Jimquisition: The Best Looking Game of This Generation

Squidbulb

Jul 22, 2011
The most important part of this video to me was the part about Kirby Mass Attack, because I just remembered that I still haven't bought it. God dammit.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
I do agree with Jim's argument regarding how cartoonish graphics are often timeless compared to the nitty gritty stuff we often see today.

However, I disagree that Viva Piñata is the best example of this type of graphics this generation.

In terms of timelessness? I would argue that the original Valkyria Chronicles is MUCH more graphically capable than Viva Piñata.

While Viva is colourful simply because its primarily marketed as a children's game, Valkyria Chronicles goes a step further and tries to stand out of the crowd; its watercolour cell-shading is GORGEOUS, and I think the more subtle colouring is much more beautiful than the "LOOK I HAVE SO MANY COLOURS" of Viva, which in some cases is so bright its actually a bit sickening.

Not only that, but its soundtrack is also more mature and well done than Viva's, and overall its just a much more well-thought out presentation. Its bold enough to stand out from all the Call of Duty's and whatnot of this generation, but also subtle enough not to appear silly.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Ah, the old aesthetic versus graphical quality argument. You can be the greatest painter alive, with the most distinguished and vibrant color palette, but it won't matter if the subject of the painting isn't appealing in some way.

The Clown

Don't bother running
Jun 29, 2009
Jimothy Sterling said:
Why do people think I am in some sort of arms race with Extra Credits?

We cover similar topics. Overlap is inevitable, and I don't really watch their show regularly so I don't know what they cover. In any case, just because one series may have touched on a topic that doesn't automatically disqualify every other series in the world from covering it too.

Seriously, this whole, "oh mah gawd Extra Credits did this" thing is just ... weird.
Jim, although I agree to some degree with your points, you are focusing entirely on colour, quite a lot of modern shooters are grimy and bad but you didn't even mention Crysis, the game famed for being outstanding looking, you were just pushing the stereotypical hate-buttons that commonly represent any bad game. Cod has never been said to look good, it doesn't, battlefield looks gorgeous, gears looks gorgeous, viva is just bright, if you want true colourful good looking games go play some arcade titles.

SNCommand

Aug 29, 2011
I always thought Crysis and Uncharted had some of the best graphics this generation, and they were filled with color.

Itsthefuzz

Apr 1, 2010
Jimothy Sterling said:
Sorry, I can't believe that for a second. That's like, logistically impossible.
Isn't that basically the same thing as "Dividing by zero?" As in literally impossible.

Captcha: Harp On

Something that people seem to be doing to Jim for some reason.

herenowit

Feb 1, 2011
Jimothy Sterling said:

We cover similar topics. Overlap is inevitable, and I don't really watch their show regularly so I don't know what they cover. In any case, just because one series may have touched on a topic that doesn't automatically disqualify every other series in the world from covering it too.

Seriously, this whole, "oh mah gawd Extra Credits did this" thing is just ... weird.
"Simpsons did it!"

Personally, I like to see different peoples takes on similar subjects. I watch EC every week, and was actually pleased to see Jim take on similar subject matter. Not just because Jim is farking BOSS, but intelligent discourse is always a welcome thing.

To the video... spot on!

One of the big reasons why Torchlight 2 is much more compelling experience to me than Diablo 3 is the art style. You can have a dark atmosphere with out having to choose from a 4 color pallet of various stages of dog shit decay.

Keep up the good work Jim!

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
Jimothy Sterling said:

South park did it.

Anyhow thanks for calling the game a candy colored murder simulator. Ill spend 20 minutes tempting a rabbit to my garden then a snake will come in and eat it. As all my other pinatas come to feed on the brightly colored innards pouring from the dead husk of my rabbit children cheer in the background and I weep.

This is why the 4h kids were so weird in school. They didn't just know about the birds and the bees before anyone else they were making animals practice it for fun or profit. Then if everything went well they raised the child and ate it.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
trollpwner said:
Oh, COME ON Jim. You may not be the sharpest knife in the draw, but normally you aren't beaten to what you're saying by extra credits by *this* much. http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/graphics-vs.-aesthetics

See that? Season 2, episode 16. Over 50 weeks ago. 50 weeks! Almost a year. Ab-surd. *sigh* Oh well. Guess the actual content wasn't bad though. Even if extra credits did do it better.

EDIT: look at this! Yahtzee managed this in 2009 http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/6372-The-Conduit

Not saying Jim's point isn't relevant, but this really is leaving it late.
Was just about to point this out, good call.

Aesthetics are more important to how visually appealing a game is than actual graphical quality.

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
I totally hated this about this generation. Where are the freaking colours? It made me think that games from SVGA generation like Curse of Monkey Island looked so much better...

I can't choose one, but I like both Rayman Origins and Trine 2 this gen. I just hope this fad of brown and greys goes away for good next gen.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I take it you haven't played "Valkyria Chronicles" for the PS3?

Cell shaded, pretty good game play, mediocre voice acting.

While it's not as 'bright' as VP, it's got some damn fine 'not just black on red on grey' graphics and looks AMAZING on my HDTV.

Goliathvv

Nov 8, 2009
Agreed, Jim! Realistic games might be impressive during their current generation, but 10 years after, they will look like garbage. I remember seeing Def Jam on my friend's PS2 many years ago and saying "Holy shit, this looks amazing! It's so REAL!", nowadays? It's incredibly meh...

However, when I look today at Sonic 2, it still looks amazing. And no, it's not nostalgia, I really find this game to be ageless. If I play it today, 15 years after I first played it(I believe...), I still enjoy its graphics.

Unfortunatelly, I can't say the same about some other incredible games, like FF VII for instance(death threats in 3,2,1...). Don't get me wrong, FF VII is and AMAZING game, it really is and I have enjoyed it a lot! But to be honest, I find it REALLY hard to overlook the graphics today. =/ And believe me, I'm one of those guys who say "graphics aren't really important, gameplay is what it's about", and I stand by that! I really enjoy games like VVVVVV or Minecraft, but the question is that those games followed a specific ART STYLE which will not look dated eventually, whereas FF VII strived for something a little more realistic and "mechanical".

I guess the keywords here are "art style". Games that pick a style and don't worry too much about being realistic usually age better, while games that try to emulate the real world will eventually look dated. That occurs mainly because the hardware available during their generation has a limited computational capacity which will be considered ridiculous when the next generation comes around, just take a look at Moore's Law, it will make sense. :)

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Dude, I just got some little piñata crabs in my desert garden! They walk around and jump in glee and make little non-crab noises, then another piñata (or Professor Pester's punk ass) rolls up and eats them.

Good times.

More to the point, I've noticed this myself that the bright and vibrant games tend to look better overall. Viva Piñata: gorgeous. Sonic Generations: gorgeous. The current-gen Soul Calibur games: gorgeous. Say what you will about the games themselves, you'll notice a common trait between them: they're all gorgeous.

Oh, and no mention of JET SET RADIO/FUTURE?! No VIEWTIFUL JOE?! Blasphemy!

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
No love for Okami in your last gen section?

Stylised graphics will always age better than titles going for photo-realism.

That's why Journey will still look awesome in 10 year, and MGS 4 won't
I agree with this.

Also, you made me really want to play Wind Waker again... in fact, there were some amazingly good looking games on the Cube last gen, like Viewtiful Joe (wich was made by Clover Studios before Okami), F-Zero GX is still a looker, heck, it looks and runs way better than most Wii games, especially if you play it in 480p and widescreen.

In fact, despite it's bad reputation amongst most Escapees, the Wii has some amazingly good looking games and I know I'll get quoted by this.

Also, Rayman Origins was an amazingly good looking game too.

It's sad that grey, brown and black were the colors of this generation, despite being the "HD gen".