Jimquisition: The Beautiful Irony of PC Gaming

realslimshadowen

Aug 28, 2010
Whenevr I see Jim, I think he looks a lot like Jim Cornette, which means he surprises me whenever he opens his mouth. If I saw his scripts I could imagine them in Cornettevoice and be twice as entertained.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Good video.

Also, next time someone says to me "the pen is mightier than the sword" and I just so happen to be wielding a large sword, I'm going to have to use Jim's line there.

This is what I write with!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I love Recettear. Of course, I'm mostly a "console kiddie," but a lot of my PC titles would run on my old setup, which was a powerfully dated machine. And yes, that was awesome.

I need to upgrade my power supply and graphics card to handle some of the games I DO want, but they are not the majority of the titles I enjoy.

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
That was nice, kinda expected console bashing there....
Well done JS!

Off Topic: A: What's that big sword.... It's a chainsword, not Relic like a lot of people for some stupid reason is saying....

karamazovnew

Apr 4, 2011
I like Jim's videos, but I can't understand the point of this particular one. It's not that I don't agree with what he says, but I can't think of anyone who'd disagree with it.

To say that you play PC games because they have better graphics than consoles is simply stupid, for one sole reason: there isn't much of a difference. Sure, we had Crysis 1 and Witcher 2 which really were GOOD, but the rest of the AAA titles don't come even close. I have a 4 year old Quad Core with 4 gigs of DDR2 and a DirectX 10 GTX275 (my old 8800 ultra burned out). And I can still play most games at maximum settings, at full HD resolution. Back in the good old days, after 4 years, a PC couldn't run ANY new games, let alone at decent framerate. Ok, I did spend a LOT on my PC but I never expected it to last so long and so well. And I see no point in upgrading 2 years from now on. Heck, 6 years is a good life cycle even for consoles. We've come to a point where technology needs to actually slow down, to allow games to catch up. And they've already hit a level of graphics that makes them very expensive both in money and time. That's why we have so many series of games (CoD) and so many indie games. People now spend money on design, not polygon count. It's why Bastion looks so damn well. Back in 2000, I used to drool at screenshots of upcoming games. I can now watch almost photorealistic previews of Battlefield 3 and not give a damn about graphics. Ok, again, we did have Crysis, but the problem is that even now Crysis is the best looking game ever made. Show's over, at least for a while. Maybe the next-next generation of Nvidia cards will force the gaming industry, who knows?

So no, the beautiful irony of PC gaming is that even with the motion controllers (Wii, Kinect, Move), nothing can ever beat a keyboard and a mouse. The same things we use to write reports and spreadsheets are still the best for gaming. Console games are perfectly fine for gamepads, I actually play many of them on PC (Darksiders, PoP) with a good gamepad. But shooters, strategy games and simulators are the main reason I haven't switched to consoles, not graphics.

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
Baneat said:
sir.rutthed said:
Error 200 Stream not found. Please fix.
Works just fine.

A: What's that big sword?
B: What's that game that looked like Serious Sam but had a few weapons I haven't seen?

Thanks to the 9 people that have answered this question, you can stop now!

1. it's not that it don't run, you just need to reload a few time... I'm guessing that it's the flood of people trying to access the vid, and we hit the limit... again... reload the page a few times...

2. I WANT AN IMPERIAL CHAIN SWORD (Warhammer4000, look it up! it came B4 GoW by like a few decades!)!!!! DAMN!!!~~~~ WHERE YOU GET THAT BABY?!

3. Serious Sam 3... coming out this year.. I think... but i don't like it too much... because it's got too many "realistic" weapons... looks like Sam is joining the "normal weapons" club... I sad...

4. Totally agreed, I felt the same way PC gaming was all about BACKWARD, Tweak, Twitch, and Fearless(shameless) STYLIZATION!~

5. and yes... I'll look in to "EYE".....

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
I bought a brand new PC a few days ago, and I've been only playing dwarf fortress on it yet. Weird...

floobie

Sep 10, 2010
PC gaming certainly has its appeal, and it certainly goes beyond graphics. My gaming PC is over three years old, I've only upgraded the RAM to 4gb, and it can still handle most games well enough. But, at this point, I just don't care about most of what PC gaming has to offer anymore. I played nothing but PC games for 15 years or so. I do "get it". I don't really have the time to play every interesting indie title or mod that's out there. I flat-out don't play multiplayer games. I have other hobbies. So, I tend to stick to the AAA titles that interest me, or older, cheap AAA titles that I didn't have time to get around to before. And, for my purposes, those AAA titles work just as well on my PS3 as they do on my gaming PC. Hell, it's usually significantly easier.

I do agree, though. A lot of the greatest PC games ever aren't very graphically intensive at all. And that works out just fine for me. I don't need a dedicated gaming PC anymore. My Macbook can run any source engine game to my satisfaction, SC2, definitely Torchlight... so, I'm covered. Completely writing off PC gaming is a bit excessive. But, I think it's reasonable enough to not make it one's "primary" gaming system.

So, really, use what works best for you. If you appreciate the benefits of PC gaming, do your gaming on a PC. Pretty simple.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
I'm surprised he didn't mention Minecraft.

There's a game with NOT beautiful graphics that PC gamers have been all over.

wheelchairman2

Sep 5, 2009
thank the god emperor for you jim

another series that could only ever exist on pc, ArmA, a balls out hardcore milsim fps that is genuinely scary, but every release is so buggy it normally takes the community six months or so to make it playable, would console gamers stand for that? of course not, but many pc gamers see such things as opportunities rather than annoyances, and that's what makes the pc gaming community unique, among other things

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Great video!! Absolute truth about PC gaming right there.

*hides GTX 580 SLi*

Chris646

Jan 3, 2011
AC10 said:
Additionally, Recettear actually does require a pretty powerful computer because it was optimized like absolute shit.
I have a pretty crappy PC and I can run Recettear just fine. I just had to mess around in the options for a bit, disable some things, but it runs decently.

OT:
I think that Jim made a bunch of very good points. Good job.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Vigormortis said:
Kakulukia said:
Vigormortis said:
Can you play [...] every PS1 game on your PS3? I thought not.
Yes you can. You should have gone with PS2 in your example... :p

OT: Good points, but I still prefer consoles, more specifically the PS3, because its exclusives are fucking awesome. And my shitty laptop can play most of the games he mentioned in the video, so I'm only missing out on games that do require a massive rig. And they mostly don't interest me.
Actually, thank you for pointing that out. That's actually what I meant. I should probably fix that in the original post.

bombadilillo said:
So your arguement about price gets blown away and you pretend that wasnt the point at all??

Funny because you post was entirely about price, nice try but changing the subject does not work. You know what I have? I got a n64 and NES all hooked up to a crt in my garage, so yeah, I CAN play all those old games too. So You can argue convenience, but I still don't have to buy SMB 3 again. ;)

The point stands, you pay 50$ a new release that I can rent for dirt cheep. So in the long, short and medium runs, console is cheaper. Try and refute that without wondering off on tangents.
I'm sorry but, is this a joke? This has to be a joke. It's almost like you're not even reading or really responding to my, or even your own, original post. Either that or you're just trolling me. I'm thinkin' the latter.

It's funny to me that, after addressing every point you try to counter me with, you just try to pass it off as me "changing the subject". Seems to me you have no reasonable argument or counter-point and are just defaulting to repeating yourself and insulting me. At the same time, you only reenforce my point.

You have Super Mario Bros 3? Good for you. So do I. I guess we can both go and play it again. But what about, say, something more recent? Or even something a year or so old? Let's go back and play Batman: Arkham Asylum. I'm sorry, what's that? You only rented it back then? Oh, that's a shame. I guess you'll have to pay for it again if you want to play along. Gee, seems to me you're gonna pay more to play it over time than I paid to get it once and play forever.

But, this is all moot. I said this exact same thing in my first post but you either over looked it, didn't comprehend it, or just actively ignored it because you had no reasonable retort except to repeat yourself and say I was "wondering off on tangents". And, frankly, I expect the same thing to occur with this post. Either way, I'm just going to ignore you.

Oh, and by the way. Saying you can still go back and play SMB3 doesn't help your case buddy. You bought that game back in the day. That's why you can go back and play it again. If you had only rented it, you'd be s.o.l.

[edit] Upon taking a quick glance at your profile, I notice you're already up to six ticks in your forum health meter. Why does this not surprise me?
Yep everyone who proves you wrong is trolling. You are just that awesome. Man I wish I was you.