Jimquisition: The Beautiful Irony of PC Gaming

Tempest13

Aug 23, 2010
How do you keep pulling me and and pleasantly surprising me with such great writing? Oh wait it's you.

Swifty714

Jun 1, 2011
varulfic said:
Swifty714 said:
Still, console gaming is cheaper.
Except no, because you have to actually buy a console. Pretty much everyone already has a computer. Including you I assume, unless you posted from your phone or something.

Except yes, Console gaming is still cheaper.

People that have been posting, have said the have been paying 200 euro or more, just to get an upgrade. My Xbox 360 lasted me 4 years before I finally needed to 'upgrade' which even then only costed me $140 dollars at the local shop.

Also, not all computers are designed to run games. Mine is just a general purpose laptop.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I find it ironic that you were saying how PC gaming's biggest strength wasn't graphics while showing some fucking gorgeous games and kind of convincing me a little that it was.

It isn't, of course, but still. Eye-gasm.

ruben6f

Mar 8, 2011
I disagree, I will use S.T.A.L.K.E.R games as an example, sure they are great with the lowest settings ( the ones I play with *cries) but if you play with the highest settings or with a mod that makes the game look even better then the game becomes immersive and scary.

Yes there are awsome titles on PC that don't need graphics but good graphics create a feeling of immersion that can only be found on PC.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I would like to have that chainsword. I would carry it around everywhere.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
You know what always has and always will appeal to me about PC gaming?

The simplest, most overlooked aspect: keyboard and mouse controls.

That's it.

Now granted, there are times when I go PC gaming for the exclusives, or because of Steam deals, or because my fat box of an SD TV has trouble making text readable with newer games (*cough*MassEffect2*cough*), but overall, it's just that I prefer certain games to have a keyboard and mouse control scheme.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Thank God for PC games that don't require a powerhouse to run (and also for Jim, of course). I'll be in Japan for the next year with only my sort-of-okay laptop to satisfy my gaming needs and missing a lot of the big console exclusives that would normally be taking the next few months of my time as a result (I still weep at the thought of waiting a year for Dark Souls). Grabbing a lot of weird, often inexpensive stuff off Steam and GOG has been a godsend for dealing with the situation. Having said that, though, I don't think I'll ever be primarily a PC gamer because most of the games I really get into don't come to PC and wouldn't be that great with a mouse and keyboard, anyway.

Hobonicus

Feb 12, 2010
Jandau said:
One thing that bears mentioning (and that people keep forgetting) is that you don't need a massively overpowered machine to run new games at console-level graphics.
THANK YOU. I constantly hear people say they won't get the PC version of a game because they wouldn't be able to max it out, when even not maxed it would still probably look better than the console version. I absolutely don't understand the obsession with max graphics or nothing.

Also, I built a $1200 computer almost five years ago, have never upgraded, and it can still max out most new games as long as I turn the anti-aliasing down.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Hobonicus said:
Jandau said:
One thing that bears mentioning (and that people keep forgetting) is that you don't need a massively overpowered machine to run new games at console-level graphics.
THANK YOU. I constantly hear people say they won't get the PC version of a game because they wouldn't be able to max it out, when even not maxed it would still probably look better than the console version. I absolutely don't understand the obsession with max graphics or nothing.

Also, I built a $1200 computer almost five years ago, have never upgraded, and it can still max out most new games as long as I turn the anti-aliasing down.
Not exactly maxing out then is it?

CManator

Nov 8, 2010
I'll admit to being misinformed about PC gaming and Jim has indeed enlightened me. It's probably because everybody I know who games on their PC is constantly upgrading and bragging about it, and those who have a low end PC don't really game with it.

Well guess i'll find out soon enough. A friend is giving me their old PC for free and I'll be seeing what I can do with it.

Still, I will most likely be primarily a console gamer. Frankly I don't see how a mouse and keyboard can possibly be preferable to a controller. (though i'm sure pc gamers feel the opposite)

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
ruben6f said:
I disagree, I will use S.T.A.L.K.E.R games as an example, sure they are great with the lowest settings ( the ones I play with *cries) but if you play with the highest settings or with a mod that makes the game look even better then the game becomes immersive and scary.

Yes there are awsome titles on PC that don't need graphics but good graphics create a feeling of immersion that can only be found on PC.
Well, of course the graphics are important but they arent the only thing and STALKER also proves his point, it is a more open minded game with a lot of stuff that is out of the ordinary (like bleeding, the dificulty of the game, some gameplay mechanics, etc).

That is why when pc gamers cry that a game has been tweaked for consoles (although a lot of times they dont have reasons for such claims) they mean that the game will be more basic and less innovative. Console games will usually hold the players hand while PC games (not all of them of course, but having STALKER as an example) will say "FUCK YOU" and drop the player in a game that is hard to master (Witcher 2 is like this too).

zerobudgetgamer

Apr 5, 2011
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but: Emulation.

I know I've seen 360's that can support it, and I'm not sure about PS3's, but Emulation both started and is at its strongest on the PC. And you wanna talk about true gems that are neither graphically astonishing or requiring a $3k computer to run, go no further. I have a 5-year old laptop, 512 MB RAM, about 1.6 GHz processor, and it can run SNES, N64 and PS1 Emulators without fail. If not for Emulation, I'd never have been able to play Earthbound, Xenogears, Seiken Densetsu 3, Banjo-Tooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day, the list goes on.

Not only is Emulation a great way to access the gems of the past, but it's also a VERY cheap way. Like I said, you don't need a whole lot of processing power to run emulators - a modern bargain-bin computer or equivalent older computer will do - and pretty much all of the ROMs on the Internet are completely free. I'm sure there will always be the nagging uncertainty of legality when it comes to emulation, but then most sites are pretty clear on what they can and can't offer. For instance, I believe ever since Nintendo started releasing their older games in their WiiShop, most ROM sites have had to take down various Mario and Donkey Kong properties. But that's a drop in the bucket compared to how much else is out there! If there's an older game you've always been wondering about, grab an Emulator, the ROM, and a PC Controller and have fun!

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Doom is awesome. In fact, I did the same thing when I first got a 360. I stumbled across Doom in the XBLA, bought it, and played that while the new 360 games I had also bought sat somewhere still in their plastic wrap. And this is after I'd already played it countless times on PC and still had it there. And later I bought the Doom Complete Pack on Steam because it was on sale even though I only wanted Doom 3, Doom 3 RoE, and Master Levels for Doom 2. ...Some might say I have a problem, but fuck those people, it's Doom!

Anyway, I expected to hear "mods" or "keyboard+mouse", not graphics. If that's what some people want then. But whatever, I've been playing fine so far on a computer that's getting rather old now. I'll probably need to upgrade around the time where the heavy graphics get standard as new consoles come out and they push that tech further, but for now I can run even newer games pretty well so I'm happy. I want to upgrade more for better video editing and rendering power rather than games.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Hobonicus said:
bombadilillo said:
Not exactly maxing out then is it?
I think you missed the point of my post.
I think YOU missed the point of asserting you can max graphics with the described rig, except you can't. So you made a point then disproved it.

Anyway whatever. I want challanging your point

It was just funny to hear. I CAN MAX THIS. EXCEPT THE SETTINGS ARENT ON MAX.