Jimquisition: The Beautiful Irony of PC Gaming

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Da Orky Man said:
ms_sunlight said:
Da Orky Man said:
By "old lucas arts games", KotOR? I've discovered that my year-old, 1.6ghz netbook can run it. HELLS YEAH!!!
I bought KotOR off Steam and am replaying it RIGHT NOW. +1!!!

But I'll see your KotOR and raise you Loom. LOOM!!!!!!
Say hi to Bastila for me.

I see your Loom, and raise you The Curse of Monkey Island.
I don't know how far this has gone, but I see your Curse of Monkey Island (still one of my all time favorite games) and raise you Space Quest 1! Muahahahaha.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
The most hysterical thing to me about all the bloviating you read on the internet on the great "PC vs Console" flame war of doom, is that the future is PC gaming.

It's just not the PC gaming we are used to calling "PC Gaming".

Already with systems like Onlive, you'll be seeing more remote gaming sessions streamed to either a television via a set top box, or more likely, as an application that you download for free on your home computer that you use for school or work.

The technology for this already exists and is being implemented as we speak. There are geographically located virtualization farms out there that run these virtual machines for remote access and modifying this into a game subscription model isn't the work of sci-fi, it's just a matter of time.

I know it bugs the hell out of a lot of people, but consoles and especially physical media are on their way out. It won't happen in the next few years, but within the next decade or so, I see it being the business model that publishers are exclusively pushing because it eliminates both piracy and their profit sharing with retailers and distributors.

Never underestimate the power of market forces.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
I might be missing the point, but all I got from Jim today was that "PC gaming is much more versatile". It can do the high-end graphics stuff, as well as run some smaller developer titles that are awesome sauce, including old school titles through emulators and wrappers and thing.

Torchlight is fantastic and even has a netbook mode. And yes, upgrading my computer to play Witcher 2 was nowhere near as expensive as I thought it would be, and I had to upgrade everything from motherboard up - RAM, GPU, CPU, PSU (my, what a bunch of 3-letter acronyms).

But yeah, granted not everyone has the know-how to do this properly and affordably. I notice that also as some developers get more ambitious in keeping up with PC, they push those framerates quite hard, and playing at 720p on my xbox gets a bit jaggy at times. I mean still very playable, just not quite as smooth and fast as PC, but maybe I notice that more since I have my PC hooked up to the TV.

Sep 14, 2009
AC10 said:
Additionally, Recettear actually does require a pretty powerful computer because it was optimized like absolute shit.
capitalism hooo!

i felt that was necessary right there...

OT: nice, i usually don't watch these but was slightly intrigued, and liked it. Def will check out more in the future.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Soooooooo, Jim worships Slaanesh right?

Anyway good vid, haters gonna hate etc. etc.

Estocavio

Aug 5, 2009
Matthew94 said:
Great video, but I hated eye. It was a buggy piece of shit and infinite respawning really pisses me off when a fucking attack chopper comes at you every minute along with rocket launcher wielding goons.

Now if only console players would listen to this video...

You don't need to upgrade a PC every year and it doesn't cost thousands for a PC. Also the games are cheaper.

The mis-information annoys me.
I never had Any bugs in EYE whatsoever. Not even One.
Its certainly not a Game that holds your Hand, but the game isnt about the Player - The Warfare is seperate to you. But then, ive heard others who get Crashes every 2 feet.

Heh

OT: It is Nice that Stereotypes can be cleared out from time to time.

Danzavare

Oct 17, 2010
Matthew94 said:
Great video, but I hated eye. It was a buggy piece of shit and infinite respawning really pisses me off when a fucking attack chopper comes at you every minute along with rocket launcher wielding goons.

Now if only console players would listen to this video...

You don't need to upgrade a PC every year and it doesn't cost thousands for a PC. Also the games are cheaper.

The mis-information annoys me.
But it's not misinformation. If I want to play something like Dues EX I do need a really good and really expensive computer. A lot of the big mainstream games are graphics intensive and you can't get past the fact that you need a computer than can cope with that. You don't /need/ to put lots of money into a good computer, it's just if you don't do so you miss most of the mainstream releases...?

I don't particularly buy the whole genre argument some people mentioned in the facebook comments. RTS games are a tad trickier, but I'm comfortable enough with any other genre to play just fine. But hey, unless I exclusively stuck to one genre, I couldn't see much reason to buy an entire new machine for a tad more convenience.

That being said I agree with the video. I use both consoles and a PC. The consoles are for mainstream titles (with the occasional Xbox Live Indie game) while my PC gaming is done pretty much exclusively via Steam. I love buying old games that are years old at discounted prices. There are quite a few I wanted back in the day I could never afford, and I'm free to play them. It's also where I go to play the strange Indie games. None of my PC games are particularly graphic intensive, but I love them all the same. (Unless the graphics are outright ugly it doesn't really reduce my enjoyment of the game) There's no doubt the PC offers are truly unique experience I wouldn't otherwise have, but I don't think I'd put all my eggs in that basket. So yes, I do both, and frankly it works out cheaper than just buying one high-performance computer. : )

Edit: It should be obvious, but I'm referring to the new Dues Ex.
Oh, and I'm really enjoying your videos Jim. I don't like your earlier ones, but most your newer ones are entertaining and make some interesting arguments.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
my pc has a Q6600 intel CPU, and a 3850 graphic card from ati and i still can run the newest games with a resolution of 1920x1080 and everything on high. no problems.

i did play "amnesia" and "the void" and they are both good games. sure they are not up to date with the graphics but the games as such are good. "amnesia" was good but dint find it scary at all. "the void" was really something special. use colours to defend and fight..., no way you can do this with a controller (console), to draw these symbols. i can recommend "the void" if you like something different for a change. surely worth a look. but its a slow game but really special made. available on steam ;) .
i also play doom on my system so as duke 3d. its hard not to play these classics.

sure, graphics are important but does not have to look amazing. as long it suits well with the atmosphere it wants to create, thats all i need. thats why i cant understand some people who complain about the source engine. i think its still a very good looking graphic which looks amazing and detailed. its hardware friendly and it works perfectly on slow pc's.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Baneat said:
sir.rutthed said:
Error 200 Stream not found. Please fix.
Works just fine.

A: What's that big sword?
B: What's that game that looked like Serious Sam but had a few weapons I haven't seen?

Thanks to the 9 people that have answered this question, you can stop now!
I don't know about the sword either, then maybe fan boy love to Warhammer?
That serious Sam game is Serious Sam 2, and Serious Sam 3.

I liked it, a lot, thank you Jim. *huge smile*

My only ask, could you make a small definition for each video, please?

RedHighwind07

Aug 11, 2011
Love "Jester's of the Moon" in the background. anyway I totally agree that you find incredibly good games that don't require a beast to run. Especially when the originality of next gen games has gone completely down the toilet (I'm looking at you MW3 and BF3).

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
Only problem with PC gaming as I see it is that the primary PC gaming operating system is owned by a company that's best interest is to see PC gaming die in a fire.

Piecewise

Apr 18, 2008
Well, console gaming does have one advantage: No DRM.

Anyways, did we really need another video about how great pc gaming is? Yes, it's good, thanks, I really needed to be told that again. Also, nothing better then being told something we've heard a million times from a pompous annoying obese asshole.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Kapol said:
My main problem with PC gaming is (and this is something I'll likely take a lot of crap for and is entirely personal preference) the mouse and keyboard layout. I hate mouse and keyboard. It drives me insane. Don't get me wrong, I still play some that require it from time to time. Games like Killing Floor get used every so often. But, as I'm getting more into PC gaming thanks to having a decent laptop and a fairly good gaming rig, I normally just end up using my wired 360 controller at this point. But not having controller as an option has caused me to not buy games I otherwise would have bought in a heartbeat.

Other then that, my problem with the main platform of PC gaming, Steam, is that you don't actually own your games and they reserve the right to take access to them away from you for just about any reason they can think of. That, for me, is a major problem. And since a lot of bigger-named games are using Steam as their DRM, it makes it unavoidable.

I do think that it's fairly funny that the same group who says 'graphics don't matter as much as gameplay' to defend their 'system of choice' so quickly go to the fact that PC games can have better graphics as a defense.
Read the EULA of any PC game, unless you bought it before 2005 or from from GOG you don't own it either, you just have a licence to use it. Don't go accusing Bioware of selling their souls to EA either.

Graphics are nice and all and I'll admit I do like a good looking game, however the games I'm playing the most at the moment are Frozen Synapse, Minecraft, and well yes Deus Ex: Human Resources is an ok looking game but not overly resource intensive.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
octafish said:
Kapol said:
My main problem with PC gaming is (and this is something I'll likely take a lot of crap for and is entirely personal preference) the mouse and keyboard layout. I hate mouse and keyboard. It drives me insane. Don't get me wrong, I still play some that require it from time to time. Games like Killing Floor get used every so often. But, as I'm getting more into PC gaming thanks to having a decent laptop and a fairly good gaming rig, I normally just end up using my wired 360 controller at this point. But not having controller as an option has caused me to not buy games I otherwise would have bought in a heartbeat.

Other then that, my problem with the main platform of PC gaming, Steam, is that you don't actually own your games and they reserve the right to take access to them away from you for just about any reason they can think of. That, for me, is a major problem. And since a lot of bigger-named games are using Steam as their DRM, it makes it unavoidable.

I do think that it's fairly funny that the same group who says 'graphics don't matter as much as gameplay' to defend their 'system of choice' so quickly go to the fact that PC games can have better graphics as a defense.
Read the EULA of any PC game, unless you bought it before 2005 or from from GOG you don't own it either, you just have a licence to use it. Don't go accusing Bioware of selling their souls to EA either.

Graphics are nice and all and I'll admit I do like a good looking game, however the games I'm playing the most at the moment are Frozen Synapse, Minecraft, and well yes Deus Ex: Human Resources is an ok looking game but not overly resource intensive.
I suppose that only really strengthens my arguement against it in that respect. But even ones you download from others places (GOG, Amazon, etc) won't lock you out for being 'banned' from them (though I doubt you could be banned from those places anyways unless you got caught doing something illegal like using other's credit cards). It might be in the EULA, but Steam, or any other major 'pc platform' I suppose, makes it easy to lock you out of all of your games for doing something wrong in just one of them.

Also, where did the Bioware thing come from anyways? I don't remember mentioning them at all...

I'd say that Frozen Synapsis and Minecraft don't really use great graphical power because they decide to go with a very stylized look. Sort of like what they did for Limbo; get rid of the need for graphics since there's no budget to make them by giving the game 'it's own style.' Not that that's a bad thing mind you.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Kapol said:
snip
Also, where did the Bioware thing come from anyways? I don't remember mentioning them at all...
snip
EA locked a guy out of Dragon Age 2 completely because he said the Bioware had sold their souls to EA on a Bioware forum. It isn't just Steam that can stop you accessing your software. Ubisoft, EA and others can do it too.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
lol This is so freaking true.

I can play Crysis 2 on max graphics and it looks so freaking beautiful you want to cry but OH MY GOD do I feel horribly guilty when I wander off and play Arcanum or Bastion or somthing.

I imagine looking across to the perpex window of my rig and seeing my second GTX580 graphics card with a forever alone face taped on to it.

:<

If anything really high spec games are the least of what I play. Even Skyrim doesn't have DX11 and tessalation. (Although there is going to be a high res texture pack I think)

However Crysis 2, DA2 and to a lesser extent Deus EX (The TR:Underworld engine? Really guys?).
look absolutely, rainbow spewingly, gorgeous.