplats to support his argument. Odds say his little thesis would fall flat on its face/

Father Time said:
No it isn't. That's Serious Sam 3.
I think you just missed the entire point of the video...

He said.

1. People tend to think of graphics when they think of pc gaming.
2. Lots of awesome pc games arent graphic intensive.

He never argued graphics were/werent "important". So wheres the fallacies?