Jimquisition: The Beautiful Irony of PC Gaming

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
Sgt. Sykes said:
The biggest problem with graphics is that good graphics is insanely expensive to make. Furthermore, the scale is more logarithmic than linear. 10% increase in 'graphics quality' can cost 50% more. So yes, you graphics whore, shut up. We can chose between stupid short simple linear games with 'gooooood' graphics every year or two, or complex, huge games with poorer graphics which take longer to make. Oh wait, we don't have the choice anymore. The short retarded games for graphics whores have won. Well, thanks.
Let me tell you how wrong you are with an example.
The witcher 2 was made by 1/3 of the budget of dragon age 2.
We all know which game had better graphics.

MrJoyless

May 26, 2010
Two of your first 4 examples are available on console...

What I say I miss about PC gaming is that i cant play Company of Heroes anymore without getting a new rig, since my wifes laptop is built for...well word processing and playing blu rays when we are on vacation.

But to be honest I have saved literally thousands of dollars in upgrades and new rigs since my old PCs motherboard fragged my processor and video card.

No I dont get to play a few good games on PC, namely the Witcher 1 and 2, Company of Heroes, and very possibly Diablo 3, but...I still have plenty of good games to play on my 360.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
octafish said:
Kapol said:
snip
Also, where did the Bioware thing come from anyways? I don't remember mentioning them at all...
snip
EA locked a guy out of Dragon Age 2 completely because he said the Bioware had sold their souls to EA on a Bioware forum. It isn't just Steam that can stop you accessing your software. Ubisoft, EA and others can do it too.
Aye, and I mentioned that they can ban you from single games. But EA didn't block him from every PC game he'd ever bought from them either, like Steam can. And that got fixed pretty quickly after it hapened as well (though that was likely to avoid bad PR). I'd much rather worry about being banned from each of my games individually if I do something fairly small in them then to worry if I'll be banned from all my games for doing something wrong in one of them or breaking the rules in some way that was never made clear.

iron skirt

Oct 24, 2009
my onley gameyng device is my PC (and a phone that hase sudoku) and i don't give a s**t about graphics... i only play older games and try new ones after they've proven to be awesome aftereveryone stops caring about how they lock... oh and this is how i treat the hole continuus ubgrade thing: every 5 years i buy a new witch i never upgreade... who says onley console gamers can do that?

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
I've always stuck to pc gaming for two reasons really...

1 - I'm always going to own a pc anyways, so for a little bit more, I can make it quite friendly to games.

2 - I prefer mouse and keyboard over any other control system.

So I haven't seen the need to own a console that just plays games - though yes, I'm aware that that statement is no longer true for the latest gen of consoles. I haven't owned a console since the days of the Sega, and frankly, I only got that console since I had an operation coming up and knew I was gonna be confined to bed or a couch during recovery.

However, Rockstar games seems to be intent of forcing me to buy a console; since they absolutely refuse to release Red Dead Redemption for pc... It's actually the first game that has really made me consider buying a console.

General BrEeZy

Jul 26, 2009
the only reason i dont do PC is because i dont have one of my own. as soon as i get a computer, im installing Halo 1, Portal, Minecraft, Tribes, etc etc.

Piecewise

Apr 18, 2008
Matthew94 said:
Piecewise said:
Zing said:
Piecewise said:
Well, console gaming does have one advantage: No DRM.
What?
Should say " None of the obtrusive, data mining drm that pc has to deal with, like origin."
It's getting there, look at online passes.
Yeah, but you can still buy the game without having to deal with always on drm or some sort of digital distribution system that never lets you actually own the game. There are a lot of pc games that force you to go through shit like that just to buy them, and there's no other way to do so.

Clonekiller

Dec 7, 2010
Truth. I still play Star Wars Force Commander (best Star Wars RTS ever) right after Third Age Total War, so yeah, graphics aren't everything. Though I still don't play anything 2D. Oh, did I mention I also play old games like Ocarina of Time on my PC? Yeah, PCs can do that.

Hazama Terumi

Aug 30, 2011
Thabn
Jim Sterling said:
The Beautiful Irony of PC Gaming

Beauty is only skin deep, and a pretty face can only go so far. Fortunately, Jim Sterling is both beautiful and wise, so he is basically the perfect lifeform. In a way, he is very much like PC gaming -- visually stunning on the surface, but with a depth that nobody appreciates.

Watch Video
Thank GOD For You!

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Arina Love said:
all those titles he was talking about....yeah i don't want to play them, well except Recettear. for everything else i want to play on pc that is exclusive to pc : witcher 2 and diablo III and for them i have to spend money to upgrade my PC. good thing witcher 2 coming to xbox. if my core2duo+8800gts will run Diablo III on very low settings then it's will be first PC game i played in years. My reason i'm on consoles because i like J-RPGs and console exclusives and don't care about graphics so i play on consoles all those games that on PC too, i can upgrade my PC just don't see point.
The "irony" I found here is that it used to be the other way around. If you wanted the highest end graphics, you'd have to buy a console. Simple as that. The consoles set the graphics threshold, and now the opposite has happened with PC.

As for your preferences, well they're very console-biased preferences. Thing is, there is so much more out there and playstyles out there that you won't find anywhere other than the indie PC market.